PL D FA Premier League

Southampton 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 August 2019

hobbers

Can we just keep on at how bad Ole's strategy was to bring on two of the worst on-the-ball players at 60 minutes, and wait until there was only 8 minutes left to put on Greenwood. When chasing a win.

fecking awful management.

More of the same from everyone else. Lindelof was shite. Young was hopeless as per. Pogba is terrible playing that deep. Pereira offered nothing. Rashford was an absolute travesty both in terms of his on the ball contribution and his abject lack of movement.

mu4c_20le

Yeah it’s all Lindelof’s fault that he lost out on a header against a towering 6’6 defender. He hardly put a foot wrong otherwise.

How’s about blaming Rashford for being utter shit. For having to bring on Lingard and Matic to trying to win a game.
the problem is lindelof has a mistake like that in every game, he just gets away with it most of the time.

b20times

Not good enough again. Southampton are absolutely awful, one of my tips to go down yet we couldn't put them away.
Sorry but the cost of the squad compared to theirs and the quality compared to theirs we should have been romping it.
How long does a transitional period last because I don't think the fans will last another season of mediocrity.
And to think after the Chelsea match everyone thought utd was back.

OrcaFat

Decent performance although execution was lacking at times. A few errors by individuals made it look worse. Tactics were fine. Subs were okay given the options. I assume the kid Greenwood is being eased in and will be given more minutes soon - he did well and we need more of that ASAP.

James will get a lot of assists if we can get more guys arriving on the six yard line in time. Confident we’ll improve a lot from here but a few quality additions to the squad still needed.

Handré1990

This looked exactly like last year. Very frustrating! You can really see the importance of possession play, or lack thereof. The only way to break these teams down is to move the ball quickly from side to side. We walk it around, for lack of both quality and coaching I think.

Pereira? Don’t know about that one. Lingard before Greenwood? Again, very strange. Greenwood was on the pitch for about 10 minutes, compare his involvement and contribution to Lingard and Pereira’s, and it’s hard to understand that decision altogether.

Martial’s absence was really felt. Rashford isn’t a modern striker.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why am I not allowed to rate zero to Rashy and Jesse? I would rather give both of these fecks a -10

reddevil702

We could literally go into any post match thread from the last 15 matches or so and copy & paste most comments. Same performance, same players letting us down and a manager who is clueless.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Doesn't have a game plan against sides that sit back. We looked clueless trying to break down a team with a man sent off. My big worry is when we play the likes of pool and city, they will year us to shreds.
Exactly. He’s out of his depth. A club legend as a player, and I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but people talking about “but who could do better with this squad” need to realise... it’s about who won’t sink us as low as Ole is going to sink us.

LVGSdive

Gomes is a teenager with 3 first team appearances to his name... If you think he will revolutionise this team I have some bad news for you.
Good point. We can just not play him instead. Then let him leave on a free at the end of season and he can revolutionise another team.

It was clear to anyone who watched pre season that the team was a lot better with Gomes than without him.

Betson

It is going to be another long and frustrating season , we are showing mid table form.

And that should not be that much of a surprise as the squad quality is just above mid table.

R'hllor

You know that you have no clue in final third with ball on the ground when you start crossing aimless with motto "Gsus take the wheel".

Those subs thoo, my lord, guess we have to choose between 88min subs or that. Also wouldnt be surprised if those meme stats are in Lingards head, he twice went for it even when he had better solution.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I see Lindelof has become the new Carrick/Rooney as scapegoat for everything

Superunknown

And people were happy when we let Smalling go on loan. Now enjoy this!
Maybe Smalling would have gifted them a goal earlier in the game. You can never really tell and hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's a poor goal to concede, but the reality is that we didn't do enough in the second half to kill the game when we were 1-0 up and we didn't look like getting the winner when they had equalised. On the balance of it, we got what we deserved, which was a point.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Complete joke of a team, laughin stock of english football. Oles subs are diabolical, Lingard is utter bollocks, selfish little scrote is an embarresment. Our 3 new signings are our best players.

No lessons learnt frim the wolves game.

Love the club, despise this group of players.

Todd

It's going to take an obscene amount of money to fix this club. More than half a billion over the next few summers otherwise we'll be finishing somewhere between 6th and 8th from now until the end of days

SteveCoppellFan

Im not even sure what our aspirations are this season.

Are we going to be happy with bringing on a young squad and finishing 8th ?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Fans need just suck it up that this will take a while for us to get good again.
LVG said when he came onboard that it would take 5 years for United to get somewhere near the top again and consistently stay there and he was right.
He was the wrong man but he knew what a foundation looked like. Now I feel confident we're building a foundation on DDG,Maguire,AWB,James but we obviously need another few windows and to continue to get the deadwood out.That is imperative.
If we don't pick up we will struggle to sign anybody. Yes we signed players in the past, but we had managers with big reputations. We now have Ole who sits there staring into space.

JoaquinJoaquin

We can't keep blaming individuals every game, simple fact is we just have a lack of quality in the team and the Glazers not giving us money has cost us.

tombombadil

Pogba has not been worth the starting position. At some point in time, we either need to reinvent him as a no 10 or replace him with a more suitable no 6.

Perreira probably won't start the next match. Rashford has been very poor. Both him and Pogba have been gifting away possession and wasting chances.

This team has no spine. Both in terms of grit and in terms of quality players to build around.

Al-T

I honestly can't see how it improves from here. Squad has been torn to the bones with the exception of the number of poor and injury prone Centre backs. And the backup CB actually capable of staying fit and, despite his obvious limitations , could, in fact, defend we've released on loan.

Didn't replace Lukaku or Sanchez, Herrera or Fellaini.

Thus, there are no credible options up front, or in midfield. Leaving aside the youngsters and Romero on the bench today, we see Matic, Lingard and Rojo. This IS Manchester United, isn't it?

Worse though, Solskjaer has had months now to work with the majority of this lot. Yet they still don't seem to know what gameplan they are playing to. And the number of sloppy mistakes they make.....It beggars belief.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Does the board even care what brand of football a manager tries to play? What the feck is this playing as a counter-attacking team week in week out? We were better off with Mou if we wanted to play shite on stick football.

Alexit

Lindelof looked really shaky. Rashford was poor as was Pogba especially in the first half

Matic needs to start not for the simple reason that we have no other options and Pogba must be further up the pitch.

Scholsey2004

Meh. The seasons just started. We knew the attack was weak already. Hopefully we can strengthen a bit in january.

Chunk of hope

struggling to see our next win in the 3 games we have coming up after the break with this team and the setup we have.

ForeverUnited93

I’m done, I’m seriously done. We are an absolute joke, a laughing stock, it’s disgusting. This squad is all over the shop. We get Maguire and AWB in, fantastic. We then sell Lukaku, let Herrera walk free and send Sanchez and Smalling on loan, and sign feck all. We hold onto Pogba but don’t get anyone in to help the man ffs. A shining light it James, scoring goals which is good, but he should at this point in time BE AN IMPACT PLAYER!!!!!!. Then you have the two Mr. Inconsistents in Rashford and Martial who are incredibly frustrating to watch, and oh, don’t get me started on JLinz, the sooner he is fecked off the better, an atrocious footballer.

This is where we’re at, mid-table, that’s us. We play like one and we look like one, and the club seems to not give a flying feck. Fancy being 7pts behind Liverpool 4 games in???? 4 games in and us fans are already over it, bloody disappointing. This club is a long, long way off challenging for the title again, won’t be happening while Woodward is around, that clown is the MAIN problem.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
As soon as a team sits back we're absolutely fecked. Haven't got a clue. There's just no invention in the final third. I said this the other day, but i see no reason why any side, maybe apart from Liverpool and City, don't just sit back deep and defend against us. They're almost guaranteed a point and maybe a bit more because we ain't fecking breaking them down.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
the problem is lindelof has a mistake like that in every game, he just gets away with it most of the time.
This is the problem with Lindelöf.
You can be as tidy a player on the ball as you like, but he'll regularly get beaten in the air, and that's 2 games in a row it's been critical.

This is why you don't have centre backs weak in the air in the English game.

fps

Pogba has not been worth the starting position. At some point in time, we either need to reinvent him as a no 10 or replace him with a more suitable no 6.

Perreira probably won't start the next match. Rashford has been very poor. Both him and Pogba have been gifting away possession and wasting chances.

This team has no spine. Both in terms of grit and in terms of quality players to build around.
I agree there are better 6s out there, more dynamic and mobile. I believe he should be crushing teams as our 10. All this chopping and changing of his position the last few years hasn't helped shape his game at all. In a better team he would still have provided at least one assist, possible two. Imagine Griezmann or Suarez running on to those balls into the left channel. It's goal time.

OT1214

Play the kids, Ole. Can’t get much worse than this. We aren’t getting good players with this kind of football, and we wont play good football with our “senior” players. So yeah let the kids play. At least they will learn from their mistakes.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I see Lindelof has become the new Carrick/Rooney as scapegoat for everything
Did you see Lindelof today or at any point this season?

The criticism he's getting right now is more than justified. He looks like a Championship player.

always_hoping

Another two points dropped in away fixture but this time against Southampton no where near as good as Wolves and they played the last 20 minutes with 10 men. Southampton got two efforts on goal all match, the goal and the header from the corner where united never cleared their lines. Poor defending on both.

4 games played. 5 points gained and 7 dropped. We are a club stuck in limbo and its going to be a tough season ahead for us supporters watching I'm afraid.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Jose is stopping the players from performing with free flow football. United could score lots of goals if it wants for the defensive tactics.

:D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As soon as a team sits back we're absolutely fecked. Haven't got a clue. There's just no invention in the final third. I said this the other day, but i see no reason why any side, maybe apart from Liverpool and City, don't just sit back deep and defend against us. They're almost guaranteed a point and maybe a bit more because we ain't fecking breaking them down.
I actually started thinking at least we won't lose now.
Always in the past i'd be thinking about scoring.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
rio looking at their goal: four black shirts in penalty area marking no one. yes blame the CBs (both of them) but no one is marking

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
What happened to Ole’s game plan? We’ve looked utterly clueless for 3 games now. Do we even have a plan?
When a team sits back against us we haven't got a clue. Been like it for some time. There's just no ideas there whatsoever and it shows no signs of improving.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 529 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd