CL L Champions League Group B

PSV Eindhoven 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 15 September 2015

An Irish Red

We try to play intricate, eye of the needle stuff, fail, and then resort to long balls late on. There's no inbetween with us really.

I think we have the makings of a good team though. More width and chance creation and we'll be alright.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It wasn't the case, because we clearly should have won this game at a canter, as we were the better side, and would have done if our finishing had been a bit better.

And if you consider that what happened to Shaw might have had an affect on our players (Footballers in being human being shocker!) then I'm happy to write this night off.
It must have affected the players. If the ref had done his job properly we would have been playing 10 men.

Ainu

Come to think of it, this game kind of has the same feel to it as that game a few years back when Vidic got injured early on, and you knew he would be out for a long time. If I'm not mistaken we lost that game 2-1 as well, and it was in the CL.
It was a loss to Basle and we were confirmed 3rd of our group iirc. Yeah that was pretty shocking stuff. This isn't quite as bad a result but a worse injury. Hard to stay positive after this.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Come to think of it, this game kind of has the same feel to it as that game a few years back when Vidic got injured early on, and you knew he would be out for a long time. If I'm not mistaken we lost that game 2-1 as well, and it was in the CL.
Was there also one with Gibson at Old Trafford?

Think we drew with Rangers 0-0.

acnumber9

Are you saying he a.) Didn't play well or b.) Isn't a striker?
He played okay. But he's not exactly a player we can rely on to be a great goal scorer yet. Are you saying he is? It's Van Gaal who's left us with him or Fellaini as our only options when we have an injury.

crossy1686

career ending
Well, how much more are we going to spend before we have a squad that can compete? On today's performance there are a few players who still aren't good enough

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Don't let facts get in the way. He said we were more unbalanced and left ourselves not enough forwards. He actually said he felt encouraged by how we played tonight.
And he went onto say we had a weaker team by letting RVP and Januzai go and failing to replace them.

Devil81

I'd be more concerned if we played really bad, we come off the pitch knowing we should have won the game. We need to get more clinical in front of goal, there were huge positives tonight, people being negative need to look at the chances created and see that it's an improvement.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I am as gutted as everyone about Luke .shaw

But I'm not sure I'm getting the whole lost interest in the game afterwards comments I was reading

That was a really bad game to lose. We were by far the better side for most parts of the game.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Don't know why LVG is getting criticism from many on here. Pre match and everyone was positively delighted by the team selection.

With better finishing, we should have won the game by half time.

If there is any blame to be attributed, it has to be the players, especially Mata and BFS who did not impose themselves on the game at all.

PSV Rulezzz

Duck-loving Dutchie
:D I'd like to say it one time: We beat the great Manchester United!

Furthermore... sorry about Shaw's injury.. hope he gets well soon. That's the least I can say about that. :(

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Had we lost playing as we were before Van Gaal's second half subs, I could've swallowed it. Two defensive mess ups changed the flow of a game we dominated did over an hour.

Van Gaal didn't have the confidence in his philosophy to saw if we could turn that pressure into a goal. He opted for plan hoof, which looked disjointed and desperate. That's where he lost me tonight.

Frankly, I no longer have much trust in him. Borst is right. He's not the manager he was before. He doesn't have his old fearlessness. That shows in panicky decisions like that.

I remember drawing twice 3-3 with Van Gaal's Barca in 1999. This United doesn't have half the belief in its style as that Barca. The willingness to keep playing, knowing the goal will come, we just don't have.

clarkydaz

The most positive aspect of tonight's performance was the spark between Martial, and Memphis. It definitely has potential.
Absolutely. Surprised people cannot see past the drama, we played better tonight. People decided to have brainfarts infront of goal

acnumber9

And he went onto say we had a weaker team by letting RVP and Januzai go and failing to replace them.
It leaves us worse in attacking positions. That's what he said. Did you deliberately leave out how he mentioned he liked how we played?

Blodssvik

We lost for the same reason that we lost against Swansea. The team isn't creating chances. Goals were conceded from a corner and a Darmian mistake that couldn't be rectified.
Yep. Don't agree at all with the ones who seem to think we created a lot of chances but which we didn't take. If we expect to score from every chance then yeah, we create enough chances.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well, how much more are we going to spend before we have a squad that can compete? On today's performance there are a few players who still aren't good enough
I'd actual say not one player from the starting line-up showed themselves to not be good enough today. Darmian absolute class had a mare with their 2nd goal, but he's clearly good enough. That runs through the whole team. Midfield could have been selected better and Young could have done better on the right, but we have the makings of a top class 11 with the right selection, addressing balance, width and pace. We even have a good striker now.

0161_UNITED

If LvG doesn't acknowledge in the post-match, what a shot this team has taken, and how much a young man who worked so hard to be an integral part of this side accomplished and then was cut down, he's not got a foot to stand on, with me. Really proud of the lads even they lost. But absolutely gutted.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
It leaves us worse in attacking positions. That's what he said. Did you deliberately leave out how he mentioned he liked how we played?
I said he went on to say......

Don't shoot the messenger!!!

Lewis.no.9

Some major overreaction in the matchday thread. Mata wasn’t terrible and we did go with a lightweight midfield. We didn’t have to. Then Louis makes a terrible sub in throwing on Fellaini for Herrera, further limiting our strength in midfield and people get all upset about Mata not being able to dominate a midfield with a clearly tired Bastian. And what does Fellaini do? What he was of course going to do unless he came on as a #10: slow us down and lose more possession.

Terrible about Shaw. Absolutely devastating.

But there are major positives in the game - this is where we saw Martial can become our main striker and we look threatening with him, he’s strong in holding up the ball and his link up play is top class for a 19 year old. Lining up with actual wingers makes us better. Maybe we’ll see youngsters get a chance on the right.

I think we were extremely unfortunate to lose the game. Bad mistakes for sure, but we looked much the better side IMV, until van Gaal made his subs.
the worst thing though is this could have the "Leicester result" outcome. I.e for all the positives, we got a bad result so it didnt work out etc.

We will probably see Martial on the bench next game alongside Herrera for some reason......

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He played okay. But he's not exactly a player we can rely on to be a great goal scorer yet. Are you saying he is? It's Van Gaal who's left us with him or Fellaini as our only options when we have an injury.
I think we are short up top but I reiterate again, when you create that many chances, control the game that much and don't win it's the players fault, not the managers. Tactics were absolutely spot on. Are you saying you don't believe we didn't create enough to win that game more than comfortably?

acnumber9

Paul Scholes is a wanker, with the tactical insight of a toenail I've just threw down the back of the sofa.
Did you watch what he actually said or taking this guys word for it?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Don't know why LVG is getting criticism from many on here. Pre match and everyone was positively delighted by the team selection.

With better finishing, we should have won the game by half time.

If there is any blame to be attributed, it has to be the players, especially Mata and BFS who did not impose themselves on the game at all.
It's just sad that there is no middle ground anymore , we can have anyone as manager and the first game we lose the knives will be out irrespective of the performance

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah, he didn't react to where we were falling behind, even though we still had good momentum. He chose to throw in the wildcard Fellaini at the cost of the whole team shape and was understandably not rewarded. I would like him to take that one on the chin, bad error.

But the game provided a glimpse into what we can do with pace, width and an actual striker.
I like Memphis and Martial together. That was really promising.

JackXX

Thought we played well in general but a lack of quality from players who should be doing better. Mata just had on off night for whatever reason I thought he made some odd decisions.

Gutted about Shaw just glad we have players that can fill in. Going to be a big miss whatever though hopefully he can recover as soon as possible. Feel sorry for him because he's obviously worked very hard and has been playing excellent football.

Lentwood

But that's the point, last year we had Rooney and RVP and yet LVG still thought we need another world class striker and got in Falcao.

This year he thinks Rooney and some young 19 year old is good enough! Crazy stuff especially when Utd always had 4 top strikers in the team years gone by.

How do you know that's what he thinks? I suspect he doesn't think that at all. I suspect he thought "I have Radamel Falcao sat here on £300K a week and contributing nothing, RvP, on big money, declining at a rate of knots and will be unhappy to be a bit-part player plus Hernandez who isn't good for anything other than shifting shirts in Mexico"

That 19 year old you refer to looked better than anything I saw from Falcao, RvP or Hernandez recently and I'm sure LvG is doing everything he can to bring in another forward but at the same time won't sign a stop-gap just for the sake of it

Meller

It was a loss to Basle and we were confirmed 3rd of our group iirc. Yeah that was pretty shocking stuff. This isn't quite as bad a result but a worse injury. Hard to stay positive after this.
Yeah that's the one!

RedStarUnited

This team cant 'go for it' we just cant. The last 10 minutes there, all the players are still thinking too much about the next pass, thinking about what to do.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 706 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSV win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% PSV 0:2 Man Utd
  • 19% PSV 1:2 Man Utd