PL L FA Premier League

Nottingham Forest 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 December 2023

justsomebloke

The consistency in this team is absolutely abysmal, one week we look hungry and up for it and the next we look completely uninterested.
I don't think they looked uninterested. They were pressing hard and well, all over the pitch, certainly in the first half when Forest weren't able to string anything together. Trouble was, we weren't either. What was missing was structure, ideas and technical quality on the ball, not effort or intensity.

It went a bit downhill in the second. It's tempting to put that on the McTominay for Mainoo switch. I'm not sure he's really up to the demands of a man-marking oriented system off the ball.

Stig

I’ve said it clearly and I’ve said it consistently. ETH has to go. The football is completely terrible. And I mean terrible. That’s as bad as it gets. What a complete shitshow of an attempt to play football. Get rid. And get rid of him now.
It's hard to argue against that.

justsomebloke

I’ve said it clearly and I’ve said it consistently. ETH has to go. The football is completely terrible. And I mean terrible. That’s as bad as it gets. What a complete shitshow of an attempt to play football. Get rid. And get rid of him now.
No way. Murtough first. Then restructure the football department. Then start thinking of the manager. Otherwise you're just dumping someone else in the same shit, and have no basis for building something around him.

Josep Dowling

The future is Garnacho Hojlund Amad Mainoo. Sell the duds and sack the cnut.
Hojlund has 1 Premier League goal this season. Amad has been here 3 years and his best football was in the Championship.

As fans we are desperate right now, putting hope on youngsters to achieve the unachievable. They all need time and proper rotation. These players are being rushed into the first team, starting a lot of games because the senior players in the squad are well below par.

CoopersDream

Not our best match, that's for sure. Not too many positives to take from this match, except that Marcus got to score from open play again, which hopefully can get him some more confidence. If both him and Rasmus can find some form we might actually be able to score some in the second half of the season.

We clearly have a lot of the same issues we have had the entire season, not least as far as our defending goes. I do think there's some good play at times though, mostly in the middle third though. However, this gives me some hope that with players returning we might find some rythm and form. Fingers crossed.

justsomebloke

I know that when the team stinks up a game, that gets magnified into twice the kneejerk idiocy in here, but judging from the player ratings this is even worse than usual.

Onana 4.3 - really? What exactly did he do wrong this game? I can't think of anything.

Bruno 3.8, but Garnacho 5.5? Are there really so many people here with their heads so far up their own asses they managed to see a better performance from Garnacho than Bruno tonight? Great interception and sublime pass to Rashford, but other than that he had a pretty much 100% fiasco rate with everything he tried. I don't think he succeeded with a single take-on, or had as much as one good pass, apart from the goal. While Bruno put up pretty much everything that was put up by our attackers, goal aside.

Varane 4.4? - Again, what exactly did he do wrong today? Okay, there was that weird clearance, but other than that he was consistently in the right place at the right time, cut off passes, moved the ball well, had quite a few really good passes actually. That was a good game.

Swearing Budgie

Bruno will be good again once we have a captain in place who gives him a bollocking when he is moaning or just playing shite. As it stands he is accountable to nobody.

TysonFury

Not our best performance, but I feel if Hojlund was fit it would have been a different story, then Marcus would have played out wide instead as the central role doesn’t suit him. Also Garnacho didn’t have the best of games, which is ok as he is only young, and Antony, well I don’t know what he offers to be honest. The forest defenders found it easy to defend us, Hojlund would have posed a different threat with his physicality

AFC NimbleThumb

We were really good in the second half against Villa. And really good against Chelsea. Its like somedays we are playing two different sports.
So that’s 135 minutes half way through a season.

The fact some don’t get how terrible things really are that we can remark about how many times that team have played ‘above average’ this season is remarkable.

It’s indeed like we play 2 different sports, the trouble is it’s nowhere near 50/50.

Villa 2nd half is the prime example of goals curing all ails for some. Indeed it was a far better performance than the 1st half but we gifted Villa a fair share of their own chances.

The standards aren’t on the floor, they’re in the basement.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Even with our injuries, there is enough talent on the bench to secure a victory against this Forest side. As many of us predicted, the Villa comeback was another false dawn.

The club's structure is in shambles but until that gets corrected, the manager is one variable we can change.

Matt Varnish

I do my best to stay away until I've calmed down, had some food and maybe a scotch or two before commenting.
Unless every single poster in this thread failed to post in the post Villa thread, all it proves is that as ever United has a very fickle fan base, hero's to zero's in a matter of days.

I was quite surprised to get 10/11 in the line up prediction, (Hojland let me down), but in all honesty it was predictable, yet we all know that Eriksen cannot turn in a display like he did against Villa two games on the trot, neither can golden boy Garnacho.

I've seen other keepers save shots that Ohno fails to see, (46 conceded now this season?), but lets not dwell on that, we have to see what an untested keeper is like for the next couple of games.

Amad, please don't blow so much smoke up his arse, he is not the messiah, and barely an upgrade on Antony at the moment, he looked lost and out of his depth at times, but there is room for improvement.

We lost this game today for three reasons, complacency, naivety and a lack of consistency from 9/11 players, only Evans and Varanne showed any urgency.
That's not down to the manager, that's down to the players on the field.

We need to rid ourselves of some players and get new blood in, changing the manager still wont allow that. EtH needs at least 2 more summer windows to improve the squad. Until then it's a case of TIMWAS ( Today Is Matchday, Watch And Suffer)

freddie the red

Pound for pound United are the worst team in the PL with Chelsea a strong 2nd. Also pound for pound, this is the worst Manchester United team of all time.
Just my opinion of course.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Hojlund has 1 Premier League goal this season. Amad has been here 3 years and his best football was in the Championship.

As fans we are desperate right now, putting hope on youngsters to achieve the unachievable. They all need time and proper rotation. These players are being rushed into the first team, starting a lot of games because the senior players in the squad are well below par.
Agreed.

Too much pressure is being placed on unproven youngsters.
Mainoo and Amad are too young and raw to tell if he they'll be any good.
Hojlund has been abysmal as an EPL striker. A striker is judged by his goal tally and 1 goal in about 20 games is shockingly bad, even for a 20 year old who is getting plenty of game time. I don't want to write him off, but it's not looking good for him.

It may sound cruel, but I would sell every single senior player (over the age of 23) in the team. These guys have a losing mentality and that mentality spreads to new players who arrive at the club.
As Ralf R said, "The team needs open heart surgery".
Sell them all!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Pound for pound United are the worst team in the PL with Chelsea a strong 2nd. Also pound for pound, this is the worst Manchester United team of all time.
Just my opinion of course.
I couldn't care less about CFC. We have our own problems to deal with.
But you are right, in terms of transfer fees and wages, we are the worst in the EPL. We have teams whose players get paid a fraction of what we pay our players and they beat us.

Heinzesight

I’m usually the first to eagerly await the next match-day, even after a hammering, as you have that belief that the players could turn it around. But not with these bastards.

The main positive from today is that we only have two (maybe three) fixtures in January. Imagine that, pure, unadulterated bliss.

Bestofthebest

Just think. If Prince Jassim had bought out the Glazers we could be looking forward to a new manager and some new players. Instead we are stuck with EtH, SJR and a group of no hopers

always_hoping

1st half was among the worst halves of football I've watched over the years. 2nd half was only a slight improvement and clinical from forest to score from their only shots in the 2nd half.

Stats 1st half.

Shots on goal

Forest 6 United 1

Shots on target

Forest 0 United 1

Passing

Forest 219 United 255

2nd half stats

Shots on goal

Forest 2 United 9

Shots on target

Forest 2 United 4

Passing

Forest 175 United 223

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If I was Sir Jemmy I'd start by sending out an ultimatum and I would put players names who will let United down this season in envelopes. They certainly dont want their names in it especially if theyve got a wife and kids.

croadyman

Third time unlucky in December at backing up a good result. This is very similar to 2015 when we lost 2 away and a shocker of a home defeat too

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We need to rid ourselves of some players and get new blood in, changing the manager still wont allow that. EtH needs at least 2 more summer windows to improve the squad. Until then it's a case of TIMWAS ( Today Is Matchday, Watch And Suffer)
He has already brought in 11 new players. At that rate, with two more summers, there will be an overhaul of the overhaulers. 20+ ETH players by then.

And I bet in two summer's time you will be yelling about getting rid of the deadwoods!!!

Eddy_JukeZ

We were really good in the second half against Villa. And really good against Chelsea. Its like somedays we are playing two different sports.
That's 2 games out of like 28.

We've been consistently abysmal this season.

El Zoido

That's 2 games out of like 28.

We've been consistently abysmal this season.
And we weren’t “really good” in those games either. We were good in comparison to every other game. They were exciting games that we won, not controlled and dominating performances. We’ve been so poor for so long, the fanbase doesn’t have perspective on what a truly good performance actually looks like. This is what happens when standards and expectations are continually allowed to be lowered.

Eddy_JukeZ

And we weren’t “really good” in those games either. We were good in comparison to every other game. They were exciting games that we won, not controlled and dominating performances. We’ve been so poor for so long, the fanbase doesn’t have perspective on what a truly good performance actually looks like. This is what happens when standards and expectations are continually allowed to be lowered.
True. The standards have never been this bad.

We've never really dominated/controlled a game vs a top side under ETH. Closest we came to that was the Chelsea game at the Bridge prior to the WC, but that was an isolated incident. I was expecting those more frequently, but alas, they never came.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Am pretty sick of most of these lads.The first half was woeful.Forest are shite but yet again we gave them the initiative.
Some of our players just don't seem to give a shit. Maybe that's harsh but that's how it looks .
Granted we haven't a settled back four ( which really showed for the 1st goal)our midfield reeks and we haven't a centre forward and insist on playing inverted wings. None of which helps.
But you have to match your opponents for effort.Far too often we don't do that basic of the game.

joedirt87

As bad as we were in the first half at least we didn't look like conceding, so after seeing about 5-7 minutes of the 2nd half start and the change in midfield I thought there is no chance we don't give up a goal and bet Forest to win. I get bringing on McTominay to try and create an attacking spark, but ETH has got to find another way to do it other than taking off a midfielder and giving up control in that area. Take off a winger and play Fernandes on the right to let McTominay play up in the 10. Or shift the position of the forwards players to play more like 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-2-1 and have the fullbacks give you a little more attacking width. Anything but leaving us empty in midfield.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Nottingham Forest win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Nottingham Forest 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Nottingham Forest 0:2 Man Utd