PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Mon, 13 July 2020

Icemav

I thought Martial was very good.

But yes, him and Rashford really do waste chances. Alot of them.

Greenwood was invisible too. We would have been better off taking him out earlier and putting another central midfielder/workhorse in. That way we wouldn't have conceded so much possession.
Not sure it would have helped. At the end we combined an inability to retain possession (hoofball) with a lack of intelligence with how to break up their play. We were chasing shadows like it was Pep's Barcelona. I know fatigue played a part but it reminded me of the type of ineffective stuff that we were doing earlier in the season.

Cypherage

AWB's defending seems to be questionable as of late, he has looked really clumsy or wobbly at times, but in general, United lacked any real puff tonight, looked laboured at times, Saints lucky to finish with 11 men, United unlucky to finish with 10 men, but fair result really, Pogba & Bruno also poor by there standards tonight.

Nick7

Understat have us 1.5 vs 1.81 xG for that match, which instinctively feels wrong, given the misses for Martial twice and Rashford. Felt like we should have been up by a couple of goals headed into stoppage time.

Not particularly disappointed with he performance. Never thought we were going to win every game to end the season, but we have a real tough week now to bounce back in. With Palace on Thursday and Chelsea on Sunday. We’ll be favourites for both, I guess, but it’s going to be a real hard week and one that could well define our season.
shows you why xG and xGA are completely and utterly useless stats

freddie the red

Predictable fail, did zero after second goal and Martial's whole United career summed up in one game....brilliant and terrible in 90 minutes.
Gutting display and a last second equaliser feels like a defeat.
Cundy crowing on talksport doesn't help either :mad:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Subs were wrong. Pogba was having an inconsistent game but was a threat for both goals, while Bruno misplaced almost everything. It should have been Pogba at 10 with Fred behind him replacing Bruno. And Rashford and Martial were dead, at least one needed to be taken off.

They were very disciplined and energetic.

e - lots of hate for Lindelof who was almost single-handedly keeping them out for long stretches, outfought for the goal but he was a big reason they hadn't scored more.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Think OGS got selection and tactics wrong.

Our midfield play was generally way too slow, surely because of player fatigue and wrong selected players. Should have started Fred instead of Pogba. Maybe also McT instead of Greenwood. Play a MF diamond set up to nullify their press.

Pogba really struggled against the energetic press, conceding ball too regularly which gave Southampton impetus, confidence and ultimately the opening goal.

Fatigue then played a massive issue in final 10 mins, and again OGS messed up with not using a sub.

Though we made enough chances to win and Rashford cost us the win by missing the open goal.

We now also have a left back issue for next games.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He wasn't. It's his fault we lost. Basic defending. You can't let a man get goal side on you on a corner.
You don't don't give away needless corners, you don't lose the first header. As soon as someone wins a flick on in the box, all preparation goes to shit.

BlueHaze

What a surprise, pressure on to win and these jokers crumble as per usual. Who would have thought? If we fail to qualify for the CL with how terrible Chelsea and Leicester have been recently then we will never make it. Bottling clowns.

Chairman Steve

Feck me that was infuriating.

At least it’s a point gained and I’d rather our last three games over Chelseas and Leicesters.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I've had enough now I've already explained how it was explained to me. You might be allowed 5 sub players but you can't make 5 different rounds of changes - think it is 3 times during the game you can plus possibly a free one at half time if you choose to use it.

Some of the rest of the comments in this thread post game are fecking bonkers - think i will give these threads a miss when we don't win a game.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Tried too many quick passes when there were no need for that. So many opportunities missed.
Shaw's injury is unfortunate and then Brandon came on and got injured too. You couldn't make this up.

Rodgerzzz

We had chances to kill the game but Soton looked much better than anything else we've come up against since the restart. A slip up was inevitable at some point, just hope this focuses them for the last 3 games.

Wayne's World

Tough watch that, we look shattered and now there's huge pressure going into the Palace game....

We didn't deserve to win that, sat too deep and got punished rightly

Toddler

Too many passengers today.

Dreadfull midfield; Fernandes, wow quite a drop. Absolutely horrific game from him, how many simple passes missed? Pogbas first 20, unexcusable. Matic, when pressed always too slow as in todays match.

Front three, or should i say two saved us( Rashford and Martial). Greenwood didnt get into the game because our midfield could not play a pass today.

Defence. Awb, second game in a row where he is a liability. A rest perhaps? Lindelof, what can i say? Keeps making those mistakes. Shaw good.

