CL L Champions League Group H

RB Leipzig 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 December 2020

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
At least we have a chance to knock out FC Mourinho from the Europa league...

KcB32

We lost, so Ole is responsible.

However imo the tactic and plan was right. It's logical to sit back and counter this match. But to do that, we must defend well first. Our defenders should be ashamed of themselves today. Truth is their three goals were very simple and very very easy. Exactly like the Sevilla match last season. Our defenders and keeper were like they simply didn't exist.
mental gymnastics here man

Trophy Room

I said this was a season-defining game beforehand. The europa league is going to be naturally demoralising and the scheduling has ended any chance we had of competing for the league. Top 4 will be tough now and exclusion from the CL next season will have dire consequences on our transfer strategy. It’s a shame because we are making progress I think. I would be very impressed if we recover mentally to beat City.

RedMilo

I thought we would do 352 but with VDB who can pass and move.
Ive got no problem with 3-5-2 but there was no outlet in midfield. It should have been DVB or Pogba alongside Matic for me. Move it quicker and give them something to think about but we surrendered the 1st half to them quite easily with the way we set up.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Absolute rubbish, I don't want to hear a word about how close we were to going through. Leipzig have their own problems, they look very brittle when the pressure is on, so I'm giving us zero credit for almost climbing out of a pit we ourselves dug and bloody well jumped into.

From our point of view it's all about the shambolic way we approached that game in the first half. The defence... AWB positionally abject and clearly targeted for that reason early on. Lindelof, Maguire and De Gea shockingly weak and timid, giving the ball away in daft areas and not taking care of a ball rolling across the box. You don't need world class defenders/goalkeepers to be able to deal with that third goal, and the talent this group of players has is far too high to be serving up these disgusting Keystone Cops routines every single fecking week. Shaw and Telles, positionally poor and unable to progress the ball. Matic and Scott like turnstiles in the middle of the park and offering nothing going forwards. Bruno, Rashy and Mason all wasteful, though fed very much on scraps.

Ole cannot set us up properly in these various systems of his. The naivety of our narrowness (in a pissing back five!), of being quelled by their press time and again, of not reading the diagonal ball three or more fecking times, was embarrassing to watch. Ok so we had more of the game, we dug in etc. but we all knew this gimmick of starting games so poorly wasn't sustainable and we've got exactly what we deserve tonight. The amount of times players were stood on the ball gesticulating for lads to show for it, to move for it, that and the various defensive abominations tonight are indicative of a team with a chemistry issue; players don't know what their teammates are going to do and so cannot seem to rely on them to do the basics of modern team play.

A disgrace, and no more than we deserve.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Needed one point from three games. Lost all three. Says it all.

Tapori

Need to watch that first 25 mins again as I still have no idea why it all happened. Was it a tactical cock up by Ole or did our players just royally fcuk it up? I remember seeing many occasions where our 3 cbs were just marking space with only 1 Leipzig defender on our D. With 7 defensive players, how do Leipzig fullbacks get so much space they can directly pass to each other???

small note to Pogba who I thought have a brilliant cameo.
People will blame Ole. I blame him less for trusting his diabolically naive (at best; at worst stupid) back line collective football IQ.

That formation, though not perfect, should have kept us at 0-0 for half time if the players applied their nous at the back. With no fred Matic and Mctominay weren't perfect but AWB, Shaw and Maguire were culpable for much.

Sometimes you can have a bad game or get unlucky but we have a deeper problem in that we simply do not consistently make the best decisions at the back where you will be punished at this level.

Time for Tuanzebe to get a run

Deery

Dreary
Need to watch that first 25 mins again as I still have no idea why it all happened. Was it a tactical cock up by Ole or did our players just royally fcuk it up? I remember seeing many occasions where our 3 cbs were just marking space with only 1 Leipzig defender on our D. With 7 defensive players, how do Leipzig fullbacks get so much space they can directly pass to each other???

Looked like the players had no idea how to play the formation, probably because we haven’t played it in a while.

I’d put the blame squarely at Ole’s door for that..

Pennywise

7 defensive players to start the game. We got what we deserved.

I also imagined Ole bringing on 3 defenders when we were losing. I say imagined because there's no way that happened?

Ole needs to go

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Same context, same scoreline, and same country as LvG's last CL game. Individually a much upgraded team, as a unit ???

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Why on earth did we throw fecking TFM and Tuanzebe in? Absolutely bizzare, at least use Ighalo or someone like that.
One of the most confusing things which I saw today :lol:

I literally laughed at it.

Tapori

But I’m not arguing that Wan Bissaka wasn’t bad. I’m arguing that regardless of how bad he was, the rest of the team were terrible too. It wasn’t Wan Bissaka’s fault nobody was defending the far post for their second. It wasn’t his fault that when somebody got past him that none of our three centre backs, other full back or two defensive midfielders bothered to pick up the guy unmarked on the penalty spot. Or that we didn’t set up to play football or give our forwards any chance of getting the ball.
No it is on AWB. If you're playing to mirror Angelino as your opposite Wing-Back then LOOK. Don't just follow the line like a robot.

Angelino was simply far more better at reading the play and AWB was clueless for large parts of the game. Shocking.

Withnail

Thought they were fine.

It was £130m of Maguire and AWB that looked like the competition winners.
TFM had a nightmare and Williams was better but looked all sea on the left again. No idea why anyone thought he could play there. He's got no left foot and constantly gets himself into trouble.

Born2Lose

Pathetic performance, if you give the opposition a head start eventually it catches up with you.

They were out on their feet the end of the first half, should have absolutely steamrollered them.

Maguire and Lindelof's never going to work, they're a pair of cowards playing in front of an even bigger coward.

bdspeedy

A fish rots from the head. All of these managers have been scapegoats for our shite, incompetent board and owners. Don't get me wrong, it's been obvious for over a year the Ole isn't ready and may never be a top manager, but as long as Eddie is allowed to run anything other than sponsorships and shirt sales, we are proper fecked.

Redfrog

Blessing in disguise , concentrate on the premier league.
No mate, I think we will play full strengh in Europa as always. I am gutted we are playing it...
The spirit will be low for City and we need to win it to have hope for the season. But I can't see it, we are poor at the moment.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
You are surprised? Try ask them what how much they believed in us going through when the groups first came out... Last years two CL-finalists... NOBODY here would have given us a chance in hell.. and now we almost make it, and they act like its the end of the fecking world. Pathetic.
Leipzig cost about 20 quid to put together, they were without their 2 best players and we recently thumped them 5-0 so what does Ole do? Plays a back 7 instead of playing our own game. Another defeat that's on him.

Tapori

We lost, so Ole is responsible.

However imo the tactic and plan was right. It's logical to sit back and counter this match. But to do that, we must defend well first. Our defenders should be ashamed of themselves today. Truth is their three goals were very simple and very very easy. Exactly like the Sevilla match last season. Our defenders and keeper were like they simply didn't exist.
We have poor match intelligence. Simple. T

RedIan

Agree with Rio, we set up all wrong tonight. we needed a draw, park the bus and play on the break. 3 at the back always leaves us wide open on the flank s as our wingbacks go missing.
We were slaughtered playing 3 at the back, always are. stupid decision to tamper with the structure.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

It was weird to say the least as it kept on happening. Angelino with acres of space

hubbuh

Hahahaha ofcourse Rio and Scholes blame De Gea and defend slowest and most overrated defender in the history of PL. Good to be English!
I didn't hear them defend Maguire? Scholesy just slammed Maguire for his lack of leadership so I don't know why you think there's some anti-English prejudice.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Frustrating because we made quite a few decent chances I thought, or at least decent long shots, with a little more luck were right in that game, however their first two were well worked goals and the kind we need to score more of.

Greenwood should have buried that first chance Christ of all the players we have id beg for that to fall to!

acnumber9

No it is on AWB. If you're playing to mirror Angelino as your opposite Wing-Back then LOOK. Don't just follow the line like a robot.

Angelino was simply far more better at reading the play and AWB was clueless for large parts of the game. Shocking.
Yes, he defended shite and the first goal was definitely all on him. Not the second or the fact we couldn’t leave our half for the first 20 minutes.

Ranchero

He played well, but we still fell short. I'd rather we sent out the message that we're moved on already. Annoying that he is puts in decent performances like this when he has a point to prove, but can't be bothered otherwise.

I can't fault the manager for the formation, 3 at the back was a sensible thing to do, and it's ironic that it's the sloppy defense that ended up costing us.

I have no interest whatsoever in watching us play in the Europa.
He turns it on and off when he wants to, and when he is in the shop window.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
We had qualification in our hands in three games pretty much and blew all three. It’s a disaster not getting out of that group once we had such a strong position. Yeah before the CL kicked off it looked doubtful but come on, this fecking hurts.
I agree completely, but I just think we so easily see our faults, but sometimes forget that it was actually impressive for us to do so well in this group. And it was not today or last game vs PSG we lost this group. We lost it by losing to the awful Turkey team.

Tapori

Pogba? VDB? No, just ignore those and go straight to TFM? Ok. Selective to fit your agenda but fine, let’s talk TFM.

Legs at the back along with height should we get a set piece maybe?
I agreed with TFM sub. AWB was poor today.

I think {Tuanzebe would have been better to start in that back 3

RyRoc

Forget the last 25 minutes - we all know this team can fight when their backs are against the wall. This was a game United needed to get something from and that first 25 minutes was about as one sided as it gets. It’s not sustainable to keep playing like that and tonight was the harshest reality of it ...

Ranchero

Ole should hold his hand up and say it is his fault... but he hasn't. He is blaming the players.

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 272 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • RB Leipzig win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% RB Leipzig 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% RB Leipzig 1:1 Man Utd