PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Fri, 19 August 2016

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Think a few of you are going a little overboard.

Yes, we always looked like we'd win, but we should've shown more impetuous as the home team. Didn't give the crowd anything to get enthused about - or indeed anyone watching at home.

Measured, controlled performance that is probably indicative of a post-tournament, early-season game.

Pogba looked a class above, as expected. Ibrahimovic is going to score goals.

I'd question the place of Rooney and Mata in the team. If you're going to concede possession and soak up pressure, then it'd help to have the pace in which to counter attack. Only showed moments of fluidity.

All in all, so so.

It'll take time, but so long as we're getting the three points in the meantime, I can live with that.
Agree with this. It wasn't phenomenal or amazing as some are saying. The attack in particular looks very disjointed and relying on individual brilliance (Zlatan) rather than great team play to create goals. Lots of positives to work on though and great to have the points on the board.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I'am very happy Fellaini has found a place in Mourinho's plans, hope he can keep it up. Him and Pogba makes a strong competent midfield.

The only things that need to change are Rooney and Mata imo, much rather have Herrera and Mkhitaryan playing then them. Also hope that Jose isn't going to overlook rashford, he deserves to play, don't let him rot on the bench. That kid is our future and he can bring so much to our game, be it from the striker position or from the right wing.

eggwithsideburns

That was more like the united I know. I cant wait for the next game now, it feels like we can win and keeping winning. On the field I don't know what to expect, it feels like we can do anything, unlike last season when you knew exactly how the games would turn out. The excitement is definitely back.

Jacko21

Behave. We have just gained 6 points from games that we conceded 6 last season and we have only played 2 games. WE look better, stronger and more exciting than we have done for the last 3 yrs. So forgive people for being excited.
Behave? Just stating how I observed the game.

And judging by the stunted atmosphere at Old Trafford, I think some might agree. Perhaps they (and I) were expecting more and in time it will come, but tonight we were in second gear.

The word 'exciting' has been used a lot in the post-match thread - that's not the word that came to mind when I was watching the game.

We we controlled and comfortable, but not exciting.

And I'm fine with that at present. We're two games in with a team that will take time to adapt and gel. Just think some are too quick to praise.

Acole9

Outstanding
We looked a lot better tonight than last Sunday. It's still coming together but we look like we're getting there and fairly quickly too given the amount of time some of the players have been back in training.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
How good was Pogba tonight, just imagine what he will be like in a few weeks :drool:

A special mention to the fullbacks, especially Valencia he looked like a man possessed.

AndyJ1985

Our signings have been perfect and the speed and efficiency in which we've bought them has helped tremendously. It's so important to get business done before the season kicks off so we have a settled squad. Thank feck we aren't in Arsenal's position of still chasing players, and instead we can focus on the football. It's been just the start we've needed.

Irrational.

It was also reassuring to hear Jose saying that he can adapt Pogba for the opponent we play, and that he's willing to play him further forward if needed.

I do think he's wasted a bit as a DM.

Jacko21

I'am very happy Fellaini has found a place in Mourinho's plans, hope he can keep it up. Him and Pogba makes a strong competent midfield.

The only things that need to change are Rooney and Mata imo, much rather have Herrera and Mkhitaryan playing then them. Also hope that Jose isn't going to overlook rashford, he deserves to play, don't let him rot on the bench. That kid is our future and he can bring so much to our game, be it from the striker position or from the right wing.
Agreed. There needs to be more impetuous, drive and fluidity in transition. All of Which Herrera and Mkhitaryan can provide.

When only two (Martial & Pogba) of your front six have any pace to speak of, you're always going to struggle to counter effectively, without being heavily reliant on the overlay from the full-backs.

If we're playing a possession-based, patient game, then Mata and Rooney will suit, but not in a team that concedes possession and absorbs pressure in a bid to catch teams on the break.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
-------------------DDG-----------------------
Valencia-----Bailly---Blind----------Shaw
------Herrera---Pogba-----Fellaini-------
Mkhitaryan-----Ibra----------Martial

The team I want against Hull city

The red panther

princess transfer emo
They signed for United because Louis laid the foundations for them to really shine in though.
Him making us so bad any decent player and coach would have no problem to improve upon it is not what I call laying the foundations.

jungledrums

It was also reassuring to hear Jose saying that he can adapt Pogba for the opponent we play, and that he's willing to play him further forward if needed.

I do think he's wasted a bit as a DM.
He played as one of the two in a 4-2-3-1, but was clearly given the license to get forward. Fellaini was the DM, it's a stretch to say Pogba is being played as a DM. He's a box to box 8, plain and simple, with Fellaini being the #6, and the DM in that system.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The most important thing is that the excitement is back. I couldn't wait for the game, during the game we showed what potential we have and now I like forward to the next game

RaptorSlo

FULL TIME STATS
Possession: United 45% Southampton 55%
Shots at goal: United 11 Southampton 11
Shots on target: United 5 Southampton 1
Corners: United 4 Southampton 0

Just need to stop the other team getting so many chances, someone more clinical may punish us. Yet following it on here, just got the impression that we were not really under threat. So are those stats lying?
I think most of their shots were speculative with a really low chance of success. Only time they were dangerous was when we got a bit casual and gave away the ball easily and they made a quick counter. So yeah, those stats are kinda lying.

RaptorSlo

They signed for United because Louis laid the foundations for them to really shine in though.
Only foundation Luis laid, was that he accustomed us to low entertaining football.

So now even football of average entertainment value will look really entertaining!

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
He played as one of the two in a 4-2-3-1, but was clearly given the license to get forward. Fellaini was the DM, it's a stretch to say Pogba is being played as a DM. He's a box to box 8, plain and simple, with Fellaini being the #6, and the DM in that system.
Agreed. I was at the match so maybe got a better view than tv, and he was definitely being used box to box.

ThanksBoss26

We looked a lot better tonight than last Sunday. It's still coming together but we look like we're getting there and fairly quickly too given the amount of time some of the players have been back in training.
Agreed. Not to get carried away yet, it looks positive and moving in the right direction.

A good start, need to continue next week.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Southampton played very well tonight - they were well organized, pressed effectively and had a few pretty good chances to score, and I'm sure they would've if the likes of Pelle and Mane were still there.

WelshManc

It was a great performance, especially the 2nd half. To see us so fluid was a joy to watch. Another thing I like is that our 2 games so far this season is wins against teams of the same fixture that we lost last season, Bournemouth away and Soton at home.

Gasolin

Behave? Just stating how I observed the game.

And judging by the stunted atmosphere at Old Trafford, I think some might agree. Perhaps they (and I) were expecting more and in time it will come, but tonight we were in second gear.

The word 'exciting' has been used a lot in the post-match thread - that's not the word that came to mind when I was watching the game.

We we controlled and comfortable, but not exciting.

And I'm fine with that at present. We're two games in with a team that will take time to adapt and gel. Just think some are too quick to praise.
Hmm... when Martial goes upfront and is about to score, or when the ball goes to Valencia and he eliminates the defender and cross, or when Zlatan got the ball and he crosses for Martial who's an inch away to score a goal, I don't know, with those in, or with the last screamer Paul had at the end of the game, it's a 4:0 or 5:0 game. Do you call that controlled and comfortable but not exciting? It's hard to agree... the team has to work harder to score those goals but should that happen, Manchester United will be in a fantastic spot.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Tell ya what I haven't heard a "feel good" factor in the crowd for a while. The crowd have fully got into this team and it felt good to hear the songbook today.

Reddevildans

This was always going to be a difficult fixture. Southampton have won the last two at OT and we reduced them to half a dozen half chances. The most pleasing thing about the last few fixtures is De Gae not having to keep us in games when we have dominated possession and looked toothless at the same time. The performances have slowly become better. I expect another good performance against Hull next week. Pogba is a monster. He slowly grew into the game and ran the show easing pass players with comfort. Hes only going to get better. We still lack that extra man with pace upfront and this will only come by dropping Mata or Rooney. All in all, very happy with what im seeing.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Redmond 4.5[/QUOTE]
Did shaw dive? Cant see the contact.
Mmm. There wasn't a lot in it, to be fair, but I think just about enough contact. The players reaction was pretty telling.

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 988 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton
  • 21% Man Utd 3:0 Southampton