PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 12 March 2023

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He got the right call for the red but everything else was pretty sh*te.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's usually attackers making these silly challenging. Not sure what Casemiro was thinking.

This was supposed to be the game Wout scored his PL goal.

Kaos

When do United actually BENEFIT from VAR?

Struggling to think of a single occasion but can think of loads where it screwed us
Last one I remember was the Fernandes goal against City. It feels like they've been trying to make a point since then because of the hysterical backlash to that goal.

Mmm-Qatarian

Unless anybody can give me a logical reason why Casemiro winning the ball with a hard tackle is a "clear red", but Walker-Peters winning the ball and then actually injuring Garnacho is not, I refuse to accept that this was anything but a robbery.

R'hllor

While we have certain players in a team, we wont be able to play football.

SirAnderson

Did anyone even feel like we were playing with 10 men.
I felt our attackers could and should have won it. It was not the 10 men but our lack of finishing that killed us today.

GazTheLegend

The referees in this country are an absolute farce. I'm done with Anthony Taylor. He's always been a joke but when hundreds of millions are on the line there is no excuse for having people that incompetent. And the whole var team in fact. Given Barcelona and their recent relationship with referees I'd actually query the offshore accounts of some of these cnuts

CM

We did okay in the circumstances. Still maybe could've won but it would've been a comfortable day if we played with eleven

UnitedWA

I hate Southampton, fecking liverpools branch! Casemiro out for 4 games, top 4 race still on and I guess nothing is safe yet!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Game was ruined in the first half. Lucky to get away with a point.
Pretty much this. That game just screamed for a late winner for them. Every Ward Prowse delivery was a nervous one.

Bank the point, and learn that you can't be going down to 10 that early in the first half.

Savlehest

Actually think we play a pretty good game. We got the chances to win this.. ref definitely killed the game and VAR is just horrible.

Should have got minimum one penalty..

Red_toad

How did Southampton get away with not a single booking? How did we not get a penalty? Tremendous effort by the players. Shite performance by the Ref & VAR once more.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I swear all of these dubious penalties always get given for the other teams.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Refs not giving United any favours are now seen as sensible refereeing. It’s in the dictionary.

mu4c_20le

When do United actually BENEFIT from VAR?

Struggling to think of a single occasion but can think of loads where it screwed us
We used to benefit from VAR quite a bit under Ole, but the last time was when Bruno scored a penalty to win the game after the game ended. It's been all downhill after that.

Heinzesight

Last one I remember was the Fernandes goal against City. It feels like they've been trying to make a point since then because of the hysterical backlash to that goal.
It goes way further back. Klopp and Lampard comments still in effect.

MonkeysMagic

Ref disgraced himself, we didn't pass the ball well at all well, still created chances but we need several to score so wasn't going to happen.

Players look jaded and I dont think it bodes well for upcoming games, now missing a defensive colossus in Casemiro.

Red00012

Initial reaction, that was truly abysmal. Bottom of the table, and they probably should have won. Lacked creativity, lacked intensity, lacked everything you need to win a PL game.

A horrific performance.
No thanks to the officiating

Anduin

That was a good point considering the absolute clusterfeck that is Taylor, thought we did well in the second half. Never a red card, and a stonewall pen not given… at least we didn’t lose our heads after playing for an hour with ten men. Despite playing on Thursday night, I thought fatigue played a much lesser part than was to be expected.

Siorac

Top 4 is very far from being done now. Three league games without Casemiro... and we dropped points in our easiest remaining game on paper.

JustinC00

Initial reaction, that was truly abysmal. Bottom of the table, and they probably should have won. Lacked creativity, lacked intensity, lacked everything you need to win a PL game.

A horrific performance.
What a horrendous take.

GazTheLegend

A horrific performance.
Are you fishing or what, well done here's your reply.

justboy68

Thought most of the lads did pretty well under the circumstances. Totally shafted by the ref again. Can't count the number of times VAR intervenes against us but waves away absolutely everything we have a claim for.

Eriku

Clearly we experience bias against us when it comes to certain referees. Clear and obvious error it was not, for me.

That said, studs first lunge isn’t a good idea, and Casemiro getting two reds in fairly short succession is poor.

Bruno was absolutely gash, it’s sometimes like watching Pogba when he goes for flashy shit that gets us into trouble in our own half.

McTominay had a good sub appearance, even if AWB had to stop him from scoring an own goal.

Shit day of football.

Ludens the Red

Not a bad result. We’re not a great team to be playing with ten because we’re so chaotic in possession so you kinda take that.
Anthony Taylor is a cnut and it’s quite boring now…
Had we not started the game like idiots maybe Casemiro wouldn’t have been throwing himself into challenges like that but there you go.

Samoerai Jack

Feel like we shouldn't give Casemiro so much to do. Bruno is hardly a midfielder and Sancho won't contribute much at all. I'd rather see McTom and Casemiro than this.

Still a decent performance to save the point and a few chances for more. But it's clear that the lack of depth is wearing on the squad.

Kevzter

Should have scored before the red card but we weren't clinical enough. Red card gave the game away. At least we got a point....playing most of the game with 10 men.

Ibi Dreams

Both teams wasting time at the end said it all. Don’t want to be too hard on them as 10 men for that long is tough, but we looked pretty shit with 11 too.
We were doing pretty well with 11 and even after the red we looked good first half. Would have probably been a comfortable win if Casemiro had stayed on

Semigoodlookin

Shit, but playing 60 minutes with 10 men in the run of fixtures is fecking hard. Until Casemiro was sent off I thought United played ok and would probably have been comfortable in winning the game. Sending offs change games but it was also a lack of composure, which has been creeping in over the last few weeks. There are obviously tired legs out there but top 4 is nailed on, don't worry about it.

None of Spurs, Liverpool, or Newcastle are going to put a run of results together. I think United in 3rd is a lock. Quote me on it.

The game became messy as it can when a team goes down to 10 men but is still expected to be the aggressor. Shaw was poor and AWB terrible. It is hard to control these situations when your fullbacks are playing so poorly. You need them to carry between defense and attack when there is a player missing but they just didn't do it. Fernandes should have played higher up the pitch in the second half and Fred on earlier to shore up midfield with Mct. Only one of Garnacho and Pilestri and coutner-attack.

A messy game but people in the match day thread still questioning ETH's position at the club need to wobble their heads. Madness. I think the team he put out was more than enough to win and probably would have without the sending off. Then, the manager can do many things from the line but he can't tell players like AWB to play well.

always_hoping

Bad unexpected 2 points dropped whereby playing with 10 men for over an hour made a huge difference.

MOTM for Southampton was the ref. How damaging will the Casemiro suspension be is the main question now. Still plenty of work in regards to finishing top 4 and both Newcastle and Brighton have two games in hand.

SER19

No discussion matters beyond the ref. If you put me in the middle, United win every week. Refs decide games and that's what happened today. Even the stoppage time was wrong

Blood Mage

I hate to say it, really do, but Sancho has no future here. Absolutely atrocious signing.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 204 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 3:0 Southampton
  • 24% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton