CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Sevilla 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 21 February 2018

Stubble

One word sums this United side up completely.... disjointed.

RoyH1

Boring game all round. We’re lucky we have DDG there to save us from disaster.

Pyro19

But I thought Lukaku was a Top class centre forward since he scored against the mighty Huddersfield?

Jig1234

Another soul-sucking performance.

The second leg is going to be agonising. We'll all crap our pants every time Sevilla cross the halfway line looking for an away goal.

Ban

Was hoping we would get the away goal as I'm sure they will score at OT.
Not sure what way the next round will go to be honest.
Oh and it was a crap watch.
I don't think they'll score at OT.

But if they do... We're in huge problems.

Even if we score first I hope we won't defend the deal cause one their goal and we're out.

Infra-red

Mourinho says the result reflects the game and that Sevilla's shots were "statistic shots" - whatever that means.

CristianH

Supports
Inter Milan
Not a bad result, but a very poor perfomance. I don't think that is what Mourinho wants. He isn't getting the things he wants done.

redNATION

We wont. We will just sit back like tonight or Chelsea did last night and which ever team will struggle to break us down.
Sevilla got through multiple times, so sitting back in this game didnt really work (they were let down by poor decision making). Players like Messi, Ronaldo etc. dont make those mistakes, we let them have 20 shots at DDG, we'll ship a few and it'll be over in the first leg.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Very decent result.

I think a lot of negativity is due to City and Liverpool getting good results in their respective games.
Yes, this definitely plays a part. The away goal would have been good but to be honest, a week ago we looked like we were in absolute shambles after Newcastle. To progress in the FA cup and draw away to Sevilla - not the worst thing in the world.

More worrying is the complete and utter lack of any cohesion to our play at the moment. There's nothing approaching link up play and it's all falling to individual moments of brilliance to try and create even half-chances. Things seem to have gone into flux after Sanchez's arrival, which is worrying considering we're in the midst of our most important run of the season. The results won't stay kind unless we start to up the quality of play. Whether it's more offensive or defensive, we need to start playing better as a team immediately.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Very decent result.

I think a lot of negativity is due to City and Liverpool getting good results in their respective games.
Good to have some perspective. I wouldn't say very but definitely decent. Hope you're doing well Sults.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Not particularly worried about beating them at home. They were dire.

Cait Sith

25 vs. 6 shots
8 vs. 1 on target
12 vs. 4 corners

Against Sevilla, a tier 3 team.

This is a team that spent 500 million in the past 3 seasons and is managed by a supposed elite coach.

automaticflare

Very similar to the Liverpool away performance which Jose was slated for getting a point even though everyone else has got a thumping there.

When we opened up against Spurs we got spanked and folks wanted us to shore up.

We do it away in European cup and gets slated again. Can’t win.

One risk is the lack of away goals that could haunt us.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very decent result.

I don't care about City or Liverpool. We were overly negative tonight, showed no desire to score a goal or even win. All this against one of the weaker teams in the competition, what are our odds against the likes of Madrid, Bayern and Barca then? That's where the negativity comes from for me.

Sandyman

Looked like a hamstring- weeks out probably. Not good. Hope Carrick is fit.
Not sure having Carrick against the physical Chelsea midfield will be effective. Matic also looks knackered. Hopefully Pogba is 100%.

Snafu17

Well in 2010 we went to the San Siro and beat Milan 3-2 in the first leg.
The year before that we also went to San Siro and drew 0-0 against Inter. And the year before that there was Lyon which finished 1-1 with Tevez scoring late on. We weren't particularly inspiring in that one either.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I don't get how people are saying it's a typical Jose performance away in a big game. Jose's Chelsea and Madrid were not as terrible as this team.

A defensive performance is based around organization and structure. It's about killing off space to operate, cutting out passing lines, and forcing shots from range instead of in the box. We had NONE of that, today. No collective closing down of space, no restricting of possession to non dangerous areas, and no attempts at cutting out passing lines. We were trying to be a defensive team and being shit at it. Any keeper other than David de Gea, and we would have rightfully lost.

Jose is being lucky. Just like he was against Liverpool when Salah missed sitters. Not so lucky against City, Spurs or Chelsea, all of whom deservedly dominated, entertained and beat us.

I don't understand how someone can take a squad with players like with Sanchez, Martial and Pogba in it, and make them look consistently dull and toothless game after game. Imagine those three in a City/Barca/Bayern/Madrid team - they'd be tearing defenders apart.

I believed that Mourinho was the manager for us, but now I'm worried he's outdated and no longer the tactical genius he was. It's concerning.

Spirit of Solskjaer

Trust Lawro to spout some absolute nonsense:

"David de Gea has been Manchester United’s standout performer which says everything. 0-0 in some cases is a good result, but Man Utd will need to score twice at Old Trafford because I back Seviilla to score twice. I'm absolutely certain of that."

1) They just failed to score once at home, but will definitely score twice away? Okay.

2) Pretty sure that would mean we have to score three times.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I agree with ducker here. It is not ultra defensive or negative football as such. I am not even sure I can point a finger at Jose. It is somehow as if the players find strange ways to run around like headless chickens
Tbf, it's his job to get them not to run around like headless chickens.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How are we in the drivers seat? Sevilla need not to lose at Old Trafford and theyre through.
They didn't look like scoring outside of the 2 shots and we didn't even turn up, at home. I'm not overly worried.

Jaap

RATINGS v Sevilla (/10):

De Gea (9/10) - During Neuer's absence, he's the best goalkeeper in the world. THAT save was probably the best since Schmeichel v Vienna in 1996. Mindblowing.

Valencia (6/10) - Solid, nothing more. Defensively, he was troubled at times, didn't offer too much in attack. Okay.

Smalling (7/10) - Another defensively sound display. Did what was asked.

Lindelöf (7/10) - Thought he also did well next to Smalling. Passing was decent.

Young (6/10) - Not a full-back but is obviously rated higher than Shaw, which is a shame as he constantly gets caught out of position. Up against a very good winger, he'll be brutally exposed.

McTominay (7.5/10) - Picked ahead of Pogba & warranted that selection. Got stuck in, battled hard, worked tirelessly. Good game.

Matic (5/10) - Careless on the ball, passing was silly at times. Plucked a few holes in defence but his form is steadily decreasing ater a superb start to the season.

Herrera (n/a) - Injured after fifteen minutes.

Pogba (6/10) - IMO, he played like he hardly cared. Got better as the game went on but didn't put a stamp on the game. Passing average. Expecting a lot more from him.

Mata (5/10) - As usual, neat & careful passing but not a whole lot more. Didn't influence the game.

Lukaku (6/10) - Held the ball well at times but was left alone up top. Wasn't his worst performance but looks so slow & clumsy.

Sanchez (6/10) - Tried & tried but I feel he'd be better off behind Lukaku with another speedy winger.

Mourinho (5/10) - His plan worked & it paid off; he would have been happier with an away goal but it was a typical ultra-defensive plan with not a lot going forward. Frustrating for us fans. Some'll call it clever but I find it embarassing for a club of our statue.

caid

Makes me laugh when people say shit like "We used to win 14 nil every game under SAF. Don't you remember?" Yes I'm talking to you Lance Uppercut. @The Bloody-Nine

Thing is, this happens way more, in fact nearly all the time when we play away. We shit the bed, defend, have no fluidity, or any plan apart from defend, defend, defend. You might be happy, but feck me it is shite init.
I dont think were actually that good at sitting back and defending tbh.
We dont look like a Juventus. We don't look canny or pragmatic or that hard to get past.
We dont look that dangerous when we do get the ball.
It looks too feckless and hapless to be something opponents would be worried about.

RedDevil@84

Tbf, it's his job to get them not to run around like headless chickens.
Ya I agree that the buck stops with Jose.
But somehow, I am not sure why players have gone down the hill after they were looking up in Dec and start of year

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 89% of 702 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 490 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw