CL L Champions League Group H

RB Leipzig 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 December 2020

acnumber9

As is standing there watching the guy run past you repeatedly. It doesn't take a genius.
But I’m not arguing that Wan Bissaka wasn’t bad. I’m arguing that regardless of how bad he was, the rest of the team were terrible too. It wasn’t Wan Bissaka’s fault nobody was defending the far post for their second. It wasn’t his fault that when somebody got past him that none of our three centre backs, other full back or two defensive midfielders bothered to pick up the guy unmarked on the penalty spot. Or that we didn’t set up to play football or give our forwards any chance of getting the ball.

Giggzy P

How can one defend that performance. Absolute piss poor management, which to be honest should be expected, but then not making any changes until have, time, Then to think that Telles, Shaw and Williams, TFM, Axel all played in a match we were trying to win.

Ole at the Wheel

sdb4884

Ole completely at fault with tactics and lineup alone, hello owners ? Anymore proof that this guy doesn't know shit about management? When you've got the likes of Poch and Allegri just sitting there?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I guess Greenwood and like can go back to scoring against plumbers while we go back to hyping them up as generational talents.

RedMilo

That team selection was terrible. Playing a back 5 with 2 further statues in McT & Matic sat in front was just inviting them to attack us from the 1st minute. There was just no outlet, it was really poor by Solskjaer. AWB positioning cost us again and what was DDG doing for their 3rd goal. Ive enjoyed what OGS has done, but this team aint winning shit. Feel sorry for Bruno, deserves better than these Europa League blaggers.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Who’s come on to say we were unlucky?

we were shit for a lot if it. The guy is clueless and these games will happen again and again till we find a coach that has some tactical acumen

Mr Smith

For the first time since his appointment, and with a heavy heart, I'm calling for Ole's head. I desperately wanted him to be successful here but it's clearer every day he never will be. Tactically inferior and apparently unable to motivate our players. This team is less than the sum of its parts and that shouldn't be the case.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I didn’t watch the game but it sounds like Spanish Mike Dean had another masterclass

Farfetched

In a wider view the sooner we adopt rugby unions time management the better. The amount of time wasting allowed was poor for a micro manager like tonight‘s ref.

cyberman

How did they get away with that last chance? Its either an own goal or a tap in.

Siorac

They cant. We are officially out of the champions league.
Fun fact: had we not conceded a third goal last week, an Istanbul win would actually save us.

OK, it's more like a depressing fact.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Ole is who he is and we cannot expect more of him. He’s not elite. Time for him to on.
The danger is that the board likes him and Ole is capable of winning just enough to keep them happy but not enough to improve us further. We're in danger of just existing in this weird zone of acceptable mediocrity.

Okey

I love Ole, I really do, but he isn’t a top manager.

If he goes tomorrow, where would he end up. Back at Molde is my guess.

What on earth were his subs about? Takes Telles off when Shaw is on a yellow and not match fit only to replace Shaw with Williams. It’s mental!

chasing a goal with Mata and Ighalo on the bench and he opts instead for Tuanzebe and TFM. madness

damage was done playing a back 7 from the start
This! If I didn't have a haircut yesterday, I'd have torn it all out. If Shaw was gonna go off, then why take Telles off first?! The Tuanzebe and TFM changes defy belief. Like he had given up and was just giving players minutes. You'll always be our legend Ole, but it's time to go. You've done your resetting job. It's time to actually move forward.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Believe it or not our defense is still crap!

On a positive note its a nail in Oles coffin. As much as a love the player. I think he needs to go :(

Zlaatan

Parody Account
That was fecking weird. If Shaw only had 60 minutes in him, why would he not take Shaw out at half-time if he wanted to switch to a back four?
Unless Telles hurt himself going into the dressing room at half-time it makes no sense whatsoever.

If we start with DvB we win this match as the issue in the first half was clearly our midfield getting dominated and Matic and McTomminay not providing support to Bruno.
Second half it changed as soon as DvB came on.

Also Ole used the exact same tactics he used when we beat Leipzig, obviously their manager will adapt tactically expecting it.

Genuinely, the difference was in the two managers. We clearly have the better players.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That team selection was terrible. Playing a back 5 with 2 further statues in McT & Matic sat in front was just inviting them to attack us from the 1st minute. There was just no outlet, it was really poor by Solskjaer. AWB positioning cost us again and what was DDG doing for their 3rd goal. Ive enjoyed what OGS has done, but this team aint winning shit. Feel sorry for Bruno, deserves better than these Europa League blaggers.
I thought we would do 352 but with VDB who can pass and move.

croadyman

Should feel more gutted but quite frankly we got what we deserved for taking beating Istanbul for granted. We showed tonight that we weren't winning this competition with such a woeful defence

big rons sovereign

But I’m not arguing that Wan Bissaka wasn’t bad. I’m arguing that regardless of how bad he was, the rest of the team were terrible too. It wasn’t Wan Bissaka’s fault nobody was defending the far post for their second. It wasn’t his fault that when somebody got past him that none of our three centre backs, other full back or two defensive midfielders bothered to pick up the guy unmarked on the penalty spot. Or that we didn’t set up to play football or give our forwards any chance of getting the ball.
He was facing Angelino in the build up for the second, but instead of staying on him, he wanders off then doesn't press him before the cross. It's basic stuff.

atkar83

We were lucky to come out of that first half just 2-0 down. It could have been 4 and should have been 3. The setup wasn't working as soon as it were were down 2, so why not make a formation change right there and there? Why wait till half time and waste close to 30 minutes? This team needed as much time as possible to get on the front foot and we wasted precious minutes in the first half. Those minutes are just as important as the 80-90 mins.

Heinzesight

You are surprised? Try ask them what how much they believed in us going through when the groups first came out... Last years two CL-finalists... NOBODY here would have given us a chance in hell.. and now we almost make it, and they act like its the end of the fecking world. Pathetic.
We had qualification in our hands in three games pretty much and blew all three. It’s a disaster not getting out of that group once we had such a strong position. Yeah before the CL kicked off it looked doubtful but come on, this fecking hurts.

The United

Thought RB were average.

Incredibly shite defending from us and both of our fowards wasting a couple of good chances in the first half made the difference.

Robindinho

Someone want to explain those subs please?

We need to score and he brings on Williams, Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah :confused:

Could understand one of Tuanzebe/Fosu for speed at the back to prevent a counter but what a waste of the other two.

Really can’t be arsed with europa league :(

Asger

Hahahaha ofcourse Rio and Scholes blame De Gea and defend slowest and most overrated defender in the history of PL. Good to be English!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Getting hammered on Talksport. They are saying about AWB, but said he got hung out to dry as no help given at all, also that he was playing RWB as if they were playing a flat back four.

acnumber9

He was facing Angelino in the build up for the second, but instead of staying on him, he wanders off then doesn't press him before the cross. It's basic stuff.
Yes, he defended poorly. They all did. Wan Bissaka is not the sole reason for us losing. We were put on the back foot and exposed his weaknesses with the team selection.

Strelok

We lost, so Ole is responsible.

However imo the tactic and plan was right. It's logical to sit back and counter this match. But to do that, we must defend well first. Our defenders should be ashamed of themselves today. Truth is their three goals were very simple and very very easy. Exactly like the Sevilla match last season. Our defenders and keeper were like they simply didn't exist.

The Real Treble 99

1st half we were shambolic. 2nd half was excellent but as I said in match day it was going to be too late. Wrong starting lineup & a defensive meltdown for all the goals lost the game for us.

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 272 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • RB Leipzig win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% RB Leipzig 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% RB Leipzig 1:1 Man Utd