All in all, a bad game. Next one.

simplyared

Why did he take Pogba off? Ok it wasn't his greatest performance but you cannot replace our most creative/skillful player with someone who brings absolutely nothing to the table and has zero initiativ. That's where we lost the game!! Horrendous tactics!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Thought we were passed sitting back and inviting pressure onto ourselves. Bitterly disappointing to go down to 10 men as well. We pissed away some really good chances to put the game to bed too which is the most frustrating part. Sometimes we don't need to pass it round the back for half an hour, Maguire and Lindelof properly took the piss tonight trying to play out from the back. Speaking of Maguire, he looks like he's still not come back after the break, looks terrified anytime he has to do any defending. Wan-Bissaka's handed his worst performance of the season.

Huge blow is that we're likely without a LB against Palace. I don't think we can afford to not play our best 11, the squad filler just aren't anywhere near good enough, having no one to bring on for Pogba or Fernandes cost us all our creativity and basically gave Southampton a free run at goal constantly for the last 15.

We played Southampton at a really bad time, we haven't had the chance to rest anyone and our team looked absolutely gassed. I know Pogba was tired but we couldn't afford to take him off, we completely lost control of the game when we did.

Still, that was by far the hardest game we had left and due to Leicester's implosion and Chelsea's loss we still made up ground on them, top 4 is still in our hands, we can't let this get to us and clear our heads for Palace. We suffered a set back but good teams deal with that by winning their next game.

Anybody's Guess

AWB is such a disappointing footballer. Could not contain Redmond, or anything else for that matter. Contributes almost nothing going forward and a passenger in defence. Whilst the consensus here is that Shaw contributes more to the offense, it's alarming that AWB probably has more assists between the two. Both players really need to work on their final ball.

Ole has problems given the fact that the whole team looks really fatigued.

The steep drop in quality of our bench is currently the biggest reason for why this team is not ready to mount a serious challenge for top honours.

acnumber9

We conceded two today.

I maintain that Bailly is the better defender, especially when he gets a run of matches going. Just so much more assured and stronger than Lindelof.
Bailly is a terrible defender. The last time we seen him he was giving away a penalty rather than just letting the ball go out for a corner.

Decade long lurker

It’s a kick in the balls. But I’d have taken being level with Leicester at 8 o’clock last night. Need to regroup for palace now. We still have it in our own hands

Eire Red United

Only saw the last 20 mins. Playing as though were were 4-1 up not 2-1 up and only one team wanted it from what I could see. That run from Martial was brilliant just a shame about the finish. Poor defending all round for the equaliser. Good wake up call and hopefully see improvement now for next few games.

Pennywise

Burnley at home level of performance. Absolutely dreadful stuff. Shows how poor the squad is though. The subs are a huge drop in quality from the first 11

norm87cro

Pogba wasn't the bad decision but Bruno was. I can understand Ole's thinking but it wasn't Rio and Vidic back there and we paid the price. It's still in our hands and that's all that matters

Havak

Pokemon master
Unlucky. Frustrating.

Had a few chances to make it 3-1 and didn't take them.

Romeu should have been sent off. Unfortunate to go down to 10 men through injury.

Got to beat Palace missing two fullbacks.

MalcolmTucker

Martial is not a centre forward. It's no good scoring one if you are going to waste three other easy opportunities.
You're the weirdo who tried to say Gary Neville was racist because he wondered who was the quickest out of our front 3 and now you're saying Martial isn't a centre forward when he was the best player on the pitch :lol:

Are you wired wrong or something?

Shiva87

So disappointed. We should have won that but very unlucky at the end.

We need to pick ourselves up and get prepared for the next game. Chelsea and Leicester will both drop more points but we need to be sure that we don't!

saivet

Poor performance where a draw was a fair result.

I do think it has been coming somewhat, against Villa we got a lucky break with the penalty and against Bournemouth we started sloppy. In both games it felt more like moments of brilliance won us the games rather than them being great all round performances. Maintaining performance level and results was never going to be easy but still confident for top 4.

Josep Dowling

Why did we stop attacking from the 60th minute? We invited unnecessary pressure and paid the price.

It feels like a loss. Chelsea and Leicester will be buzzing.
Exactly. Not sure why Ole took off both Pogba and Bruno. I hate it when I see a team try to shut up shop. I feel like it never works.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 3:0 Southampton
  • 20% Man Utd 3:1 Southampton