g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Stoke City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 02 October 2016

reelworld

I'd question Herrera subs though. Yes he was getting past too easily for the goal, but we really lost all control of the midfield once he went off and we put Rooney there

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
But the team shouldn't be relying on him to be 100% every game, shouldn't of come down to that, yes his mistake cost us a goal but the team in front cost us the game
The team didn't rely on him to be 100 per cent. He had virtually no saves to make. He simply had to be on it when called upon.

I love De Gea too, we can't pretend like he didn't make a massive mess up of that though. Many, myself included, consider him to be the world's best goalkeeper. The days of Roy Carroll in net are long gone. The world's best should be saving that. That mistake today was shades of Fabien Barthez.

Champagne Football

The likes of Young, Rooney, Tuanzebe and Memphis simply have to start the Europa league games from now on. It's madness playing the first team on a Thursday night and then most of them having to play again on the Sunday. Top 4 is slipping away when you consider how strong Spurs and Liverpool will be this year and Jose has to start forgetting about the Europa league and solely focus on the league. Today was a straight forward 3-0 win if the likes of Pogba and Ibrahimovich were rested and not playing also on the Thursday..Give Tuanzebe and Memphis a go in the Europa games FFS

SirScholes

Top teams getting points at October doesn't bother me really. Dropping points at poor team at home has been happening every single season in every our title winning season. I'd be worry if we're 8 points behind in January. But it's fecking October. There'll be 31 more games to go.
We're not going to waste 4 chances every game. Last season we would be lucky to create 2 chances a game.
Problem is tho we are wasting those chances every game, having more bad games than good games is not a trend that inspires confidence

parisite

I'd question Herrera subs though. Yes he was getting past too easily for the goal, but we really lost all control of the midfield once he went off and we put Rooney there
Herrera was pretty close to getting sent off actually. He was getting beaten in the tackle and fouling pretty consistently.

SirScholes

The team didn't rely on him to be 100 per cent. He had virtually no saves to make. He simply had to be on it when called upon.

I love De Gea too, we can't pretend like he didn't make a massive mess up of that though. Many, myself included, consider him to be the world's best goalkeeper. The days of Roy Carroll in net are long gone. The world's best should be saving that. That mistake today was shades of Fabien Barthez.
Are you reading my posts where I'm saying is to blame for the goal? Because I'm agreeing he is.
But we should of been home and dry before that

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
A bad day for us.On a better day we would have been 3 up at HT.
We will play worse and win.
Good to see martial scoring.
DDG was culpable for the goal, anyone else think he's not been on top form this season?

Eriku

People who felt our overall play was bad must have been bleeding from the eyes watching the Moyes and LvG era!

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
Must be watching different games, I've seen maybe 2 really good games 3/4 absolute shit games and some ok ones
No my friend, we are watching the same games. Bournemouth, Southampton, Hull; nothing wrong there, almost all fans were feeling quite positive. Then came City, it wasn't a terrible performance overall and we could have come away with a draw there. Feyenoord we all know was a test for the fringe players so we can disregard that. Watford was shite, I agree, but that's one game. Then the rest have been either good or just okay. But nothing there tells me that there is anything to be majorly worried about right now. In fact I think when you look at the big picture and most importantly stop looking over to the neighbours and making comparisons, things aren't so bad.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People who felt our overall play was bad must have been bleeding from the eyes watching the Moyes and LvG era!
It was all down to finishing. We created loads of chances. We should have been out of sight. That is why this sort of thread shouldn't be started straight after a game when people are not rational and post on emotion when points are dropped. Same with phone-ins on TV and radio.

reelworld

Problem is tho we are wasting those chances every game, having more bad games than good games is not a trend that inspires confidence
Did we really?
This is the first match that we created that much clear cut chances and only take one. Martial's goal isn't even the best play of the match. We played some really good football to carve up Stoke defence. The ball just didn't go in.
We are seeing progress from Mourinho. Not as quick as some fans would like, but it's progress. We played better football, and create more chances than previous seasons.

SirScholes

For me the biggest problems are not killing teams off.
This comes down to a number of problems in the squad.
Pogba and De Gea are the only players in the prime of their careers and even still it's maybe a season or 2 early, they are still young.
We rely on 2 players for goals or have been, Zlatan who is the wrong side of 30 and Rashford who shouldn't have that responsibility.
Our wide players need to be better for Jose to succeed, lingard offers no threat he makes runs but doesn't do anything with the ball, martial is young depay inconsistent and mhiki is adjusting.
Our midfield needs a holding mid, the best one is the wrong side of 30 again, then we have a worldie in pogba then a huge step down to herrera and fellaini, who do have good games but because they are not top players will have poor games.
We all wanted Jose to come in and have a fergie effect, get players playing above their level, because that is what it will take for this team to challenge.

SirScholes

Did we really?
This is the first match that we created that much clear cut chances and only take one. Martial's goal isn't even the best play of the match. We played some really good football to carve up Stoke defence. The ball just didn't go in.
We are seeing progress from Mourinho. Not as quick as some fans would like, but it's progress. We played better football, and create more chances than previous seasons.
I'm not going off the lvg era just normal games, we have wasted a ton of chances this year I don't want to highlight them but we wasted against Watford (zlatan) city (zlatan) pogba today there has been a number

NK86

Finishing though is a huge part of it all, obviously. And other than our first half against Leicester it's been a problem. We've managed a few, but left a lot out there as well. Today it cost us 2 points. DDG is a great keeper, but even the best is going to let one in occasionally. It shouldn't have come down to that.
Again, it's not like we didn't hit the targer or kept hitting it straight at the keeper. We placed the shots well and with power. Their keeper kept pulling saves after save. That is not poor finishing. It is good keeping and I feel some on here cannot wrap their head around the fact that you just have bad days sometimes.

DadiBG

Really annoying, cause it was probably our best performance. So many clear chances, wonderful play. I dunno whether to chalk it down to it just being one of those days, or - much more worryingly - being due to fatigue from the Europe League game. That second half did look like we were running out of steam a bit.

Shit happens, on to the next game. I'd much rather we have 10 clear-cut chances a game and only score one, rather than the van Gaal situation of having only one shot per game.

SirScholes

No my friend, we are watching the same games. Bournemouth, Southampton, Hull; nothing wrong there, almost all fans were feeling quite positive. Then came City, it wasn't a terrible performance overall and we could have come away with a draw there. Feyenoord we all know was a test for the fringe players so we can disregard that. Watford was shite, I agree, but that's one game. Then the rest have been either good or just okay. But nothing there tells me that there is anything to be majorly worried about right now. In fact I think when you look at the big picture and most importantly stop looking over to the neighbours and making comparisons, things aren't so bad.
Bournemouth was alright Southampton had a lot of chances to get something, we all watched pogba not the game. City yes we could of but importantly we didn't and we were awful in that first half absolutely awful. Watford was shit feynoord was shit and there wasn't that Man Utd fringe players playing!
Zorya? Forget that one? Shit.
Our best game was Leicester where they handed the game over on a plate letting us score 3 from corners!

Water Melon

An unlucky day. We should have scored 2 before HT. The goal we conceded was a total lapse in concentration. Just put on too much pressure on ourselves trying to score, then Martial did finally score and we got a bit relaxed. Cost us dearly, DDG was not at his best, however still being 3 vs 3 after their shot was a travesty. The rest of our bunch just did not track back. Also, as everyone mentioned, Pog has not adapted to playing in a 2-men midfield, hopefully, just yet.

ants7

Need to put these chances away on order to challenge for top 4. At the end of the day, goals win games not the amount of unfinished chances.

Totally understand that maybe we're getting close to being a very good side but I'm afraid that by the time we get there, top 4 (nevermind title challenge) will be big ask. We need to be in the CL next year.

Also, Pogba hasn't done anything to justify the big price tag but I'm very happy with Ibra. He's being incredible for us considering that he came for free and he's 34 years old.

Bottom line - let's keep up with creating chances but for the love of god - take them. The squad is good enough.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
People really need to cool off before commenting here.. Saying "goodbye top4" and stuff like that is pathetic, especially after a game where we created more chances than we did in the past two years combined and also because we have pretty much the entire season left to play. We are 5 points from top spot ffs..

If we continue to play like we did in the first half we will hammer most teams by a few goals.

ForlansHair

We're still way too open defensively. We had warning signs all game that Stoke could score. Rashford, Pogba and Lingard don't do anywhere near enough defensively. Like Mourinho said at the start of the game, we effectively play with 5 attacking players and that means Herrera ends up playing midfield on his own at times.

I'd take Mata out and play a player behind Pogba and Herrera. We need more of a base and the team just doesn't look stable, it looks like 2 halves with a big gap in the middle. The space we give up on the edge of the area from pullbacks is a joke, it's happened in 4 or 5 games already this season.

JON.B

Sloop
Biggest problem today...probably 95% went into the game expecting an easy win. That didn't happen so now almost everyone is in a state of mass panic and hysteria.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Just watched the Ibrahimovic chance at the start. How the hell did he miss that? A player of his caliber should bury that in style.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We played well in general and are improving. Warmed my heart to see Martial score.
Otherwise, we need to put those chances away, and keep our concentration.
I thought instead of Rooney, he should have brought Carrick on and taken off Herrera, as Carrick would have calmed things down and kept the ball at least. Or if we had Bastian for eg.

The only big problem is that we seem to lack composure and we have to cut that out asap. Happened to us over 3 seasons now, as we saw with that game against Leicester.

Otherwise let's move on and concentrate on smashing Liverpool:D

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
If Rooney played like Ibrahimovic there would be crowds with pitchforks on here demanding his beheading.

DevilRed

If Rooney played like Ibrahimovic there would be crowds with pitchforks on here demanding his beheading.
To be fair Ibra did create a really nice chance for Pogba and had some nice interplay. But yes, generally was poor today in front of goal. Had he have smashed in that one on one in the first minute he would have been man of the match.

Such is football.

Jazz

the only thing Ibra didn't do was score - yes that's bad but he'll work it out. Ibra didn't have a bad game, whereas Rooney does both, not score mostly and has a bad all round game.

DomesticTadpole

I think this is a problem for all the new recruits. The PL is pretty relentless compared to the other major leagues, takes time to get used to!
That is why like a lot I am thinking the EL priority might have to change. Play the likes of Rooney, Carrick etc in that. They get game time, play themselves into some sort of form and use the starting lineup today for the league.

DomesticTadpole

the only thing Ibra didn't do was score - yes that's bad but he'll work it out. Ibra didn't have a bad game, whereas Rooney does both, not score mostly and has a bad all round game.
Ibra did some good stuff. Some of his touches at his age in Wayne are a long distant memory.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I was pissed right after the match, really deserved a win today.

But, we have to look at the positives here. We are only seven games into the season, and already we are looking a completely different team than we did under Van Gaal.

Seriously, under LvG we were lucky to create one or two good chances a game, while today we had loads.

Besides, with a few exceptions we have a really young team here. Shaw, DDG, Baily, Pogba, Rashford and Martial could make the core of a really good team in the years to come

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
He is a striker, its his job to score.

parisite

I was pissed right after the match, really deserved a win today.

But, we have to look at the positives here. We are only seven games into the season, and already we are looking a completely different team than we did under Van Gaal.

Seriously, under LvG we were lucky to create one or two good chances a game, while today we had loads.

Besides, with a few exceptions we have a really young team here. Shaw, DDG, Baily, Pogba, Rashford and Martial could make the core of a really good team in the years to come
7 games into last season I seem to remember we were leading the PL.
Unfortunately the wheels fell off afterwards when Van Gaal started his obsessive tinkering.

Jazz

He is a striker, its his job to score.
I'm not excusing him for not scoring. But you're comparing him to Rooney whose neither good at striking or otherwise.

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
Bournemouth was alright Southampton had a lot of chances to get something, we all watched pogba not the game. City yes we could of but importantly we didn't and we were awful in that first half absolutely awful. Watford was shit feynoord was shit and there wasn't that Man Utd fringe players playing!
Zorya? Forget that one? Shit.
Our best game was Leicester where they handed the game over on a plate letting us score 3 from corners!
I won't say United were awful in the first half vs City. Two or three individuals were awful, not the whole team. City were very good in the first half and blew us away. Credit to them really, they were more prepared and mentally stronger. United didn't get the result in the end, but deserved a point. Zorya were well organised and played for the draw obviously. Even during peak years United struggled to break teams like that down, often coming away with a frustrating draw. Okay United weren't great against Zorya but I wouldn't say it was shit. It wasn't their best but it was okay, they got the result. Leicester was our best result but like Mourinho admitted, today was the best performance. Sometimes you play well and don't get the result you deserve other times you play crap but still get the win. That's football.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Reasonable performance and should have won. First half hour very enjoyable.
Missed chances and one goalkeeping error
Lingard best I've seen him play for the first 30 minutes, but after his shot was saved reverted to normal
Pogba not on form today but overall not a bad performance by the team
Have to take our chances

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 539 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results