FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Newport County 2:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 January 2024

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
Newport County 0:1 Man Utd - Bruno (7')

Newport County 0:2 Man Utd - Mainoo (13')

Newport County 1:2 Man Utd - Morris (36')

Newport County 2:2 Man Utd - Evans (47')

Newport County 2:3 Man Utd - Antony (68')

Newport County 2:4 Man Utd - Hojlund (90' + 4)

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Good tough away win, we've found our level

King Eric 7

Not great but we did the job. Got a bit unlucky with the deflected goal.

BarstoolProphet

Our defence will look completely different with Shaw, Casemiro and especially Martinez back :drool: :wenger:

Woodenlung

I just can't understand this team. We were so clinical for our first two goals. I think we scored twice with our first two shots. Then after that we wasted so many gilt edged chances and confidence just drained away.

This was a perfunctory 0-3 cruise that we blew through our inability to finish our chances. We've done it so often this season as well. Onana gets the blame for our CL exit, but we wasted so many excellent opportunities in the Galatasaray and Copenhagen games to put the result beyond doubt.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
You lot kinda suck and really need an upgrade on EtH.

Chairman Steve

We made that look so fecking hard. Not helped by Garnacho’s greed, constant overcomplication in the final third and poor touches in the final third.

Their first goal was a fluke but their second goal was poor from us.

Eric_the_Red99

Can’t tell if Lineker was being sarcastic when he described our habit of beating lower division teams in the cup as impressive…

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Very happy! Got nervous at 2-2. We have to stop being complacent. Anyway, it's a victory.

pauldyson1uk

A win is a win , but OMG that was an ugly win, Newport took the game to us and in parts were better than us.
This is why the FA Cup should never be seeded the small teams will always have a chance, ask Ipswich about that.

Drifter

American
We got the win, but still not seeing what ETH is trying to do

Superunknown

Typical United performance under Ten Hag. Very poor. Wasted opportunities in the first half, let them back into the game despite being 2-0 up, and just too much selfish play from some of our players. Garnacho needs a slap.

Meh. We're not improving.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Not sure what Danny Murphy was watching, but Mainoo was comfortably the best United player on the pitch IMHO. I genuinely enjoy watching him play.
Don’t think he touched it anywhere near enough. Shaw, Martinez and Bruno the only players who played well. Antony at least padded the stats but him and Garnacho hurt us today.

NZT-One

Well done. I thought we played quite well, especially in 1st half. 2nd half was a little nervous but we did the necessary at the end of the day. Saw some good football today, granted, the opposition was very limited and gave us room but still, having Shaw and Martinez at the back gives you more confidence, Casemiro next to Mainoo seems like a very good pairing and while I think, Bruno was quite good today, I think this formation will see him being found out. He is too often required to play out from the back and I just don't like him there, too weak. Well done

always_hoping

Got there eventually and scored 4 goals which is rare enough for United this season.

Some before the game thought it would be wise to start with a weakened team but today showed it would have been FA cup knock out if that was done.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We made hard work of that and it was a hard watch. Although, with better decision making and less selfishness, it would have been a over by time Newport got on the scoresheet.

Our defending remains slapstick.

Irwin99

Two evenly matched teams but we just squeezed the result :D

Pleased for Hojlund. I really like Garnacho and he played well but he has to realise he's meant to create goals as well as score them and we have a 70 million striker who is low on confidence and needs support.

Alemar

Not the best of performances. Why Amad didn’t get his Minutes is a mystery

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
It'll be another tirade of shite, no doubt. I'm weary of the negativity. I'm taking enjoyment wherever I can. 4 good goals, our sub keeper had a decent run out, Rasmus on the scoresheet again, our renowned 'mental midgets' rallied after putting themselves in pole position for a world class collapse to get over the line comfortably enough in the end. We created loads, gave up no clear cut chances, goals included and are sitting pretty in the 5th round. Cracking cup tie.

Gordon S

I am so naive.
Genuinly believed that our strongest possible 11 would dominate a team from the bottom parts of league 2. But it was a close game. They had their chances and we had to dig deep to win. Hard to find the words.

Yanited__

Don't know how to feel after that. First one to say I'd take the result. And I'm no different on this occasion.

Happy we won however, felt like we made a real meal of that. Can accept it against a PL side, not a league 2 team.

This team clearly lacks confidence as well as direction. Most noticeably in posession against a deep block.

ETH has a big 4 months ahead of him. Make or break for his job. Need to start seeing something develop rather than relying on making games ping pong matches with counter attacks.

TheReligion

Abusive
Good old fashioned cup tie. Credit to Newport for their heart and fight.

Same issues for United in that the team doesn’t take its chances and doesn’t have that ruthless streak. That said the two goals conceded were both deflected in.

Walters_19_MuFc

Newport had 17 attempts, with 7 on target. No disrespect, but this is the reason we concede a lot. We are simply too easy to play against, and if we played against a stronger team today, we'd have probably lost.

Having said that, we won and scored 4 decent goals. Really should have had a few more too, but ten Hag really needs to address the problem we have off the ball because we're so vulnerable.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 165 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newport County win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Newport County 0:3 Man Utd
  • 18% Newport County 0:2 Man Utd