PL D FA Premier League

Sheffield United 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 November 2019

mu4c_20le

We’re Manchester United for Christ’s sake! We should have the best coaches in the world.

The excuses for Ole are getting more and more ridiculous. He’s been in the job nearly a year now, the excuses need to stop!
They beat Arsenal, nearly held out Liverpool, and drew both Chelsea and Spurs. They are a very good, well drilled team. It's down to more than just the manager, but the player personalities as well.

Jericholyte2

I can guaranteed, when we went 3-2 up, we’re all saying go for four, but also saying we could get caught on the counter with that shocking midfield.

Any manager would have done the same, even the nightly Klopp and Pep.

It didn’t work out this time.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can guaranteed, when we went 3-2 up, we’re all saying go for four, but also saying we could get caught on the counter with that shocking midfield.

Rashford seemingly doesn’t agree.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

No chance in hell either of those managers would voluntarily concede control of a game.

They'd make the change if/when they actually came under pressure... Which is why you generally see that sort of sub happen in stoppage time.

SteveW

100% correct.

Big Andy

Bloke
That match day thread was an embarrassment. People hoping we’d concede more to get Ole sacked. Support the team and the manager, until he’s no longer the manager.
Spoiled bastards. Take the rough with the smooth.

Was it good enough? No it wasn’t. But feck me some people need to have a word

SteveW

No chance in hell either of those managers would voluntarily concede control of a game.

They'd make the change if/when they actually came under pressure... Which is why you generally see that sort of sub happen in stoppage time.
Winning away from home you think they'd keep 4 up top with Lingard and Fred as the entire midfield? That's preposterous. Not a chance.

UpWithRivers

Im sorry but its excuses after excuses after excuses. It was Oles fault plain and simple. The formation was totally wrong. Literally everyone can agree on that no? And the choice of players was totally wrong. Yes excuses that he was short of midfielders but Fred and Periera. Common. That's a stupid rookie mistake on top of the formation. He said in the interview that he felt Sheffield Utd wanted it more. That's an insult to the players. I'm sick of them getting all the blame. Yes sometimes maybe a lot of the times its their fault and maybe they are not good enough. But common give them a fighting chance. Then Ole gets praised for turning things around. He literally just throws players on. This was no managerial masterstroke. He fks up and then realizes its not working after 70 mins then throws caution to the wind and attacks more. A 7 year old manager would do this. Sometimes it works. Its not clever its lucky. Try get it right the first time then you can praise managerial genius. Then he tried tighten it up the last few mins with Tuanzebe. Yes again a 7 year old would try this. Sometimes it works. But the thing is Tuanzebe was sort of thrust into a unnatural position. Like when he was right back and gave the goal away. He was all over the place. CB? CM? That's not managerial genius. If you want to stop the game then you put a natural DM and sit him in front of the back 4 or you figure out their biggest threat - wingers? Tell your RB and LB to sit deep etc. Point is it was just a managerial decision without any true understanding of the game. Yes like a 7 year old.
He literally is a YTS apprentice learning the trade. Including the coaches. That's literally what it is. Schoolboy management.
And before the give him time, 1999 brigade starts slaughtering me. I really want Ole to do well. Everyone does. But you have to say it as you see it.

MichaelRed

Friend just sent me this, don't know if there's anything to it or if anyone else knows something more?

Cpt Negative

That match day thread was an embarrassment. People hoping we’d concede more to get Ole sacked. Support the team and the manager, until he’s no longer the manager.
Spoiled bastards. Take the rough with the smooth.

Was it good enough? No it wasn’t. But feck me some people need to have a word
Be careful with such logical pal. If you don’t evidence it by highlighting all the examples you’re providing straw man arguments

Pjisared

Zoo

Got no right to be frustrated after that performance but it cannot be helped. Firstly the system change didn’t work against a Sheffield United system that is well honed and fluid. Secondly if Ole is going to play a back 3 then surely play Maguire as the left CB like he has for England, he excels at bringing the ball out. Finally Ole subbing on Axel was understandable but a few minutes too early, the team had momentum and were more likely to score a fourth at that point.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Winning away from home you think they'd keep 4 up top with Lingard and Fred as the entire midfield? That's preposterous. Not a chance.
You think Pep... A man who is all about control... Would make a substitution that takes away your control of the game and invite the opposition to attack? Definitely not a chance.

What you do is you keep going and when you actually start getting attacked/come under pressure, you make the change. You don't just invite them onto you... Especially when you're still causing them problems.

Pjisared

We surrendered the initiative back to Sheffield and as soon as our defenders come under pressure panic sets in.

roseguy64

We started the game with 3 at the back, got completely outplayed. Switched formation, made a couple of substitutions and we were winning. Ole then decides to switch back to playing 3 at the back and we swiftly conceded.

Masterclass.
I must have missed Tuanzebe playing as a DM then. My eyes clearly need work.

Shimo

Argh. That half time change should have been made in the first half. Ole tried to go with a system based on the players available, it wasn't working. Even if he didn't want to bring Lingard on earlier, he could have pushed Jones into midfield because no one was comfortable in the new formation. He even talked about Jones having played in midfield pre-match. It's those such obvious mistakes that give me little faith in Ole as the manager on game day.

Do think we were the better team through out the second half. The 2nd goal was Perreira feck up but, we started well and eventually our change in formation allowed to get at them more. I even told my mate, 3-2 soon as they scored. Was confident.

VAR can go do one. Yes, red-tinted glasses on and tin-foil hat is truly fastned on but, that 3rd goal of theirs, if that's Liverpool, it gets chalked off.

Jericholyte2

No, they would have done it to gain control and see the game out.

roseguy64

Come on..... handball against Sheff Utd? The guy practically placed himself into a Kimura lock just to avoid the contact with the ball and his arm. No logical person could possibly conclude that it's a fair handball decision. The goal stood, rightly so.
Doesn't matter if he tried to avoid it or not. Once it touches the arm it's supposed to be ruled out if it leads to a goal. If he was the defender in that situation then your comment applies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
A lot of people complaining about their third goal.

There was no way VAR could have overturned the original decision due to video evidence being inconclusive. There is no way anyone could have watched those replays and been absolutely certain the ball made contact with his arm. The goal has to stand in that scenario.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
There’s one two posts down from me from Pennywise.

Rather than support a club legend, everyone jumping down his throat every bad game.

he’s cleared out all the shite everyone was crying for last season.

Valencia, Fellaini, Herrera, Sanchez, Smalling, Lukaku, all bar one got slated for the last few season.

he’s sticking to the ethics this club was founded on - but it’s ok because Dave on the caf can’t handle that we don’t win a trophy every season so we will call him out.

match going fans are a credit to the club, get behind the players and the manager, perhaps the Caf should do the same.

remeber being 4-0 down to MK dons in the league cup under LVG. Proper fans turned up that day, that’s how you support a club, not stick the knife in the very chance
Bizarre take. Since all of them improve us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Doesn't matter if he tried to avoid it or not. Once it touches the arm it's supposed to be ruled out if it leads to a goal. If he was the defender in that situation then your comment applies.
Didn't City have a goal disallowed because the ball hit Laporte on the arm in the build up?

Owngoalscorer

Should just close Redcafé despite the makeover - it's embarrassing.
Most posters on this thread are lower than dog turds.
I'll probably pick up a warning for this post when a lot of you fukkers on here should just be banned

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Woeful for the first 70 minutes. Inexcusably bad. Ole only has himself to blame with going with that midfield of Fred and Pereira. Pereira should never play midfield, that should have been well established by now.

A phenomenal 7 minute spell where the youngsters showed their fearlessness only for Martial to be taken off and it go back to as before.

Ole has done a useful job in getting rid of some players and promoting some youngsters, but it's time for someone who knows what he's doing as a manager.

SteveW

You think Pep... A man who is all about control... Would make a substitution that takes away your control of the game and invite the opposition to attack? Definitely not a chance.

What you do is you keep going and when you actually start getting attacked/come under pressure, you make the change. You don't just invite them onto you... Especially when you're still causing them problems.
We were playing with 4 forwards in front of Lingard and Fred. That was wide open and asking for trouble. When you are winning you stop the game from being as wide open and end to end as it was at that moment. Bringing on a 3rd midfielder should have allowed us to keep the ball and have more control of the game not less. It's what literally any manager would have done. Peps teams keep the ball in those situations. They don't leave the midfield empty and hope for the best.

We still had 3 pacey forwards on the pitch. You'd think we'd dropped all 11 to the edge of our box the way people are talking. A more experienced group of players gets hold of the ball and sees the game out.

AlwaysRed66

I agree with Souness. The manager should be more concerned about the first seventy minutes, not reminiscing about how well we did the last twenty. If it wasn't for two inexperienced 18 year olds, we would have lost.

bdecuc

To be fair it’s not often we come back from 2 nil down away from home. I think that’s progress. No problem with taking off an attacker and bringing on a defender in those circumstances.

I thought that was a foul on Jones. More a barge than shoulder to shoulder.

No problem with the handball but it could have been chalked off and I guess it’s just our luck at the moment.

I think we’d be a half decent team with Pogba and McTominay in there.

mu4c_20le

Decisions are only right if they work.
Worked for Jose in securing 2nd. He was a master at defending one goal leads. In any case, the time between the sub and their goal was five minutes, if we couldn't hold on for five minutes then there is a bigger problem than the manager.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Says it all...
That's what everybody is saying. Momentum was lost the moment we decided to see the game out. Ole said that sometimes it is beyond the tactics and yet he made a shit tactical decision. If he just let the game go on I'm convinced we'd have scored 4th goal as they collapsed.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How awkward is that hey? Sitting next to the most successful pair in Manchester Uniteds history and trying to convince them that everything is ok because we’ve recently signed LEGO

DickDastardly

A lot of people complaining about their third goal.

There was no way VAR could have overturned the original decision due to video evidence being inconclusive. There is no way anyone could have watched those replays and been absolutely certain the ball made contact with his arm. The goal has to stand in that scenario.
Anyone with common knowledge of human anatomy that has played football once in his life could be absolutely certain that that was a hand ball.

Sure, it touched his pectoralis and his deltoid muscle, but the only way he brought it down on his right foot volley is because he controlled it with his biceps.

You can't control a football with your shoulder. You sure as hell can't bring it down on your volley.

So the answer is simple. They could have been certain, and they should have been.

But they failed.

Why?

Well now, that is the question of the VAR itself.

Human error. Only digitalized and slowed down. But still prone to errors.

Gasolin

That's what everybody is saying. Momentum was lost the moment we decided to see the game out. Ole said that sometimes it is beyond the tactics and yet he made a shit tactical decision. If he just let the game go on I'm convinced we'd have scored 4th goal as they collapsed.
You don't know that...

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 314 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Sheffield Utd 1:2 Man Utd