PL W FA Premier League

Norwich City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 May 2016

AR87

That was really poor.

LVG deserves a lot of blame for this season and the lack of attacking play, but the other part of it is that Woodward has done a poor job of giving us options with out front 4. We have 3 players with the pace in Martial, Depay and Rashford.

Depay looks completely out of sorts right now and Borthwick Jackson's lethargic running today, failing to give him width on the overlap really hurt him. This has been a problem for him all year unless he plays with an LB that makes overlapping runs.

Rashford wasn't even a signing.

Additionally the RW position and a midfielder that can carry the ball forward with any urgency in the middle of the field either as a CAM in a 4-2-3-1 or the most advanced midfielder in a 4-3-3 really does us no favors. Even when we've had Rashford and Martial playing we haven't made enough opportunities for ourselves on the counter because of this reason.

We need to bring in a quality striker, an athletic attacking central midfielder and a pacey RW. This is all in addition to switching managers.

Acole9

Outstanding
It was an awful game but a win is a win at the end of the day and West Ham losing has made it even more important.

Oneunited26

You just look at that period where we went 8 games without a win, imagine we picked up atleast 3 wins out of that 8, we would have easy made the top 4, this is why we need a change

RedDevil@84

Same old story. Lower teams sit back. We dont know what to do.
We won. 3 pts. Thank you very much.

Special mention to CBJ. That was lazy, boring, Yaya Toure level of performance. No form, no commitment. Hope he was not drinking after winning the U21 award.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I had the match on but barely watched it. What channel is the European championship on?
I'm just about ready to cancel Sky/BT now.
They are usually shared I think between BBC/ITV, or at least it won't be on a pay channel.

Roosney

Take the pace out of that forward line and we are struggling. Memphis does not have pace, neither does Rooney. Lingard does, but has no end product.
I disagree to a point about Lingard, he has scored a few screamers this season, the Chelsea goal was magnicifient. But yeah, he hardly has end product with the amount of starts/minutes he's been given.

montpelier

I turned it off at HT, I see that we should now finish 5th, don't see 4th really but would be funny/on if City lose tomorrow.

Those 6-7 passes sideways in the 15 yard wide strip about 30yds from goal on 30mins. Don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that. Nearly got messed up a couple of times as well, quite amazing level of pointlessness to it.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I don't know how long you've supported Utd but there were loads of games like this under SAF.They were usually at the back end of the season and we were fighting for the title.People do have selective amnesia when it comes to Utd performances
I've supported United since 1958 and my memory is still good thank God.

There were a few instances when SAF played the game for the result but never ever did we have 90% of a Season playing such horrible football game-after-game.

You might be happy but I'm not, and from the comments it seems that the great majority, by far, are not too.

NK86

Same old story. Lower teams sit back. We dont know what to do.
We won. 3 pts. Thank you very much.

Special mention to CBJ. That was lazy, boring, Yaya Toure level of performance. No form, no commitment. Hope he was not drinking after winning the U21 award.
Yeah. CBJ was strangely looking disinterested. For a young player who is still making his mark, one would imagine he will give it all to stake a claim in the team.

Lentwood

If you read through these posts and didn't know the score you would have thought we had been beaten 0-3!

Why can't people accept the fact that we are boring and insipid to watch for two reasons, and two reasons only;

A) Our playing staff are inadequate. Not necessarily because they aren't talented but because we lack physical speed and power in keys areas
B) It takes two to tango and in virtually every game we play the opposition stick 10 behind the ball at all times

At no point, ever, does van Gaal say to the players "I want you to pass backwards". Whether you love him, hate him or indifferent if you think van Gaal is the reason we are boring lets see how bored we all are when we get a new manager and we play open, expansive football and get beat

JoaquinJoaquin

I've supported United since 1958 and my memory is still good thank God.

There were a few instances when SAF played the game for the result but never ever did we have 90% of a Season playing such horrible football game-after-game.

You might be happy but I'm not, and from the comments it seems that the great majority, by far, are not too.
Yeah I agree with your post 100%. I could tolerate a 'professional' performance from a Fergie team a couple of times a season, but watching this crap currently (which is much worse then any Fergie performance) every game nearly for 18 months has actually killed my love for football. When Van Gaal is announced to stay on in a few weeks I think that will be my queue to take a break from going to OT and watching every game religiously. I'll watch when I'm not doing anything. Sick of wasting multiple hours per week to watch something so bad.

montpelier

The front 4 today were not exactly likely to provide a thrill-fest. Did anyone think?

Mata's neat enough & might do good/interesting things occasionally but the other 3 not known for their outstanding brilliance (these days)

Theonas

Scout
If you read through these posts and didn't know the score you would have thought we had been beaten 0-3!

Why can't people accept the fact that we are boring and insipid to watch for two reasons, and two reasons only;

A) Our playing staff are inadequate. Not necessarily because they aren't talented but because we lack physical speed and power in keys areas
B) It takes two to tango and in virtually every game we play the opposition stick 10 behind the ball at all times

At no point, ever, does van Gaal say to the players "I want you to pass backwards". Whether you love him, hate him or indifferent if you think van Gaal is the reason we are boring lets see how bored we all are when we get a new manager and we play open, expansive football and get beat
Shhhh. You'd be sent to a mental facility talking like that around here. The narrative about LvG has been set long ago and it will take Brazil 1970 kind of performances to change it for so many.

JoaquinJoaquin

So because Van Gaal has bought poor and let the squad turn into crap we should happy and accept it?

LVG won't directly say 'pass backwards' but his game plan is possession football from the back and he doesn't like adventure and risk taking so that results in the tumescent backwards football we play.

When we get a new manager the football is GUARANTEED to be better then this. If you think otherwise then we have finally found out who the 'Van Gaal happy clappers' are.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
These are the type of wins that used to win us titles.
I don't know how long you've supported Utd but there were loads of games like this under SAF.They were usually at the back end of the season and we were fighting for the title.People do have selective amnesia when it comes to Utd performances
Yes, but the boring/poor wins, used to be mixed with some great performances.
Under LVG we get poor performance followed by another poor performance.

If we had this 1-0 brand of football, but won the title and did well in the CL, LVG would have an argument that he is getting the results which were asked of him. But the 4th place trophy is nothing to brag about. In fact, he should be embarrassed at only being capable of getting 4th place, when he was hired to challenge for the title. Bayern, Barca, Madrid, PSG, Porto, Juventus, etc, would've all fired him by now.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Yeah I agree with your post 100%. I could tolerate a 'professional' performance from a Fergie team a couple of times a season, but watching this crap currently (which is much worse then any Fergie performance) every game nearly for 18 months has actually killed my love for football. When Van Gaal is announced to stay on in a few weeks I think that will be my queue to take a break from going to OT and watching every game religiously. I'll watch when I'm not doing anything. Sick of wasting multiple hours per week to watch something so bad.
I agree and I also think that the above is the general feeling by many of us United supporters.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I can't believe that there are a few who, during the LVG years, actually enjoyed watching United.

The club should have got rid of him after our early exit from the Champions League and engaged Mourinho before the January transfer window.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I don't understand LVG. I think I know what he's doing and it might have worked but he knows we don't have the players to make it work so why are we persisting in this nonsense. We miss too many chances - so to look to create one and control the game is insanity. What is wrong in trying to create chances? The way I see it, we need to create a ton usually to hit the target once never mind get a goal. Our goal difference says a lot. How many negative players do you need to play, to be confident enough to say to the players - get shots in on goal. In these kind of games the players are so void of any bullishness. People talk about West Ham on Tuesday - but with the way LVG sets out his team, the last home game might be even harder.

Certain players are only happy to even attenpt to beat their man once and that's it. They stop. So much of the game is played in front of team and people in great positions to take on their man simply don't. Crazy mofos.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I really don't want us to get top 4 but then I think of Man City in the CL again and I think .. feck it, they're even worse. Honestly the only english team which would actually be refreshing to watch in the CL next year would be Liverpool.
THIS,

I'd rather not watch CL next season than endure another one with LvG.
THIS,

I had zero emotion when our goal went in, and zero tension in the last few minutes about Norwich scoring, cheers LvG you've just about totally killed my love for the game.
...AND THIS!

Now feck off van Gaal!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So because Van Gaal has bought poor and let the squad turn into crap we should happy and accept it?

LVG won't directly say 'pass backwards' but his game plan is possession football from the back and he doesn't like adventure and risk taking so that results in the tumescent backwards football we play.

When we get a new manager the football is GUARANTEED to be better then this. If you think otherwise then we have finally found out who the 'Van Gaal happy clappers' are.
I am still absolutely amazed by the amount of people who even now after two years of tumescent, drossy shite will STILL make excuses for van Gaal and justify hes existence at the club!

Absolutely amazing! :lol:

C'est Moi Cantona

It was an awful game but a win is a win at the end of the day and West Ham losing has made it even more important.
I wish I could feel like this, I think I used up all my tension and emotion for us getting top 4 last season in the expectation of not been in a worse potion 12 months later.

if we get top 4 then great, but it'll be through the sheer ineptitude of City if we do, and you have to fear the consequences of such an event anyway.

M4nu4Life

I thought he was clever resting players for Westham game and it worked just.

Cathy Ferguson

We were desperate for some pace, power and dribbling skills. We are so slow and we have been like that for most of the season. You know what to expect and they truly delivered. Depay, Lingard, and Rooney (except for his assist) were poor, Mata and Herrera slightly better.

Nik70

In a season of boring games this one was probably easily the worst. Scary considering how crap we've been this season. No Martial and no Rashford really hurt us in the attacking sense. Rooney was awful up front. Smalling a beast at the back.

EmPeeKay

The post-match highlight of the game for me was Juan Mata showing what a true gent he was by embracing that handicapped child in the wheelchair and allowing the father to take a picture.

Other than that the match was just the usual snoozefest in which we somehow managed to get a goal.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Team is fecking boring. Don't want to sit through another year of this garbage football, especially without CL. Know that I certainly will sit through it all though.

chicha14

:eek:

I knew our away record was poor but that pretty much sums up the position we're in. I stand corrected, I am sure the commentator mentioned that before the Norwich game we had only beaten Villa(only just) away from home against the bottom 8(losses to Swansea, west brom, Sunderland and Bournemouth. Draws against Newcastle and Palace. Now beat Norwich and Villa 0-1). What is it that is preventing us from getting these results? Performing like we did today as if the 4th spot was already out of reach, our attack was as uncreative as Norwich's.

Perrick Dubois

Yes I think you do have selective amnesia here.

Sounded like a dreadful game. Only saw the goal, not going to try and catch the replay. Awful possession team playing awful possession football, whats new.

Nucks

RT History Department
I can't take another season of this tumescent football.
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

You mean torpid.

tumescent means engorged, excited, swollen.

Torpid means slow, lethargic.

Esquire

In what way did I make us sound better than we were?

Today was a very typical performance under Van Gaal. Possession, possession, possesion and little to no end product. Once we scored the goal, we were able to defend the lead, which, in a way, has been one of our very few postives this season.
I think you are being actually kind to the performance. I would have called us absolutely crap. We didn't really have to defend the lead as Norwich had very poor quality in their strikers.

prath92

Couldn't really care about the performance. It's not like a 6-0 win would have made me happy about this season. Three 1-0
Wins and van gaal to be replaced by mourinho is good enough at present.

Lentwood

I am still absolutely amazed by the amount of people who even now after two years of tumescent, drossy shite will STILL make excuses for van Gaal and justify hes existence at the club!

Absolutely amazing! :lol:
Its the attitude of the average football fan that is the problem. The vast majority bleat on about building for the future, blooding the kids, developing a style, dominating football matches and winning trophies year after year and then even after a victory sit crying into their keyboards and demanding change. How are managers supposed to build anything when fans definition of a good or bad manager is usually based on his last result?? Its a credit to our club that we are giving the initial 3 year plan every chance to succeed, because otherwise you become Liverpool - appoint a manager, win a cup, buy some players, turns to shit, sack the manager, sell the players, new manager, repeat.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Its the attitude of the average football fan that is the problem. The vast majority bleat on about building for the future, blooding the kids, developing a style, dominating football matches and winning trophies year after year and then even after a victory sit crying into their keyboards and demanding change. How are managers supposed to build anything when fans definition of a good or bad manager is usually based on his last result?? Its a credit to our club that we are giving the initial 3 year plan every chance to succeed, because otherwise you become Liverpool - appoint a manager, win a cup, buy some players, turns to shit, sack the manager, sell the players, new manager, repeat.
On his last result??? :eek: For feck's sake man, where have you been the last two years??? You really think another year is going to be different? I don't think anybody on here would've complained if we hadn't won anything during the last three years if at least the football was half decent and we could see some progress...we all expected some transition. But considering the time and expense that van Gaal has had, more so than Moyes, he's done nothing to move us forward...nothing!

I didn't think there were many of you left but feck me!!! You deserve some medal or something for your blind optimism!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
On his last result??? :eek: For feck's sake man, where have you been the last two years??? You really think another year is going to be different? I don't think anybody on here would've complained if we hadn't won anything during the last three years if at least the football was half decent and we could see some progress...we all expected some transition. But considering the time and expense that van Gaal has had, more so than Moyes, he's done nothing to move us forward...nothing!

I didn't think there were many of you left but feck me!!! You deserve some medal or something for your blind optimism!
I agree, the football has been dire and doesn't look like it will change greatly. Also he has lowered the clubs fans expectations to zero. We just want to be competitive and play entertaining football. That actually isn't much to ask.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think you are being actually kind to the performance. I would have called us absolutely crap. We didn't really have to defend the lead as Norwich had very poor quality in their strikers.
Didn't you say you fell asleep at least four times, though? :p

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 323.4 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Norwich 0:2 Man Utd