g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Sheffield United 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 17 December 2020

stu_1992

Got the win we needed. I'm glad for it too because after that early goal conceded I thought it would be one of those days. We did well to come back from an especially poor first 25 mins to lead at half time. Second half we by far the better team for the majority and the goal was well deserved and very well worked (just like all our goals today).

The late goal was blow though, and it was way too easy for them to score that. Looked like we had never heard of defending set pieces. Not as much of a shocked as the first but still. A blow for the goal difference for sure. Did it take a few days ouch off a Sheffield player before going out though? Looks like it might have and that made it all the more annoying.

tomaldinho1

Big quality difference on show there. As usual we concede first, roar back into contention only to make it hard at the end. Classic United under Ole. 3 points in the bag, the league is tight, roll on a huuuuuuuuge next game!

stevoc

Great effort from Sheffield they really put United under pressure early on. But Sheffield choosing to play such a high line against a United side with so much pace was naive to say the least. United are one of the best counter attacking teams in Europe and Sheffield just couldn't live with it. Had Sheffield dropped deep after their goal they could have caused real problems for a United side that has trouble against teams who employ a low block.

VivaRonaldo85

Huge win given the league results this week. Outstanding to win 6 on the bounce away from home. Some improved home form AND crucially some improved defending and we could be a shock for many. Our defending though is still bang average.

dal

Can someone make the Ole wilder incident sticky somehow I don’t want to miss it :lol:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Course you can, Lindelöf was shite all game, got beaten for the header for their second and there was absolutely 0 need for Maguire, Lindelöf and Henderson to be playing it around between themselves for the first goal. Henderson and Lindelöf were garbage today.
Lindelöf won that header, it was freak luck it bounced off of McGoldrick.

ManRed

You cant blame Harry at all cor that. Glad Henderson saw out the game. Was more confident at corners (even though we conceded from one)
It was more Harry than Henderson. He was so close to the keeper and then took the ball in such a body shape that only pass available was back to the keeper. Henderson is to blame too but its more Harry for me.

MonkeysMagic

Losing goals from non-threatening corners is our speciality, whilst at the other end, cracking corners is an inconvenience! Win very welcome but should have been so straight forward, trust this team to always make the easy very difficult!

James_42

Should have been a comfortable 2nd half and we found a way to let them back in.

Lindelof is a decent defender but he is so weak in the air, since we're not going to replace Maguire anytime soon we need another CB.

Okey

And breathe... Phew! That wasn't good for the heart. 3-1 would have flattered Sheffield United, and suddenly we're hanging on at the death?! Anyway, take the 3 points and run. Not much else to say really.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I just want a big mean CB that is good in the air. That and a goalkeeper with some aerial dominance. I can't take our set piece defending anymore
It's doing my head in how we look like shitting the bed every set piece.

As someone who has wanted to see Henderson play more...that is a bump to earth a little.

It happens, it did with De Gea at first...but you feel that might take some building back from for him.

Happy with us going forward tonight, but shakey going the other way

NJM78

If I'm Ole I'm straight on the blower to Ed and demanding a CB in January. Lindelof and Maguire are like Smalling and Jones mk 2.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We need to bury more chances, we’ve gotten better at creating but crikey put it in the net.

Morpheus 7

Good performance but terrible mistakes again. That cb partnership will win nothin. Needs changed longer-term. 3 points but made hard work of that.

DON’T PANIC ™

As soon as Bruno is subbed we concede possession and territory to the opposition. Happens every single time.
We are a one man team.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Decent performance overall. Some glims of brilliance, some glims of absolute horrible defending.. As expected, really.

Pogba should stay here.. fits really well since he is good and awful all in the same 90 minutes. He loses the ball way to much, and unlike Bruno, he does it in extremely dangerous positions.

Bangalla

Our attack is class. They can score goals out of nothing against anyone. Our defense is the other way around. Any team can score against us any time. You never feel sure when we're winning and also the other way around, if we're down 0-3, it always feels as if we have a shot at at least a draw.

RedDevilRoshi

2 stupid goals to concede particularly the 1st one which I felt was going to be one of those miserable nights. Credit to the lads, they bounced back well and scored 3 very good goals, particularly the 3rd one.

Got the result we needed but our defence is still a big worry. Also our slow start when it looks like our players are still asleep and not ready to begin.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Fans criticising us are probably repeating what fans of other teams are saying. Most of the teams at the top end are having problems.

Sweet Square

Stupid mistake at the start but we responded well and played some great stuff.

Shame about the 2nd Sheffield goal but it happens. Overall a good win.

Foxbatt

Course you can, Lindelöf was shite all game, got beaten for the header for their second and there was absolutely 0 need for Maguire, Lindelöf and Henderson to be playing it around between themselves for the first goal. Henderson and Lindelöf were garbage today.
First, Maguire has to be more wider. Pogba and Lindelof and Matic was pointing at Maguire. He has no business passing it back to Hendo, and put him under pressure. Yes Hendo should also have kicked it up field. For the second there is nothing much Lindelof can do about that once it reached him at that height. Maguire who was in front of him should have headed it before it reached Lindelof. When Lindelof headed the ball it rebounded off the head of the Sheffield United player.
Lindelof had a good game.

Farfetched

I think we took the proverbial foot off the pedal when it became too easy. Which is a great shame as a bigger win margin would have taken us a place higher in the league. I am not sure how we are to fix the sloppyness at the back with the current set up; there has to be a change somewhere as coming from behind only works against poor teams but as our champions league exit showed it’s not great strategy against a good team.

Oldtraffordboy

Positives
- 3 points
- great forward play,
- Telles solid
- great assists for Pogba and lindlehof

Negatives
- pathetic from hendo and Lindlehof for the goals
- VDB was awful when he came on
- Ole not resting Bruno earlier when we were coasting. Although maybe he knew we'd start crumbling.

Giggs' right foot

Can’t believe we’re already seven points better off now than this time last season. Bruno really is a treasure.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We need to stop wasting more chances than the Star Wars franchise have had to not mess things up.

Since I dont believe that the match tactics are: "Start slow and cautious and let them into the game", it's on the players to come out flying. They didn't, again. They HAVE done it this season, but certainly not today.

Between Minute 20 and 88 though it was just going one way. It's a match you leave dissapointed you dont put 6 in the net. But for once we've finally done something we haven't really done before: Taken an opportunity.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
You know I almost believed that second half would peter out without anything really happening. Weird game, thankfully Sheffield United pretty shite and Bruno and Pogba are pretty good.

Foxbatt

You cant blame Harry at all cor that. Glad Henderson saw out the game. Was more confident at corners (even though we conceded from one)
Why not? Maguire was at the wrong position and it was wrong of him to pass it back to Hendo and put the keeper under pressure. As a defender he should know his position is much wider than he was.

We should stop fannying around the back at the early part of the game.

Collet

5 points off the top with a game and DDG in hand. This looks good!

Resch

So much potential and so fragile. Ole has to find a way to start a match, dominate and control it, or he has to got. We needed 30 min. to start our game and started to swim after a late goal. A shame for so much good football

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Fans criticising us are probably repeating what fans of other teams are saying. Most of the teams at the top end are having problems.
That's true.
Glad to get the 3 points. We only have Leeds to worry about next :nervous:

NJM78

I was hoping VdB would be on earlier but glad he wasn't... looked like he'd drank a bottle of vodka dry and then got hit over the head with it.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 72% of 309 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 295 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw