g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Southampton 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 August 2019

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Much the same as Moyes,LVG,Jose and now Ole people need to realise that these managers would hardly like to start the season with the majority of players they have. Heck,Jose went on full breakdown mode last season because of it.

I feel United could be potentially moving in the right direction in getting rid of the deadwood and bringing in the right individuals though. But this season is also a potential write off.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Our biggest problem is we create so little.
In that context, more likely than not we're going to have one incident that costs us. And unfortunately for Lindelöf he's been beaten twice in 2 games.

But we all know he's not at all strong in the air, so there's no way round it.
but as the commentators pointed out... maguire challenges and he drops off to cover which I think he does well. but I did say we should have broken the bank for de lights

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
To make things worse, there is international football next week. It will be a long wait until we see our next victory.

I m shocked that we couldn’t break down a 10 men team. We didn’t have any easy chances, we just couldn’t create those clear cut opportunities. It is a big contrast to pochettino side last week who creates opportunities but couldn’t finish them due to lack of quality players.

fps

Yep! But also he does try and pass and cross when it is better to do so. He could show Rashford how to do this.
It's interesting because the pair of them are EXACTLY the same age. But this is where the pressure of being a constant first-teamer at a young age may be telling on Rashford. The team's not doing great, he's in there as a first-teamer when in my view he should not be yet, despite his potential. James has come in and he's a breath of fresh air because he knows he's one for the future, a squad player, and can do his best. Rashford is in his own head constantly on the pitch, he's got the world on his shoulders. That's what happens when a young player is, in my view, overpromoted too soon. I just hope it isn't detrimental to his long-term development.

The_Order

Bring in Gomez and Chong.

Put Fred back in the team.

Drop Rashford for Greenwood.

Dansk

The real losers are Chelsea who conceded four to this shower of shit.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I found a bit of promise in today's performance. If Pogba could perform higher up pitch we just need one defensive midfielder to be reasonable.

Gorse Hill Red

He surely has to start Tuanzebe now, that two games running where Lindelof is to blame.

As for Pogba he’s our best Midfielder but has no interest playing for this club.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
To make things worse, there is international football next week. It will be a long wait until we see our next victory.

I m shocked that we couldn’t break down a 10 men team. We didn’t have any easy chances, we just couldn’t create those clear cut opportunities. It is a big contrast to pochettino side last week who creates opportunities but couldn’t finish them due to lack of quality players.
You're so weird.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Did you see Lindelof today or at any point this season?

The criticism he's getting right now is more than justified. He looks like a Championship player.
what about rashford? what about young? what about pretty much all of them? a proper united side would have been three or four up by the time this happened and it wouldn't matter as much

Prodigy24

Don't want to sound too negative already but I'm really worried about this season already. The squad is very thin and we are already putting way too much pressure on the young players. The team today, plus Martial and Shaw will be what we'll have to rely on every week, and we expect out of depth players like example Pereira to perform. It's all looking very grim.

The performance today shows that we still have no clue how to create chanses against teams that stay deep and defend. No progress there what so ever.

The major positive is that our new signings have all been excellent.

Oh, and I'll probably need to get some anger management treatment or I'll lose it this season.

fps

Marcus struggled to step in at forward today. We might have erred by not being more aggressive with a forward replacement.
I posted further back about this. Rashford had two good chances on his left side. OK they're not on his right side but you'll never get everything you want. There were 3 crosses in the 6 yard box that would have been tap-ins for a seasoned centre forward. Then again, he's been playing out on the wing for ages, which has been ridiculous considering he is meant to be learning his trade as a striker.

tombombadil

Well I suppose, we should look at the positives.

I think James has been good.

Mata was decent but can't play the 90 mins.

AWB has been good but poor moving forward. Probably should stay down and push another player forwards when in possession instead. Can also be used to cover Lindelof as well this way.

Maguire has been good as well. Needs to bring the ball forward more instead of Lindelof.

Young has been decent overall, but not outstanding.

DavelinaJolie

Those crosses across the face of the goal with no one attacking them were so bloody frustrating. Clearly need a clinical forward.

lex talionis

To state the obvious, we’re not playing good football these days.

Too few genuine scoring chances. A glaring weakness at CB.

Going into the season most caftards here, myself included, believed we had a realistic shot at fourth place. But we’re finding out now our expectations were overly optimistic.

We need to throw everything we’ve got at the Europa League now.

