PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 9:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 February 2021

Hughes35

Exactly what we needed to get over the last couple of games. The early red killed the game but we took full advantage.

If we want to have any sort of a challenge, we need to go on another winning run now and be close to City by the time we play them.

Jonno

This result is already feeling underrated. Teams play against ten men all the time, yet how often do you see a mauling like this? It's easier said than done. We took them to pieces. Relentless.

We'll have gone back to the dressing room annoyed we didn't get double figures.
Agree! We literally saw 2 red cards in the game before us, and you didn't see Wolves banging 9 past Arsenal

We didn't get the praise we deserved, and BT were more interested in discussing a VAR decision, that quite frankly was harsh, but didn't impact who won the game, we were already destroying them left right and centre, yet they talk for what, a good 20 mins about the double jeopardy rule. Disgrace. Why not talk about the lovely 9 goals scored?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I'm back to not watching again lads! Great goals though on the replay! McTommabanger!

Northstand

9 shots on goal, 9 goals scored. Sometimes statistics are beautiful. :)

Fun fact: Southamptons xG was almost exactly the same as the last time we played them (0.50 then, 0.51 now).
Fourteen shots on target according to the BBC stats.

justsomebloke

Fourteen shots on target according to the BBC stats.
You're right, apologies! So much for the beauty of statistics. :) I wrote that from memory after looking at the stats at game's end, I must have forgotten to refresh the page I suppose. Very negligent of me.

tayside red

Yeah well, in shots statistics it isn't. Fortunately, as it would considerably decrease the information value of that stat for no good reason. There's other statistics that tells you about headers, if you need to know about that. In effect, the stat shows attempts that would have gone in if a player hadn't stopped it. They could have called this something other than "shots on target", but it's not really very complicated to understand?

No idea what "VAR explanation" has to do with this.
Your explanations are all too complicated for a mere mortal fan like myself, but I believe every word you say

what's the perfect hat trick nowadays ?

tomaldinho1

Great result for our GD. Everton game will show if the SHU, ARS was just a blip or if we’ve got wider issues, we can’t really read into this game that much but hopefully it has done wonders for the confidence of players like Martial and AWB

troylocker

Fantastic performance!
Only negative was the two shady ref decisions going our way (Disallowed goal and Pen/red card), but nothing we could do about it.

bsCallout

I know it is easy to say after a 9-0, but I think Bruno had one of his most complete games. He was playing a lot of simple one touch passes just to keep the ball moving, not overcomplicating things.

Really enjoyed seeing him play like that.

justsomebloke

Your explanations are all too complicated for a mere mortal fan like myself, but I believe every word you say

what's the perfect hat trick nowadays ?
No reason to be pissy about it. A statistical category needs a precise definition. That's something different than what people used to call things on training grounds. Once you understand the definition (it just requires looking it up, I had to too), it's perfectly simple.

Maticmaker

What a game! Not a lot you can offer criticism on, perhaps Martial should have had a hat-trick, Cavani at least one more...um!!
On the other hand grateful that Scott McTominay can still walk; that tackle by the Southampton youngster, probably over excited about making his first team debut at Old Trafford is equivalent to my daughters dog peeing himself when she takes down his lead and shouts 'walkies'.
Hope the lad can get over it. Imagine the treatment he would have got from the crowd in a full house OT, on that lonely walk to the dressing room?

Its amazing that BT Sport employs commentators/pundits who don't know the laws of the game... and they admit it on prime time TV!

Jonno

Fantastic performance!
Only negative was the two shady ref decisions going our way (Disallowed goal and Pen/red card), but nothing we could do about it.
To be fair, the failure to play advantage when Cavani was fouled was just as bad as their 2nd red. At least their 2nd red and their offside was to the letter of the law. To failure to play advantage when Cavani was fouled and Greenwood was left 1 on 1 with the keeper, was an awful bit of refereeing.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
To be fair, the failure to play advantage when Cavani was fouled was just as bad as their 2nd red. At least their 2nd red and their offside was to the letter of the law. To failure to play advantage when Cavani was fouled and Greenwood was left 1 on 1 with the keeper, was an awful bit of refereeing.
I agree advantage should have been played, but unfortunately Dean blew that quickly because he was convinced it was a penalty. VAR begged to differ.

norm87cro

We could have taken it easy after 6 0 but hey the Prem could be decided on goal difference. The 2nd red and penalty felt like already shooting a dead man. The ref could have shown some mercy to Southampton by that point.

justsomebloke

I thought the same. Although he did that to whistle a penalty, which VAR then subsequently cancelled. I suppose he wouldn't have done that if he thought it was a free kick, but then of course he should have let it continue and gone back to VAR to check for a penalty if Greenwood didn't score.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I'm a bit worried that social media is getting completely carried away with last nights hammering of Soton. Amazing result and great fir confidence (and the GD) but it wouldnt have been anything like that without the early sending off

And how anyone didnt vote for Scott for MOM is remarkable! After getting up from that horror tackle he literally ran the game. Superb performance, and MOM by a country mile!

big rons sovereign

I want to be that guy. For their offside goal, we got lucky but, it's a really bad sign, this is the 3rd time already this season we've been caught by quick freekicks. First Spurs goal and there was the other day when AWB got caught napping. We were a bit sloppy for Adam's other chance which he should have buried. Particularly happy that DDG was absolutely livid for both though, a clean sheet to him means as much all the goals the strikers were getting.

Other than that, what a damn performance, desire to actually keeping the foot on the gas. Luke Shaw and AWB were simply outstanding, Shaw in 45 min was my MOTM but, then again AWB did it for the full 90 and while Ings was offside, he wasn't to know and that was a brilliant tackle in the box.

Been saying for a bit, we need our strikers scoring and yes just one game but, hope they all kick on from here, if that happens, we stand a good chance to at least keep pace with City who don't look like they will drop many points from here on out.
De gea has no right kicking off at the disallowed goal, beaten at his near post again and rather than be a keeper and use his hands, he just stuck a pathetic leg out. Again.
I'm not saying he's solely responsible, but when's he gonna start doing his job?

Gator Nate

We needed that in so many ways.

Interesting thing to note: Ole subbed in Martial and VdB at the half. We didn't score another goal until after (69') he subbed in James at 60'. I'm not complaining, mind you, because Ole made the right call on the first two subs for sure. I though James came in a bit early, but at that point, it didn't matter. But the first substitutions seem to have disrupted the well-oiled machine for a bit and James' appearance seemed to set things aright again. Or maybe it's all just a coincidence.

Opinions: That second red should not have been a red but it was a foul. Martial was not diving - he was drawing a foul. Offensive players in all sports do it and defensive players in all sports are aware of this and have to adjust accordingly. But it seemed obvious that Bednarek was trying to bail on it and not make contact. (I thought the red on Luiz was harsh in the Wolves-Arsenal game, too. Clear pen, no red.)

I loved every goal. At first, I thought Martial's was a bit lucky, but it turned out it was the angle I first saw. When they showed it from behind the net... masterful! Control and intent. And Cavani's header, oh, my! So many of the goals were so intentionally set up with crosses or passes. Things of beauty, they were.

Dinghy

9 goals and none of them scored from a counter attack.

Shimo

De gea has no right kicking off at the disallowed goal, beaten at his near post again and rather than be a keeper and use his hands, he just stuck a pathetic leg out. Again.
I'm not saying he's solely responsible, but when's he gonna start doing his job?
What are you talking about? Adams shot went in on the far post, an excellent finish after Fred whiffed second chance, DDG had the near post covered like he should have. Had absolutely every right to go ballistic at people dozing off on yet another freekick. Watch it again, Rashford even has his back to the ball when they take it and Fred just wasn't ready for it as he should have been covering Adams at the end. It was all very casual.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
We win 9-0 and all the talk and attention is on whether the Martial incident was a pen or not. Awesome.

RedDevil@84

9 shots on goal, 9 goals scored. Sometimes statistics are beautiful. :)

Fun fact: Southamptons xG was almost exactly the same as the last time we played them (0.50 then, 0.51 now).
I don't think that stat is true. McCarthy did make several saves.

RedDevil@84

:lol: :lol:
The agenda is strong on this one.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I'm a bit worried that social media is getting completely carried away with last nights hammering of Soton. Amazing result and great fir confidence (and the GD) but it wouldnt have been anything like that without the early sending off

And how anyone didnt vote for Scott for MOM is remarkable! After getting up from that horror tackle he literally ran the game. Superb performance, and MOM by a country mile!
I have never seen Scott played this this before. Like Modric or Kroos. He was in total control and spreading the ball around.

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton