SC L UEFA Super Cup

Real Madrid 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 August 2017

evil_geko

And the disrespect Fellaini gets from certain people, when he always gives so much for the shirt, disgusts me.
It's not as much towards the player himself as it is towards the playstyle we adopt once he comes in. Him coming in basically means we transform to Stoke.

Castia

I was working during the first half and caught the game from around 60 mins in and thought we did ok.

Really strange not to see Martial come on whilst chasing a goal, should have sacrificed a defender and gone for it.

Thepinhead

Still some way to go before we are a top European team again. But the guys gave their all against an experienced side. Let's not forget we were up against a cl winning team.

Smalling and lindelof just didn't very well. Matic man of the match for me closely followed by darmian.

Josep Dowling

At one point I thought it was going to be 4-0 but managed to pull it back.

Ref is way too favourable towards these Spanish teams. Isco and Ronaldo just fell to the floor and it's a foul.

luke511

Rashford is way too inconsistent at the moment. Ridiculous Martial is nowhere to be seen in a game like this as well.

lococol

We can't compete at that level with Fellaini, Smalling and Lingard on our books. We will do well in the PL that's about it.
Fellaini and Smalling were decent mate, against the best team in Europe they were sound. Its our finishing once again

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I asked how much better Real Madrid are versus United last year, I. E. How many players would we swap with Real Madrid for example and I think the answers were right, pretty much all of them except DDG.

Pogba is not a £90m player. Matic is fine, but no Modric or Casmiro or Isco.

And obviously conversation doesn't even need to be had about forwards. Benzema, Bale and Ronaldo are a dream away from what we have. Maybe Lukaku can be talked about as productive as Benzema but certainly not as all round brilliant.

The wing backs are amazing at Madrid. If Shaw wasn't disabled we might have that and Valencia is still decent.

Our defenders today lack the steel of Madrid, but first choice for me is Bailly and Rojo or Jones who are all a lot stronger than Smalling and Lindelof.

So yeah basically it's sad how limited our team are in comparison.

stubie

Fellaini was our best player.....says it all!

Was not impressed with Lindelof

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
We were awful, we can't seem to string more than 2 passes together and what annoys me is why we continually start with turd jessica Lingard.

Also, Rashford just isn't clinical enough for me and does anyone know why he takes free kicks when he seems to crap at them?

sect2k

Decent entertaining game, had our chances to score more, but so did Real. The ref was horrible and that's putting it mildly. If Spain ever introduces bans for simulation, Real might have trouble fielding a team.

ManUnitedCanuck

We have the same problem as last season, we need to take chances. AGainst a top side we won't get many so need to take the ones we get. We had some good opportunities today but did not score.

They were the better side by far, but we still had some chances to score.

Still think we need that one player that can create and finish their own opportunity when really in need. Particularly in those tightly contested 0-0 and 1-1 type matches.

Looking forward to the season!

William_Meredith

Supports
Swansea City
Positives are:
- Matic
- Rashford
- Fellaini
- We won't play a better side again this season
- Hopefully that's the end of Lingard as a starter

By an almost astronomical distance, the appearence of Fellaini today on the bench, let alone on the pitch, does not constitute a positive for Manchester United. Mourinho seems intent upon completing the Moyes project of turning the biggest club in the world into Everton.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Not... awful, Real showed their class for the most part.

Need more speed and directness. Rashford supplied both 2nd half.

Need more of it.

Peanut Butter

Matic is a lovely player to have. Real Madrid are immense.

Best side won, we did ok in patches.

Unmutual

They're a class apart, and we deserve a little credit for keeping going when we could have folded at 2-0. Still, not a good performance though. Most worrying is that the problems of last season are seemingly all still there.

TheReligion

Abusive
We are much better with pace.

Rashford/Martial have to start in one of the wide areas.

Matic looks awesome and Lindelof more settled.

Lemansky

Loads of positives to take from this game by us. Real Madrid will be the best team we will meet in a good while and we showed very good character and created chances. Matic looks like our most important signing this year, he will be vital in the premiership. Fellaini and Rashford both played really well. Can't understand the criticism Fella gets. He always gives 100% and literally bleeds for our jersey. I know he has his faults, but I reckon he will be very important for us again this year. Mourinho gets the best out of him.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Truthfully we aren't showing any improvement from last season at present. Pogba was awful, Herrera anonymous, Rashford poor, Lindelof worries me, Valencia not at his best yet.

Despite playing 3 at the back they still found themselves with a man over in the box, they hit the bar twice, De Gea made 5 or 6 terrific saves.

After we scored a lucky goal we never looked like scoring.

It seems that we still want to sit in narrow and compact but haven't addressed the problem of counter attacking with pace, instead we are relying on long balls over the top towards Lukaku, fellaini and Pogba.

Worrying performance to be blunt.

Eire Red United

By an almost astronomical distance, the appearence of Fellaini today on the bench, let alone on the pitch, does not constitute a positive for Manchester United. Mourinho seems intent upon completing the Moyes project of turning the biggest club in the world into Everton.
Even though he was one of our best players? (Albeit from the little bit I saw). It was his excellent control which led to Rashfords chance.

AngliaRed

Defending always looked rash and last ditch! We should of signed a decent LB.

Lingard was awful.

Miki had good moments and bad moments

Pogba needs to start taking games by the scruff, whick im sure he will do.

Matic was brilliant, great signing!

Lukaku often isolated, needed that goal.

Fellani and Rashford showed good fight and Rashford should of done better with his chance.

Decent enough performance against the best team in the world. Roll on Sunday!

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
honestly happy with that performance, to a large degree.

like others have said, madrid are the best team on the planet. it's early days for this season, and our season as far as i'm concerned officially starts this weekend. i think we're about right

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Even the refs are getting medals, they were basically playing for real.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Outclassed at times by the best side in the World for large parts of the game. But also plenty of positives, especially considering Mourinho was experimenting with the system. On the basis of this performance I would expect United to be challenging for the league and maybe decent run in the Champions League.

Lentwood

We played the best team in Europe and could feasibly have got something so no complaints

As I have said a few times, it's just a few players around the edges that we need. You can get away with one Darmian, Fellaini, Lindelof (at current development) etc...but when you have a few on the field together its just the little half errors and slightly off passes that cost you.

Pogba proved to me once again that he has to play central and deeper. I have never seen him have a good game for us in an AM role I don't think it suits him at all to play with his back to goal

MoTM for me would be the much maligned Mr. .....Mike Smalling

lococol

The Fellaini hate is boring now. He held his own out there.

RAVred

Hope martial starts vs west ham or we may as well sell.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Nice to see us playing a decent European side again.

We started off playing ok, but clearly outclassed. Sure, Real are the best team in the world, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be better. Annoying to see people using Real being so good as excuses for us not being better.

Same old problems with our play. We apparently have to take years upon years to change things that shouldn't take that long.
We don't have enough quality, obviously. Our wings are limp.
The speed of play and intent/accuracy of it is the real killer. That was the main difference between us and Madrid and we'll see that throughout the CL, specially if we manage to progress.
Pogba's decision making is both slow and atrocious, to be honest.

We played alright, but I don't doubt that Real let us into the game, and wouldn't expect that if it was a CL knockout.

Bwuk

Really think with the squad we have now we should replicate Madrids formation.

If we had an attacking left back the diamond would suit us to a tee.

Anyway, I'm happy enough. We won't face anyone in the league as good as Madrid anyway.

Fracture90

That didn't really happen though. We started very well with pressure high, but were forced back by Madrid.
Were you watching the game by any chance? We choose to defend and attack on counter in the first half. Only for the first 10 minutes we were decent, after which we were overrun. Mourinho has some amazing players on his disposal but he just don't want to step out of his comfort zone which is ultra defensive, counterattacking football.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Truthfully we aren't showing any improvement from last season at present. Pogba was awful, Herrera anonymous, Rashford poor, Lindelof worries me, Valencia not at his best yet.

Despite playing 3 at the back they still found themselves with a man over in the box, they hit the bar twice, De Gea made 5 or 6 terrific saves.

After we scored a lucky goal we never looked like scoring.

It seems that we still want to sit in narrow and compact but haven't addressed the problem of counter attacking with pace, instead we are relying on long balls over the top towards Lukaku, fellaini and Pogba.

Worrying performance to be blunt.
Jesus christ, people are clueless here. Fellaini chance. Rashford missed a fecking sitter.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Madrid were easily better team and showed why they are back to back CL winners. We did well to get back into the game, just missed glorious chance in the end to equalize. Madrid should have scored few more too.

Matic was class, Smalling was very good, Fellani showed why he is important squad player.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 623 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Real Madrid 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Real Madrid 2:1 Man Utd