PL D FA Premier League

Southampton 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 August 2019

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You watched only the last 20 minutes so didn't see Mata have a good game. Gomes wasn't on the bench either.

You should probably watch the game next time.
Well, I may not have watched the game but I know that Gomes wasn't on the bench because he played for the reserves and got injured. He shouldn't be playing for the reserves and Mata and Matic should be out of this team.

And I seriously doubt Mata had a good game given how this forum now defines a 'good game' i.e. like how Lukaku had good games.

Turkleton

4-2-3-1 needs to stop now. No world class #10 means it's pointless. We end up with no one in the box while having two players who like running in miles away.

I think the red card hurt more than helped in terms of going for a win.

Riz

As soon as they equalised the game was done. The players and fans both knew it. We have neither the quality nor spirit to deal with any sort of pressure.

The goal we scored was poor defending on Saints part giving so much time to James to come onto his right foot in the area. Beyond that I struggle to think of any changes let alone sustained periods of pressure we had in the whole match, a quarter of which we played against 10 men.

I don’t think Ole is the answer because I don’t think any manager is the answer in our current state. When you’ve been through a tactical visionary like Van Gaal, a serial winner like Mourinho and a club legend like Ole whilst still serving up dross with the likes of Lingard and Young first team players the issue is not the manager.

You cannot get rid of Herrera, Fellaini and Lukaku and sign absolutely NO replacements and expect to improve. It’s honestly unbelievable how we neglected the gaping holes in our team and squad over the summer.

Tony Babangida

So average. Never think we will score a winner anymore. Not enough goals in the team and nobody that can produce a moment of magic.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Three consecutive bad games in a row, now. If we had scored the penalties we would have 8 points, yes, but that cannot hide the fact that we struggle to create coherent attacking football and Lindelof/Young are extremely weak links in defense: 4 goals conceded in 3 games. Reeks of 18-19.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Pogba is by far our best midfielder. And he’s fecking dire.

We have no creativity and if we happen to create something, we’ve got nobody to finish it off.

Pressure was good to see after the red card, but nothing was created.

I need to stop giving so much of a shit because I’m sick of this ruining every weekend.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
good to see we've forged ahead with getting that director of football too. oh wait...

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
No away win since PSG. None in the league since February.

Can't wait for the top reds to come in and whine about "spoiled and entitled fans" who have the gall to expect a top half finish.

fps

It's now blindingly obvious the limitation of Ole as a coach/manager. The football in the last 15 min when they were down to 10 was something out of the 80s, move the ball very slowly sideways to eventually create crossing space after 50 passes then fail pathetically by over or under hitting it!
I didn't think that at all. There were 2 or 3 very dangerous crosses which would have been a tap-in for a striker who gambled.

leontas

Ole should be made DoF and we need to bring an actual manager in who can set us up tactically

tombombadil

Well, I said it earlier. If we keep gifting away possession and chances like that, Southampton are going to get lucky. And they did.

It's like a template for breaking United now. Foul them to stop the counter. Attack Lindelof with a high ball and you might get lucky.

For all their supposed quality, this team makes too many mistakes and cannot score enough goals to compensate.

Crashoutcassius

The xG over the last three games is painful...

Conceded around ~2 xG against, actually conceded 4

Created around 5.6 xG for, including penalties, actually scored 3.
People only talked about xg when we outperformed it last season... you'll find now that 'stats don't tell the whole story'

edgecutter

Ole is too slow to adapt either tactically or through subs to inplay changes.
Doesn't have a game plan against sides that sit back. We looked clueless trying to break down a team with a man sent off. My big worry is when we play the likes of pool and city, they will year us to shreds.

Pacificgi

2 away games where we've generally looked comfortable in the 1st half, not taken advantage and its bit us on the ass in the 2nd.

James was excellent, Rashford poor and the rest were just ...there

Tony247

Ole has very few options (or is there any option) in the midfield so I have some sympathy for him. United should have targetted at least one creative midfielder. But anyway, we got what we got.

Problem I see is Ole is too loyal to his first selection so much that he doesn't change it until its too late. Greenwood is a poacher. Agree he is just 17. But playing him only for 10-15 mins is preposterous. If he is going to be a sub then he should be there from 60-65 mins, and when Rashford is playing so, I mean so really bad then Greenwood should come on at half time.

I would like Ole to experiment bit more now that there is zero chance we even finish top 4. Bring Dylan Levitt in the midfield as no. 10. That kid is far more ambitious in passing than any of the current united midfied, even better through passer than Pogba. What worse could happen? Play him please.

Lastly I feel for Pogba. Yes sometimes he is good, sometime he simply disappears. As a united supporter I like him to stay and be motivated. But if I put myself in his shoes then I don't blame him if he lost his motivation and wants to go. I fully understand. He can't carry that burdon all the time when there is hardly any support in midfied, when there is no forward who can convert his idea into a goal.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Without wanting to be negative ... we are not anywhere near a top 4 side.

He may have been a fat mardy man but we sold our only proven goalscorer and haven’t bolstered midfield and it has shown so far in each match. This is going to be a pretty tough season for all involved.

Sorry rashford fanboys ... he just isn’t intelligent enough on the ball. It’s been obvious for a long time and lots more evidence of that today. He may be young but I would be starting Greenwood as our striker from the very next match.

Pogba just isn’t a midfield boss. Regardless of who we put around him he will never drag the team forwards in tough games. No less of a flat track bully than lukaku was alleged to have been.

Lingard ...

Dan James is currently my favourite attacking player. Rough round the edges but at £15m he carries more threat than anyone else.

That was a difficult watch and it will only get harder. If we genuinely want top 4 we’ve got a massive and ugly scrap on our hands and I’m not convinced we have the right players for it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I love Ole but he is naive when it comes to building a squad. We needed another attacker and a CM. This will cost us and probably him. The boo boys/manchild lot on here can feck off too.
I'd be surprised if that was his decision though.

What modern football manager doesn't want to buy players?

Konimey

Next match Ole needs to starts James at the left, Greenwood center and Gomes right and play Pogba right behind them. Ole seems to be a donkey, Pogba cannot play as a holding 2 mid, he expects Paul to put in those quarterback long balls as if this is NFL. Lingaard needs to be sold and Rashford as an impact player off the bench.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
After slow first few minutes, were in controlling the first half. Sluggish start to the second half.

Lindelof is so weak, wrong one went to Roma. Still thought we'd win even after the equaliser but bringing on Lingard and Matic and heart sinks. Greenwood should have been on earlier.
Rashford wasteful, best performances James and AWB.

Overall gave the ball away too much and too sloppy.

Gandalf

Well, I may not have watched the game but I know that Gomes wasn't on the bench because he played for the reserves and got injured. He shouldn't be playing for the reserves and Mata and Matic should be out of this team.

And I seriously doubt Mata had a good game given how this forum now defines a 'good game' i.e. like how Lukaku had good games.
Mata was excellent and the worst decision Olé made was to take him off. Watch a replay of the game and you will see how good he was.

wolvored

Who drops the shit lingard for the shit pereira only to swap them around when it was crying out for something different eg Greenwood. He did more than they did together. Matic and mctom will have to be the centre midfield pogba att midfield and rashford right as we have no one else, james left and greenwood in the middle. Lindelof poor in the air again

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Harsh on the summer signings that I think. James showed his limitations in the second half but Bissaka looks like he will be an excellent player for us, as does Maguire.

The squad is still littered with dross though.
Sell all the attackers and midfielders. Buy defenders. What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing against AWB, he looks decent, if limited. James was maybe worth a punt. But spending £85m on another CB when we are desperate for a striker and midfielder was just ludicrous.

big rons sovereign

Garbage. Lindelof and Dr Gea at fault again. Every team on the planet knows to just put crosses onto Lindelof, he'll lose 8/10.
Lingard and Matic are possibly 2 of the most pathetic subs I've ever seen.
What happened to strikers gambling on crosses? I always thought it was one of the first things taught.
These lot just can't be bothered.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Fans need just suck it up that this will take a while for us to get good again.
LVG said when he came onboard that it would take 5 years for United to get somewhere near the top again and consistently stay there and he was right.
He was the wrong man but he knew what a foundation looked like. Now I feel confident we're building a foundation on DDG,Maguire,AWB,James but we obviously need another few windows and to continue to get the deadwood out.That is imperative.

The midfield general

Pogba has everything as a player,but to me it is clear he just does not give a feck about the club,he strolls about as if it is just a knock around on a Sunday afternoon.I say get rid and good riddance.

edcunited1878

I watched the last 20 minutes but I can't imagine the first 70 were much different. We're predictably shit and looking more and more like Liverpool from their midtable phase.

Playing Matic and Mata is just idiotic when you have Greendwood and Gomes on the bench.
Mata played well, matic played fine and allowed Pogba to move forward, Greenwood played well and Gomes played last night but got taken off due to a knock...thus not a sub today.

fps

Rashford. The more I think about the match, and though I'm a defender of his huge potential, the more this match has really turned on Marcus Rashford's performance. Twice Pogba put him in beautifully on his left foot, the kind of position you'd practise in training. Once he waited a little too long and the shot was blocked, the other time he hit an OK, youth team kinda effort which was a comfortable save. Additionally, 2 or 3 crosses in the second half would have been tap-ins had he gambled and got into the 6 yard area.

This is harsh on a 21 year old, of course, but he wanted that contract, he wanted to be the main man. And he hasn't made it happen, truly, the chances were there to win the game with a centre forward who could really finish on his left side or was willing to get hurt to score a goal.

klsv

Feels weird. I have always been for sacking any manager, including Ole, for not getting us into the CL after a full season in charge. Now I'm not sure. I didn't expect us to start the new one with a weaker side.

Ekeke

Two mid table teams. Southampton's CBs were better than ours. James with a great finish, about the only positive from our performance was that one shot

We looked like we needed to add more players than we did last season. Amazing transfer window

LoneStar

Daniel James was the only decent player today.

DDG - could have done better than just weekly punching the header away, which leads to the goal.

Lindelof - Absolute joke of a defender when you can't win a header most of the times. Every team will be targetting him, cause he is early our weak link in the defence.

Young - I know he's backup and all, but why the feck does he always take the set pieces? Not one of his set pieces lead to anything.

Pogba - slightly better in the second half than the first. But it would be hard not to improve when you have played like complete shite in the first half. Must have lost the ball 20 times today.

Periera and Lingard - Should be nowhere near the first team or the squad for that matter. In fact, they don't just offer nothing, but it could be argued that they actually are a hindrance.

Rashford - Any half decent striker would have scored one goal from so many chances. He offered absolutely nothing today.

Going to be a very long season, top 4 is simply not possible. Would be interesting to see if we make it to top 6, I'm not sure anymore.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 529 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd