PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 27 January 2021

Betson

Hard to put into words how pathetic that was , City put a bit of pressure on and we fold like a cheap deck chair.

We deserved nothing out of that , complete bottle job and a real dose of reality to those who think there is a title challenge in this team.

We have been getting away it a lot of the season , but over a full season teams like ours will always get found out.

Rio said at HT this will tell what this Utd team are really made of , unfortunately we found out.

MonkeysMagic

If any Utd fan had kidded themselves that a limited manager like Ole can sustain a title challenge will have their answer tonight. When you cannot fallback on team football than hoping for individual performances to bail you out will show up like tonight's game.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Bottlers gone bottle. Simple. Team and manager consistently fail in big moments.

Pathetic tonight, absolutely pathetic. Barely even a whimper. Could only score from a set pieve against what might be the worst team in Premier League history.

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
What could Pellistri, Diallo even Lingard do more worse than Martial at the moment? Seriously?

Do they have kind of a voting between the coaching team to do a sub? That would at least explain why it takes ages to react.

Jam

Remember when Derby were the worst Prem team ever? I'm sure that season they got their first away goal of the season against us and that was about in January.

Albeit we did win, but y'know.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Home loss to one of the worst teams in PL history.

I've not seen Tuanzebe have a good game yet, and Telles' outings started decent but seem to have gotten worse and worse. It's like he gets slower every game.

Subs far too late, again.

Sick of the sight of Martial now. Lazy. Static. Loses the ball and just stands there moaning. Why did Greenwood come off and not him?

always_hoping

Embarrassing defeat woeful defending on both goals conceded. Didn't work the Sheffield United keeper enough so can't complain about the result.

Top of the table was good while it lasted but the objective of this season was always a top 4 finish and continue to play like tonight they won't achieve that objective

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I fear dropping out of the top 4 this season now. Another bad result against Arsenal and confidence will be through the floor.

Solskjaer’s game management is some of the worst I have ever seen. I hope to God we don’t offer him a new contract.

Manny

Grammar Police
Martial and Rashford were nothing short of shocking. Strutting about like they were going to walk the game.

AWB showed again how fecking pointless he is going forwards.

TheMitz

Too many bad performances to mention, Ole included in that.

No urgency whatsoever

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Not a single player on this team deserves to feel good about that. Everyone were bad, the team was terrible.

How you go 13 games without incident, to this, is beyod me.

That being said: I absolutely HATE playing games in heavy rain, it affects the technical quality of the game so much.

Still in a title race, just.

Martial needs some sportsmental coaching, because this is not normal.

Ekeke

Course correction / Defensive weaknesses being exposed. I do think we were unlucky to have a goal chalked off for Maguire's "foul" when the first Sheffield goal was a more blatant foul with more contact. So could have been 2-2 easily. But still.

Too reliant on Bruno Fernandes as a match winner. He has some games where he isnt very good and in those matches we need other players who can win us the points because most of the time its him.

Rashford, Martial and Pogba needed to come up trumps and make something happen today. Cavani or Van De Beek off the bench were further options for finding a match winner. Collectively not good enough

CM

Disaster. They rode their luck big time with the deflected goal and the goal they got vs the one we had disallowed but the performance wasn't remotely close close to good enough to win that game.

Have to beat Arsenal on the weekend

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Got to respond v Arsenal. Drop points there and we're totally out of the title race, as slim a chance as it always was.

We'll know for certain just how damning that result will be later in the season. But, no word of a lie, that's as bad as I've seen us since Fergie left.

You cannot begin to understate how terrible SU have been this season. And they were supposed to be up against a rejuvinated Utd team, on their first title charge in years, just off the back of a glorious win v Liverpool in the cup.... and that's what we serve up.

Just wow.

Banana Republic

Rashford has one really good performance and one half and half ( half good, half total shite) and then he returns to form tonight. Rubbish.
As a team, we are nowhere near good enough to challenge for titles with this sort of performance.

Let’s be honest, we’ve been scraping wins and riding our luck far too often, as well as benefitting from other top teams having a stuttering season.
It was never going to be sustainable, unless taking poll position had filled us with confidence and fired us up into a hungry winning team.
It obviously hasn’t.

It’s going to be a battle for a top 4 spot, not a title challenging run from now on.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Most of the blame should be placed on Ole for this result. The lineup clearly took Sheff Utd for granted and just expected us to turn up and win.

Why play Tuanzebe in his first league game against a team so desperate for a win. Just start Lindelof. Shaw has been our best defender this season, why rest him with an eye on Saturday. Just play the team that is in front of you first ffs. Matic is slow and clearly being played for Fred and McTominay to start on Saturday. Play Fred first half instead and McTominay second half if going to give them some rest.

Martial should never play for the club again after this season. We are 2nd and been challenging for top spot all season and he has been a hindrance more than a help. Would have been where we are now in the league without him anyway. Absolutely shocking this season.

If I had to pick our worst player of this season it is clearly him. He has been disgraceful all season.

90 + 5min

This is what you get when you go on pitch thinking you already won. I hope they have learned the lesson. Poor, poor display. Nothing more.

Rashford, Tuanzebe, DeGea, Martial should be ashamed.

Crimson King

I just can't believe how atrocious that was. I can take not winning a game, but it's really hard to take a performance like that.

These guys are paid to do this. I know you can't really compare, but if I turned up to work and just performed in such a nonchalant manner they'd tell me not to bother coming back, and my P45 would be in the post.

So frustrated. Fed up of being Banter FC.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Disgraceful performance. Complacent from the start. As bad a passing display as I can remember.

mufc20a

Supports
always united
Embarrassing that Sheffield have scored 33% of their goals this season against us.

But it was still problems at the other side of the pitch that maybe frustrate me more. I have no idea how Ole did take of Matial rather than Greenwood. Not only was Martial once again not showing anything, it would have allowed Rashford to stay out on the left.

No use of subs at appropriate times has cost us big. Ole and the staff need to learn, it is obvious.

KomodoBadger

This is fecking insulting.

The fact that we lost to Sheffield fecking United.

Who are bottom of the feckING table.

Ole should be fired.

The Glazers and Woodward really do need to be tried for crimes against football.

I don’t ever give ratings, but the whole team tonight will get a 1. What a fecking embarrassing way to throw away the title.

Damn my optimism.

It wasn’t even optimism, we should have beaten them easily.

We probably will have broken yet another unwanted record.

Losing against a time who had only gained 5 games from their past 18 games is absolutely DISGUSTING.

Trip721

Running out the same guys, week in and week out, they look tired, Ole has no confidence in his bench.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Rashford, Martial and Greenwood just don't do enough. Both in terms of goal or general play.

I've said before that if we persist in picking Rashford and Martial as our first choice attackers we won't win anything-needless to say I got a lot of abuse.
Rashford will play a blinder one week and then play crap for the next 5+ matches.

Siorac

Manchester United and Sheffield United have exactly the same chance of winning the Premier League this season.

There was no way we'd keep getting away with it throughout the season. If every single game is a closely contested slog, some of them will go against you. At times you need to be able to get a comfortable 3-0 to be in contention for serious things. It's a top 4 battle for us, again.

Devil may care

I was looking forward to seeing a few goals and a good performance, instead we produce that unmitigated sack of ass sweat, worst performance of the season from us, we made a bunch of medioce bums managed by Compo who are going to be relegated look like George Graham's Arsenal, and to top it off I had to listen to that twat Sutton performing verbal felatio on Jaghielka all game.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
I can't believe we started so well and just went downhill. The first few minutes we completely dominated.

I dont undertand why Ole destabilized the defense with this stupid selection, Tuanzebe and Telles were appalling to say the least.

Our "strikers" Martial and Rashford, nothing to say really, so disappointing both of them, those stupid triangle passes that they can't even manage to work out properly, terrible decision making, not enough runs, no flair up front, didn't even bother to shoot or create some space for themselves to shoot.

It was just so annoying to wait for the 70th minute for us to draw against a team that has 5 points, bottom of the league, destined for relegation. Put the idea of challenging for the league/top4 or whatever aside, we COULD NOT WIN AGAINST A TEAM THAT GATHERED 5 POINTS prior to this game, the players should be ashamed.

Nr.7

I had a feeling we will drop points today, but I didn’t expect us to be so embarrassing.
Pathetic really.
The referees in the PL are fcking atrocious.
I can’t stand teams that play like Sheffield and I can’t wait to see them go down.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Performances like this let variance feck you in the arse.

Resch

No plan to break down a parking bus.... Ole just not good enough... Martial still on after 90 minutes is some sort of a really bad joke.

Pjisared

Shame on you Ole, far to late with your subs.
The worst two players on the pitch were still on at the end, Rushford and Martial were absolute crap.

Riz

I think the best compliment I can give anyone is that Pogba was average.

It’s the same issues which we’ve struggled with for weeks now in terms of our attack looks really blunt. I don’t think there was any period of the whole match where we looked likely to score.

RORY65

There's going to be a lot of quite reductive talk about us being bottlers but the reality is it's only the spirit and character of this team that has kept this run going, we've been scraping results without ever looking convincing for much of the season and if you keep relying on that then it's going to cost you at times.

As an attack we're still very reliant on moments of magic (Pogba produced them to earn 1 goal wins against 2 of the bottom six in recent weeks), set plays and counter attacks and we have dropped off so much defensively from where we were last season when we didn't feel like a great defensive side but didn't concede many, we now feel like a poor defensive side who concede quite a lot.

The reality before the season is I felt that the maximum potential of this team was top 4 and so we're still in a very good position and we're not out of the title race by any means, although days today feel like big chances wasted as the weird nature of this season has opened up an opportunity for us that I'm not sure will be there for us for a while once things go back to normal.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 368 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 Sheffield Utd
  • 23% Man Utd 2:0 Sheffield Utd