PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 9:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 February 2021

Rustyspider13

Well, that was almost worth the misery of last week. Been a while since I saw a proper demolition handed out at OT. Fantastic from the players, every one of them did well. Special mention to the fullbacks who were both exceptional.

Don't feel sorry for Southampton at all, they've got Romeu on their pay roll. The penalty and red card by the letter of the law is right. Contact, engineered or otherwise, is still contact with no attempt at the ball. Don't like seeing Martial try that, but it is what it is. What shocked me was the 3 minutes, blatant case of refs just doing whatever they want.

Member 90887

I don't know what worse for them, 9-0 or Daniel James scoring.

Enjoyable game. No pressure at all.

Devil may care

Needed that! We sauced all over them tonight, the emphatic nature of how we despatched them was what was so pleasing, we put our foot on their throat and never let up. The fullbacks tonight were superb.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I remember watching United huff and puff to a 1-1 draw against 10 men at Southampton last season. Was great to see us tear them apart tonight. We have grown so much in a short space of time.

Alemar

MotM candidates are:
Shaw (fantastic 45 minutes and 2 assists)
Martial (2 goals)
Bruno (1+2)

Siorac

although its marvellous for the confidence of our attack.
It was worth it just for the way Martial kept attacking every ball in the end, trying to get on every single pass or cross. Next step is to do it when the opponent has 11 men on the pitch, Tony.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Apparently, MOTD are just going to show the full game because they don't have time for the highlights.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Went Tony for MoM, I've been his harshest critique but he came on and dispatched two goals incredibly well.

Shaw tied for it too but went to Tony.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Well done lads, well deserved. So annoying how everyone thought the world caved in after a dull big game performance. We are not perfect but we have certainly progressed as an outfit under Ole... without a doubt the best United side since Fergie's IMO.

Hester_manc

I wonder, how the young 19 years old Jankewitz is going to sleep tonight? This is terrible for him. His teammates will be furious at him. He's never going to forget his first start in the Premier League - that's for sure. I hope they help him up again.

Superunknown

3 poor decisions in the game though.

1. We should've got a PK in the 1st half.
2. Soton's disallowed goal when we were 4-0 up.
3. Soton's second red for the PK.
I agree, but none of that is on us. We have no control over the refs and their idiocy.

It all went wrong for Southampton. You can't legislate for a stupid tackle like that right at the start of the game. That was a terrible start. They were already out of the game before the first real contentious decision, the extra bits just piled on the hurt.

RORY65

I mean that was just really fun apart from VAR being terrible again. It was good to see us go for the jugular against a team that sat in (obviously the early red card conditions the game) and be ruthless throughout. 9-0 :lol:

Siorac

Not sure about that. We only scored 4 in the half that Shaw was there, then got 5 in the half that Fred played there. I think that's undisputable evidence that Fred is our best leftback.
Shit, you're right. Numbers don't lie.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Disallowed Greenwood goal, early whistle blown. Totally corrupt refereeing, the whole lot are against us.

OrcaFat

Poor Ralph, could have been so different if they just pressed our right back a bit more.

Not exactly a fair fight but I loved seeing them get spanked. They never were any good.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The pundits seem furious that we scored nine goals. Not really sure as to why.
Because it was all down to refereeing decisions and VAR obviously :rolleyes:
Never mind a shocking challenge that could have seriously injured a player and as a result put his team in serious trouble.

dablem_10

8 different scorers for us
shaw and wan bissaka could practice croses in match and both had nice assists book to their stat
rash and shaw are rested to next 7 february matches
bruno could score and assist, he will get some boost
even bigger boost for anthony, even again 10 and 9 man, still could kick him on to the rest of the season
clean sheet
goal difference is back among best in league
we are BEST scoring team this season, where it was last time after more than half season? SAF?

was quite sad for soton, they are symphatic team with good coach and they had troubles with players missing. VAR cancelled their regular goal and bednarek got quite unfair red to me. What a debut for the guy, he is now 5th quickest sent off player in PL history. Perhaps first career debutant in PL got it as well. Quite cruel shower for them

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Disagree. Still, after their red card they should be able to sustain defensive structure for some time. We moved the ball very well today, and that is we take from this. My god that felt good!
Cant argue with that. Didnt intend for my post to be a downer. Im obviously delighted

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ever since Hattenhuttle started crying against beating Liverpool it has gone sour for him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’m honestly a bit speechless.

jesskan60

That's was crazy.
VAR was laughable, nick picking on millimeters on both team.
Martial doesn't dive, he's anticipating the contact, Rooney and countless players were doing that.
Feel bad for Hasenhüttl, so unlucky with VAR.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It was worth it just for the way Martial kept attacking every ball in the end, trying to get on every single pass or cross. Next step is to do it when the opponent has 11 men on the pitch, Tony.
It was very pleasing to see us still hunting goals for 93 minutes. Could have easily sat on 4-0

Irwinning

Delighted as a United fan for 9-0, especially after perpetual tight games, usually against weaker opposition.

Dismayed as a football fan that Martial was not given a yellow card for simulation on our penalty.

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton