PL D FA Premier League

Southampton 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 August 2019

lewwoo

Never replaced Herrera or Lukaku. Not sure who expected any different this season. Nothing will change while the parasites remain at the top. Doesnt matter who is managing us.

siw2007

2 points dropped, performance not good enough again. James and Wan Bissaka had good games but everyone else was poor. We should have killed this team when we went 1 up, but conceded a stupid goal and lack of attacking options hurt us today when we really needed to go for them.

redom

We're a bog standard team nowadays, the lack of any real quality is sad and we have a long road ahead of us before we can even contemplate challenging the top dogs. I think we'll be comfortably outside the top 4.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
We just don't have enough going forward. With Pereira, Mata and Lingard all lacking, that is too much to overcome. We'll do well to finish top 4 and it would take a breakout season from either Gomes or Greenwood to go alongside James's production.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Some individual decent performances... But way too fecking relaxed from everyone. Too casual, no urgency, like everyone is playing with no pressure whatsoever in a negative sense. The manager needs to light a fire under their ass. Just simple mistakes throughout everywhere, mixed in with some who are just shit.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yep, we need a miracle if we're going to make top 4 with this squad.

Not bringing in a midfielder or two this summer is going to cost us dearly.

Lee565

Once again Solskjear side struggles to open up a side without the opposition allowing them space like Chelsea did. We ain't finishing top 6, we will be around 8th-12th as Solskjear is way out of his depth with results from the back end of last season carrying on into the new one.

abailey123

Dan james is excellent.
We’ve not got one forward prepared to attack the 6 yard box.
Wan Bissaka seems to be working on his crossing.
Problem areas for Ole to sort - centre half partner for Maguire - Lindelof 2 weeks in a row has been dominated in the air.
Midfield - we have to play Pogba as a 10 as we can’t get control of the game with him deeper- he was terrible today
Wide Right - Rashford to go wide right and not wide left? Dan James on the left.

Njord

There has been a lot of talk about the players that's not good enough for United. Today we were let down by those who supposedly is. I'm starting to warm to the idea of selling Pogba for a lot of money.

eire-red

Could easily just copy and paste my post from United vs Palace. Exact same performance against another poor team. The only reason we weren't beaten is because Southampton are toothless up front. It's going to be a looooooooong season

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah, we're in trouble.

Same as the back end of last season.

My prediction is that Ole will lose his job over the next few months, with United fans in the future feeling that while he didn't have it in him as a coach, his off the field choices ultimately brought us forward.
We are the same at the back partly, not entirely, because we have done feck all with that midfield, in fact it is even more open than it was last season.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Painfully average it must be said. We make heavy weather out of every single encounter, let teams back into matches as a formality and do not possess the quality to finish them off. Catching Chelsea cold and taking our chances well really gilded the lily early on, as since then we've been wasteful, naive and sorely lacking in quality. We can't go toe to toe with City, Liverpool and Spurs while everyone else from 4th to 20th will cause us problems, we don't have the ability/belief/knowhow to drive home an advantage when we get one.

Superunknown

It takes such an effort for us to create a simple chance. 10 minutes of build-up play, and then we usually mess up the chance at the end anyway.

And then at the other end, we concede cheap goals. The 2 goals last one and the 1 this wee have all been avoidable.

I am still adamant that there are fundamental coaching issues with this club and have been for some time. The amount of crosses we overhit, passes which are underhit, balls which bounce off our players, the amount of 1v1 duels we lose and how we cannot finish our chances...it's not normal for a club of this stature.

There are serious footballing problem at the club and the stats back this up.

Mr.Kaya

We deserved to win this match after all the pressure and those crosses from James, but we didnt. Rashford not clinical in front of the goal. I want to see more of Greenwood as our striker and Rashford on the right feeding Greenwood with crosses. James needs to keep playing on the leftside, he was on fire.

MrBest

Same stuff different day. Not won away in the league since Feb. Squad lacks creativity and the funny thing our most creative player plays as a holding mid, and the second most creative player is in the reserves. If things do not change soon, Ole out will start to ring. Looking at this performance we will finish 10th. We are bang average.

Chicharito_

You have to look at OGS for leaving us this light, it's absolutely disgraceful. It's fine to get rid of the deadwood but you have to replace it in the attacking areas and he didn't.

Perreira offers absolutely nothing as a winger so why play him there?

Really worrying from OGS that.

Toni Roncoroni

what a bad performance once more. they don‘t seem to care as much as we do.

so much wrong with this club and with the players we have we won‘t be able to hide that.

WPMUFC

We are barely a top 10 team, and that is being kind. Rashford and Lingard going "hero-solo" mode is a joke. We have no depth.

Why is young still allowed to cross a ball? He hsould be banned from crossing...ever. Threaten him with a sub if he crosses.

Paul778

How many real chances did we make?

Lingard should be playing in the reserves until he finds some form. Same with Pereira except I've never seen him have any form.

Do we practices crossing and set pieces at all? Struggling to remember the last time we had a good crosser in the side.

Come to think of it do we practise in the final third at all? So slow, so one dimensional. Rashford new contract and him leading the line is a joke. We managed to get a couple of good crosses in the last 10 mins and Rashford was nowhere near them.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Valuable point won. We're well on the way to top half at this rate. Let's keep the run going.

soralapio

It really is so depressing when you're chasing a game and pushing to go and win it ... and you only have players like Lingard and Matic to bring on to do it. Once again extremely wasteful in front of the goal, conceded from the second decent chance Southampton had and then couldn't break them down again.

Woodward's awful summer is already hurting United so bad because not only is the first team not that great, the options on the bench are downright abysmal. Fair play to James who looks like an absolute steal at £15m, and Greenwood was the most positive player on the pitch after coming on, but the lad's 17. You can't count on him yet.

Josep Dowling

Ole tells us he wants to play the youth. Gomes never on the bench, Chong never hasn’t play. Greenwood has been given 10 minutes in each game. Why sell all our players if you think Mata, Lingard and Matic will get is goals?

Greenwood did more in 10 minutes than Rashford did for the entire game.

He should have started Rashford-Greenwood-James up front. Why change around the position for the entire front 3 with one injury? Ole hasn’t got a clue, he will be gone by Christmas for sure.

iHicksy

"Finishing top 6 with this squad is one of my greatest achievements" - Ole 2019

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I'm not surprised by this result in the slightest, and I do think we've got some promising players in our squad.

But for those who bemoan the moaners, other than thinking it bad form, what is there to be positive about right now?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Poor result. We have a bunch of good individuals, but we move the ball about at a snails pace, and it's no wonder we can't break teams down.

James strike was great, but today his final ball into the box was really poor. It is all well and good beating your man for pace, but if you can't put a decent ball in it means nothing. Really needs to improve this.

Lingard I thought was poor again. On a few occasions, he could have played someone into the box, but instead went for the speculative effort which posed no threat.

I did like seeing our CB both carrying the ball forward and passing forward well. They looked promising, same as Aaron who was solid again.

stu_1992

The only positive I can see is James from this game. Good showing from him. As for the rest well, I see no improvment from last year based on the 4 games so far. We have struggled for years to break down ultra defensive teams and there's no sign of that changing this year yet. Didn't seem to be able distinguable gameplan to get a win there.

Also Ole's subs again have to be called into question. We're looking for a goal and you bring on Matic? At least Lingard is an attacking player though he was woeful when he came out. Unncessary shooting caused us to ruin 2 attacks when there blatantly better options. Greenwood shoudl have been on as soon as they went down to 10 as it was obvious that they would go very defensive.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
no balance to the starting line-up (which I said at kick off), not enough desire or energy and even less true quality. there is hardly anyone out there who I'd miss if we sold them tonight. and as I said when he was appointed, Ole is a club legend but he isn't United quality as a manager. he's living in dreamland if he thinks some of these players are good enough. I repeat: he'll quit before next summer

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What happened to Ole’s game plan? We’ve looked utterly clueless for 3 games now. Do we even have a plan?

Okey

Well, like I said last week, we're really an average team with an average manager. The number of individual mistakes and sloppy plays our players make is batshit scary. 2 points from Wolves, Palace and Southampton is just abysmal. For once I'm grateful for an international break.

LoneStar

And people were happy when we let Smalling go on loan. Now enjoy this!

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
About what was expected. There is no quality in this team.

Once again we spent a summer splashing a shit load of cash on average players to add to an average squad, ignoring the lack of players capable of sticking it in the net.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 529 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd