PL D FA Premier League

Southampton 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 August 2021

largelyworried

Out of interest, what lesson are we talking about?

If he’s just got to learn to choose all the right players, coach them all the right way, make sure they’re all fit, give them all the right tactical instructions and make sure they all follow the instructions, fully negate any qualities the opposition might have, ensure all our qualities are maximised and we create many chances, scoring from all of them and, of course, never concede, then sure, you’d think he might have learnt that by now.
What an absurd strawman.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The lack of intensity in our play after we equalized was baffling. Southampton must have been expecting to be under far more pressure with 35 minutes to go after we scored. Players strolling around. Why?
I couldn't get that. The game was there for them and they just strolled around. Got very sloppy again.

Gordon S

We knew we could smash teams like we did last game, what we needed to see was consistency. But no. Very flat performance all around.

Our midfield with Matic and Fred was diabolical, not a clue why, both can play much better. Would be awesome if we could get a cm in next week

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I thought the whole back 4 were poor on the ball, sloppy, slow, ponderous, lacking in urgency. Spread to the whole team. Quite the contrast from last week.

bonothom

It's been two games.
Bloody hell :lol:
This is a continuation since Ole's been there. United took 6 points from Southampton last season. Already they have dropped 2. If you want to win the title you have to be looking at 90 points. For United to have meekly given away 2 points already does not fill with my confidence of a sustained title challenge. If you are happy with a team that just aims for top 4 every year then yes you will be happy with a point at Southampton.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That is silly in itself. Someone like Varane, who has done and won it all or so, does NOT need time to settle in and to earn a start. I can understand the old need for playing 2 CDMs when we had Lindelof and Bailly as the other (brainfart-prone) CB, but that should be a relic of a distant past now.

Speaking of our midfield, the fact that we don't even play VDB when we need a creative spark is bordering criminal. Teams with ambitions are not afraid to go for the win even if that means risking a defeat on a counterattack or on a fluke goal. If VDB hands in a transfer request, I'd back him 110% because we currently have such a negligent manager at this moment.
Can only imagine after the Euros and with all the transfer stuff he's simply not ready.
Bet he's back in immediately next game though!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I truly am one of those who feel on top of the world when we start an opener in the fashion we did, but at the same time its 37 games ahead of us with different opposition. Get excited after smashing 5 past the first 5 perhaps? Massive exaggeration, but the comments after leeds were premature no?
Well, if there were people who genuinely thought we were in for a title challenge based on that game, then yeah - very premature. Leeds are great opposition for us as they showed last season. I'd be surrpised if there are any fans out there, no matter how optmistic and confident they are, who belive we don't have any wekaness in the midfield area, though. Nothing wrong with getting a bit carried away as a fan though, i guess. Even if it is a bit hasty!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I thought the whole back 4 were poor on the ball, sloppy, slow, ponderous, lacking in urgency. Spread to the whole team. Quite the contrast from last week.
Yep. People are keen to jump on Maguire, who had one insanely poor 5min spell as a particular lowlight. But Lindelof was at it as well in places. Gave a silly corner away one moment, dreadful pass to Matic letting them through on another occasion.

Still, only 2 games in, we didn't lose, and we look forward to the next one.
Need to win that one to say the least.

HailtotheKing

I think you’ve got to trust the manager to know when players are ready to start. It’s a Kong season. It’s easy to judge these things with the benefit of hindsight, but a manager has to pick a. Team ahead of time. Last last week when he selected James. There was a vitriolic reaction from online fans, we then romped to a 5-1 win. A manager has to go with what he sees in training and what he thinks will work, all things considered. I don’t have any real issues with his team selection today, but I am understandably disappointed with the performance. The XI he out was easily good enough to win, but individuals didn’t perform.

I am sure he wanted them to play with a higher tempo but perhaps fitness and opposition prevented it from being executed effectively.

AWB is clearly a superior player to Dalot. One disappointing game doesn’t change that. I think we are better off playing our first choice players into form and fitness, and you do that by having consistent selections.

As for VdB, he was shocking last season and hasn’t shown anything so far to warrant a place in the team. He’ll get his opportunities and he has to take them when they come and give the manager a selection headache. I maintain that it’s a long season. One draw shouldn’t result in a baby/bath water situation occurring.

I understand your frustration. It is shared after today’s performance.

You're being hysterical.
How has Vdb not shown anything to deserve a place in the team? He was one of the best players in the last game against Wolves and he excelled against Everton in the last preseason. He's bulked up and he's far more resistant to the press than Fred. He moves the ball quickly and makes intelligent runs. He absolutely deserved to be subbed in for Fred on that performance, especially having played really well with Matic in preseason. I can't believe Ole didn't bring him on. And then to compound things, he brings on Lingard and moves Pogba (our best creative player) back as a holding. The same Jessie Lingard who has only just got over Covid and barely trained. So, why couldn't Sancho have started then? Ole's loyalty to certain players is just unfathomable at times, as are his substitutions. And why switch Greenwood when he played so well up front against Leeds? I don't want Ole out. I think the players also share a lot of the blame for the performance today. So, so sloppy. But he doesn't do himself any favors.

Keefy18

That is silly in itself. Someone like Varane, who has done and won it all or so, does NOT need time to settle in and to earn a start. I can understand the old need for playing 2 CDMs when we had Lindelof and Bailly as the other (brainfart-prone) CB, but that should be a relic of a distant past now.

Speaking of our midfield, the fact that we don't even play VDB when we need a creative spark is bordering criminal. Teams with ambitions are not afraid to go for the win even if that means risking a defeat on a counterattack or on a fluke goal. If VDB hands in a transfer request, I'd back him 110% because we currently have such a negligent manager at this moment.
It has sweet fa to do with "earning" a spot, he was in quarantine and couldn't train with the team due to image rights (modern football :houllier:) His first training session was 5 days ago.

VDB playing or not wasn't the issue today, we had 65% possession with 15 chances, only 4 on target however. We seriously missed Cavani today. He starts and we win comfortably for me.

Amazing all the football managerial geniuses that come out of the woodwork after any result that triggers a temper tantrum from man children.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
It has sweet fa to do with "earning" a spot, he was in quarantine and couldn't train with the team due to image rights (modern football :houllier:) His first training session was 5 days ago.

VDB playing or not wasn't the issue today, we had 65% possession with 15 chances, only 4 on target however.

Amazing all the football managerial geniuses that come out of the woodwork after any result that triggers a temper tantrum from man children.
Amen.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Out of interest, what lesson are we talking about?

If he’s just got to learn to choose all the right players, coach them all the right way, make sure they’re all fit, give them all the right tactical instructions and make sure they all follow the instructions, fully negate any qualities the opposition might have, ensure all our qualities are maximised and we create many chances, scoring from all of them and, of course, never concede, then sure, you’d think he might have learnt that by now.
If I was somehow miraculously given the opportunity to offer Ole one piece of advice it would be “Stop telling the boys to pass out from the back. They are shit at it & it fecks us in the ass time & time again. Thanks for 99 anyway have a good one”

Jacob

I'm a bit annoyed that Cavani's extended leave cost us the win. We'd no doubt win if he was playing instead of Martial.

jesperjaap

Weird game as we had enough possesion and chances created to have stuffed them. Feel if we had of scored any of these to go ahead we may have trounced them like we did Leeds.....but

It was still like a lot of our performances. Too slow movign the ball at the back, strugglign at the back against a press, not lookign orgnaised at the back, midfield bypassed to easily and also unable to move the ball fast enough around midfield and again totally reliant on magic from Pogba or Fernandes or a Greenwood finish to get anythign from the game.

Pogba had a very good game.....though he should have taken one of his chances, Greenwood got that goal with one of his worst strikes, Fernandes doesnt have the excuse of tiredness...he seems to me exempt from criticism from many on here due to his work rate, stats and magic moments and improvement of the team. DOnt think he was awful today but he was inconsistant on the ball and gave it away too easily at times....including there goal. but we have two main problems for me, inconsistent perofrmances individually and as a side....but the big one is sortin gout our central midfield, until that is improved, we simply wont close the gap domestically or in EUrope and despite our finishing league position, CHelsea are imprving hugely and Liverpool lets be honest suffered from injuries last season.

We have made two excellent signings but we definatley need one more in central midfield (I always wanted two and still would but we probably wont even sign one which his criminal)

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Well it might well be placed well. But we can't judge that until those 2 have actually started a game or two.
It doesn't help that Cavani is out either, and we're trying to rehab a player like Martial who had a dreadful last year.
Yeah his confidence is shot. A couple of good game and goals and he could come good. There I go with that optimism again :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah his confidence is shot. A couple of good game and goals and he could come good. There I go with that optimism again :lol:
It'll be the league cup soon. He can get his magic back then.

Or the weaker opponents in the champions league.

bollytrogg

Bissouma and Neves together would anchor our midfield for years and I feel would be such a massive upgrade on Matic and Fred ( he can’t retain possession meaning we have no rhythm in the game) but the problem is we can’t get rid of any of these players to enable purchases .

OrcaFat

How has Vdb not shown anything to deserve a place in the team? He was one of the best players in the last game against Wolves and he excelled against Everton in the last preseason. He's bulked up and he's far more resistant to the press than Fred. He moves the ball quickly and makes intelligent runs. He absolutely deserved to be subbed in for Fred on that performance, especially having played really well with Matic in preseason. I can't believe Ole didn't bring him on. And then to compound things, he brings on Lingard and moves Pogba (our best creative player) back as a holding. The same Jessie Lingard who has only just got over Covid and barely trained. So, why couldn't Sancho have started then? Ole's loyalty to certain players is just unfathomable at times, as are his substitutions. And why switch Greenwood when he played so well up front against Leeds? I don't want Ole out. I think the players also share a lot of the blame for the performance today. So, so sloppy. But he doesn't do himself any favors.
You make a lot of points there. I agree the players were a bit sloppy and I think some of them were below par and their lack of technique, lack of legs, whatever their shortcomings, started to show at times.

I also agree Greenwood should have continued at CF. Tony has to come back some time but probably today was not the best game to pick.

It’s easy to list selection decisions and conclude they were the cause of our malaise but you have to remember that the alternatives may well have been even worse.

RedDevilQuebecois

Romelu Lukaku was officially signed 10 days ago and did not play against Palace because he was quarantined. His first training session was also 5 days ago. Answer me now with a straight face: how and why does Romelu Lukaku get the start for Chelsea? Even though Chelsea slaughtered Palace just last week, Tuchel had no problem letting Lukaku start against Arsenal and murdering them in the process.

If you sign players so they would be the best of your team, you play with the best players available.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
On Southampton, its only one game but i thought Livramento was very impressive. Easy to see why they went for him over Williams on loan.

Bought for £5m and surplus to Chelsea but looked far better than Dalot who we are hanging onto.

OrcaFat

If I was somehow miraculously given the opportunity to offer Ole one piece of advice it would be “Stop telling the boys to pass out from the back. They are shit at it & it fecks us in the ass time & time again. Thanks for 99 anyway have a good one”
Well I’m not sure belting the ball up the pitch is the answer.

jesperjaap

Two new players aren’t enough to make us win the league. We also need improvement from the existing ones.
We need a central midfielder without doubt for me. I wouldnt even say its improvement fromt the current ones............its consistency which has been lacking for years. Even our best players Fernandes, Rashford Pogba and DeGea have been shocking in terms of consistency week in week out.

Only Shaw has been consistently good for 90mins over the last 18months or so. Maguire maybe the last six months or so (bar today of course). I could name a fair few that have been consitent.....ly poor or average.

There are quite a few not good enough, several of which I cant believe are still here....but our best 11-15 players, on form is a side that can challenge if there was consistency. Individually its just as good as Liverpools in my opinion, but consistency wise in performances it has been nowhere near Liverpools two good years...I know thats a igh bar, but we shouldnt be a millin miles away from that

Trophy Room

We won’t win the league. Chelsea or Liverpool will but we’ll get better this season. Points we shouldn’t have dropped. Sloppy performance.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Before everyone loses their shit (too late), lets see what we're like with Varane and Sancho both starting with Cavani upfront. If we're still struggling then i'll start to be concerned. What is very clear and has been for about 12 to 24 months is that we're still 1 midfielder short. Not getting one this window is borderline ridiculous given our lack of options.

Martial needs to have a long hard look at himself because his lack of effort in games in comparison to James and Greenwood is stark. No excuses for him. That was a very poor performance today.

Lee565

This is going to be the same old same old of what we have seen already in past seasons under ole isn't it and I'm sure fans will say give him another season and 100 million and then maybe we will truly challenge for the title, rinse and repeat.

In an ideal we get zidane in, which would also likely make pogba stay as well but as things stand pogba will know by January that club will never truly win top honours with ole in charge.

Watch when varane comes in and he still goes with a double defensive pivot against even the lower half clubs, gret stuff.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think you’ve got to trust the manager to know when players are ready to start. It’s a Kong season. It’s easy to judge these things with the benefit of hindsight, but a manager has to pick a. Team ahead of time. Last last week when he selected James. There was a vitriolic reaction from online fans, we then romped to a 5-1 win. A manager has to go with what he sees in training and what he thinks will work, all things considered. I don’t have any real issues with his team selection today, but I am understandably disappointed with the performance. The XI he out was easily good enough to win, but individuals didn’t perform.

I am sure he wanted them to play with a higher tempo but perhaps fitness and opposition prevented it from being executed effectively.

AWB is clearly a superior player to Dalot. One disappointing game doesn’t change that. I think we are better off playing our first choice players into form and fitness, and you do that by having consistent selections.

As for VdB, he was shocking last season and hasn’t shown anything so far to warrant a place in the team. He’ll get his opportunities and he has to take them when they come and give the manager a selection headache. I maintain that it’s a long season. One draw shouldn’t result in a baby/bath water situation occurring.

I understand your frustration. It is shared after today’s performance.

You're being hysterical.
Not sure why you have chosen to quote a post I made in the 2021 F1 thread in this Football thread????

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yet another false dawn! I don't care if its the first game of the season or the second, Ole can't establish any sorts of consistency in this team. That's a certainty.

And yeah, the 433 rumors. feck you english media.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm a bit annoyed that Cavani's extended leave cost us the win. We'd no doubt win if he was playing instead of Martial.
The extended leave was agreed when he signed on for another year. It's beneficial in the long run.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 62% of 307 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw