CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Sevilla 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 21 February 2018

crossy1686

career ending
What are you talking about. I didn't say we won't go through. We're favourites but we can easily concede a goal at Old Trafford. Feck we were a whisker from going out against Celta Vigo last season.
Wasn't having a go at you. I was having a go at the people who are saying that Sevilla will definitely score in the second leg and we won't.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
City, and more recently Liverpool and Spurs, have broken many people in here.
Is it really bad to expect to be better than Liverpool and Spurs going forward considering the money spent and the players we have? I don’t think it is.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Every single United fan would like to see a more adventuros approach.

But, Mourinho is our manager, and we all knew what to expect before the game started. If we win the second leg, we know what to expect in the next away game also. The players are limited by the tactical approach. But that is Mourinho's philosophy.

I'm trying to convince myself that Mourinho had half a thought on sundays match.
I think so seeing as we started the game with Pogba,Martial and Rashford on the bench. I think all three will start against the chavs.

Pass and Move

Matic was good. Good discipline at the back. Sick and tired of the poor passing and decision making in the final third though. Another poor performance overall but at least some professionalism which has been missing in recent weeks.
Matic was atrocious. Did you actually watch the game? He wasn’t the one in green using his hands.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You can't say that as if it's fact. Absolutely anything could happen in the following round. Especially if the draw is kind to us.
I believe that because the style of football we play simply isn't at champions league quarter final level. If it was a one match knockout then i'd agree, but over two games we're not good enough.

You can disagree np, but I think most here would say this is our level right now.

stepic

Well yes of course we're favourites at home but were only a key decision or a mistake from conceding and the way we've been attacking it's entirely possible we may end up drawing at OT. It's not cut and dry.
it's not cut and dry but we're still in the driving seat. would you have preferred to have drawn 0-0 at OT and had to go there and win? not many would want that.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Sanchez plays against our tide. He doesn’t quite understand how to play in our team
That’s fair comment. He played a few good passes including the chip skied by Lukaku. But yes, it will take time. Having a consistent 11 would help him.

Ban

I believe that because the style of football we play simply isn't at champions league quarter final level. If it was a one match knockout then i'd agree, but over two games we're not good enough.

You can disagree np, but I think most here would say this is our level right now.
I don't think we'll do it of course but remember Chelsea in 2012. THey weren't exactly brilliant, on the contrary.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Ya I agree that the buck stops with Jose.
But somehow, I am not sure why players have gone down the hill after they were looking up in Dec and start of year
Don't have any problem with the result, I even don't mind the approach. Just find it strange that a team who has Matic, Pogba, Mata and Sanchez in the build-up isn't able to be dangerous on the counter and we look so disjointed at times.

We have to pick up our form for the remaining of the season. We showed before, as you say, that we're capable to play good football, especially in transition.

RetroGlory

Why everyone is in a mood is beyond me. Get behind the team. Advantage being at home in second leg.

Siorac

It really wasn’t that bad. Nothing you haven’t seen dozens of times in European aways over those 40 years.
But then we also had the Burnley draw, the Southampton borefest, Newcastle A, Spurs A, the first half at Huddersfield - the lifeless shit performances keep piling up. I mean these are all from the last two months... It's not like this is a one-off, or a "textbook Euro away game" - this is how we play most of the time, especially away from home.

deafepl

Ya I agree that the buck stops with Jose.
But somehow, I am not sure why players have gone down the hill after they were looking up in Dec and start of year
2 reasons I can only think of, we played 3-5-2 in November to early December and start of the year with Herrera/Fellaini in 4-3-3.

4-3-3 won't work with Sanchez when he takes much space of Pogba, he went deep often trying to collect the ball, it affected Pogba but as soon when he came off, Pogba instantly looked better.

wolvored

I don't get how people are saying it's a typical Jose performance away in a big game. Jose's Chelsea and Madrid were not as terrible as this team.

A defensive performance is based around organization and structure. It's about killing off space to operate, cutting out passing lines, and forcing shots from range instead of in the box. We had NONE of that, today. No collective closing down of space, no restricting of possession to non dangerous areas, and no attempts at cutting out passing lines. We were trying to be a defensive team and being shit at it. Any keeper other than David de Gea, and we would have rightfully lost.

Jose is being lucky. Just like he was against Liverpool when Salah missed sitters. Not so lucky against City, Spurs or Chelsea, all of whom deservedly dominated, entertained and beat us.

I don't understand how someone can take a squad with players like with Sanchez, Martial and Pogba in it, and make them look consistently dull and toothless game after game. Imagine those three in a City/Barca/Bayern/Madrid team - they'd be tearing defenders apart.

I believed that Mourinho was the manager for us, but now I'm worried he's outdated and no longer the tactical genius he was. It's concerning.
This. How anyone can defend him is beyond me. He isnt the Mourinho from old, and I think provided we finish top 4 this season, next season will be his last. Woody knows this as well thats why he only got a definite 1 year extension.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Wasn't having a go at you. I was having a go at the people who are saying that Sevilla will definitely score in the second leg and we won't.
Fair enough. I get ya now.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's a fine result. We had a game plan an we executed it.

I guess you can be annoyed at the plan itself, but the actual performance was fine in the fact that it comfortably achieved our goal.

OLLY ORANGE

Shocking starting line up, shocking game, shocking tempo and a shocking performance.
The buck stops at the managers feet.
Jose has not adapted or kept up with modern footballing tactics.
He doesn't like pacey football where ever he's managed.
He favours big physical players over small players.
Still thinks a score less away draw is a good result.
This is like watching his time at Madrid all over again and again will not last.

R'hllor

People want to see 3 passes stringed together, like some basic stuff in football and they get accused of being over demanding, on top of that asking for that is fault of Liverpool and City, dear God haha

tony54

This is not the Juventus Pogba, nonchalantly jogging about play completely passing him by, loosing the ball, not even the hint of an attempt of a tackle - whats up with the guy ? Not surprised Mourinho didnt start him he needs to sort his head out fast.
I would be thinking about letting him go, his play is no where near as good as his ego. We could get two decent young players with the money, who know which side their bread is buttered.

Jericholyte2

I just wonder how this severe lack of momentum is going to hurt our top four chances as I can see us getting turned Ver on Sunday, with Pool and Spurs coming back in to good bouts of form.

Would the board accept 5th?

The question would then have to be, if it's not bringing success, is this manager right for this club?

Jonno

The fact we're majorly concerned after an away draw in the CL knock out stages is pleasing. We've progressed massively under Mourinho in the past 18 months on the 4 years since Fergie.

diplomat

How was this game a comfortable 0-0 when DDG was MOTM by a mile yet again? If he gets injured or sold, we are screwed and we'll get hammered in such matches.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
it's not cut and dry but we're still in the driving seat. would you have preferred to have drawn 0-0 at OT and had to go there and win? not many would want that.
Well I'd be disappointed because on paper we're a better team than them. If it was Barcelona that we drew 0-0 at home with - I'd be satisfied because they didn't score an away goal and I'd be hopeful that we can nick something away from home. Which I'm sure what Sevilla will be thinking.

crossy1686

career ending

Chelsea 2012 Champions League winners spring to mind.

Marcky411

Match was there for the taking but we got another cowardly performance. Players look low on confidence.
Called the Jose drain, he has that knack, yet to see him really improve a player. We really missing Zlatan’s self belief, this team has absolutely no leaders in it, I was really hoping Matic would turn out to be that leader, alas.
I was wondering what Martial has done or said to piss off Jose, seeing he too is being left out of the team, alienating his best players for his new toy Sanchez.
Our team has really become disjointed since the arrival of Sanchez, not that we were really that free flowing to start off with and this could really cost us in the end. I feel this is like the gamble Jose took last year with the EL putting all his eggs into one basket. Luckily it paid off and we won the EL but had we lost, it would’ve been another disaster of a season ending 6th.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I don't think we'll do it of course but remember Chelsea in 2012. THey weren't exactly brilliant, on the contrary.
I crap on that Chelsea side every chance I get by they atleast scored 4 goals against Napoli. We look incapable of something like that.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 89% of 702 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 490 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw