EL D Europa League Quarter-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 2:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Thu, 13 April 2023

Todd

You don't need to be a doctor to take one look at Licha's reaction on the touchline and know that we're not seeing him again this season.

We're really gonna see what this squad are made of in the coming weeks.

I’m loving my life

They were extraordinarily lucky to draw that

We should hopefully dispatch them next week but need a reshuffle and to solve the no Martinez issue - he has been pivotal

killerboi2

Our Europa league days will be over with Erik. Just treat the matches as a bit of a laugh. The Harry Maguire memes just got some new content.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Still can't quite believe that just happened. The tie, not just the game, should've been over by half time. Lamella should've been off for the studs into Case too. Any complacency that crept in should've been sorted out by Erik at half time but it just got worse. Then those subs. Tonight is certainly not Erik's finest hour.

cj_sparky

Largely comfortable, especially in the first half, when we could have finished them off and although not as good in the second still created a few decent chances. Whilst we lacked an urgency in the second half overall, the 20-25 minutes towards the end was really poor. Sevilla coming away with a 2-2 draw is still mental, they offered nothing.

Malacia had a mere for most of the night and his part in their 1st goal was awful. I love his tenacity, but he is one of a few players who are so physically weak.

Also feels like the over reliance on certain players in the squad and not rotating is coming back to haunt us. Shaw, Varane, Martinez and Rashford all injured.

El Presidente

Where was I suicidal? I'm just echoing what most people are thinking about our chances away because of so many players missing
I didn't see anyone else suggest the season is over, no. Especially, since we compete for two more trophies.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ten Hag blew it with the subs, but Malacia's abysmal brain-fart led to the 1st and we just capitulated after that.

This team is still mentally weak at times.

I’m loving my life

I think the ‘lost control’ narrative is a bit over the top. There’s a lot of bad luck in there and we went down to ten ffs.
Exactly
The internet has skewed and corrupted actual perceptions of what happens in football games.

That was an extremely unlucky draw

Cpt Negative

We get fecked every season with injuries, this is just another season where we lose half the team and end up falling away.

Shaw, Varane, Martinez, Rashford, Garnacho, McTominay plus martialand Eriksen returning after months and months out.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
No Rashford, Bruno or Martinez for certain. Likely no Shaw or Varane either. These feckers knocking us out again would be horrific.

atkar83

You don't need to be a doctor to take one look at Licha's reaction on the touchline and know that we're not seeing him again this season.

We're really gonna see what this squad are made of in the coming weeks.
Varane had the same reaction, if not worse and his was a few week hamstring. Obviously the WC upcoming made a difference, but I'm hoping for some good news here

stevoc

Sevilla weren't creating anything. We still seemed the most likely to score. Should have made it 3-0 with the Malacia chance.
And yet they've scored 2 goals tonught as can happen in any game against any team. Just because a team haven't been creating doesnt mean you can assume its impossible for them to score and feck the game off by changing half the team.

If we get the 3rd the game and the tie is basically put to bed. But our subs took away almost all of our attacking threat and gave them the impetus to have a go. Plus the stupid subs left us without the ability to replace Martinez.

Poor game management from ETH. Make a sub or two but not 4 subs 10 minutes into the 2nd half. Ridiculous decision.

always_hoping

Missing chances for 3-0, both centerbacks getting injured so we finish with 10, two own goals to bottle what should've been a comfortable win... Hate to see it.

We'll win it next week anyway. But annoying as feck.
Next week in hostile atmosphere will be extremely difficult to win especially ifs its a United defence that will be without Shaw, Varane and Martinez the latter probably gone for the season.

I couldn't support a team like them. They make Barcelona look fair and honest.

Anyway, we comfortably outplayed them until the subs.

Bondi77

It is a shit competition anyway.
Time to focus on what really matters and that is the games played in the Premier league and the best domestic Cup competition in world football

lex talionis

A freak result, but the draw would have been avoided had our finishing been more clinical. Malacia in particular had a mare on both ends of the pitch. We'll put these fukks away, but the injury to Martinez is a bitter blow.

But no, our season is not finished.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
For those saying we'll beat them in the 2nd leg. You do realize we'll be without Licha, Fernandes, Rashford, Varane (most probably), Shaw (most probably)?

DDG

Awb Maguire Lindelof Malacia
Casemiro Eriksen
Antony Martial (60 mins) Sancho

Once Martial goes off and WW comes on, that team is getting nothing in Spain.

Prodigy24

Can't remember another team having this much bad luck. Seems like it's just a normal thing for United. Lichas injury really destroyed the mood for the rest of this season. The result, combined with the injuries and suspension to Bruno pretty much mean that our season in Europe is over because I can't see us winning against these bastards in Spain.

What a brutal night.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
For those saying we'll beat them in the 2nd leg. You do realize we'll be without Licha, Fernandes, Rashford, Varane (most probably), Shaw (most probably)?

DDG

Casemiro Eriksen

Well, I think that team is capable of going into extra time and then our quality bench will come into action. If this fails, we have DDG weapon for the penalty shootout:wenger:.

Verminator

DDG

Casemiro Eriksen

Especially starting with 10 men.

MyBloodIsRed

What the feck were we doing making those subs with the match at 2-0.... I'd rather play a weaker team at Forest Sat then what we did tonight. We took Sevilla for granted and they punished us. We didn't deserve to win after that.

Licha looks gone for rest of the year. No Bruno next week, no Rashy... Was Varane injured? hope it was a precaution and he's back for the match next thursday

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They will beat us comfortably in Seville I reckon as they are much stronger at home and we are far worse away from home which will be even more emphasized with all the injuries so I don’t expect it to be much of a contest. We should have put the tie to bed today but were just so wasteful.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

DDG

Casemiro Eriksen

Stick Fred or Sabitzer in and that side will do damage.

Reckon we still go through.

Fooza

Unpopular opinion: Getting knocked out the Europa league will be a blessing. It's just far too many extra games with two legs, travelling etc hate this competition with a passion.

Top 4 and FA cup is a priority as FA cup is only 2 games

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
They will beat us comfortably in Seville I reckon as they are much stronger at home and we are far worse away from home which will be even more emphasized with all the injuries so I don’t expect it to be much of a contest. We should have put the tie to bed today but were just so wasteful.
Might turn out to be a blessing in disguise with all the injuries. Just concentrate on the top four.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I see that people STILL underestimate Sevilla.
They are bad in league but here they are playing for CL next season. Of course that they will play much better than in their league. Plus new manager effect.

James35

Perspective is fine but that won’t stop us struggling in the next leg (so think we will lose, maybe even on penalties) and potentially having to play our calamitous CB partnership for numerous games to come, including an FA cup semi final against a team that scores for fun. Let’s hope Varane is only precautionary or short term and we can then play Shaw next to him (whenever he also comes back). I’d actually rather Malacia who I don’t rate, play every match instead of bloody Maguire.

Bruno sub cost us mostly tonight though in my opinion, EtH had bit of a mare. Anytime he comes off or doesn’t play we look half the team attacking wise - his rest would be next week. Also Sancho didn’t look tired he just looked poor, still bringing on Elanga is like bringing on some random person from the crowd. Maguire is just a useless big lump although he was slightly unlucky with the deflection and speaking of big lumps…Wout Weghorst, lord he is just utter shite!

I would not be surprised if our season implodes (trophy chasing wise) after these injuries - Rashford included. Martial certainly needs to stay fit, if he doesnt…That’s it, man. Game over, man! Game over!

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 203 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla
  • 14% Man Utd 2:1 Sevilla