PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 9:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 February 2021

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm more pleased with how both of our fullbacks finally up to the standard of big team.

tomaldinho1

I'm more pleased with how both of our fullbacks finally up to the standard of big team.
Let's wait to see them against a full team of 11
All it will take is an Everton goal from anywhere on the right hand side of the pitch (even if it has nothing to do with AWB) and the AWB haters will resurface!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Bednarek's just had his red card rescinded.
It was never a foul when you watched the replay's back.
Martial should have been booked for simulation.
I'm pleased for him, he did his best to not touch Martial, but his foot caught Martial's foot/ankle after Martial had dragged his own leg. If the FA are going to clamp down on this behaviour, then yellow cards must be given retrospectively for acts of cheating, I wouldn't be against him getting a yellow provided the FA started doing this on every debatable penalty, or red yellow cards.
This is a trend which is more and more common, any player getting into the area now seem to look for penalties rather than going for goal. The FA really need to make an example of players that blatantly cheat by changing their direction of travel and bumping into the defender and falling over, also leaving their leg dragging behind them and instigating contact, and again falling over.
In my opinion, there were two mistakes in the first penalty incident, firstly the referee should not have blown so quickly, the assistant referee's are told not to flag untill the offside player has attempted to score, so the referee's should let play continue, which some do, to see if the team who have suffered the foul get a advantage, which we did, and secondly, the VAR deemed that it was outside the area, which initially it was, but it continued at least onto the line, so should have been a penalty, which was confirmed by Peter Walton in the studio.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
All it will take is an Everton goal from anywhere on the right hand side of the pitch (even if it has nothing to do with AWB) and the AWB haters will resurface!
The De Gea, AWB, Lindelof, Bailly, Maguire, Shaw, Matic, Fred, McTominay, Pogba, Bruno, VDB, Greenwood, Martial and Rashford haters will be out in force anyway, they don't need much to start them of.
Regarding the attacking full backs comments, Shaw has been making a lot of forward runs and getting in some great crosses since Telles has arrived, and I've noticed that over the past four or five games, AWB has been attacking a lot more, he set up chances against Liverpool and Arsenal which on another day could have gone in, so they have both done this against 11.

Ole'sattheWheel

Terrible foul and they got what they deserved. Also does anyone know why the ref didn't allow the Greenwood goal which was brought back for a pen, then ultimately free kick? Did he blow the whistle too early?
Oh yeah, I remember this happening at the time and thinking "ohwell its a Bruno pen so we'll score anyway".

It's annoying because he called the foul since it was a pen, where refs generally don't give advantage - fair enough but whatever. But then for it to turn out as a free kick instead of a pen basically meant that the ref didn't play an advantage when we had a greenwood 1on1 in the box.

I think because the VAR decision took so long everyone just sort of forgot mason buried it

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Terrible foul and they got what they deserved. Also does anyone know why the ref didn't allow the Greenwood goal which was brought back for a pen, then ultimately free kick? Did he blow the whistle too early?
Damned if he does and dammed If he doesn’t!

I thought penalty as soon as the tackle went in and I’m sure Dean did too. Split second judgement call

adamwest

I keep having to pinch myself when I think that we won a game 9-0. It was such a weird game as well - we weren't even that good :houllier:

Withnail

Yet, all we can do is try to win one game at a time.

And I think Klopp and Pep have at some time or other tried to downplay title talks very early in the season
Every manager in every team sport does it.

It's how you keep a team focused on the job at hand. You can't let the players get distracted by what might happen at the end of the season.

You stay in the title race by ensuring you stay focused and give 100% in the next match.

RedDevil@84

Every manager in every team sport does it.

It's how you keep a team focused on the job at hand. You can't let the players get distracted by what might happen at the end of the season.

You stay in the title race by ensuring you stay focused and give 100% in the next match.
Yes of course. That is what my point was.

Crimson King

Bednarek's just had his red card rescinded.
It was never a foul when you watched the replay's back.
Martial should have been booked for simulation.
To book him for diving would have been incredibly harsh. You can argue whether you thought it was a penalty or not, but going down under slight contact isn't the same as diving. The Chelsea penalty in the game tonight was heavily exaggerated by Werner, but it's still hard to argue it's not a pen. It's just part of the game, whether we like it or not.

If you book Martial there then you'd have to start booking defenders every time they do that thing where they throw themselves to the ground as soon as they're put under any pressure when facing their own goal. That annoys the feck out of me and it's never called out.

tayside red

To book him for diving would have been incredibly harsh. You can argue whether you thought it was a penalty or not, but going down under slight contact isn't the same as diving. The Chelsea penalty in the game tonight was heavily exaggerated by Werner, but it's still hard to argue it's not a pen. It's just part of the game, whether we like it or not.

If you book Martial there then you'd have to start booking defenders every time they do that thing where they throw themselves to the ground as soon as they're put under any pressure when facing their own goal. That annoys the feck out of me and it's never called out.
If we were playing Citeeh and the score was 0-0 say, and Stirling or Mahrez went down like AT did we'd be going nuts.
I don't like any of the simulation, diving, making a back for the opposing player to fall over and then getting the foul for bending over, pulling and tugging in the box.
Players who kid on they've been hit with a sledgehammer when a palm or arm touches their face is another awful part of our game that needs rectifying.
The offside rule is crazy. Sooner or later a player is going to get injured making a tackle on a player that is offside but the assistant ref is waiting for the move to break down before flagging. Bad rule.
The VAR debate is a whole can of worms, a bit like Brexit.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't think it's hate with AWB. It's just sometimes he made such basic errors as footballer/defender. And i believe the blaming game of any goal usually extend to DDG and others also.

Scholes_boi

Oh yeah, I remember this happening at the time and thinking "ohwell its a Bruno pen so we'll score anyway".

It's annoying because he called the foul since it was a pen, where refs generally don't give advantage - fair enough but whatever. But then for it to turn out as a free kick instead of a pen basically meant that the ref didn't play an advantage when we had a greenwood 1on1 in the box.

I think because the VAR decision took so long everyone just sort of forgot mason buried it
Yeah that's what I thought too, thinking cool time for Bruno to get on the scoresheet. Was gutted when it was brought back for a free kick. Mike Dean made an error there not giving the advantage. Then again he thought it was an obvious foul in the penalty box so there's that. Would have liked Greenwood to get on the sheet but oh well, at least he got an assist.

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton