LC W League Cup Third Round

Northampton 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 21 September 2016

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The midfield was better but there is still no cohesion between whatever attacking front 3/4 we put out.

Sam M

We dealt with that fairly well, all thing considered:
Thuggish opponents, more concerned with practicing their footballing jujitsu, disgrace officials, horrible stadium, playing with low confidence etc

spwd

Phil didn't even answer the question about if he would be surprised if he doesn't start against Leicester ffs

ants7

Yeah, job done but not overly convinced.

Love Herrera. Rashford doing Rashford yet again. Carrick was great but not too sure about him against stronger side. But indeed, maybe Pogba, Herrera in front of Carrick is something we should try. Want Memphis to succeed, I really do, but can't see it happen, sadly.

For christ sake - Rooney, do yourself a favor and stay off the field and give someone else a chance. Enough is enough. He's becoming a parody of himself.

All in all, I really hope that we build on this and get the result against Leicester.

Also, in other games against weaker sides, would love to see Mensah at DM or similar position. Was not good at all at the position he was played in tonight.

Coops73

A good important win, Carrick and Ander were outstanding and it'd be great if they both start on Saturday but that ain't gonna happen. Rooney was fecking garbage again but hey! he'll be on the pitch on Saturday.

markhrad

I thought we lacked cohesion. It was like a bunch of guys who have never played with each other before. The continuity we had during the Fergie era has gone, its like starting over from scratch. Any player that was here or was brought here that threatened Rooney's status was soon gotten rid of, RVP, Nani, Falcao, di Maria and if things were allowed to continue, next would be Zlatan and Pogba.
On a positive note, Carrick looked like a real Utd player, comfortable on the ball and always looking for forward movement. He needs to play with Pogba.

Blue always red

We look so similar to the LVG team. 3 individual moments of brilliance, maybe Herrera's was a goodish team goal but there is still a massive lack of cohesion in the team. We just don't look like we will trouble better opposition.

manichester

Unconvincing, Rashford and Herrara the only bright sparks, the rest well should not be anywhere near this club, nearer to Northamptons level.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Rooney couldn't even get a goal against Northampton??? Not even a decent attempt??? Sorry but his time is up. Still carrying a lot of mediocrity in that squad.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Rooney couldn't even get a goal against Northampton??? Not even a decent attempt??? Sorry but his time is up. Still carrying a lot of mediocrity in that squad.
Think only Carrick, Herrera and Rashford came out of it with credit, Morgan and Memphis tried. The defence is still a shambles.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Think only Carrick, Herrera and Rashford came out of it with credit, Morgan and Memphis tried. The defence is still a shambles.
Agreed. That second string is gonna get murdered against City if Jose plays them again.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Couldn't catch the match unfortunately, is it worth watching online somewhere?
Nice to see Herrera scoring, he's looked miles better under Jose so far. Same with Carrick really, I give him a lot of stick, well not so much stick but because of his age I'm sceptical about whether or not he can still be the business in that holding role. However given our other options there he might still be the best option we have there. Herrera I like there as well but I think he's wasted a bit there.

TheReligion

Abusive
Thought we played well and controlled the game bar 10 minutes before half time. Was never concerned about Northampton.

Rooney was very average again though and Rojo dismal.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Carrick, Herrera were good. The kid Marcus is something else. Not just the talent, but his desire and attitude. Wonderful.

Otherwise, very happy with the win - could care less of the level of opposition. We needed to stop the rut.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A win is a win is a win.
I have no complaints.

For those soured by the fact that Rooney played: remember Rooney is the club/country captain and he will continue to play games, when he wants to play.
Hopefully by the end of the season, he will be phased out, but for now, I expect him to be the first name of the team sheet, regardless of how bad he plays in his previous game.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We didn't lose against a lower league team which was a nice change from the LvG regime.

GwilDor

Anything but a win tonight would have been a disaster. Takes from the game are;
  • Rooney is at rock bottom, and not coming back
  • Carrick provides stability and structure, much needed. But can he still do it vs PL opponents?
  • Blind has started a nasty habit of making potentially match deciding errors.
  • Memphis wants it too much it seems. His trickery is potentially effective vs half-shitty opponents, but he seriously needs to develop his allround game.
Most importantly to me, this game doesn't prove anything. For almost the whole game N'hampton allowed us to make 2-3 touches on the ball before we were under pressure, that makes it easy to shine, and still we hardly shone. That will be very much different at the weekend, we need to step it up a couple of notches, and we all know a thing which would help a lot...

stu_1992

Glad we got back to winnign ways tonight. Especially nice to see Rashford keep his good run going (even if he'll never score an easier one). He needs to start versus Leicester. I always like to see Herrera on the score-sheet too.

Man of the Match

Ander Herrera image Ander Herrera 49% of 695 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 507 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Northampton win
  • Draw