FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Newport County 2:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 January 2024

MrBest

We are 11 men playing a game of football at the weekend. No teamwork, no philosophy, no eagerness and very complacent. We scored 4, that was great, what concerned me is not the 2 goals we conceded but the amount of chances. We are a long way off where we need to be.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
A league 2 manager was quickly able to adapt his tactics and formation to deal with our "plan". Says it all really.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Strange game really. Should have gone for them at two nil but switched off as we have done so many times in the last 18 months. It could have been 6 or 7 by half time.

It still gives me fear thinking about the Sevilla game last season, 2 nil up and complete collapse.

Herman Toothrot

There are good times ahead for Manchester United. I feel genuinely optimistic, but I don't think Ten Hag will be a part of it.

AndySmith1990

We're a pretty rubbish PL team, but I think we'd do well in league two with Ten Hag

buckooo1978

Moments FC again really.... did well on break with some nice early goals

Just lacked good possession or chance creation as game went on

How many passes in to Hojlund did we make?

Looking forward to a manager with an effective plan besides counter attacking

MonkeysMagic

Still in the cup so there is some positivity! But honestly, this Utd team isn't capable of dominating any teams, not from the PL,not from league 2! Quite clear, apart from the blinkered few that hark back to 1992 and the fact that 'manager was given time and came good' the rest know that we are not going to achieve success under ETH. Its a case of seeing the season out, hopefully Ineos are talking to the right managerial candidate now, and we wave these tumescent tactics off!

tjb

Still in the cup so there is some positivity! But honestly, this Utd team isn't capable of dominating any teams, not from the PL,not from league 2! Quite clear, apart from the blinkered few that hark back to 1992 and the fact that 'manager was given time and came good' the rest know that we are not going to achieve success under ETH. Its a case of seeing the season out, hopefully Ineos are talking to the right managerial candidate now, and we wave these tumescent tactics off!
More than anything, I think that's what this game proved. It isn't about the players. It's not about their quality. It's about the system not being set up well enough to control games against anyone. Which explains why we gave up all the leads we had in the Champions League. We don't control games and we don't know how to using this system. This means we're either under the cosh or we attack. It's also quite clear ETH is a terrible defensive manager. This is why we lose the games against the leagues top 9 away from home. It's easy to see. It's easy playing Go Ahead Eagles when you De Ligt and Frenkie De Jong or Licha Martinez. It's essentially like playing Newport County. So obviously the system looks good. Even Antony scored today.

Crimson King

:eek: Wow, so in some language it really IS pronounced Bruno "Fernanj"?

I thought it was some kind of FIFA'23 error.

Who here speaks this language? Why "Fernanj"?
It's how you pronounce it in Portuguese. If you've ever seen Portuguese written down you'd think it was a very similar language to Spanish, but then if you hear someone speak Portuguese you'll know it's nothing like it.

Red00012

We are a pity when we get to the final third.
Too slow moving it , not seeing the runner , not picking out Hojlund , miscontrolling it , getting the ball stuck under his foot, not playing a through ball and kicking a ball directly at a player diving across to block. You name it we did it all today.

justsomebloke

Newport had 17 attempts, with 7 on target. No disrespect, but this is the reason we concede a lot. We are simply too easy to play against, and if we played against a stronger team today, we'd have probably lost.

Having said that, we won and scored 4 decent goals. Really should have had a few more too, but ten Hag really needs to address the problem we have off the ball because we're so vulnerable.
We never close down the flanks, we just fall back and defend the box.

Leonzo1

Strange game really. Should have gone for them at two nil but switched off as we have done so many times in the last 18 months. It could have been 6 or 7 by half time.

It still gives me fear thinking about the Sevilla game last season, 2 nil up and complete collapse.
Seville, Galatasaray, Copenhagen...
We threw Europe away two seasons in a row because of our abysmal mentality.

Flying_Heckfish

He's absolutely no clue on how to set us up. Terrible in defence, and terrible in attack.

We won today because we just have better players, and in the end that told. But there were even moments at 2-2 where it looked like we might cave to the pressure and lose, something we've seen time and time again.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
This was the biggest day of their lives, in lots of ways. They gave their all. Lovely fans, good people. Tricky assignment for United. Their first goal was a fluke, but fair play. They did great overall but United wore them down. Bruno was fantastic. Rashford thing overshadowed the prep. Anthony was good today. Garna a bit immature. Shaw was fantastic

Strangest Tribe

4 away goals scored
Hoijland (?) scored despite nobody seemingly wanted to pass to him
Casemiro back
Licha back
Shaw back
both their goals were deflected
Not a bad next round draw
They were playing the game of their lives so were always going to run that extra yard

not saying there is no room for improvement but the negativity at what turned out to be a comfortable win away in the FA Cup is not the doom and gloom it appears to be.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Yep credit for that, but you’d expect a top player to bury 3-4 with the chances he had today. Nowhere near good enough currently.
Rubbish!

On that basis, we should have won 12-2 with hattricks for Garnacho, Bruno, Antony and Hojland.

Do you not think before you post? Football doesn't work like that and never has.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
:eek: Wow, so in some language it really IS pronounced Bruno "Fernanj"?

I thought it was some kind of FIFA'23 error.

Who here speaks this language? Why "Fernanj"?
Yes, it's a good approximation of the way it's pronounced

Oranges038

Felt like a preseason game, several players returning from injury, easing themselves through the game. Created some good openings but the final ball as usual was dreadful. It's not that hard to flash a ball across the goal every now and then, cut backs to no one or shots into bodies, it's infuriating looking at the same poor decisions being made over and over.

Still too sloppy on and the ball and very slow to recover when it's lost, they had way too many attempts at goal for the amount of ball they saw.

Also didn't see the point in making subs so late, absolute waste of time.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Rubbish!

On that basis, we should have won 12-2 with hattricks for Garnacho, Bruno, Antony and Hojland.

Do you not think before you post? Football doesn't work like that and never has.
Are you forgetting this is agaisnt league 2 opposition? If that’s the barometer for a good performance just because he’s played a simple pass and scored a tap in then that’s crazy. He along with Garnacho were the single biggest reason we didn’t win the game by more because of a combination of poor finishing, poor decision making and poor execution.

What would you say Antony actually did well today? I’d honestly say I’ve seen him play far far better than that.

Zed is not dead

Felt like a preseason game, several players returning from injury, easing themselves through the game. Created some good openings but the final ball as usual was dreadful. It's not that hard to flash a ball across the goal every now and then, cut backs to no one or shots into bodies, it's infuriating looking at the same poor decisions being made over and over.

Still too sloppy on and the ball and very slow to recover when it's lost, they had way too many attempts at goal for the amount of ball they saw.

Also didn't see the point in making subs so late, absolute waste of time.
Yeah this is something you could see right from the start.
Licha, Shaw, Casemiro were quite sloppy on the ball. It’s hard to blame them as they’re coming back from long injuries.
However you can feel it impacts the whole team as those 3 are the ones supposed to help us with recycling possession

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Thought he did ok. With him and Martinez back in the side we should have a much more physical presence.
I thought he did OK, in fact I think they all did, some of the takes on here are pathetic IMO

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
There's off the pace and then there's off the pace versus Newport.
Pretty much every player is going to be off the pace no matter who the opposition is when they've not played for a few months, match fitness isn't something you just turn on

lex talionis

I have no idea whether the "stats" say whether United or Newport County were the better side today over the 90+ minutes, but for at least half the game Newport couldn't believe it when they saw their boots on our necks.

How we got to the point where only a decade ago we lifted the PL trophy and now humiliate ourselves to struggle to put away a League Two side I have no idea.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I don't about most of you but when our wingers, Antony and Garnacho, get the ball on the wing in a favorable positions, I have little confidence they will do anything good. This is especially damning because we were playing a lower level team. Surely ETH has to see this. Surely he would consider Amad over Antony. I'm just so confused with our manager.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Are you forgetting this is agaisnt league 2 opposition? If that’s the barometer for a good performance just because he’s played a simple pass and scored a tap in then that’s crazy. He along with Garnacho were the single biggest reason we didn’t win the game by more because of a combination of poor finishing, poor decision making and poor execution.

What would you say Antony actually did well today? I’d honestly say I’ve seen him play far far better than that.
Based on your username, I think it's safe to say you're not the greatest judge of the game ;)

Wolfbot

Looked a bit better creatively today with the four goals but that was more down to the disparity in the quality of the players on each side than anything else.

Same poor set up let a league two side pick the ball up in space and get shots off, even if from distance. The amount of space they had to work their equaliser was criminal as well. Really late substitutions was another odd decision, what was the point of that?

Good to score a few goals and get over the line and into the next round, (thought an embarassing replay was on the cards for a while), but still felt the game was managed pretty poorly. Ten Hag's post match interview was pretty poor and seemed a bit defensive in my view, not impressed by him in any way today.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 165 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newport County win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Newport County 0:3 Man Utd
  • 18% Newport County 0:2 Man Utd