EL D Europa League Quarter-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 2:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Thu, 13 April 2023

always_hoping

Can be thankful away goals no longer count in Europe. Any chance that Rashford plays the return leg?

Ten Hag did not rule out the possible return of Marcus Rashford from an apparent groin strain in the return leg: "There is a chance but I can’t confirm it in this moment."

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well that was diabolical. Was thinking for most of the 2nd half that it'll be a pity we're only coming away with a 2-0.

Judging the whole of the match I think Antony had possibly his best game where he was a bit less predictable and the only thing I could fault him for is the same as Bruno in having a short fuse and being liable to getting booked (or even sent off) in European games, given how sensitive these affairs can be and that we were playing the cuntiest team in Europe (I really do despise Sevilla, and there was plenty of evidence tonight for just why).

Great to see Sabitzer get a couple of goals and he made clever runs and his first touch was what helped him score. Martial in those first 25-30 minutes looked a class above. We know he oozes talent, it's always been about hunger, and of late, fitness.

Malacia looked dodgy throughout and he got me thinking of Alvaro Fernandez for next season. This was a Telles level performance without the crosses.

I thought ETH had gotten away with taking off both Bruno and Martial (the latter surely needs his minutes managed) but apparently not, and we'll be facing a pumped up Sevilla next Thursday with nothing else to play for all season than this one match. Feck.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think if the injuries are bad we will have a reasonably arduos task to finish top 4 with the fixtures.

the amount of games is starting to show in terms of fatigue and injuries.

think the championship analogy is a bit harsh but we are just bang average past first choice in most positions and there are still gaps in our ‘best 11’ without several of them being injured/suspended.
Agreed. Which is a real shame because there isn’t much of the season left for us to hold on for a top four finish. The cups mean less to me at this stage. Seeing United back in the CL would be immense

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Extra time on Thursday in Seville, before Brighton at Wembley on the Sunday, anyone?

Finishing with an attack of Weghorst, Pellistri and Elanga got the level of respect from the gods of fortune as one might expect. Sheer complacency.
I'd take a loss to Brighton in exchange for getting to the Europa semi right now.

Can only see us bottling it in a huge night for the home side. Such a bad result tonight.

Stig

Terrible luck. Thought we played well.
Is this serious ? We played well for 25 minutes.

I would go with this summary.

Feck me what an appalling last 60 mins of that game.

We got complacent and lazy. Thought it was tie over. They got lucky with the goals but we allowed them into dangerous situations with a lack of intensity, awful passing and no desire to crush Sevilla in this tie.

Stig

Cam someone explain why elanga is being used?
Hi edgecutter,

No. I can't explain to you why Elanga is used. I can only think ETH thought the came was won, so playing utter tripe maybe saved a player and put him in the shop window.

Judas

Open to offers
Pure shite. Punished for being wasteful once again. The tie should have been beyond buried by the 60ish minutes, if not before then.

It's disappointing to see us still in this situations, but I'm sure in time it'll improve.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
A mix between infuriating missed chances to finish the tie off as well as cursed look. The ref was dreadful, Seville should have been down to ten men and Bruno’s yellow card ffs, which forced ETH to sub him. (Surely a candidate for overturning, obvious mistake?)
All in all only our selfs to blame for those missed chances.

Stig

Three parts of absolute shit today, ref, united and sevilla.

So many players from our side that was absolute wank after 40 mins.
A ref who quite easily have given Antony a red card, twice, but didn't. Are you counting that as part of his poor performance ?

Rams

Hi edgecutter,

No. I can't explain to you why Elanga is used. I can only think ETH thought the came was won, so playing utter tripe maybe saved a player and put him in the shop window.
ETH explained exactly why he was forced to make the substitutions.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
God, I hate playing Sevilla so much. Ultimate voodoo team

glasgow 21

The vibes are not good for me, might as well accept the outcome doesn't look great. both our main centre backs out with Shaw, Bruno and Rashford out. We loosen the screw and didnt finish them off in the first half. We have been unlucky but you always need luck to get through cup games. They had their cup overflowing with luck tonight. Bruno yellow was a disgrace. Casemiro would have been sent off if he had done that on a Sevilla player. Ten Hag even lost the plot with poor subs tonight ( my first negative on him). We have handed them the momentum.

Tragically Hip

Antony needs to lose the tough guy routine; he is so easily goaded into confrontations.

AndyMUFC

Not a great night, just as much for the injuries as much as the giving away a two goal lead against an average Sevilla. Didn't kill off the game but also didn't get much luck either.

It does seem like every key player is geting injured or suspended at the wrong time though. We get Casemiro and Eriksen back but we then lose Rashford and Martinez. Varane injured again and Bruno suspended for the second leg.

Rams

Antony needs to lose the tough guy routine; he is so easily goaded into confrontations.
Antony, the ‘one trick pony’, was our most dangerous player tonight and he puts a shift in. He eventually let his emotions get the better of him tonight and hopefully he’ll learn from that. But I think he gets a raw deal from the media and punters alike, I think he brings a certain balance to the team, does his defensive shift and he has the ability to create something. He’ll be much better next season I predict, having a full season in the EPL under his belt.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Referee started well and as soon as he thought it could be a cricket score he turned into sevillas star man. Bought every dive and piece of play acting after that, booked Bruno for feck all too.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Incredibly bad luck, innit?? Two one in a million own goals, Anthony hittin’ the post on a fantastic shot, massive own caused injury to Lisandro, down to ten men defending without our most important centerhalf . . . and the drama queenery goes speshit. We’ll eliminate these twunts in Spain. It’ll be glorious

Cantonagotmehere

Antony, the ‘one trick pony’, was our most dangerous player tonight and he puts a shift in. He eventually let his emotions get the better of him tonight and hopefully he’ll learn from that. But I think he gets a raw deal from the media and punters alike, I think he brings a certain balance to the team, does his defensive shift and he has the ability to create something. He’ll be much better next season I predict, having a full season in the EPL under his belt.
Totally agree. Him and Sabitzer were great. I like his attitude, too many snowflakes on this team last 10 years.

Strelok

I went to sleep after the wholesale subs. How the feck we let them scored two :confused:

RuudTom83

At half-time…great!

At full-time…what a total disaster!

But you can’t not love football, it’s never predicted! Real shame seeing Licha in pain, and some bad luck with the 2 goals.

Patch them up and see who is fit for the weekend! The end to the season is going to be very scruffy.

cyril C

Well that was diabolical. Was thinking for most of the 2nd half that it'll be a pity we're only coming away with a 2-0.

Judging the whole of the match I think Antony had possibly his best game where he was a bit less predictable and the only thing I could fault him for is the same as Bruno in having a short fuse and being liable to getting booked (or even sent off) in European games, given how sensitive these affairs can be and that we were playing the cuntiest team in Europe (I really do despise Sevilla, and there was plenty of evidence tonight for just why).

Great to see Sabitzer get a couple of goals and he made clever runs and his first touch was what helped him score. Martial in those first 25-30 minutes looked a class above. We know he oozes talent, it's always been about hunger, and of late, fitness.

Malacia looked dodgy throughout and he got me thinking of Alvaro Fernandez for next season. This was a Telles level performance without the crosses.

I thought ETH had gotten away with taking off both Bruno and Martial (the latter surely needs his minutes managed) but apparently not, and we'll be facing a pumped up Sevilla next Thursday with nothing else to play for all season than this one match. Feck.
Agree on all except the last point. Seveilla is near relegation zone, with a new manager middle of season you know why. They are like Birmingham, should we participate Champions League while playing in 2nd division?

cyril C

I went to sleep after the wholesale subs. How the feck we let them scored two :confused:
Because the team, in particular Malacia, went into sleep mode as well. He has been shitty whole game, forget about basic football of safety first being defender. Worst part if sudden change of fortune causing Martinez injury. I won't say he will not pick up injury next game, but he should be able to avoid tonight, at least for another few days.

Strelok

Because the team, in particular Malacia, went into sleep mode as well. He has been shitty whole game, forget about basic football of safety first being defender. Worst part if sudden change of fortune causing Martinez injury. I won't say he will not pick up injury next game, but he should be able to avoid tonight, at least for another few days.
Thanks I just watched the highlights and they only show the two goals nothing else so I had no idea how the match was going.

Agree Malacia was bad yesterday Sevilla were targeting his side the whole game. Anyway tbf their two goals were incredibly lucky. And we were not with the chances we created. Another day we should have won 4-0. That's football. What a shame Licha got injured though hope nothing serious.

Oranges038

Almost total domination first half and like Everton the game should have been put to bed by half time.

Second half was a shit show.

Subs were weird, just seemed to suck all the shape and movement out of the forwards and runners from midfield.

Think I might be done with Sancho, lad is just a zombie out there off the ball, offers nothing defensively and on the ball his decision making is just baffling.

In the end got over run by a shithousing team that had an insane amount of luck for 2 goals. Utd finishing the game with 10 and watching them cnuts Montiel and Acuna decide to start playing football, as well as being dominated by those two City pensioners in the closing stages was sickening. At least Lamela didn't score, there is always that.

Peelhead

Harsh to blame the manager, if he doesn't make changes people would be on here complaining he's not resting players with so many games coming up. Everyone knows the squad isn't good enough but we still should of had enough to see out the game we were in complete control of even with the subs coming on
That's spot on imo, we've got a lot of us asking ETH to be more active with his subs.

I wasn't aware of Ale G's injury being that serious until tonight so that's a downer.

We'd better see them digging deep over this next few weeks.

moodyred

Elanga should not even be on the bench. He is not united quality.
Time and again, Maguire shows us he is unreliable as a CB. We need to replace him. I don't care if he becomes world class in another club. He is a disaster in ours.

Martial

Considering how Bruno is volatile, do you really think it would be worth it
Has he even received a single red card with us before? And the first yellow was wrongly given.

Strange comment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No Bruno, Rashford, Shaw, Varane or Licha for the 2nd leg? We are big underdogs.
Away at Seville in this competition without 5 key starters will be difficult. But Martinez out for a long time would be disastrous. The drop off to the replacements is too big.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Incredibly bad luck, innit?? Two one in a million own goals, Anthony hittin’ the post on a fantastic shot, massive own caused injury to Lisandro, down to ten men defending without our most important centerhalf . . . and the drama queenery goes speshit. We’ll eliminate these twunts in Spain. It’ll be glorious
Barca had bad luck against United too, far bigger injuries in the second leg against united much like united will have against Sevilla.

sevilla are brutal in la liga, it’s anyone’s tie

croadyman

Nightmare last 10 minutes to say the least,combination of lacking concentration and that horrible injury to Martinez

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
For the goal from Malacia's mistake, wouldn't De Gea have shouted to leave or clear? I'm wondering what he shouted if anything.

RopersReturn

We appeared to lose control towards the end of the first half and completely lost control by the second.
It had the same feeling of when we’ve been hammered against Liverpool, over run in the midfield and our goal being peppered with shots, with DDG and the defenders in panic mode we were lucky to get a point.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 203 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla
  • 14% Man Utd 2:1 Sevilla