PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 August 2022

Boondog

My main takeaway from this game is they need to learn how to keep the heat on when they get that first goal. It's like they are mentally conditioned to sit back. There's reason to think they'll learn, too, given that they learned a great deal from that Brentford beatdown.

They're going to be in a lot of games like that this year where it's tight. So they have to do better of course. But all that aside I greatly enjoyed watching them stand up and battle and come out of that scrum with a win. Great teams win the ugly ones too so I look at it as one to build on. Baby steps.

Drz

I was disappointed in the attacking trio that started, felt they could/should create more and be more of a threat.

After the goal, the entire team was rather poor, but it was also the clearest indication of how low confidence is as we had to resort to just kicking the ball out.
Don't think ETH will be pleased with how we saw that game out.

Positives: clean sheet, Bruno goal.

fallengt

It's fecking Southamton. They couldn't beat us in our disaster season.

Water Melon

My main takeaway from this game is they need to learn how to keep the heat on when they get that first goal. It's like they are mentally conditioned to sit back. There's reason to think they'll learn, too, given that they learned a great deal from that Brentford beatdown.

They're going to be in a lot of games like that this year where it's tight. So they have to do better of course. But all that aside I greatly enjoyed watching them stand up and battle and come out of that scrum with a win. Great teams win the ugly ones too so I look at it as one to build on. Baby steps.
Our team lacks passing ability to keep the ball better and make opposition run more to tire them faster. Our forward could not play with his back to goal. Thus, when pressed, we hoof the ball up the pitch, because we can not keep it. However, as Rashford is not a no 9, and Cristiano is weeeeell past it, when we play long, we lose the duels and lose the ball anyways.

stw2022

At the back we look strong. Martinez and Malacia have adapted well, even though the latter had lapse in concentration second half

MinGin

City and Liverpool tonight showed us how high the bar is.
No way we can close to them in two or three years, they are well-tuned over 5 years.
At least, ETH need to take all players who he want in first XI and bench players.

Now, we need to get back the confident of holding the result and winning the match

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Having now watched the full game: it wasn't exactly a thriller and we were far from brilliant but we got the job done and looked pretty secure at the back: those moaning about Martinez "lack of" height must be feeling a little silly right now. Best aggressive CB we've had since Staam or Vidic and looks good next to the "taller" and very cool Varane.

We need to create more chances and it's so blatantly clear that we need a target man up front, a proper centre forward. I'm afraid rashford was almost anonymous and I don't think Martial (if he's ever fit for more than 20 minutes) is the answer. Eriksen was quiet and Bruno, while more busy still isn't anywhere close to the player who joined us two and half years ago.

Malacia looks good and Dalot is made to look better in a decent back line. It's good to see we've dumped the idea of DDG playing it out from the back. I also don't think the squad is deep enough yet and as things stand, we can't allow Ronaldo to leave.

It's getting better but there's a long, long way to go

DSG

My takeaways:

‘We defended well and got a bit lucky in two spots specifically. But we were unlucky to not score in the first half.

I had serious doubts with Eriksen as part of a double pivot. Well, four matches in, I stand corrected. It’s amazing to watch a real professional with passing range in that position after years of McFred and a disinterested Pogba. He’s not a zero defensively either, his positioning is good and that sense of where to go and pass in the final third unlocks a lot of movement for us.

Malacia is a LB who actually likes to defend. Nice to see. Still young and a bit naive, but makes up for it with tenacity and attitude.

Rashford cannot play striker vs opposition that sit back. Against Liverpool it worked because they have such a high line. He offers nothing in hold up play, and isn’t making the right runs or ‘positioning in the box. Martial cannot be relied upon because he is so injury prone and inconsistent. Quite nervous as we seem to play our best without Ronaldo in the side.

‘Dalot is still a liability as a defender. Wow he’s bad. Hope we address ASAP.

Nice win away vs a mediocre team.

Maticmaker

Another game where the result much more important the performance. Incremental steps still, but generally moving in the right direction.
Suspect we are still a long way off getting the sort of overall performances we would all like, but certain passages of play, some delightful balls from Eriksen, and McT charging about getting in Southampton's face, and the desire of Martinez and coolness of Varane... things are looking up!

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Yep. I don't I've ever hated a United strip. But this one? Lordy, it's awful.
It’s the worst ever! I hate all the dicking around with kit.I suppose it’s just me showing my age.
Home kit should always be , black socks , white shorts, red top with white trim.
1st change strip , white socks, black shorts, white top with red trim.
3rd kit, I favour the black, green and gold worn by Newton Heath and our glorious team from 93/94.

Hammondo

We don't have the players to do that, not good enough on the ball.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 369 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd