PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Nottingham Forest

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 August 2023

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We started getting into good positions towards the end, but we still struggle to keep up the momentum. Thought Antony got better as the match went on but other than that I'm still worried.

I hope that this game gets these players believing that they can turn bad results around, and I mean "hope". I'm still not convinced.

And for God's sake Erik, do something about the huge gaps we create with this fecking high press.

Faetheshire86

That was a brave performance. Coming back from 2-0 down after a freak first 5 minutes was a huge positive. Disappointed with how poorly we closed out the game.

Still a lot to be worried about, but at least we are battling and picking up points

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Most important signing we need is a sport psychologist. This team needs it from how they tried to shit the bed against 10 men.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Good comeback, but still not convinced. If we continue to play like that, we will be done in by better team like we were against spurs. However, it was a very positive response the way we fought to get back. Under Ralf and perhaps even ole (despite the nature of his shoddy wins), we would have just given up at 2 goals

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Onana was indeed weird for their goal. A bit rooted. Should’ve just come out quick and made their forward either go round him or shoot early.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
We have to find a way to be more compact as a team. Can't afford teams running through us with ease

RedCurry

Honestly expected the worst at the start but absolutely buzzing now.

crossy1686

career ending
In isolation, going 2 goals down can happen but it's not good when you look at the bigger picture of how we've started the season. I'll take the win though, comebacks always feel better than a routine win, happy with the result, concerned with the first half performance and our finishing.

Alcio77

Horrible game to watch. Our players seems a flock of sheep with no brain and no shape.
After a full season, two summer markets and pre-seasons is it fair to say that ETH is failing to deliver a decent quality football.
not worried but start to think that he will not be able to bring us to the level we aim at

astracrazy

Onana was indeed weird for their goal. A bit rooted. Should’ve just come out quick and made their forward either go round him or shoot early.
I don't think he had a good game at all, even his distribution was poor

breezy12

Absolute garbage really, the win wasn't exactly convincing and just papers over the cracks. Feel like we will get slaughtered vs Arsenal and Brighton

Shiva87

No improvement from the last two games, in terms of how we play, but we didn't give up. Props to the team.
what a terrible post. Really - there was no improvement??

come on, credit where it is due. They played very well after going 2-0 down to come to 3-2.

we relaxed a bit too much after that which resulted in Forest coming back into the game for the first time

GregM40

Hard work that. Bruno was a monster though, and a reminder that we should be grateful to have him, captains performance and our MOTM.

The character of the team has been put into question lately but I think that game quells those enquiries, we never stopped attacking from 2-0 down and got the win.

This sets up a mega clash with Arsenal after they dropped points today. Can’t see us getting anything but I said this last year against Liverpool around the same time so don’t write us off yet.

justboy68

Forest totally lost the plot after going 2-0 up and stopped playing completely. Better teams won't allow us to go on and dominate the rest of the proceedings like that. So all the more important than we can stop these ridiculous collapses. Getting out of these first three games with 6 points feels awfully lucky and we need to improve fast now to make it count.

Sgreddevil

We tend to make the game more difficult for ourselves than it should be. We have to stop the habit of switching on only when we were down. The players were literally in training mode for the first 5mins. No hunger at all.

tjb

Quite a dominant performance really.
Yeah we actually played a good game.

There were also noticable features.

The back 3 for this game was Casemiro Martinez and Varane/Lindelof.

We also maintained a more regular pressing style that didn't require the team to change shape, so there were less gaps on the outside. In the first two games, there was a bit too much fluidity at times at the back and up front, today we had a bit more structure.

Our issues up front still remain our greatest weakness. Martial was his usual average self. he's also clearly lost pace, so there's not much he's offering. Antony offered some flair, but his attacking involvements had limited impact. We were still relying on the midfielders to create on their own for the front 3. Rashford didn't really have a great game, but even without that his impact was there to be seen. We need or other attackers to match or even come a lot closer to matching what he brings, because at times it feels like a deadzone. AWB has improved so much and would benefit from having a wide partner who actually had the intelligence to combine effectively. People have always blamed AWB for this on the right flank, but its quite clear Antony is acutally the issue here. Today he managed to mix things up on a few occasions and those moments showed how impactful that right flank could be if he did it more often.

It's good to know that Amad and Rasmus will be coming back to the team soon. We need performing attackers, we currently don't have that. That's why its no surprise we had no goals or assists from Martial and Antony. It's difficult to score goals when your attackers don't even try to anticipate opportunites.

It's also clear that we're still working ourselves out. Shapes have been changing and we're trying to get the right balance and structure. We've only had one result blip despite being a bit scattered to start the season. It's quite clear preseason wasn't effective for us this year, both tactically and fitness wise

Church o Choccy

No improvement from the last two games, in terms of how we play, but we didn't give up. Props to the team.
I honestly can't understand this kind of a take on a performance like that.

The first five minutes we weren't at the races and conceded two sloppy goals. Then the next 75 minutes was about as good a performance as you could expect to see from any team in the premier league - we dominated possession, created good chances and scored three goals against a team that had their tails up without conceding more than a couple of half chances. Towards the end we were poor at game management but we'd just run ourselves into the ground producing genuine quality for the vast majority of the match.

Honestly, ignore the horrible start and this is exactly the kind of performance we've been looking for, to compare it to the Wolves match or the Spurs second half is just incomprehensible to me. We were not only good for a huge chunk of this match, we were dominant, attacking and we produced end product.

Infra-red

Good character on display from the 5th minute onwards for the fightback after showing a real lack of commitment in the lackadaisical start to the game.

Glad we got this over the line, but we really do not look fit. I'm starting to think that the volume of games last season has seriously depleted this group and we're in for a major hangover this season (much as Liverpool suffered through the first two-thirds of last season in the wake of 21/22).

Anyway, 8 days' rest until Arsenal - hopefully the time off does the players some good.

Todd

Showed good resolve after 0-2, I guess.

But needing a red card plus a penalty to beat Forest at home is a bad look.

nazanto

Comeback win after went down 2 nil early is great, but it just wasn't convincing enough. Even after Forest went a man down, always felt that they could nick a goal out of nowhere. Hopefully this win will turn this team around, but fecking hell we weren't a good team yet.

Chairman Steve

They’re debating our penalty decision on BBC Final Score at some length :lol: Well that’s those referees banned next week

Superunknown

To come back after being 2-0 down is great and shows strength.

To go 2-0 down so early on at home is poor and shows weakness.

Better, more organised, and more dangerous teams will ruin us. We got away with it today. We won't always get away with it. The amount of goals we're shipping and the ease in which we're doing so is worrying.

But, we won today..so feck it until the next game.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Showed good resolve after 0-2, I guess.

But needing a red card plus a penalty to beat Forest at home is a bad look.
Weird way to describe it.

MrBest

3 points, it's all that matters. Issues still persist, but will only get better as we play more. Good to see the team didn't fall apart after going 2 down in 5 mins, held on well at the end. Still I can't understand why our wingers or wide forwards are obsessed with shooting from distance. Antony and rashford both had better options several times, decision making is shocking. That said I thought antony was great in second half and Rashford laid a great ball to Bruno who passed to casemiro and scored. Arsenal drew today, they will either be up for it next week or pressure will start to build. It's up to us to dictate that situation with hopefully a proper striker on the bench and a few new signings.

siw2007

Relief. It’s 3 points and 3 goals, it was far from routine though. The start was very poor from the team, we weren’t ready for the start, they were which was criminal. It is always impressive to come back from 2 goals down, we actually played some good football in the 2nd half at times, we could have scored more and we managed to force a red card and a penalty. I’m a little disappointed that we couldn’t take advantage of playing against 10 men in the last 10-20min, we soaked up a lot of pressure then but it was really unnecessary if we just played football.

Overall, it wasn’t particularly convincing and I’m a little worried about playing Arsenal next weekend so ETH is going to have to really prepare the team well to get anything.

Get In Scholesy

Outside the first 4 minutes, we owned the game. You can even argue those 2 goals came against the run of play.
We passed it better, showed more fight and had a bit more presence on the ball.
Still hard to gauge because we were a man up for about 40 minutes. However, it was the best performance so far this season, make of that what you will.

However, we are toothless up front and our decision making is shocking at times.

Cantonagotmehere

Great comeback! Worrying end. We need more depth but we all know that. It really is pathetic how thin we are at midfield. Criminal.

Start Sancho false 9 vs Arse.

Hope Varane is OK. With all this extra time more and more players will get soft tissue injuries. They need a middle ground.

fergosaurus

Three points were essential with Arsenal and Brighton up next. Hopefully we see Hojlund in action soon.

Strelok

Forest had a freaky first 5' they're incredibly lucky with their two goals. AWB misjudged the flight of the ball because of the sun then the ball just fell nicely within the grasp of Awoniyi. Then the second goal the ball hit the face of Boly then went in. Well shit happen in football.

I'm really glad we didn't give up and keep trying and what a great comeback. For the ones who say we're coward after the 3rd goal look at how Fulham scored with 10 men against Arsenal. I know many are still not happy because we didn't win 5-0 but truth is there's no easy match in the PL especially the first games of the season. We're really good today despite Forest were incredibly lucky in the first 5'. Big kudos to the team and ETH what a comeback :devil:

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I just hope this is pre-season fatigued Rashford and not I-dont-give-a-feck-anymore-wake-me-up-in-two-years Rashford.

Wittmann45

Lots of fight shown, feels bipolar to watch this team though :lol:

That being said, the extra time is unsustainable - I know something needs to be done about time wasting but that is not the solution

Blood Mage

A very hard watch that, the whole team just looks unfit and fatigued. We did show a bit of fight in the second half but it's hard to even feel a shred of optimism about this season at the moment.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 70% of 264 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 257 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Nottingham Forest win
  • Draw