PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Fri, 19 August 2016

luke511

"Manchester United have never lost a Premier League game at Old Trafford when leading at half-time."

I'm very surprised that record has survived through our last 3 years :lol:

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
Got back from the game about a hour ago and all I can say is Wow, the atmosphere, attitude and confidence. Fans, players and Manchester United!!

Theonas

Scout
Maybe you have your point, mate and I respect your opinon, but I could not care less about possession when I am as excited as this when we get forward. We had some terrific chances on the counter, Martial gets us on fire with the ball at his feet when there is space. I cannot see what Mata adds to our team at the moment and would definitely use Mikki instead of him and I also think that Rooney slows as down but you know what, who am I to question the greatest manager in the world atm. I have the utmost confidence in our manager and he knows what he is doing big time. I am counting the minutes to our next game and reliving our last game and I am a 32 year old family guy. I have not felt like that for a very very long time!!!
Fair enough! Long may it continue :)

ZDwyr

Really enjoyable match. I felt that we were in control for most of the match, despite a few chances for them. Still have some things to improve obviously but to see everyone contribute and put in a solid performance was excellent. It was good to see Shaw improve from the Bournemouth game and Valencia continue his good form. Fellaini and Pogba also played well, and you would think that will improve as they come to better understand each other's game. Zlatan deadly.

Feel a little sorry for Rashford. I'm desperate for him to get some minutes. It will happen but I guess we just have to be patient until the fixtures start piling up. Mkhi was good in his cameo. Looked superb technically, wouldn't mind him starting next match.

Jacko21

I don't want to see us conceding possession and sitting deep to anyone at OT, especially mid table teams. That was the fear for me with Mourinho and I hope it won't be proven right in the next few months.
Agreed. I don't think the supporters inside Old Trafford were expecting that either, particularly given the occasion. They seemed underwhelmed.

Supporters (who've been served sterile football for three years) are going to have a hard to mustering the enthusiasm to generate an atmosphere when they see their side absorbing pressure and not taking the game to the opponent. Old Trafford thrives on football played on the front foot.

Mourinho can't ask for the help of the supporters without first giving them something to work with.

All in good time I suspect.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Also had 6 points at the same stage.
Yeah, we beat Villa and Spurs 1-0 with about 3 shots between both games... We didn't beat Southampton at home since Fergie, and even then we struggled when pochettino just took over. The Bournemouth game was a classic away game that we struggled in under Van Gaal. It's a big difference from the start.

3KDré

"Manchester United have never lost a Premier League game at Old Trafford when leading at half-time."

Probably because we very rarely scored, let alone at half time!

Utd7

Was my first match at OT. Incredible atmosphere and experience. Hope this performance at home is a sign of things to come this season.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Such an athletic team. I was very impressed with Pogba. I thought he played better tonight than any match in the Euros.

manunajted

- I thought Paul Pogba put in the best performance from a United midfielder probably since before he left...and that's despite the fact he spent about 90% of the game not in midfield

- Fellaini has gone two whole games without infuriating me OR trying to get sent off. It's amazing what happens to players when they actuallly have a clue what their role is in the team

- Fair enough Zlatan with the goals...the first one was class, but he did kind of spend the entire game being Andy Carrol. He definitely passed the ball to Southampton more than he did to his team mates.

- When we didn't have the ball I thought we looked really flakey. We sat off really deep, but somehow there was stilll loads of space around and INSIDE our penalty area. It was bizarre. Probably will take some time for our players to get used to being positionally organised but definnitely an area we need to improve on quickly, and a lot.

- When we had the ball, apart from our forward players being extremely wasteful, we were fine.

- Overall, thought the first half was a bit dire, the second was pretty good. It had a routine feel about it, and we showed signs of being able to pick off and really punish teams once we get ahead in games. It took about 4 months for us to win a game routinely last season. We've done it twice in two games this, without even looking llike we're playing that well. Again, amazing the difference it makes when the team has a cllue what the feck it's supposed to be doing.

- Valencia takes throw ins like a girl.

- I don't like this Friday night Football nonsense on Sky. It was like watching SoccerAid or Children in Need.
Lmfao. Andy Carroll.

I agree he did have an "off-game", but as a person who has followed Zlatan for over 10 years, I can say this; when he's game, there is only one player who can dominates as much as him, and that's Messi.

The guy scored 2 goals and should have had an assist to Martial, how many players in the world can have a off-day and still perform like that? not many.

Andrew~

Rather surprised with the tone this thread has taken actually. It was a good win in the end, but I didnt think it was a great performance. The team lacked a little intensity and let Southampton have a lot of the ball - surprised me a bit because this was the first home game of the season, with a few debuts as well.

It was a decent performance though, and there is a lot to look forward to when everything clicks.

Scarr

This game was even more refreshing than the last one. I loved the attacking football tonight. Old Trafford was bouncing. Everything seems to be back to normal. I have not enjoyed a game like that in a long time. It was great to see such an animated Mourinho the sidelines, it's a welcomed change.

The players seem like a real unit. Jose has done so much in such a short time and they already look like a Mourinho side. Everyone has hit the ground running and this could be crucial in pulling away from the rest of the pack early on. He has pulled off a masterstroke by itself with what he's done with Fellaini. Flawless once again. Valencia is now the player he should have been years ago. He's improved in every aspect of his game, it's crazy how good he has become. Bailly is the real deal and will hopefully be bossing our defence for years to come. He really does have everything and is currently working well alongside Blind and hopefully it's the same with Smalling. Zlatan is just bossing it, a freak of nature and can easily reach 20 league goals this season. Pogba looked really good on what looked like an emotional night for him. He is a machine. To play the full 90 minutes after a long summer at the Euros, then 4 weeks off and not even looked fazed physically is unbelievable. We've got ourselves a superstar in our team again! Going to be well worth the cash. I critised Martial a lot in the first half but just like in the previous game he improved immensely in the second half. Rooney was meh. Mkhitaryan looked good from what we seen of him but he's got to start soon, hopefully before the break.

I'm feeling so good about this season and I'm buzzing at the thought of our next game. We haven't even got out of first gear yet and it makes everything so much more exciting. There's still a lot of room for improvement of course but with it being the best start to a season we've had with a new manager in nearly 80 years I'm having nothing but optimism. What a season we are in for lads and lassies!!

ravi2

It's so good to go into matches now not dreading slow zombie like play a likely loss
Long live Jose!

Shimo

Why? We rarely scored in the first half to actually lead and throw it away.

For the game - my, that was a lot of fun to watch - had a smile most through the game. Actually think everyone was very good except maybe Rooney, Martial that were good. DDG didn't have anything to do. Still think either one of Mata or Rooney have to give way so we can get a second pacey player up front to compliment Martial.

Can't wait for next game.

surf

Am loving Valencia and Shaw marauding up and down the touchline. Such beasts physically. They are going to dominate opposition wide players. We could be back to the old days where the full backs play high and the centre backs are relied on to hold the fort at the back, which they are well capable of doing.

ghagua

Good game. Really enjoyed it after so long. Still plenty of work to do and we will face tougher oppositions. Mkhitaryan needs to start, either for Rooney or Mata. He showed his class in the cameo role he had.

beergod

- Fellaini has gone two whole games without infuriating me OR trying to get sent off. It's amazing what happens to players when they actuallly have a clue what their role is in the team

- When we didn't have the ball I thought we looked really flakey. We sat off really deep, but somehow there was stilll loads of space around and INSIDE our penalty area. It was bizarre. Probably will take some time for our players to get used to being positionally organised but definnitely an area we need to improve on quickly, and a lot.
Jose must have given Fellaini a brain transplant or some really good drugs.

Neither Pogba nor Fellaini is the type to sit and cover the back four. They both played well, but there was a ton of space that a better side will exploit.

I thought it would take Jose longer to deprogram us from the philosophy.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I just got back from the game (and couple of hours in a bar) and i really have to say "That was only one match but i haven't seen such a positive atmosphere with strong confidence on and off the pitch since Ferguson has left the club" :devil:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Enjoyed that, good win, great to see a United midfield with energy again.Energy and forward momentum which in the main was supplied by Pogba.
I know it's early days but he looked awesome, providing the power and drive we haven't seen seen the days of Roy Keane.
I agree that we gave the Saints far too many opportunities, a better side would have scored against us tonight.
I was impressed by Mkitharian when he came on, also by Bailly, Shaw, Zlatan and Martial.
Better days lie ahead.

Todd

This team and this system really look the business.

Really no complaints thus far, but I do want to see Smalling come in for Blind, and Henrik start in place of Mata.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This team and this system really look the business.

Really no complaints thus far, but I do want to see Smalling come in for Blind, and Henrik start in place of Mata.
Blind is playing brilliantly.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Long time seens i've felt more optimistic. So many players that have stepped up to a level one has to expect at a club like United. Fellaini and Valencia as the best examples. Mourinho has done wonders with both of them. Mata aswell shows how solid he is when he has players in front of him. Stunning vision, passing and technique.

Zlatan and Pogba. What to say? I had hopes Zlatan would do okey, but did not expect something like this. 2 games, 3 goals in the PL. Might that go on all season. Pogba looked like he never left the PL, even tho he had a rough first 5 minutes. The size, strength and technique he has is special. So big, yet to flawless in the way he is on the ball.

CANT WAIT for the next game. We are building something special. I can feel it.

luke511

Why? We rarely scored in the first half to actually lead and throw it away.

For the game - my, that was a lot of fun to watch - had a smile most through the game. Actually think everyone was very good except maybe Rooney, Martial that were good. DDG didn't have anything to do. Still think either one of Mata or Rooney have to give way so we can get a second pacey player up front to compliment Martial.

Can't wait for next game.
That was a thing mostly associated with last season, there have been two more yano.

3KDré

Jose must have given Fellaini a brain transplant or some really good drugs.

Neither Pogba nor Fellaini is the type to sit and cover the back four. They both played well, but there was a ton of space that a better side will exploit.

I thought it would take Jose longer to deprogram us from the philosophy.
It will. There are still periods where we are still under the curse of the Van Gaal. It's only been two games so it is to be expected.

Siorac

We're clearly a work in progress but there's no sign of the cluelessness and insecurity that plagued us under Van Gaal. As Mourinho said: good enough.

CS@SG

I am happy with the win, but not happy with the way they play.

It is at Old Trafford, but I saw Southamptom bringing the ball too us, at our own half, again and again, again. For a long period in 2nd half, they were dominating the match, while we just sat deep. Why are we not dominating them? Bring the to them, attack and attack in their own half. I do think the home fans deserve better.

The defense has been defending vert narrowly, when the opponent is in possession in our half, all 4 of the defense will basically station in the box, leaving the wide men to or wingers.

BahamaRed

Legend
Everyone talking about the last 3 years of mediocrity (by our standard) but really its been the last 5 years. I know we won the league in Fergie's last year but we all know we weren't at our best and the team was decaying. Watching our game today I was taken back to those years when I looked forward to every game and didn't want to miss a minute of them. We have such power and strength in the team now and I must say I've got that lovin feeling again.....roll on next Saturday. Finally, we are to be reckoned with once again.

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
That was a good all around performance. Fellaini was busy sticking his feet in and winning tackles; he looked a physical presence. But I'm not taking back the things said about him, yet. Pogba had a good first game back I thought. He handled the pressure and showed what he is capable of. First game back and he seems to have settled in full of confidence. Ibrahimovich was himself; two goals and he hardly had to do very much. Give him the ball in the right spot and he'll score. We missed someone like that for a long time. Valencia has been phenomenal, so far playing two roles, reminds me of Cafu (in the sense that he's like having an extra man on the field). I admit to not being convinced with him but since he's shed the #7 he seems to be getting back to his old self again. Bailly is looking solid, tough, good ball skills. It's just positive all round. Even Rooney had an okay game; he got an assist. As long as he keeps feeding Ibra then my pitch fork will stay in the barn.

And isn't it refreshing to see a manager up on his feet yelling at the players, going through the motions and the emotions? Remember Giggs standing up for the last 5 minutes and flapping his arms about then holding his chin? Seems like such a long time ago.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
That was highly entertaining. It was like watching the united of old again, where you just don't want the match to end because of how good we were. Pogba just makes football look so fecking easy.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Whats most pleasing for me is that there is a gradual improvement with each match. Even within this match -- the fluidity was exponential from 1st half to 2nd half.

But what has been very obviously is the verticality of our play. One-two paces and we are in the opponent's half. This has been very consistent from the very first pre-season match.

Gause

Good performance, we looked tidy most of the time. Pogba injected that fluidity and energy in midfield it makes me not actually care about Schweini anymore. Havent used to this zonal marking, feels like we leave so much open space around our box. Its true that Dave didnt have much to do but Soton actually got the ball in dangerous area a couple of times. But overall our defensive line was tight I almost forgot Blind was on the pitch.

Wouldve loved to see some Rashford action in this game, Zlatan looked a bit knackered around the last ten minutes.

Last edited:

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 988 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton