CL L Champions League Group H

RB Leipzig 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 December 2020

croadyman

I honestly think the players look lost and don't have any idea what it is Ole wants of them
Which is why he should be sacked but won't be because Woody hasn't got it in him to pull the trigger on an ex utd player

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
It wasn't soft. I know why you think that though, so we'll leave that alone for sure.
All the pundits/commentators and media today think it was soft as well. In fact, they think that the Leipzig player was fouled before the incident. Hey Ho, it’s all moot, cos we’re out, but that has nothing to do with bad refereeing.

Maureen-yo

Yep, Like I said, I doubt if more than 2/3 players from their side would get into ours but they played like a well coached team who knew their roles and knew our weakness.
They play as a team because they play the same system week in week out and with mostly the same players. United have been so inconsistent in terms of systems and starting players for so long that they haven't formed an understanding of each others movements/likely positions etc. For me the players underperformed but they are not being instructed or allowed to build a workable system because it changes so often even when all the players are fit.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
All the pundits/commentators and media today think it was soft as well. In fact, they think that the Leipzig player was fouled before the incident. Hey Ho, it’s all moot, cos we’re out, but that has nothing to do with bad refereeing.
I already said I knew why you'd think it, you didn't need to then actually explain the whole thing.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
They play as a team because they play the same system week in week out and with mostly the same players. United have been so inconsistent in terms of systems and starting players for so long that they haven't formed an understanding of each others movements/likely positions etc. For me the players underperformed but they are not being instructed or allowed to build a workable system because it changes so often even when all the players are fit.
Absolutely nail on the head hit

GameOn

I already said I knew why you'd think it, you didn't need to then actually explain the whole thing.
You really think that was a pen?

Like... seriously? There's hardly even contact.

If Leipzig got such a pen against us, this forum would've been burning.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You really think that was a pen?

Like... seriously? There's hardly even contact.

If Leipzig got such a pen against us, this forum would've been burning.
I haven't rewatched it, but yes. Show me the clip then and we'll analyse. I might revoke my initial view now that I'll judge it without any emotion at all attached to it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
DDG - The only time he'll come off his line is when it's to ruin saving a penalty.

Bissaka - The far post thing is a joke now. It's like when someone's on their 30th driving lesson and still can't figure out how the clutch works. At some point you have to stop being patient and conclude they are just a massive idiot.
Lindelof - He's literally terrified of defending. He's a defender who's scared of defending. About as useful as non alcoholic alcohol
Maguire - I actually felt a little bit sorry for him. He doesn't take command of any situation but then anytime he just does his job and relies on someone else to do theirs, the ball flies into our goal. He's nowhere near an £80m defender and he isn't a captain, but he's also surrounded by defensive players who can't be trusted to do anything.
Shaw - He hasn't played in a month and takes about a month to look fit, and he suddenly appears for our most important game of the season.
Telles - I see we are gradually coaching him in the Man Utd art of being inexplicably shite at taking corners.

Matic - He could literally spend the entire game sitting down doing a poo in the centre circle and he'd still reappear in the team two weeks later.
McTominay - When having six defensive players in your team and still looking like you're being caught on the counter all the time isn't quite baffling enough.
Fernandes - One really good tactic is to set up so your best player has no hope of getting in the game.

Greenwood - I mean I thought he was really good but his shooting was quite Rashford like.
Rashford - His shooting was even more Rashford like. So much so that on several occasions by the time he tried to have a shot he didn't even have the ball anymore.

Williams - Why did we have two left backs on the pitch, then sub both of them off, and then sub on a third left back? Are we literally being stupid on purpose?
VDB - Why did we sign him if we resort to picking non functional "please beat us with ease" line ups, just to avoid playing him?
Pogba - Piss off
Tuanzebe and Mensah - I didn't even notice they had come on until they were both suddenly there, letting the ball roll under their feet and off for a throw in. They both literally did this with their first touch. Why did they come on? Why were they both playing at right back? We had six different fullbacks in this game. What ARE we doing?

Ole - I'm not sure we are a "Poorly coached team", but his game management is non existent. He doesn't notice completely obvious things, such as when one of his players is on the verge of being sent off, and one of his former players who's an expert at getting people sent off, comes on for the other team. When he does make changes they are just random and for the sake of it. Like subbing off Cavani then subbing on a fat Ighalo to play in Cavani's position 5 minutes later.

Some of our players seem to have a lifetime loyalty card with him. What does De Gea have to do for Henderson to get a chance? Why have people like Lingard been frozen out if Matic can keep getting picked every other fecking game despite the fact he basically retired two years ago?

It's all a bit too LVG for me at this point. The football is more entertaining but it's the same randomness. The in game management has no relation to what's happening in the game, and the team selection for the next game has no relation to what happened in the last one. Expecting tactical mastermindery from someone who can't get the basics right is like expecting a work of art from someone who's trying to use a pencil sharpener on a paint brush.

The ref - Presumably read my comment about CL refs being better than the PL ones and thought he needed to make sure everyone knew I was an idiot.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
DDG - The only time he'll come off his line is when it's to ruin saving a penalty.

Bissaka - The far post thing is a joke now. It's like when someone's on their 30th driving lesson and still can't figure out how the clutch works. At some point you have to stop being patient and conclude they are just a massive idiot.
Lindelof - He's literally terrified of defending. He's a defender who's scared of defending. About as useful as non alcoholic alcohol
Maguire - I actually felt a little bit sorry for him. He doesn't take command of any situation but then anytime he just does his job and relies on someone else to do theirs, the ball flies into our goal. He's nowhere near an £80m defender and he isn't a captain, but he's also surrounded by defensive players who can't be trusted to do anything.
Shaw - He hasn't played in a month and takes about a month to look fit, and he suddenly appears for our most important game of the season.
Telles - I see we are gradually coaching him in the Man Utd art of being inexplicably shite at taking corners.

Matic - He could literally spend the entire game sitting down doing a poo in the centre circle and he'd still reappear in the team two weeks later.
McTominay - When having six defensive players in your team and still looking like you're being caught on the counter all the time isn't quite baffling enough.
Fernandes - One really good tactic is to set up so your best player has no hope of getting in the game.

Greenwood - I mean I thought he was really good but his shooting was quite Rashford like.
Rashford - His shooting was even more Rashford like. So much so that on several occasions by the time he tried to have a shot he didn't even have the ball anymore.

Williams - Why did we have two left backs on the pitch, then sub both of them off, and then sub on a third left back? Are we literally being stupid on purpose?
VDB - Why did we sign him if we resort to picking non functional "please beat us with ease" line ups, just to avoid playing him?
Pogba - Piss off
Tuanzebe and Mensah - I didn't even notice they had come on until they were both suddenly there, letting the ball roll under their feet and off for a throw in. They both literally did this with their first touch. Why did they come on? Why were they both playing at right back? We had six different fullbacks in this game. What ARE we doing?

Ole - I'm not sure we are a "Poorly coached team", but his game management is non existent. He doesn't notice completely obvious things, such as when one of his players is on the verge of being sent off, and one of his former players who's an expert at getting people sent off, comes on for the other team. When he does make changes they are just random and for the sake of it. Like subbing off Cavani then subbing on a fat Ighalo to play in Cavani's position 5 minutes later.

Some of our players seem to have a lifetime loyalty card with him. What does De Gea have to do for Henderson to get a chance? Why have people like Lingard been frozen out if Matic can keep getting picked every other fecking game despite the fact he basically retired two years ago?

It's all a bit too LVG for me at this point. The football is more entertaining but it's the same randomness. The in game management has no relation to what's happening in the game, and the team selection for the next game has no relation to what happened in the last one. Expecting tactical mastermindery from someone who can't get the basics right is like expecting a work of art from someone who's trying to use a pencil sharpener on a paint brush.

The ref - Presumably read my comment about CL refs being better than the PL ones and thought he needed to make sure everyone knew I was an idiot.
Great post. Agree with everything, apart from maybe the LVG part. I hated our football under LVG, it was insanely boring. We're definitely not that, but how can we be so brilliant and so shite in one game or from one game to the next? Look at West Ham, probably some of the worst football we've played in years in the first half then sumptuous in the second half - it doesn't make any sense. It keeps happening but eventually we'll stop being able to come back in these games and they'll just become losses. For me, the AWB issue is symptomatic of our problems right now. Why does he keep getting caught out in the same way in so many games? Surely he's aware that he's constantly out of position? Is he being told to do that? The mind boggles. We desperately need some consistency or our season will be over before it's really started.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Great post. Agree with everything, apart from maybe the LVG part. I hated our football under LVG, it was insanely boring. We're definitely not that, but how can we be so brilliant and so shite in one game or from one game to the next? Look at West Ham, probably some of the worst football we've played in years in the first half then sumptuous in the second half - it doesn't make any sense. It keeps happening but eventually we'll stop being able to come back in these games and they'll just become losses. For me, the AWB issue is symptomatic of our problems right now. Why does he keep getting caught out in the same way in so many games? Surely he's aware that he's constantly out of position? Is he being told to do that? The mind boggles. We desperately need some consistency or our season will be over before it's really started.
Yeah the LVG football was on an incomparable level of dull, but it's the randomness that I find worryingly similar. LVG would just change everything around from one game to the next, regardless of what happened in the previous one...and his subs just made no fecking sense. Ole is the same in that regard. You have more chance of being "rested" for playing well than you do of being dropped for costing your team the bloody game every other week.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Which is why he should be sacked but won't be because Woody hasn't got it in him to pull the trigger on an ex utd player
if reports are right about us losing up to £50m from our CL failure, one of them might have to own up and admit the whole thing has been a complete farce

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Jose is a strong manager and didn't get what he wanted. I think there are just limits to what we can do as a club with the parasites running us.

Doesn't take away from Oles inadequacies though. Part of me hopes he can learn before being sacked. But I'm sceptical.
You're right.. Jose didn't get what he wanted - and got sacked/got himself sacked. I'd say we need to start again, but don't feel we've ever got started in the past two years

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah being unable to control simple passes did strongly evoke the spirit of Nick Powell.
I was appalled by Tuanzebe’s cameo. Easily the worst he’s looked. Expected by Fosu-Mensah at this point. One of them started wasting time in the corner flag, surely they didn’t think we were drawing? :lol:

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 272 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • RB Leipzig win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% RB Leipzig 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% RB Leipzig 1:1 Man Utd