PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 9:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 February 2021

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
So I watched this again last night. We weren't that great for most of the first 20 minutes until AWB scored in the 19th. On fire for the rest of the first half, though.

Same again in the second half, only getting two more goals in the next 35-40 minutes but relatively dominant in fairness. Exploding in the last 3-5 minutes to end up with 9.

Crazy performance. During the quieter spells we did give Southampton chances.

USREDEVIL

So I watched this again last night. We weren't that great for most of the first 20 minutes until AWB scored in the 19th. On fire for the rest of the first half, though.

Same again in the second half, only getting two more goals in the next 35-40 minutes but relatively dominant in fairness. Exploding in the last 3-5 minutes to end up with 9.

Crazy performance. During the quieter spells we did give Southampton chances.
It was one way traffic. We weren't amazing all the time but clinical when we did have the chance. They should probably have scored 1 or 2 though as you say they had some good chances here and there.

dev1l

Yesterday Greenwood was excellent despite not scoring. His all round game has improved.
If he continues to develop, he may be part of the solution for our right wing woes.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It was one way traffic. We weren't amazing all the time but clinical when we did have the chance. They should probably have scored 1 or 2 though as you say they had some good chances here and there.
They had four pretty good chances. Ward-Prowse's shot that went wide and his excellent free kick in the first half. The disallowed goal and the howler of a miss in the second.

big rons sovereign

:lol: :lol:
The agenda is strong on this one.
No agenda, just calling him out. He's been at it for a while.
Every corner Southampton got they put a man straight on de gea and dropped the ball on him, knowing that he can't deal with it.
Teams will be looking at sheff United last week and thinking, yeah, that's the key.
Southampton even scored at his near post twice in the reverse fixture.
If I'm a coach, I'm instructing my team to do just that.

big rons sovereign

What are you talking about? Adams shot went in on the far post, an excellent finish after Fred whiffed second chance, DDG had the near post covered like he should have. Had absolutely every right to go ballistic at people dozing off on yet another freekick. Watch it again, Rashford even has his back to the ball when they take it and Fred just wasn't ready for it as he should have been covering Adams at the end. It was all very casual.
He doesn't even try to stop it, it goes straight through him to the far post and he just sticks a foot out as is the norm with him these days.

RedDevil@84

How the hell is the average rating 7.6? What the hell do you guys want :houllier: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
High standards and bias.

DDG made one save. Besides, he is overrated by my fellow fans. So 6/10.
Lindelof didn't make any last min dives. But he is generally very passive. So 6/10
Maguire did better than Lindelof. Again, no last min dives. 7/10
AWB, Shaw did fine. So 8/10

Something of that sort.

slored1

High standards and bias.

DDG made one save. Besides, he is overrated by my fellow fans. So 6/10.
Lindelof didn't make any last min dives. But he is generally very passive. So 6/10
Maguire did better than Lindelof. Again, no last min dives. 7/10
AWB, Shaw did fine. So 8/10

Something of that sort.
Bizzare, I gave everyone a 10/10 as they did their job perfectly. No complaints and gave them a total battering.

Jeffthered

It's difficult to really, cleary quantify that match... it was most bizarre. I'm pleased we scored loads of goals... hopefully we will not be so nervous playing at home, but I still think we will revert to type... Southampton seemed to fall apart, and that's simply embarrasing. We are not 9-0 better than anyone in the Prem, and Southampton are not a team that should be losing 9-0. It's daft. I actually switched over at half-time. Strange thing is, I have no idea whether this will have any impact on our performances or season in any way. Did you see the Wolves Arsenal game? It's all nuts... was I the only one thinking this? This whole season is wacky, and I have no idea why OGS doesn't make a statement (internally to players..) that this is our year? because I do not feel he has, you can see it... he is always pensive and hopeful, and it filters through the team. We do not seem convinced that we CAN win this crazy league. I just think it's an opportunity we cannot miss.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's difficult to really, cleary quantify that match... it was most bizarre. I'm pleased we scored loads of goals... hopefully we will not be so nervous playing at home, but I still think we will revert to type... Southampton seemed to fall apart, and that's simply embarrasing. We are not 9-0 better than anyone in the Prem, and Southampton are not a team that should be losing 9-0. It's daft. I actually switched over at half-time. Strange thing is, I have no idea whether this will have any impact on our performances or season in any way. Did you see the Wolves Arsenal game? It's all nuts... was I the only one thinking this? This whole season is wacky, and I have no idea why OGS doesn't make a statement (internally to players..) that this is our year? because I do not feel he has, you can see it... he is always pensive and hopeful, and it filters through the team. We do not seem convinced that we CAN win this crazy league. I just think it's an opportunity we cannot miss.
We were 9-0 better than them and that was proved.
Enough of the crap about what was deserved or not. They were cut apart after the sending off and that was that. We earned the win by not taking the foot off the pedal. Too many posters over analysing it and not enjoying it

RedDevil@84

Yet, all we can do is try to win one game at a time.

And I think Klopp and Pep have at some time or other tried to downplay title talks very early in the season

giggslover

This result doesn't mean that much to me. They were a man down for almost the whole game. They had to have been exhausted by the middle of the 2nd half and that's when our goals seemed to start coming fast and furious.

I think all the results yesterday ended up being in United's favor. Despite their current league position, Arsenal may have still been considered as a top 6 challenger due to their name, history and current form, but as of now I consider both Arsenal and Southampton out of the running for potential top 6 spot.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Never in doubt obviously, plenty of good performances but not the most difficult of days to be honest.

I felt bad for Southampton near the end, and I thought it was pretty shameful of Martial to dive at 6-0 up. Didn't they get rid of the red card for last-man-fouls resulting in penalty when it isn't violent conduct or whatever they call it?
Yes I seem to remember this. At one point of time, it was a big talking point and close attention was paid to it.

Now that public opinion and discussion have shifted over to something else, the match officials are done thinking long and hard about decisions like these. Typical reactive match officiating. Football officiating is a big mess and has not caught up to the higher standards that the game at the top level has reached.

jackal&hyde

Was a close game for the first minute
:lol:

I love reading this thread. Regardless of personal opinions on individual players, manager, etc this is a rare moment where everyone is enjoying the moment and supporting the team. Most football fans never get the chance to see their team destroy another with such a score line, so this is truly a night to remember.

Manoucha09

As good a performance as we could have wished for last night. What impressed me the most was our attitude, from our manager right down to the last player. The attacking mentality which we haven't seen since the Fergie days. Admittedly, we were up against 10 men for basically the whole game, but I'm sure every manager we've had since Sir Alex would have gone for a 2~3 nil result and 'conserve' energy. The changes at half time showed that Ole wanted us playing on the front foot and our player delivered.

Martial had a great game. Not just his goals, but his constant movement and pressing was refreshing to see. I wouldn't write him off just yet though I'd love to know what happens for him to go through his barren spells (seems to be a mental thing to me).

Fred is a worry for me. He's got bundles of energy and will give his all every game, but he makes too many small mistakes which give the opposition a chance. Tbf he was playing out of position second half, but any Southampton threat came down his side. Definitely not a left back.

I hope we keep this attitude up, especially when playing at home. We never really put Sheffield United under any pressure; hopefully this game shows us the way to go starting with Everton.

I think we're still in the running for the league. Here's hoping for some surprise results tonight!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'm loving all the media whinging about refs and VAR all of a sudden. Funny how the topic always seems to be brought up when we win and get a pen.

RedDevil@84

So Southampton is asking they don't want Mike Dean and Lee Mason in their games.
Can we ask for Atkinson, Dean, Jon Moss, Kevin Friend etc etc., all to be removed from our games.

Zen86

I’d have felt bad for most teams being on the receiving end of a 9-0, but I seem to remember Hassenhutl being a bit of an arse after our last game with them.

I’m sure that wasn’t lost on Ole, considering our bench was urging more goals and the entire team was getting in on the free for all. It was wonderful stuff.

mu4c_20le

Woke up all feeling like

Amazing what a football result can do for you

dpansheth

Great result for our GD. Everton game will show if the SHU, ARS was just a blip or if we’ve got wider issues, we can’t really read into this game that much but hopefully it has done wonders for the confidence of players like Martial and AWB
“First real test of Ole”

OldTrevil

Watching that game, as soon as a decimated Southampton go down to 10 men they're fully shattered. It wasn't even close to the normal case of a team getting a red and putting on resolute defense that make you doubt about taking advantage of numerical advantage. It was a clear case of when and not if United would score. I expected a low percentage cross to ricochet off of a hopeless soton player into their own net as a first goal, due to how disjointed their positioning and movement were.

Credit to the team for doing the right thing sporting-wise and not feel sorry for a extremely weakened opposition, and the forwards for playing sensibly and not going for their usual solo binges and shooting from silly angles.

Special mention to AWB for his constantly improving attacking output and continued knack for finding his teammates with good crosses. McT for his ever more surprising good shooting technique. Martial for his continued selflessness and constantly giving his teammates a passing option all over while he rarely gets supply, ending his goal drought with a world class goal and in the process showing, contrary to some on the caf, that he's a professional footballer and is capable of shooting with the top of his foot :lol:. And for reminding me with his second, the sumptuous equalizing goal at Chelsea I think in Jose's era, where he controlled a fast moving ball into the box on his thigh, and expertly half-volleyed it into the bottom left corner on a turn.

spiriticon

Yeah after 3 minutes of the game, I knew it was going to be at least 3 or 4 nil.

9-0 though is a bit of a complete meltdown on their side

Cantonagotmehere

Yesterday Greenwood was excellent despite not scoring. His all round game has improved.
If he continues to develop, he may be part of the solution for our right wing woes.
Agree, he was great. He needs to start every 'big' game. I still would sign a RW because we need more competition up front, but Greenwood will play a huge part.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
When was the last time a team conceded the same amount of goals, as the number of players they had on the field?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Definitely.
And I just loved McTominay goal. He hits them hard and low which is not at all easy.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
They did have chances but isn't it normal to lose focus here and there in a game like this?

Scholes_boi

Terrible foul and they got what they deserved. Also does anyone know why the ref didn't allow the Greenwood goal which was brought back for a pen, then ultimately free kick? Did he blow the whistle too early?

tayside red

Bednarek's just had his red card rescinded.
It was never a foul when you watched the replay's back.
Martial should have been booked for simulation.

Wal2Fra

Bednarek's just had his red card rescinded.
It was never a foul when you watched the replay's back.
Martial should have been booked for simulation.
It is a clear penalty, even if Martial manufactured the contact, there is ultimately still contact and it is a foul. However, under the rules as I understood them, I thought it should have just been a yellow card as the outcome is a penalty and therefore the clear goal scoring opportunity is still present.

Anyway Bednarek was having a stinker and with him on the pitch we would have got 10. Mike Dean probably did them a favour by that point!

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton