CL L Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 1:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Tue, 13 March 2018

Bocca9978

Remember when everyone was slagging off Spurs for losing to one of the best teams in Europe (Juventus) and going out of the champions league. I wonder how those people feel now. Karma, I feel they share a major part in the loss as well. Just had to run your mouths didn’t you, tempted fate:nono:
Only there’s no such thing as karma or fate.
United playing shit was a definite factor.

IppoKun

Supports
Benfica
A lot of the players don't really have a CL mentality, some of them totally under performed (even Lukaku mention it, they just weren't there with the right mentality). It might be an unpopular opinion, but I think that Mourinho idea of bringing Fellaini in place of McTominay is that McTominay is more defensive midfielder, while Fellaini brings the height advantage inside Sevilla own box, bringing more offensive opportunities to United.

A quick view of the game stats, in the first 20 minutes of the game (like Mourinho was saying), things were going decent. Fellaini was the player who won more aerial duels from all United players, with most of those duels around the first 20 minutes:
https://i.imgur.com/SDBsV3S.png

We can also see that Fellaini wasn't really set to defend but to bring more attacking power to United, he had the most Offensive Aerials out of the whole United team:
https://i.imgur.com/cCjY9u2.png

But unfortunately, after those 20 something minutes the team started disappearing. Yes, the tactics didn't pane out like Mourinho wanted, and yes, the exhibition in a whole was poor. Mourinho tactics didn't pane out like he wanted them to, but I can understand the reason behind Fellaini. It's not like Mourinho set the team to wait for Sevilla mistakes or to defend a draw like some even suggest it by mentioning Fellaini. And yes, I'm not defending Fellaini exhibition (it was poor), just pointing it out how Fellaini was set up by Mourinho.

Loads of people here also talking bad about Sanchez in general (not just this game). Yes, Sanchez didn't perform like he's capable off, but are you guys forgetting that he didn't do pre-season? He signed with United and days after it, he was already playing for the team! Some players are capable of adapting faster than others, but it's unfair what some fans talk about Sanchez. In my opinion Sanchez will get better and perform better the more he adapts to United team.

At the end of the game, yes Mourinho tactics didn't pane out and some players totally froze (maybe CL nerves or lack of experience in CL?) but don't forget before this game United actually defeated Liverpool and Chelsea. Don't be so short-minded and forgetting those games because of a really bad game today, people overreact and want to sack the manager and some players like it was the end of the world. United last glorious days are in the past, things have to change and they won't change in a blink of an eye.

About the whistles of United fans against their own team. Another probably unpopular opinion here, but I think it's disgusting doing it when the game is still open at 0-0. I hated when Real Madrid fans do it to their own team, now United seems to be going to the same road... I mean, yeah sure they weren't playing good, some players were clearly nervous and didn't want to risk forward passes... whistling their own team won't make these nervous players playing better!

The first goal of Sevilla started by a misplaced forward pass from Valencia, after 3-4 side-passes in the United defense while the whole stadium or a big part of it was whistling to them. To me it was clear that Valencia wanted to make a risky pass where he shouldn't, influenced by the heavy whistle that was going on at that time. The result was a rapid attack by Sevilla leading to a goal... I just won't and can't understand these fans that sabotage their own team, even if the team wasn't playing good at that time, if you guys don't want to support the team when they don't play good by cheering on them, at least don't whistle.

United exhibition made me sad, but I was also mad about the lack of support around the whole game, especially at the whistling.

Deleted member 101472

Mourinho very clearly set the players out with a “let’s get an early goal” attitude, and when it didn’t come, what unfolded was extremely difficult to take in.

eat_grass

Although I am tired of Lukaku expecting every time the ball to get to him
I agree. Seeing him motion to his feet every time a teammate shoots or passes to someone else is annoying. He does it even if he was completely covered before the pass or shot.

But maybe he's turning into a closer, and demanding the ball every time is his way of saying "Jump on my back. I'll carry us." If that's the case, I don't mind it so much.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Don't know about you guys but I'm still mad about the manner we went out last night.

witchtrials

About the whistles of United fans against their own team. Another probably unpopular opinion here, but I think it's disgusting doing it when the game is still open at 0-0. I hated when Real Madrid fans do it to their own team, now United seems to be going to the same road... I mean, yeah sure they weren't playing good, some players were clearly nervous and didn't want to risk forward passes... whistling their own team won't make these nervous players playing better!
I think this has been debunked by fans who were at Old Trafford last night. The whistling was coming from Sevilla fans when we had the ball.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I'm still annoyed, it's honestly been years since I've still felt this way this long after a game. I thought I'd grown up, but now I'm not so sure.
For me the last time I was this mad was exactly five years ago against RM. We played well then and didn't deserve being eliminated so it felt like an injustice. Today I'm just annoyed with the way we played.

tony54

The more I think about Mourino and his style of play, the more I think he needs to be paid off and disappear elsewhere. I know the team weaknesses is not all his fault but FFS he's had two years to sort out a midfield. All the time he has been here we have had a piss poor midfield resulting with far too few shots on goal. Look at most other teams in the leagues and you notice that they have more shots on goal and get people into the box. At first principle this state of affairs is at schoolboy level.
I will not watch much more of this defensive crap.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I just posted this elsewhere but it would be better suited for here:

I have a conspiracy theory about last night. Bear with me.

I reckon that Jose didn't actually care if we progressed last night as he knew we aren't good enough to beat a City, Real etc over two legs.

He had done his job by getting us through the group stage. He also wanted one game a week from now on to guarantee top 4 finish.

He has been told countless times by Ed and the suits that CL qualification is everything. I don't like this theory but it's obvious to me. He simply didn't look arsed about being knocked out.
I think similar, he was surprised to lose last night but resigned to not winning it with this team anyway. He knows we could be embarrassed in a future round.

I doubt Woodward and the money men are happy though as this 'early' exit will have lost us a fortune. I expect we've made less in the CL this year than we did from the Europa run.

RedDevil@84

Remember when everyone was slagging off Spurs for losing to one of the best teams in Europe (Juventus) and going out of the champions league. I wonder how those people feel now. Karma, I feel they share a major part in the loss as well. Just had to run your mouths didn’t you, tempted fate:nono:
Meh!! If Karma was biting us every time we opened our mouths to banter, we would have been relegated already

Swift Football

A lot of the players don't really have a CL mentality, some of them totally under performed (even Lukaku mention it, they just weren't there with the right mentality). It might be an unpopular opinion, but I think that Mourinho idea of bringing Fellaini in place of McTominay is that McTominay is more defensive midfielder, while Fellaini brings the height advantage inside Sevilla own box, bringing more offensive opportunities to United.

A quick view of the game stats, in the first 20 minutes of the game (like Mourinho was saying), things were going decent. Fellaini was the player who won more aerial duels from all United players, with most of those duels around the first 20 minutes:
https://i.imgur.com/SDBsV3S.png

We can also see that Fellaini wasn't really set to defend but to bring more attacking power to United, he had the most Offensive Aerials out of the whole United team:
https://i.imgur.com/cCjY9u2.png

But unfortunately, after those 20 something minutes the team started disappearing. Yes, the tactics didn't pane out like Mourinho wanted, and yes, the exhibition in a whole was poor. Mourinho tactics didn't pane out like he wanted them to, but I can understand the reason behind Fellaini. It's not like Mourinho set the team to wait for Sevilla mistakes or to defend a draw like some even suggest it by mentioning Fellaini. And yes, I'm not defending Fellaini exhibition (it was poor), just pointing it out how Fellaini was set up by Mourinho.

Loads of people here also talking bad about Sanchez in general (not just this game). Yes, Sanchez didn't perform like he's capable off, but are you guys forgetting that he didn't do pre-season? He signed with United and days after it, he was already playing for the team! Some players are capable of adapting faster than others, but it's unfair what some fans talk about Sanchez. In my opinion Sanchez will get better and perform better the more he adapts to United team.

At the end of the game, yes Mourinho tactics didn't pane out and some players totally froze (maybe CL nerves or lack of experience in CL?) but don't forget before this game United actually defeated Liverpool and Chelsea. Don't be so short-minded and forgetting those games because of a really bad game today, people overreact and want to sack the manager and some players like it was the end of the world. United last glorious days are in the past, things have to change and they won't change in a blink of an eye.

The first goal of Sevilla started by a misplaced forward pass from Valencia, after 3-4 side-passes in the United defense while the whole stadium or a big part of it was whistling to them. To me it was clear that Valencia wanted to make a risky pass where he shouldn't, influenced by the heavy whistle that was going on at that time. The result was a rapid attack by Sevilla leading to a goal... I just won't and can't understand these fans that sabotage their own team, even if the team wasn't playing good at that time, if you guys don't want to support the team when they don't play good by cheering on them, at least don't whistle.

United exhibition made me sad, but I was also mad about the lack of support around the whole game, especially at the whistling.
I agree with your point regarding fellaini. Jose setup the team to attack , and miscalculated that we will see the ball far more than we actually did. And I am more than content with Fellaini's performance because we all know what his strengths/weaknesses are. The problem is when they start to control the game, and start passing in between lines, we needed to fix that. Why we did nothing to address it. I was expecting a change in half time , at least in our shape, if not personnel, but we continued in same fashion. Fellaini cannot be both up and down the pitch at the same time. Many times, he was in opposition half and when we lose possession, there was acres of space for Sevilla to attack.

Regarding whistling of players , its not for the first time that back 4 has passed the ball among themselves, quite literally 8 passes among themselves without moving a bit! We all know we have struggled to build the game from behind , but why is that repeating every game? We know our backline is not good at that, so what was our plan to tackle that, Matic to drop deep and pass the ball around or was it Pogba? Or was it to hoof the ball ( I don't mind holding as long as it's effective). If the plan was to hoof the ball , why play 8 passes among themselves!! For me , fans have every right to whistle and question the player's ability and manager's tactics.

In fact I believe we have given free pass to manager/players who should be doing their jobs more diligently. We need to put more pressure on this lot, who are earning like Kings but working like nobody. I would love it if in one home game at least, fans boo every back pass just to give strong message to players and manager.

Jose has lost a lot of credibility with this game and his post match comments.

spiriticon

Don't know about you guys but I'm still mad about the manner we went out last night.
I am still absolutely seething.

I tried to stay away from the cafe last night cause I knew I would be posting emotional shit. But today it's not been much better.

CallyRed

I just posted this elsewhere but it would be better suited for here:

I have a conspiracy theory about last night. Bear with me.

I reckon that Jose didn't actually care if we progressed last night as he knew we aren't good enough to beat a City, Real etc over two legs.

He had done his job by getting us through the group stage. He also wanted one game a week from now on to guarantee top 4 finish.

He has been told countless times by Ed and the suits that CL qualification is everything. I don't like this theory but it's obvious to me. He simply didn't look arsed about being knocked out.
The only thing i would say is that i remember reading somewhere that Woodwards target for Europe was Quarter finals, so i would be surprised if Mourinho was happy with last 16 finish.

Though we would have been spanked even harder by stronger teams.

edgar allan

The only thing i would say is that i remember reading somewhere that Woodwards target for Europe was Quarter finals, so i would be surprised if Mourinho was happy with last 16 finish.

Though we would have been spanked even harder by stronger teams.
We would have been spanked because of Jose's tactics not because we haven't the players to at least give the top teams a game.
Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea have been able to give top teams a game in the CL this year.
Its amazing what a positive approach and philosophy can deliver.

Danillaco

We had a great performance with McTominay and Matic, why disrupt that for Fellaini? And Pogba is brilliant at times, but is surely getting on my nerves with this "lazy" approach.

Mourinho was awful here.

feck me, where's the grit in a fella that size?

bdspeedy

I wish we had won but there is no way we would have gone any further in the champs league this year. Hopefully, this win is painful enough to spur the boys to lock down 2nd place in the prem and advance much further in the champs league next year and beyond. This needs to be a slow, deliberate, thought out process. A mix of talent, chemistry, will, heritage, hard work, luck and other intangible factors. Our run with Sir Alex was a special, rare, once in a very long time manifestation. As I think about how frustrating it is that Liverpool is still in it, we could have drawn them in the next round. Getting knocked out by them would have been far worse than this. We would have ended up with more than Carragher's spittle on our chin.

tomaldinho1

I think similar, he was surprised to lose last night but resigned to not winning it with this team anyway. He knows we could be embarrassed in a future round.

I doubt Woodward and the money men are happy though as this 'early' exit will have lost us a fortune. I expect we've made less in the CL this year than we did from the Europa run.
It also gives him more clout when trying to buy new players. Let's say we'd got through and maybe scraped into a semi, Woody might have been less keen to open his wallet up again. This way Mou can fall back on his age old excuse about how he's rebuilding the squad/the squad is not ready and ensure he gets his pick of top players.

Fitchett

How is the mood at the stadium towards Mourinho? Most still behind him or what do you think?
I think it's mixed Katie. They certainly don't like the defensive tactics, slow play, fielding players out of position and focusing more on stopping the opposition, rather than developing our own attacking game. On the other hand, the supporters who sit around me don't want another managerial change and the upheaval that brings. Part of our problem is that the squad is a mix of players signed by Ferguson, Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho. There are plenty of players there who aren't really wanted by Mourinho. But, he clearly isn't getting the best out of our players - Sanchez has already been dragged down to our level. Many people would be happy with Mourinho staying, if he takes the handbrake off the players, develops a decent attacking strategy and stops whinging in his press conferences. But plenty are concerned that he is yesterday's man and going downhill, in the manner of the likes of Clough and Wenger. Another issue is that there are no real outstanding candidates who we could appoint to replace him. The reaction from the crowd on Saturday will be interesting.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
The more I think about Mourino and his style of play, the more I think he needs to be paid off and disappear elsewhere. I know the team weaknesses is not all his fault but FFS he's had two years to sort out a midfield. All the time he has been here we have had a piss poor midfield resulting with far too few shots on goal. Look at most other teams in the leagues and you notice that they have more shots on goal and get people into the box. At first principle this state of affairs is at schoolboy level.
This team doesn’t have a striker, the last 15 minutes was misses after misses, the first goal from Sevilla was a mistake by a few players starting from valencia then the second goal was (young?) doing nothing and the goalie trying to tap the ball over the bar when he should punch the ball. Pogba....was he that player who constantly passed the ball to the Sevillian players? Besides a very few players none of them have the mentality to play in a CL match.

Manny

Grammar Police
It also gives him more clout when trying to buy new players. Let's say we'd got through and maybe scraped into a semi, Woody might have been less keen to open his wallet up again. This way Mou can fall back on his age old excuse about how he's rebuilding the squad/the squad is not ready and ensure he gets his pick of top players.
Its the opposite.

Ed isn't going to be more likely to spend money on manager who couldn't get past Sevilla in the RD16 at home. On other hand, if he got them into SF, Ed would be more willing to splurge us over the line.

Seriously, these stupid conspiracies need to stop.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
We would have been spanked because of Jose's tactics not because we haven't the players to at least give the top teams a game.
Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea have been able to give top teams a game in the CL this year.
Its amazing what a positive approach and philosophy can deliver.
Funny thing is that I don't believe we would be spanked by some top team. Jose would be in his territory than playing even more defensive and trying to nick it on the counter. Something like we played against Liverpool on Saturday. I don't say we would necessarily go through, but it wouldn't be some heavy beating like most people suggest.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
I think it's mixed Katie. They certainly don't like the defensive tactics, slow play, fielding players out of position and focusing more on stopping the opposition, rather than developing our own attacking game. On the other hand, the supporters who sit around me don't want another managerial change and the upheaval that brings. Part of our problem is that the squad is a mix of players signed by Ferguson, Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho. There are plenty of players there who aren't really wanted by Mourinho. But, he clearly isn't getting the best out of our players - Sanchez has already been dragged down to our level. Many people would be happy with Mourinho staying, if he takes the handbrake off the players, develops a decent attacking strategy and stops whinging in his press conferences. But plenty are concerned that he is yesterday's man and going downhill, in the manner of the likes of Clough and Wenger. Another issue is that there are no real outstanding candidates who we could appoint to replace him. The reaction from the crowd on Saturday will be interesting.
Sanches didn’t had a pre-season, Pogba realized he’s not as good he though he was, then some players aren’t United level at all besides the stiker issue.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Start supporting someone else then. He sorted out the midfield, he bought two players for hefty prices and brought through another one. He made a mistake, he also got many things right this season. Get over it. Not his fault Paul pogba doesnt perform a midfielder's duties or Sanchez who everyone and their dog wanted and were crying when he was thought to be going to city does not perform. Yes his team selection was wrong but you do not sack a manager for one mistake. Its stupid, if this was case Ferguson would have gone long long time ago. Get a grip.

Fitchett

My reaction has been totally different to previous exits. I've been mad for days about incidents such as Rafael's stupidity in getting red carded against Bayern Munich, the ref cheating us in sending off Nani against Real Madrid. Last night, I just gave up, I wasn't angry. For the first time in 55 years of watching United, I got up and left the ground before the end of a match (immediately after the second goal). I've just taken the view of if they can't be arsed to try and win a game, why should I be arsed when they lose. The players and manager get paid millions each year, I pay to watch them not try to score a goal until it's too late. All new territory for me - I have no idea how I will feel on Saturday.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I don't think that was worse. Even at our very best under Fergie we were quite capable of being beaten by a relegation contender if we had an off day and they played out of their skin. Especially away from home. Which is what happened against Huddersfield. In isolation, there wasn't anything worrying about that game.

The Sevilla thing was worse because it took place over 180 excruciating minutes and it was fairly obvious that for almost 170 of those minutes they posed zero threat of scoring a goal against us, because their striker put in as bad an individual performance as you're ever likely to see. Considering we were up against a team that's firing blanks and is known for having a crap defence, our lack of creativity and ambition was unprecedented in the season so far.
Ergh, I don't know. I think people are underestimating Sevilla. Don't win 18 of last 19 European knockout ties without getting something right as a club. We should have beaten them, but some are acting as if we were playing Sunderland. Southampton beat a goalless Liverpool over two legs last year and there was no last rites for Klopp.

I was far more disgusted with performances against Huddersfield where too many player just seemed to not want to be there, and Spurs where we were utterly outclassed. Last night was less atrocious and more just completely flat and uninspiring. We could have gone through with last night's performance, but we were completely beaten in those other two games.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
23 hours on and having watched it three times(and i'll probably watch it again tonight @ 00:00) i'm still numb, and I thought once the draw was made if we did go through it would be by an odd goal, God knows how those of you that thought it was only Sevilla, and we'd win Home and Away are feeling.

Vanya

Ergh, I don't know. I think people are underestimating Sevilla. Don't win 18 of last 19 European knockout ties without getting something right as a club. We should have beaten them, but some are acting as if we were playing Sunderland. Southampton beat a goalless Liverpool over two legs last year and there was no last rites for Klopp.

I was far more disgusted with performances against Huddersfield where too many player just seemed to not want to be there, and Spurs where we were utterly outclassed. Last night was less atrocious and more just completely flat and uninspiring. We could have gone through with last night's performance, but we were completely beaten in those other two games.
Its easier to digest when a team outplays you. Its more irritating when the opposing team is beatable, doesnt play well and still comfortably beats you. This was a knockout game not a league tie like huddersfield or spurs where you can pick yourself up and set things right in the next game, so you would expect the players to be up for such a crucial tie. Yet the entire team looked one dimensional, bereft of ideas and uninspired. Thats whats so infuriating.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
23 hours on and having watched it three times(and i'll probably watch it again tonight @ 00:00) i'm still numb, and I thought once the draw was made if we did go through it would be by an odd goal, God knows how those of you that thought it was only Sevilla, and we'd win Home and Away are feeling.
No wonder you're numb.:eek:

Trizy

First European night at Old Trafford, definitely one to forget.

Everyone was terrible apart from Lukaku who was working off feck all service (shocking..)

red_john

So its the night after and calmed down slightly but it still has me asking questions. I wonder if the players actually give a fu*k about loosing? Are the players angry? Did they actually think we could beat them? Did they realize they are not good enough to win the cup and give up? What are their honest feelings towards Jose etc? We will probably never find out the answer but it has me wondering if they care as much as fans.

RedElf

You sure like to torture yourself.

R'hllor

What’s wrong with that? I’d be more pissed off if I saw a video of Lingard and Pogba fecking about.
Because i dont give a flying feck for their bs on social media, pitch is the place, talk is cheap, just like Arsenal bunch.

World Game

I got chided last season for calling the EL a 17th place trophy in Europe after we beat top teams like Anderlecht, Celta Vigo and Ajax. But as expected from being the 17th best in Europe last season, this season we go out in the Round of 16.

tony54

Taking every defeat is a personal affront and expecting United to both deliver aesthetics and silverware each and every season is entitlement. We've got no divine right to it.

People seemingly forget basics such as only one English club being able to win the league each year and only one team in the entirety of Europe being able to win the Champions League each year. People also gloss over two of the aesthetically praised clubs of the moment, i.e. Spurs and Liverpool, having only one a single trophy each in the past 18 [EIGHTEEN] and 11 [ELEVEN] seasons respectively.

We're better placed than Arsenal and Chelsea for the seasons to come. We're almost certainly better placed than Spurs too given the lack of confidence in them keeping hold of their key men. I know it is uncomfortable to work with City colleagues and walk past fat bastard in City training coats in the street currently, but throwing the baby out with the bath water every season is not going to make success more likely or this more palatable.[/QU
Start supporting someone else then. He sorted out the midfield, he bought two players for hefty prices and brought through another one. He made a mistake, he also got many things right this season. Get over it. Not his fault Paul pogba doesnt perform a midfielder's duties or Sanchez who everyone and their dog wanted and were crying when he was thought to be going to city does not perform. Yes his team selection was wrong but you do not sack a manager for one mistake. Its stupid, if this was case Ferguson would have gone long long time ago. Get a grip.
One Mistake! You're joking. Apart from the first few games on his arrival we have been playing the same old negative rubbish. Where have you been for the last two years. It's apparent now that this is largely due to the man in charge.

Witchking

One Mistake! You're joking. Apart from the first few games on his arrival we have been playing the same old negative rubbish. Where have you been for the last two years. It's apparent now that this is largely due to the man in charge.
If I am not wrong, he was against lvg and was taking shite then about not supporting united and wanting united to lose matches till lvg is kicked out and here he is talking about jose's one mistake in two years.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 465 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 41% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Sevilla