JohnnyKills

We're at the start of a massive rebuild. Let's wait until we've seen it through.

fps

Rashford has drifted in last 3 years. He has turned into a striker from 'wanting to score goal' to 'waiting for opportunity to score goal'. And both attitudes have big difference. What james scored and that shot from Greenwood is what I call 'wanting to score goal'. Rashford's game on the other hand was littered with bad decisions, bad shots from bad position, missed opportunities. I don't know who is coaching him but I am scared of thought that the same team will now be coaching Greenwood. Hope they don't turn a genuine RVP like poacher into a rashford.
Yes excellent post, totally agree with that distinction. I think Rashford's really in his own head, he (and management over time) have laden him with so much pressure to perform, at such a young age, and I can see that weight on his shoulders every time he steps out. I wish he had a fortnight of training now and wasn't joining up with England.

Greenwood, I liked what I saw, pretty easy save for the keeper ultimately but he has something, definitely. I hope he doesn't have the same pressure applied to him, but the lack of right-side options may force Ole's hand.

Raven96__

Supports
Real Madrid
Its time to change the manager and many squad players who are no where near good enough.

JG3001

We’ve got to be up there with Newcastle for one of the worst run clubs in the league. All that money and they still can’t put a decent team together.

Lingard, Young, Matic, Mctominay, Pereira wouldn’t get close to any other top 10 team.

Having Ole at the moment is like seeing the cluelessness of Moyes combined with the bizarre squad decimation of LVG.

We really had a chance to turn things around after Mourinho was sacked but think we’ve well and truly blown it. It’s clear the board just don’t care about getting us back to our best.

As long as the brand makes money they’re happy, surely this has got to take a hit soon with the club going the way it is.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Don't want to sound too negative already but I'm really worried about this season already. The squad is very thin and we are already putting way too much pressure on the young players. The team today, plus Martial and Shaw will be what we'll have to rely on every week, and we expect out of depth players like example Pereira to perform. It's all looking very grim.

The performance today shows that we still have no clue how to create chanses against teams that stay deep and defend. No progress there what so ever.

The major positive is that our new signings have all been excellent.

Oh, and I'll probably need to get some anger management treatment or I'll lose it this season.
Yes they have and they were all brought in by a supposedly clueless Ole.
I cannot reiterate how fans need to be good damn patient this season.

tombombadil

That’s what I just don’t get. We have a habit of making other teams football look better coached and drilled than our own.

And £150m for Pogba? Madrid must be putting their cheque book back in their pocket.
I get what you mean. The team is just lacking something.

I'm pretty sure we're not going to get that kind of money from Madrid if we keep this up.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Mata was excellent and the worst decision Olé made was to take him off. Watch a replay of the game and you will see how good he was.
Mata played well, matic played fine and allowed Pogba to move forward, Greenwood played well and Gomes played last night but got taken off due to a knock...thus not a sub today.
OK, let's give Mata this one. But my overall point is that he's not a good fit for this system and Gomes should be starting ahead of him.

As for Matic, he's so slow and takes so many touches, even when he's good, he's Fellaini good. He's not dynamic and he'll never create a chance.

Overall, our standards are slipping if we think these players are good enough for this club.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
platitudes from Ole. talks about creating loads of chances? huh? when? seeing him so out his depth makes me so sad. tells us we were beter today and against Palace than against chelseas. "not a dip in form, a dip in results". sorry, he's in dreamland
He must listen to 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' every night before he goes to sleep.

edcunited1878

As soon as they equalised the game was done. The players and fans both knew it. We have neither the quality nor spirit to deal with any sort of pressure.

The goal we scored was poor defending on Saints part giving so much time to James to come onto his right foot in the area. Beyond that I struggle to think of any changes let alone sustained periods of pressure we had in the whole match, a quarter of which we played against 10 men.

I don’t think Ole is the answer because I don’t think any manager is the answer in our current state. When you’ve been through a tactical visionary like Van Gaal, a serial winner like Mourinho and a club legend like Ole whilst still serving up dross with the likes of Lingard and Young first team players the issue is not the manager.

You cannot get rid of Herrera, Fellaini and Lukaku and sign absolutely NO replacements and expect to improve. It’s honestly unbelievable how we neglected the gaping holes in our team and squad over the summer.
The goal United scored was really good actually because of quick passes that took out the midfield and Mata overlaps to create space and an angle for James

edgecutter

He surely has to start Tuanzebe now, that two games running where Lindelof is to blame.

As for Pogba he’s our best Midfielder but has no interest playing for this club.
Are you surprised. The squad is in the worst state I have seen and he is the one getting shit thrown at him from fans and the media.

Rashford isn't a top striker, lingard is like a player that won a competition to play here and the midfield is being propped up by an academy player that looks out of his depth.

Pogba knows this is a sinking ship and he rightly wants off.

DickDastardly

Agreed. I don't actually think there's much wrong with our back 4, we could give Tuanzebe a go in replace of Lindelof to experiment but Lindelof didn't have a bad game imo, unfortunate with the goal yes but we controlled the game and limited Southampton to only a few chances.

The issue as I think everyone on this forum predicted was our midfield and attack. It's simply not working right now and to his credit he is experimentating with different combinations to try and find something that works. He's going through the senior players and given none have worked so far he should soon switch over to our younger players. It's inevitable. It's then down to those younger players to take their chance when it falls to them because they do have a serious opportunity to grab a starting spot in the 11 for a prolonged period of time.

He's given Rashford a go as #9 and he failed badly. He will probably give him a second chance to impress before falling onto Greenwood. Martial might be back by then however. I wouldn't be suprised if we start next game with James, Rashford and Greenwood (assuming all are fit).
Agree.

Back four is solid. They need some time to blend, and they need to stay fit. Let's hope Shaw get's back asap.
Victor had a somewhat good game, not talking about the header, he was a bit shaky in possesion.

Scott is great when we are on the front foot. He keeps it simple, passes it forward and first time.
Pogba needs to do that more often.
Give and go. Simple.

Mata was great imo. He plays simple, knows when to run, when to stay.
Instrumental in getting young James a window for a shot.
Was in great position to pull another if Rashford just plays it to him.

James was standout best player.

Out of the young players to come forward ...Greenwood is on there.
Matter of time he breaks into a regular starter.

I'd like to see Gomes get games.
Also Chong, although very raw, could get some minutes.

And we all hope Fred could be the one who blends it all in, although very unlikely, but here's to hoping.

Superunknown

Smalling is clearly the superior defender to Lindelof. Lindelof might be better on the ball, but what's the point when we don't even use that?

Every team will now target Lindelof, and exploit his weaknesses. We are already seeing this, and it won't get any better.

But the main point is we sold our second or third best defender, when we have Phil Jones and Rojo as backup. Not the greatest moves.
In fairness to the club, I think we've been trying all Summer to shift both Jones and Rojo and nobody has taken them off our hands. I personally would have sold/moved on Smalling last out of all of our options as I feel that Jones, Bailly and Rojo all "deserve" to go before Smalling.

I like Lindelöf and, even though he's been caught out twice in two games, I still feel that he is the right defensive partner for Maguire and that the two will still form a good partnership over the season. He does need to improve his heading game/1v1 duels, no denying that. He was one of our better performers last season and he'll be a good performer for us this season too, imo. There's enough there.

The real issue is that we were leading a game and then ended up drawing. It feels like a loss. When a defender makes a mistake, it is magnified because it's reflected directly in the scoreline. If the ball is cut out early, or the balls are cleared at the first opportunity, then Lindelöf isn't even put into a position where he's 1v1. So, in reality, it's a team error and not solely Lindelöf's fault. The unfortunate effect of this is that it's reflected in the scoreline. It now says Southampton 1 - Manchester United 1.

The reality is that the real problems are at the other end of the pitch. The scoreline doesn't say how many crosses were overhit, or how many chances were fluffed, or how Rashford didn't stay in the dangerous areas, or how we didn't really behind Southampton or stretch them. It doesn't say any of that. The defence are being punished before they conceded a goal, but really we are punished because a Manchester United team couldn't score more than 1 goal against a Southampton side with 10 men.

Reactions: Dargonk

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It said a lot about this United team that when they needed goals and someone to make something happen they sub on.....Lingard....

I have doubts he would even start in Braga he truly is that bad.

Lingard and Abdoulay Diaby (Shocking Sporting player) Give me hope I can still go pro one day:lol::lol:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
What is worrying is that we are only four games into the season, and already our lack of depth is telling. When chasing or trying to change a game, our attacking sub options are Chong, Greenwood and Lingard. Two kids and a player who is more often praised for his movement than attacking ability. This is hardly a great situation. Add to that we also only have Matic as a midfield sub, who isn't a player you bring on to create more attacking play.

This is going to be a very long season unfortunately, where if things don't go well for us in the first 60 minutes, then we are more than likely to drop points.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 529 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd