CL L Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 1:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Tue, 13 March 2018

Hansa

One would hope so because what's been served up during much of the season isn't cutting it. Lumping the ball and being unable to impose our play on opponents isn't something I want to watch.
Says a lot when even the European media are joining in. The disdain and contempt for our attitude and lack of quality can't have gone unnoticed at the club.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Says a lot when even the European media are joining in. The disdain and contempt for our attitude and lack of quality can't have gone unnoticed at the club.
Of course the club knows and I'm sure they're not at ease with how the team plays and going out of the CL. It's still two months till the season ends and things can change quickly..

Since Montella took over in the end of December the team conceded 5 goals against three opponents (Betis, Eibar, Atletico). Earlier this season Real, Valencia and Spartak all won by big margins as well. Sevilla is occasionally playing well, but overall the team is not in a good spot. The defense is leaky as feck, while the team struggles to be efficiant in the final third. The strongest part of the team is the partnership of Banega and N'Zonzi in midfield; both can play fine football and are very elegant on the ball. The problem is that Correa, Sarabia, Muriel and el Mudo hardly do anything with the ball in the final third. Muriel works hard and is good on the ball, but comical bad infront of the goal. Correa lacks any end-product. Sarabia is Sevilla's lindgard (=motivated, works hard and moves a lot but limited). Vazquez lacks end-product, is very slow and takes way too much time to do anything. Lenglet had a great second game, but he was forced to make plenty of last-ditch efforts to stop United. Thats always the sign of a weak defence. If any team puts pressure on this back4, they'll make mistakes left, right and center. I have seen this sadly way too many times this season.

When Sevilla is allowed to play and enough players have a good day, the team is pretty decent, especially because Banega is a great player. Otherwise things can get ugly (like they already did 6-7 times this season).

United's game-plan and performance against this Sevilla team were atrocious. Its not even that you defended properly. You just relied on Sevilla's weakness in the final third who usually don't know what to do in this area of the pitch. More decisive players could have run havoc with all the space and time. Banega and N'Zonzi were allowed to play their game without much interference, while the defense wasn't really tested. United simply refused to build-up through the midfield. The players were hiding from the ball and struggled to keep/pass it under any pressure. Lukaku played well in the second match; the defenders bounced off him like little boys, but he had no-one to link-up with. It was extremely static. Too many players didn't do anything when not having the ball.

To me it looked like United was not interested in this match. They approached this game like a training match, which allowed Sevilla to cover their worst problems (everybody saw how freaking toothless this attack is). It was a very poor game for this stage of the champions league. United, while not being spectacular by any means, played way better in the past. Two decent performances would have been enough to win against this Sevilla side.For some reasons they didn't show up.

Good analysis here; I can't argue with it. I'm still angry about the performance; it was so toothless and devoid of creativity.

Fabian Keller

Normally the guys over at ESPNFC are unlistenable. But Burley was bang on about us.

Said this in the newbie section when a poster said he doesnt care if we get knocked out in the 1/4 or Semi, because we won't win anyway due to our 'weak squad'. Next month is going to be so very hard when we see Liverpool and City line up and go toe to toe with Barcelona and Madrid. Famous European Nights. Duking it out with the biggest clubs in the world. Those late stages of the champions league atmosphere. Something we have not experienced in a long long time.

That should be us. That is where we belong and that is what we have been DENIED

extremely bitter pill to swallow..

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Should buy Basel right winger Mohamed Elyanossu who had the beating of Danilo time after time even Guardiola mentioned him in the after game interviews
Yes he used to play for Molde I believe. Interesting player but there are lots of options to consider.

Klopp_De_Klown

never showed up.

Why did he return to a midfield one again? Like WTF we have seen it and seen it and seen it and we can't play it. It has to be 2 holding it makes us solid and not always be trying to squeeze in an extra attacker. It's a nonsense!

We had Matic in the engine and Jesse and Falafel trying to create and making it basically an attacking 5. Even the sound of it, sounds wrong and all it does is create no space to attack into and stupid as it sounds its easier pick up because everyone has a job and you drag in 1 as cover. We don't move well enough to overload the attack. So we need less targets ahead of the ball more people exploiting the space or running into it.

Talking about playing into a teams hands. Lukaku had the run on that defence if he got service and not just aimless hoofs and yet despite all this we missed 2 sitters inside the 6 yard box late on. Could of smashed and grabbed it.

Feck it all they can do is learn from it and win the FA cup! TBF there is not an awful lot of Champions League experience at the top level in that team. A good team would have beat us, bandy. SO it actually could be worse.

ti vu

Normally the guys over at ESPNFC are unlistenable. But Burley was bang on about us.

Said this in the newbie section when a poster said he doesnt care if we get knocked out in the 1/4 or Semi, because we won't win anyway due to our 'weak squad'. Next month is going to be so very hard when we see Liverpool and City line up and go toe to toe with Barcelona and Madrid. Famous European Nights. Duking it out with the biggest clubs in the world. Those late stages of the champions league atmosphere. Something we have not experienced in a long long time.

That should be us. That is where we belong and that is what we have been DENIED

extremely bitter pill to swallow..
We don't belong at all the way we're showing. Sure our ambition should be, but that's after we keep strengthening. Losing and especially in the manner we got sure left a disgusting feeling. However, it's naive to think losing out to the big teams, especially with potential of being humiliated, would be better. I still see people being bitter about the final against Barcelona at Wembley where it's not even debatable they were too good for us. Moyes survived Olympiacos just to be effortless dispatched by Bayern when they turned up the gear still made people angry about Welbeck's failed attempt to lob Neuer. This Bayern was latter spanked by Madrid. Bayern fan ain't very happy about the result despite they lost to a team with hindsight went on to win not just that year but 3 CL in 4 years. Losing is no fun regardless. Just try to get over it and hope for the better future where we can focus on winning, and not losing beautifully.

eat_grass

Roy Keane telling it like it is:

United played well first 10 minutes of the game, creating several half-chances. Unfortunately, they didn't get that small bit of luck to help cash them in, and then the players seemed to take their foot off the gas for some reason (I still don't understand why they revert to conservatism seemingly out of nowhere). That gave Sevilla all the confidence they needed to start controlling the game, which put United even more on the back foot, and eventually succumbed to two poorly defended goals.

I know people are crying about Fellaini starting over Pogba, but he was effective. He had the two clearest shots at target and was useful in defense.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I've been supportive of Jose but this match is unacceptable.

But I also place the blame on both him and the players. When you look at the two teams, one (United) is full of players that are better than the other. Even if your manager is average, let's say like Ronald Koeman, surely They'd still perform better than the opposing players simply because of the fact they are better and play at home? They are also getting paid fecking millions more.

It's unacceptable for players to take their foot off the gas (as stated by above post) and decided "meh, this isn't the day to perform". I could understand it if they are playing against better or equal teams or lesser team but in away match. To play like that in our own ground against lesser opposition in a game that matters a lot is also a mentality problem as much as a tactical problem.

The manager is to blame but with a squad of this quality, even if the manager is average the team should've won or at least performed better. Both are at fault for this loss. Embarrassing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

Swift Football

If we manage to not mess up top 4 position ,I want us to draw one of European heavyweights like Barca/Madrid in group stage next year.

(Deciding from our recent no midfield tactics, its not entirely impossible to finish 5th), Not being title winners, we will not be seeded by UEFA in next year's group drawings and I want us to draw one of European heavyweights like Barca/Madrid in group stage, and if we go through, it will be more likely as runner up in the group. Then it becomes very likely that we will be drawn against another heavyweights because of UEFA rules. Like Tottenham's group stage and Chelsea's round of 16 fixture. That way, we could at least see few matches against top sides which is the whole point of playing CL.

Fabian Keller

We were excellent until that Liverpool game. Looked so damn confident. Mourinho wearing that white shirt in the dugout looking motivated. Lukaku scoring for fun. Pogba assisting for fun. Matic being talked about as the signing of the season.

Came to Anfield, parked the bus. Laughed at..

Season has not been the same since. That was the game changer

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't think there's an excuse to be made for Jose's midfield selection or how he set up the attack. It was poor. But the players also let themselves down. I remember thinking that when the crowd got restless around 5 minutes before they scored, that it would make our players even more nervous, which it probably did, moments later Sevilla scored.

kitress

Of course the crowd got restless. What do you expect when we got less possession and less shots on target than f*cking Sevilla on the most important match of the season. AT HOME.

Mourinho lost a lot of his aura that night. The taste of that pathetic tactic will take a lot of work to cleanse.

eat_grass

Agree, some of the post match comments about Fellaini are embarrassing, he was replaced because he obviously wasn't fully fit, not because he wasn't contributing.
I'm thinking the way we treated the moaners and Mourinho haters after the Liverpool victory is partly to blame for their overreaction to everything about the Sevilla loss, so I'm a bit sympathetic. :lol:

But yeah, some of it is pretty embarrassing.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm thinking the way we treated the moaners and Mourinho haters after the Liverpool victory is partly to blame for their overreaction to everything about the Sevilla loss, so I'm a bit sympathetic. :lol:

But yeah, some of it is pretty embarrassing.
You may have a point :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Watched it again, it wasn't pretty, but we started to become shaky when the crowd got restless. It's maybe a matter of minutes between the crowd being unhappy and us conceding.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
And who’s to blame for the crowd getting restless/unhappy?
I'm not inferring that the supporters lost us the game. I think it says something about the mentality of the team in handling pressure.

Greck

I'm not inferring that the supporters lost us the game. I think it says something about the mentality of the team in handling pressure.
Not sure about that. If that was the case they wouldn't have mounted such a spirited effort to get back in it once we were 2 down. Things would have gotten progressively worse if they had a weak mentality

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not sure about that. If that was the case they wouldn't have mounted such a spirited effort to get back in it once we were 2 down. Things would have gotten progressively worse if they had a weak mentality
I'm sure there are varying degrees of a weak mentality, it's not just 100% focus or no bottle. I think at the time before conceding, the crowd was restless, they were passing the ball at the back between the centre backs and affected by the crowd, started making poor decisions. Once they are 2-0 up you are playing for your pride pretty much. It's often been a sign of our teams that once they go down they respond, which of course indicates a valuable resilience, but in that spell I think they rushed their decisions and underestimated the opponent.

Greck

I'm sure there are varying degrees of a weak mentality, it's not just 100% focus or no bottle. I think at the time before conceding, the crowd was restless, they were passing the ball at the back between the centre backs and affected by the crowd, started making poor decisions. Once they are 2-0 up you are playing for your pride pretty much. It's often been a sign of our teams that once they go down they respond, which of course indicates a valuable resilience, but in that spell I think they rushed their decisions and underestimated the opponent.
So you reckon our guys might not be strong when the task is to take initiative but might be better when fighting from behind? It's possible but that's a hard sell. The mark of mental strength has always been one's will to fight from an adverse position. At 2 down they were more than fighting for pride, they were still fighting to qualify. I think our tactical setup was 100% responsible for the poor showing. The players we had on the pitch that day were no mental midgets.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@Greck
I'm not trying to absolve Mourinho from blame. It was a poor showing from the players and it was a strange lineup to field, especially with two immobile players in midfield and Rashford out of position on the right wing. Regardless of how one defines mental strength and the varying manifestations of it, I do think the players responded quite badly to the crowd getting restless.

NFM

Seville almost beat Barca last weekend, theynarrowly lost to Bayern, but are still in the tie.
About time United fans stopped being disrespectful to a very good big/cup team. They are probably on a par with United at the moment in these sort of games. It was not a sort of disgrace to lose to them. i wish we hadn't but for goodness sake, it happens, its a cup tie.

RedorDead21

Seville almost beat Barca last weekend, theynarrowly lost to Bayern, but are still in the tie.
About time United fans stopped being disrespectful to a very good big/cup team. They are probably on a par with United at the moment in these sort of games. It was not a sort of disgrace to lose to them. i wish we hadn't but for goodness sake, it happens, its a cup tie.
More the non performance over both legs really and especially the performances at OT in a must win game. They didn't appear to give a sh*t. I'd be more worried if they did give a sh*t and thats the best they could collectively muster if I'm honest......

dirkey

They had nothing to lose at that point. The pressure was essentially off. When the pressure was on, with the game tied, they folded.

dirkey

They lost at home to a Bayern side who had the ball a lot more and more shots. Bayern are going to beat them by 3 at home at least I'd say. Seville aren't a good side, not when it comes to CL football.

I think the big problem is not the fact we lost. It's the manner. I've defended Jose enough times, but he sent out the team in such a negative way, at home, against one of the poorest teams left in the competition. That's simply not good enough.

Kapardin

They lost at home to a Bayern side who had the ball a lot more and more shots. Bayern are going to beat them by 3 at home at least I'd say. Seville aren't a good side, not when it comes to CL football.

I think the big problem is not the fact we lost. It's the manner. I've defended Jose enough times, but he sent out the team in such a negative way, at home, against one of the poorest teams left in the competition. That's simply not good enough.
2nd para sums it up. Still boiling tbh, I can't get over our exit.

el3mel

Why the hell is this thread up again ? It took me enough time to forget the shock of this game. Want to erase it from my memory completely.

Let this game die please.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 465 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 41% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla