PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Norwich City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 April 2022

Slevs

likes to play with penises
@rotherham_red

I remember you once said you'd rather have Pukki instead of Player Number 7 (for some reason, he who shall not be named). Are you still of the same opinion? :D

Dr Fink

Ronaldo 3 - Norwich 2. Not a team performance again, just individual brilliance. We have fully transitionEd to 1980s Utd but with Ronaldo. Simply awful AGAIN. The Scousers will tear us a new one..…..suck it up though, we have no choice. Sad times.

Irwin99

Watching the goals conceded again and geez, it looks bad. Our entire defence is so shaky and there's that feeling again that any team can just waltz through our midfield. Really hope EtH looks at our fullback situation as well as the DM position.

Wing Attack Plan R

Well! That was a bit more worrying than it needed to be!
Ronaldo FC wins it for us. Krul had two lucky saves earlier (one from Lingard, another with his shins) so him making a mistake for Ronaldo's 3rd is fair. Edit: if Krul had kept his feet planted instead of that little shuffle step to his left right before Ronaldo hit the ball, he would have had more than a fingertip on the shot and would have saved it, so I call that a Krul mistake, as great as the kick was, it was savable.
Sancho, Lindelof, Elanga, DeGea had very good games. Mata came on and was instantly the best player on the pitch. Good subs from RR because it was like we were playing not only without a central midfield but also without a defense. I rewatched the goals and Telles' positioning was suicidal. He kept getting sucked towards the ball and leaving 1 or 2 Norwich players free at the back post.
Lindelof bailed us out at least twice with last-minute interceptions. He had a really strong game.
Dalot showed flashes and his sliding effort in our box probably saved the points for us. Both he and Telles are really being shown up as just not there defensively, although I think both are better at getting forward than the 2 nominally ahead of them (AWB, Shaw). If we are going to gamble with our fullbacks bombing up the wing, someone needs to drop and fill, and no one was.
If we play like this on Tuesday it's going to be a bloodbath.
Pogba was brilliant and abysmal. Sublime skill then casual as feck and sloppy. Can he even sprint? I'm not sure, he does a sort of gallop that's faster than walking but you never seem him really stretching his legs.
Bruno made one of his now trademarked bad passes that usually end up in the opponents scoring. Today, we got lucky. It's just not coming off for him lately, maybe it's fatigue or maybe he's trying too many risky passes, but he's been on a massive downward trajectory for awhile now.
Rashford, good god man, what has happened to you? He's got nothing in his locker now except speed, he can't move with the ball, can't beat a man. I would rather have seen one of the two ballyhooed youth come on in his stead. Rashford is not only not contributing he's an actual detriment to the team, take him out of the firing line and let him regroup.
Maguire was good not as rubbish as he has been, except he did his usual stand rooted to the spot while pointing at opponents, as if that's going to magically cover that player. He can do basic defending, repel aerial balls and that's about it. He's so, so limited as a player and that's down to his lack of mobility, which makes his positioning awful because he can't recover, and then he panics. He's nowhere near being an elite level player. His diagonals out to Telles were good at giving us space and time, the only time he messed that up was when he tried to bomb one to Ronaldo. Maguire is far too static for my liking, gets stuck on his heels and just acts like a cone. He might survive the first season under ETH but not the second.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Another shit show.
One game closer to the end.

We need a leader and proper pros.
We have a team full of chancers and prancers.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Man Utd 1:0 Norwich City - Ronaldo (7')

Man Utd 2:0 Norwich City - Ronaldo (32')

Man Utd 2:1 Norwich City - Dowell (45' + 1)

Man Utd 2:2 Norwich City - Pukki (52')

Man Utd 3:2 Norwich City - Ronaldo (76')
Fantastic hat trick from the greatest player I have ever seen in my very long time of watching football.
But did you notice that on the free kick, not one player moved an inch to follow the shot up.

pascell

Fantastic hat trick from the greatest player I have ever seen in my very long time of watching football.
But did you notice that on the free kick, not one player moved an inch to follow the shot up.
Because they're lazy feckers.

At one point Telles lost the ball on his own throw in and allowed his man to run away from him on the counter, whilst he jogged back.

stu_1992

Have Ronaldo to thank for that win. Completely unimpressive stuff for that otherwise. At least we won. Can't believe we're playing this bad and still in the top 4 race. Will be probably be out of it again by Tuesday night.

justsomebloke

Quite a horror show, despite the result and Ronaldo's magnificent hat trick. No way does that performance leave us with points against a better opponent. What is most worrying is that we basically still have no serious offensive game.

The worst bit for me today was the full backs. Dalots flank was a yawning chasm defensively in the first half especially, and Telles was directly culpable on both of Norwich's goals. On the occasions where they were not caught out of position, they were consistently unable to prevent crosses from going in. Good thing the CBs and de Gea had a good evening.

Djemba-Djemba

Rare to win a match and still come away utterly depressed about Utd.

We were once again total shit, and I'm dreading Tuesday.

The fact we're still in with a chance of top 4 is mental.

AndySmith1990

Another terrible performance masked by individual brilliance. No idea how the feck we are still within touching distance of 4th. Outside of the top 3 the quality of this league is shite.

joedirt87

6 games to go, just need a hat trick in each of them from Ronaldo to save top 4. We stink, a better team buries that early chance and it probably finishes us right there.

Dansk

We would be in 9th or 10th place without Ronaldo. This club is a disaster. How do you even go about fixing this in any kind of timely manner? Between the players who are leaving and the players who aren't good enough, we almost have to replace the entire squad, as well as much of the staff, and the owners need to completely change the way they run the club. Even the fecking stadium needs replacing. Basically everything is shit and there isn't one aspect of MUFC that we can be satisfied with. How the hell will this disaster be solved in anything under a decade? Absolutely everything is wrong, every fecking aspect of the club needs a complete overhaul. Sigh.

Gordon S

There are a few things that my mind simply can`t comprehend.
The size of the universe.
How some soldiers can perform such cruelties we see in wars.
How a team of handpicked professional football players can be so bad at defending.

The way we just gift oppos space to run into is a sight to behold.
Very happy for the win

Dansk

How a team of handpicked professional football players can be so bad at defending.
In fairness, they're also woeful in attack and midfield. Don't single out the defense, the entire team is utterly inept except for Ronaldo who has single-handedly carried us through something like 30% of our games this season.

Infra-red

6 games to go, just need a hat trick in each of them from Ronaldo to save top 4. We stink, a better team buries that early chance and it probably finishes us right there.
Hat trick from Ronaldo in every game wouldn't be enough.

If we keep defending like this, we'll concede a lot more than two goals in most (if not all) of the remaining games.

joedirt87

Hat trick from Ronaldo in every game wouldn't be enough.

If we keep defending like this, we'll concede a lot more than two goals in most (if not all) of the remaining games.
Probably right. a double hat trick in every game, with a triple hat trick against liverpool might be the only way at this point

sunama

Baghdad Bob
How on earth are we still 3pts off 4th after a calamitous season! How bad are Arsenal and Spurs?
After the next round of fixtures and once AFC have played their game in hand, the gap should increase to 6 points.

MalaysianRed7

As has been the case pretty much all season, De Gea and Ronaldo shine in a sea of….gutless or bang average players, or both. Got absolutely battered at home to the worst team I’ve ever seen in the PL at times (didn’t watch Derby as I began watching football in 2008-09). Ronaldo though, what an inspiration. 37 years old and doing this in the toughest league in the world. He’s the greatest of all time by a mile, and there’ll never be another player as good or better than him again, until robots start playing football. Even they’ll find it hard to eclipse him.

Huge shoutout goes to the match going fans as well. Excellent protest and support for the team today. I can’t exactly say that the boos for Pogba didn’t sit well with me either. He deserves it. It was an outpouring of annoyance which every United fan across the world has continually felt whenever the guy badmouthed us and spoke about his love for Real and Juventus during international breaks. A gargantuan well done, because we don’t win the game without you.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Could be a massive result considering the Arsenal and Spurs results. Then I remembered we are at Anfield next ffs.

Even the short highlights were brutal to watch from a defensive point of view. My bet is we are going to line up a little differently somehow on Tuesday night if we can.

On the positive side Ronaldo doing his celebration with Elanga was awesome.
Really cool to see.

Oh and Viva Ronaldo.

AndyMUFC

Bailed out by Ronaldo again. Was not a good performance, especially defensively.

Somehow still in the top four race which doesn't shows how poor the challengers are, although with our next three games being Liverpool, Arsenal and likely Chelsea, are we really?

Superden

The laziness in not getting back when we lose the ball is criminal.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Ronaldo was absolutely great but he shouldn’t be the centrepiece of our re-build, not least for a team hoping for sustainable success in the long term. If we’re relying on Ronaldo to bail us out against Norwich, things need to change

Stig

Which says everything about how dire our situation is.
Exactly. Combined the 3 of them are 102 years old - and were probably as good as anyone in our team.

One thing I continue to fail to understand is not getting people in the box. At one point we had a 3 on 3 break and Bruno stops his run about 25 yards out and doesn't go into the box.

Sancho is looking to cross and Rashford is way out on the other wing. Why isn't he getting into the box. City attack in a line of five and all of them get into the box.

Our 'strikers' stand in positions where they are never going to get a goal.

Sancho is desperately hopeless. Today was one of his days with more involvement but he still doesn't offer anything constructive or productive or positive from what I see.

Those who want to know why Fred plays nearly every game, should have learnt today from watching the worst team in the league just rip through the middle of pitch on their attacks.

Winning and 4th place rivals losing is great; but we struggled to beat the worst team in the league.

TsuWave

Match of the day analysis of the first Norwich goal highlighted how poor Bruno was for it

Lost bear

Rare to win a match and still come away utterly depressed about Utd.

We were once again total shit, and I'm dreading Tuesday.

The fact we're still in with a chance of top 4 is mental.
God yes, we were awful. The general lack of effort or concentration in the team is shocking. What the feck is going on here?

NICanRed

Relieved to beat the worst team in the league! Viva Ronaldo!
I know they couldn't, shouldn't, wouldn't play a full game but Mata and Matic showed their class when they came on.

lex talionis

The Problem saves us once again. Yes without question he's had some poor performances this season, but we would be suffocating, begging for oxygen in the bottom half of the table were it not for the GOAT.

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 97% of 211 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 191 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw