PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 January 2015

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Top 4 suddenly looking a lot more doubtful.
I see that Blackett has been identified as the scapegoat.
But big money signings Di Maria and Shaw were poor.
Rooney, and even Carrick mediocre.

This is a tough one. No obvious quick fixes. Even bringing the fabled Herrera on to the pitch didn't magically improve things as promised.

pseudo_canadian

Yeah, that was pretty terrible.

Louis has such a large ego that he will never drop this formation. fecking figure it out FFS.

And the team just clearly lacks any sort of cohesion. Which is fecking bizarre.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Puts a top 4 place in real doubt. Needs to turn around immediately or we'll fall away with our tough fixtures in March and April.

Raw

This is the first time that I'm really pissed off at LVG. We had all our players back and STILL we persist with 352.

What an abomination of a game.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
That Blackett substitution was completely unnecessary and he ended up losing his man for the goal.

If Blind can play 90 mins after barely playing for 2 months then why can't Shaw.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Shockingly bad. No shots on target wasn't it? Didn't really create a clear chance until well after an hour. Awful. Yes, the service from wide areas was horrific until Blind went to left wing back but its more than that. Di Maria was totally unable to influence the game from up front and we lost his drive from midfield playing him there. On midfield, 3-5-2 leaves us far too light in that area. We can't get our players playing off one another and that forces them to go wide more, which leaves us depending on the wing backs for every attack. Nothing is going through midfield to the centre forwards. Its all very predictable and one paced. Van Gaal is a clever man, he should be able to see why the team is so f'd.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Playing Di Maria up top.. just NO! He has never produced the kind of numbers that would justify such a move. I know we are desperate for pace upfront and if he really wants a pacy striker then maybe he should not have sold Welbeck.

Man-United

I don't trust LvG with a transfer budget. He should stick with what he's got and think about the money he spent last summer.

justboy68

Smash and grab. Yet we deserved it for how utterly toothless we were going forward. Southampton did absolutely nothing all game, yet somehow with all of the ball we didn't do any more.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Having Rooney, RVP, Di Maria and Mata on the field and can't even shoot on goal and in the end playing like Moyes to Fellaini, long feckin balls... That's not Manchester United.

I want my Manchester United back.

Smores

And least now our manager gives good press conferences and talks in a cool accent.

That's what matters after all

Kostur

海尔的老板
That Blackett substitution was completely unnecessary and he ended up losing his man for the goal.

If Blind can play 90 mins after barely playing for 2 months then why can't Shaw.
Yea and this was just the start of fecking idiotic subs, it was a one big what the actual feck show.

Ainu

Words can't describe how disgusted I am. Again the same shit tactic that has seen us produce nothing but absolutely horrendous football, playing our best players in each other's positions and baffling subs. What the feck is Van Gaal thinking? He's looking more clueless than Moyes at the moment and that takes some doing.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The terrible football is starting to take the piss. Too many backward passes and nobody making runs. Really really shit and it was down to van Gaal today.

lysglimt

Scout
Getting tired of LvG now - to spend so much money with this result ? Imagine the stick Moyes took - but we are just as bad now as we were under Moyes.

jem

For me, all the blame goes to LVG. We finally have a healthy squad, and he persists in playing a formation that, for me at least, has only been acceptable when we've been hamstrung by injuries. Our best striker was in the midfield, and our best midfielder was playing as a striker. Baffling to say the least. Unless there was a reason for Falcao not being in the squad, then that is also baffling.

Van Gaal needs to have a long, hard look at himself in the mirror. I like his confidence, but he needs to accept that he was out-coached today.

Jev

I don't understand the point of Juan Mata.

Unless the game is going perfectly for us, he's invisible.

When he's not, like today, he doesn't fecking hit the target 3 times.
He was hit and miss but still orchestrated some of our best attacking plays.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Useless.

That looked every bit an OT performance from last season. Form has taken a nosedive over the last five games and we're in a dogfight for the top four once more when we should have basically consolidated third place by now.

Players out of position, disgraceful final ball and tactically outclassed by Koeman. What a miserable day.

Raw

Here's a funny stat, Moyes had the same amount of points at this stage last season as we do now.

Red Comet

Before the knee jerks floods this thread completely...

Am I concerned about our run of poor form in the new year? Yes.

Am I concerned about the style of play? Yes

Am I going to lose it? No. We are still in good position to finish with CL qualification this year, as was the target that most of us have at the start of the season.

Southampton came with a clear plan, and they executed it to perfection.

If any of Di Maria's touches was better in the 1st half, and Mata actually finished some of the chances on his plate, it would be a different outcome.

Today's match was just one of those days.

WyoManU

No shots on target at Old Trafford in a big match for a CL spot. Pretty shameful. Lots of blame to go around. Finally starting to doubt LVG and his philosophy. He has a reputation of being great tactically, and yet we rarely win the tactical battles in our matches. We create nothing and as I have said over and over, even though we have a good defensive record on paper we always look like conceding. DDG has bailed us out so much in the past to flatter our goals against numbers. Won't bother evaluating the players. No need. This is a team sport and we are dead average as a squad.

izec

Needs to drop some players, there are many players knowing that they are undroppable. Change formation too

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thoughts:

1. We were poor.
2. 352 sucks but is a consequence of our unbalanced squad.
3. We're a long way off where we want to be, some recent results flattered us.
4. Some of the comments in the match thread were beyond stupid.
5. I don't get why people are complaining about our possession based approach. This has always been LVG's approach, what did you expect when he was hired?

mancan92

Today Southampton were absolutely ridiculous defensively not a single mistake the whole match. A near perfect match which we would have needed to play near perfect to win but we didnt. We played decently and were solid defensively but we needed to be great and honestly I feel like this formation is holding us back heavily.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
0 saves from either keeper right?

It's cowardly from LVG more than anything else. And stupid, given how limited Southampton are going forward. Played right into their hands, entirely lost the 'tactical battle'.

Hopefully it's a good thing, the 3-5-2 can't be gone soon enough. We're United. Not this boring, defensive, conservative sack of sh*t.

Deserved to lose at St. Mary's, probably deserved a draw today.

jem

On the balance of play we were much the better side, the final ball really, really let us down today.
I don't think so. We had plenty of non-threatening possession, and I don't think we managed a shot. We were awful and deserved to lose.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
All that possession, and just couldn't muster one decent ball. I thought the players were all fine up until their final third.
3-5-2 needs to stop. We don't have the players for it.

Valencia was my MOTM. Only positive from today is that it looks as if he's found his sprint again

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
What a shit game, only 1 shot on target in the whole match by both teams combined. Not a single shot was saved by any of the goal keepers, actually just one shot needed to be saved in the whole match. All this points to some bad planning and execution.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Fair play to Southampton, very good performance from them. We were terrible. Zero shots on target at home, was it? That's shocking.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Credit to Southampton, they played very well today and had their tactics worked very well.

Bit bemused at United over the past month, looked secure enough in defence but our attack can barely get a shot on target. Well I say i'm bemused... i'm not really, it was obvious in the Summer we needed a quality winger, should have gone for Cuadrado.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 501 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton
  • 17% Man Utd 3:1 Southampton