PL D FA Premier League

Southampton 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 August 2021

sosolid4u09

Every manager, when they make a big time signing, put him straight in!
Is pep easing grealish in? Is tuchel easing lukaku in? Why are we pissing around with sancho.

International break coming up, it could be weeks before he finally gets a long run in to get acclimated properly

He's killed the buzz and excitement and taken away sanchos opportunity to hit the ground running.

Oranges038

Shit team selection and shit performance for most of the game. No composure in midfield and absolutely no movement up top. Basically not good enough from any of them after last week it should be a wake up call for Ole.

Matic was shit and is finished.
Martial is shit and should be gotten rid of.
Lingard being brought on was the shitty icing on top of the shitty cake.

Fluctuation0161

I get trying to be positive and being glass half full rather than empty but this "it's only been two games" narrative being peddled around weeds out the optimistic from the delusional.
2 games is not a representative sample of how this season could go. We have some new players who need to bed plus players getting back for after internationals too.

Redlyn

Martial and Matic starting and doing nothing, Fred shocking in first half, Shaw more quiet than usual, AWB just generally being a very limited footballer and Ole not making the right decisions (McT for Matic not Fred for example). We can carry one or even two of these situations but all in one match it's just too much. Logical result.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We had 3 corners today where within 3 touches, the ball was back with De Gea. 2 of those happened back to back within a minute of each other. I swear we do this more than any other team. It's nearly always Wan Bissaka too. He doesn't even look to assess who he could play the ball forward to whilst we've got them pegged back. He just turns under no pressure and drills it towards our own goal. Grim stuff.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Is pep easing grealish in? Is tuchel easing lukaku in? Why are we pissing around with sancho.

International break coming up, it could be weeks before he finally gets a long run in to get acclimated properly

He's killed the buzz and excitement and taken away sanchos opportunity to hit the ground running.
:lol:

mu4c_20le

He gave him the chance to be a hero

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If you don’t win games like this you can’t win the league

Confident for the next season without mcfred, bissaka, martial

/thread
I think Wan Biassaka is a decent player and can absolutely be part of a title-winning squad.
McFred - you won't win a title with them as your main midfield duo. Both are squad players who'd play to cover injury and over-use of the primary midfielders.
Martial - his fan club uses his first ever goal (against LFC), to hang on to. At the time and the following season, I pointed out that he wouldn't even make the bench for the 1999 team. That says it all.
Lukaku arrived and immediately out scored him. Personally, I think he'd be okay at a club like Arsenal where trophies and big scoring numbers are not required. Under Wenger, he'd have done very well for himself.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Solskjaers non starting of Sancho is baffling. Van De Beek mk2.
I assume that Ole is introducing him gradually. I expect to see him start the next game.

There are players still making this team that should have been gone 2 years ago at least.
Yep.
I was shocked when I saw Lingard on.
There are deadwood players that should be ejected. They are using up wages and a number in the squad.

Bulldog United

Grealish had a proper pre-season. He's ready to go.

Sancho wasn't ready until the end of pre-season, which was already hampered by COVID, and so he needs to be eased in more gently.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I mean that was entirely and completely the correct decision. Martial is no great shakes, but Lukaku is a donkey.
Lukaku was decent for us, but in his final season, he got embarrassingly fat. He then joined Inter and got fit again, while scoring goals.
I am not sure why the club allowed him to get so fat. They should've enforced a strict diet. From the sounds of it, Lukaku wants to do well, so if told to lose weight, he would've.

Did you buy into some social media narrative that we are title challengers
Well, we spent well (I think) and opened the season really well.
Given the above, fans could well have believed that we'd be contenders.

theklr

Players seemed abit uncomfortable with their first proper away game. Think it’ll go over quickly.

Matic doesnt work against a high energy team like Southampton, but sadly we have noone else to play there. Lets hope we’re buying someone.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
If Matic is still ahead of VDB after this then the poor fecker doesn’t just need to leave the club, he needs to leave the planet

Eddy_JukeZ

Terrible performance.

Should have won that game. Too many players were ponderous on the ball and we didn't move it quick enough.

BorisManUtd

Well we had enough chances to win I'd say but would not say we deserved it anyways. Not good enough. If Cavani played I do think we'd won though.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I am not sure why the club allowed him to get so fat. They should've enforced a strict diet. From the sounds of it, Lukaku wants to do well, so if told to lose weight, he would've.
“Romelu, stop eating that pie. I don’t care if Luke’s had three already, it works for him…..we’re not sure how, it just does. It doesn’t work for you though. Not at all”

redmanx

I think Wan Biassaka is a decent player and can absolutely be part of a title-winning squad.
McFred - you won't win a title with them as your main midfield duo. Both are squad players who'd play to cover injury and over-use of the primary midfielders.
Martial - his fan club uses his first ever goal (against LFC), to hang on to. At the time and the following season, I pointed out that he wouldn't even make the bench for the 1999 team. That says it all.
Lukaku arrived and immediately out scored him. Personally, I think he'd be okay at a club like Arsenal where trophies and big scoring numbers are not required. Under Wenger, he'd have done very well for himself.
I agree, Matic and Martial should be sold on, we dont need them; Id play Greenwood through the centre and Sancho must play and as often as possible. With Bruno and Pogba we have two of the best midfielders in the Prem, Scott can support them much better than Matic or Fred. Personally Id love us to play 442 with Greenwood and Cavanni up front, Sancho and Rashford wide and Pogba and Bruno in the middle, assuming of course Pogba stays and continues to play well. With a strong back line of Bissaka, Shaw, Maguire and Varane,

Martialfc

This game shows exactly why we need a new CDM sign Neves for god sake!

Danillaco

So, how long until we really address the midfield problem? What more is needed?

Danillaco

Solskjaers non starting of Sancho is baffling. Van De Beek mk2.
I really don't know how VdB won't be given a proper run of games, with the amount of mediocre combinations we have in the position. Bissouma, Tchouameni, Rice. Anyone that resemble a CDM. We are in dire need.

Giggsy13

Seeing Lingard trot on as a substitute epitomized our failure to shift out the deadwood to address other areas of need. Attacking flair and game changers wasn’t the issue near the end, it was a non-existent midfield. Shift out Lingard for whatever you can get and invest in a midfielder OR give VDB minutes.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Not sure why you have chosen to quote a post I made in the 2021 F1 thread in this Football thread????
I guess it got caught in the crossfire. But listen, it’s nice to be thought of, regardless context, so just be grateful.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
How has Vdb not shown anything to deserve a place in the team? He was one of the best players in the last game against Wolves and he excelled against Everton in the last preseason. He's bulked up and he's far more resistant to the press than Fred. He moves the ball quickly and makes intelligent runs. He absolutely deserved to be subbed in for Fred on that performance, especially having played really well with Matic in preseason. I can't believe Ole didn't bring him on. And then to compound things, he brings on Lingard and moves Pogba (our best creative player) back as a holding. The same Jessie Lingard who has only just got over Covid and barely trained. So, why couldn't Sancho have started then? Ole's loyalty to certain players is just unfathomable at times, as are his substitutions. And why switch Greenwood when he played so well up front against Leeds? I don't want Ole out. I think the players also share a lot of the blame for the performance today. So, so sloppy. But he doesn't do himself any favors.
So your sample size is a meaningless game against Wolves at the end of the season - in a scratch side - and a preseason friendly. Honestly, I don’t even think it’s worth the time necessary to refute that point.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I agree, Matic and Martial should be sold on, we dont need them; Id play Greenwood through the centre and Sancho must play and as often as possible. With Bruno and Pogba we have two of the best midfielders in the Prem, Scott can support them much better than Matic or Fred. Personally Id love us to play 442 with Greenwood and Cavanni up front, Sancho and Rashford wide and Pogba and Bruno in the middle, assuming of course Pogba stays and continues to play well. With a strong back line of Bissaka, Shaw, Maguire and Varane,
4-4-2 with a Bruno/Pogba midfield? :lol: not a chance man.

Giggsy13

So your sample size is a meaningless game against Wolves at the end of the season - in a scratch side - and a preseason friendly. Honestly, I don’t even think it’s worth the time necessary to refute that point.
So tell me then what sample size the manager has given for VDB to be fairly judged by our supporters? I can tell you that there was a fairly large sample size before he came to United that made him a highly sought commodity, and sadly for VDB, a move to Madrid failed to materialize. He can’t be blamed if the manager is clueless on how to use him. There is a potentially world class player being left on the bench who is not being given a fair shake despite the inferior lack of options ahead of him. This is indictment on Ole and our coaches for their failure to get the best out of him.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 62% of 307 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw