PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Stoke City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 02 October 2016

Giggs86

Could've easily been 6-1. Friedelesque day from their keeper. Rooney and Memphis shouldn't have been anywhere near the pitch. We would have been much more dangerous with Mata still on the pitch.

Fecking cnuts.

Mihai

1. Lingard was so frustrating. He didn't do anything positive with the ball, and gave it away to easily.
2. I had a feeling the players absolutely don't give a damn, apart from Herrera, Mata and Baily.
3. It's a shame Rooney is taking all fk's and corners. You already know they will be useless before he kicks the ball. Ohhh, and he is obsessed with passing the ball even when he should be shooting(especially at the end of the game)
4. Old Traford was really quiet. Too quiet.

AndyMUFC

An extremely frustrating game. Gotta be beating Stoke at home, especially with Chelsea and Liverpool away coming up. De Gea should never have made that mistake but the game should've been dead after the first half. Didn't come out second half but looked better after the subs (though I wouldn't have taken off Mata) and a cracking strike from Martial but we paid for that first half in the end.

Pogba didn't have a great day though and neither did Zlatan. Two games in four days might have been too much for the latter, and Paul is playing like a YouTube highlights player so far.

On the positive side, we are looking very entertaining to watch again and had we taken our chances, that would've been my most enjoyable experience at OT for some time.

Reactions: Penna

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I didn't understand the 40 minutes in the middle part of the game where we just kept hoofing the ball off the pitch. As if it was a tactic.

Other parts of the game were ok but I'm pretty sure if the ball had been rolling into the Stoke goal of its own accord, one of oour players would have fallen over onto it or something. It was like we'd been told not to win.

Could have been an easy win on another day, but it should have been an easy win today, and we contrived to make it into a massive struggle, and paid the price for doing so

SirScholes

I won't say United were awful in the first half vs City. Two or three individuals were awful, not the whole team. City were very good in the first half and blew us away. Credit to them really, they were more prepared and mentally stronger. United didn't get the result in the end, but deserved a point. Zorya were well organised and played for the draw obviously. Even during peak years United struggled to break teams like that down, often coming away with a frustrating draw. Okay United weren't great against Zorya but I wouldn't say it was shit. It wasn't their best but it was okay, they got the result. Leicester was our best result but like Mourinho admitted, today was the best performance. Sometimes you play well and don't get the result you deserve other times you play crap but still get the win. That's football.
Sadly this is what United is turning into, teams have stood their ground and they do against every top team, we seem to be struggling more than the others to break them down.
Jose has come out on a number of times this season and said we should of won, that doesn't equal points.
There are too many passengers in this squad not contributing, and players such as zlatan need to step up and perform better

DevilRed

Really hoping Henrikh Mkhitaryan gets back in the squad. Someone like him would be devastating today.

I love Lingaard but he can be hit and miss sometimes. Still not super consistent. You'd expect Mkihtaryan to absolutely thrive in these situations where we are unlocking a defence.

Yagami

Good post resistant
All in all, fun game. We are absolute shite at defending, but are progressing in attack.

We won't finish top 4 nevermind challenge for the title at this rate, though.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Shite we didn't win.

But to all the people saying like "same shit different day" that's a load of horse shit, we are 10x better than we were under Van Gaal/Moyes
This 100%. Although i thought we looked tired, we should have won comfortably.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Shite we didn't win.

But to all the people saying like "same shit different day" that's a load of horse shit, we are 10x better than we were under Van Gaal/Moyes
We are more entertaining I agree, but the results are no better. Our next 2 fixtures against Liverpool and Chelsea will define our season and there's no way we should have put ourselves in that position so early in the season.

13 points from a possible 21 is truly dreadful.

Get In Scholesy

"I don't see anyone of the top sides dropping points"

Whoever said that, or something along those lines is a fecking moron and have lost all their credibility and validity regarding their football opinion.

Heediot ting.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
Disappointing and frustrating game. Stoke came with a plan to defend and that's it, and did that well and got lucky. Time to move on to the next game.

JON.B

Sloop
Seeing Hughes and his smug face makes me wish we had hit them for six!

montpelier

I thought Stoke were OK but did look vulnerable at the back, we should be scoring more than a max of 1 goal a game vs these teams - Watford, Feyernoord, Zorya, Stoke...

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I was very happy with the 1st half except for not scoring. We are starting to zip the ball around and show creativity in the final third. I'm looking forward to watching our matches now. If we can get Mikh and Martial in good form we will be a formidable team.

Acole9

Outstanding
It has to be two points dropped today, Stoke aren't a bad side and their keeper had a great game but with the amount of chances we had today we should've won comfortably. Mourinho is right about getting the players out of the van Gaal way of playing, at times today it was still too slow but there were times where Stoke were having trouble with our build up play because we played with more intensity.

I'm also getting a bit annoyed about the way we defend at times, the players have more time than they think with some clearances, but they just hoof the ball into the stands (very Football League-esque defending)

bugmat

Great performance bar first 20 minutes 2nd half, terrible finishing, keeper wa son form ours had a clanger late on. We've improved and will keep getting better but never nice to throw away points.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Awful result given the chances we had and the kind of mistake that cost us the goal.

But the performance itself was very encouraging. Not quite sure how much that was due to us and how much due to Stoke.

robinrooney

Absolutely no pressure on Blind and he kicks it out of play for a throw. No idea what De Gea was doing with the resultant shot. Threw away 2 points, feels even worse to hear that City lost.

Top 4 is going to be a struggle

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sure, we created lots of chances, which is good. But, in my opinion, our overall plays were not as good as being made by most here.

But, we should had won the game easily, just not a good day for our forwards.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I thought we looked very tired at periods. If this match was on tomorrow night we would be fresher. I think he should rest more players midweek.

izec

We lost again 2 points. It accumulates itself, while our rivals score last minutes goals. I dont care, just win the fecking game you cnuts against shit teams like Stoke, Watford, Burnley....

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Be happy we got the point. If he sent Herrera off like he should have, things could have been worse.

TheReligion

Abusive
We need to learn to keep a high tempo for longer periods. It should be more than possible with the players we have. We bossed the game but instead of keeping a consistent level until we got the goals we needed we had sporadic spells when the players stepped up, the fans made noise and we had a great passage of play.

The bits in between we let the opposition get back in. We need to work on it.

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
Sadly this is what United is turning into, teams have stood their ground and they do against every top team, we seem to be struggling more than the others to break them down.
Jose has come out on a number of times this season and said we should of won, that doesn't equal points.
There are too many passengers in this squad not contributing, and players such as zlatan need to step up and perform better
Can't disagree with that. The whole squad can and will play better than they have so far. But there are still a few that need weeding out before Mourinho has his ideal squad. I have faith he can pull it off, a lot more faith than I had for Van Gaal (however much I liked his character).

peridigm

We need to learn to keep a high tempo for longer periods. It should be more than possible with the players we have. We bossed the game but instead of keeping a consistent level until we got the goals we needed we had sporadic spells when the players stepped up, the fans made noise and we had a great passage of play.

The bits in between we let the opposition get back in. We need to work on it.
I though the same when we were pressing multiple times today. Only seems to last for 5 minutes when we had several chances squandered. Other teams will learn to withstand the pressure then apply their own pressure which we don't seem to deal with too well at the moment.

XdanielredX

We are more entertaining I agree, but the results are no better. Our next 2 fixtures against Liverpool and Chelsea will define our season and there's no way we should have put ourselves in that position so early in the season.

13 points from a possible 21 is truly dreadful.
13 Points from 21 isn't the best, but the performances are a lot better, we actually look like we are making progress and sooner will be stronger and have that consistency back.

The next 2 fixtures will define our season? Are you serious? we're what, 6, 7 games in? Madness.

This 100%. Although i thought we looked tired, we should have won comfortably.
Agreed and on another day Pogbas header would have been a couple of inches lower and it's a goal, Ibra would have slotted away his 1 on 1 and it would be a routine comfortable win, happy days.

jem

1. Lingard was so frustrating. He didn't do anything positive with the ball, and gave it away to easily.
2. I had a feeling the players absolutely don't give a damn, apart from Herrera, Mata and Baily.
3. It's a shame Rooney is taking all fk's and corners. You already know they will be useless before he kicks the ball. Ohhh, and he is obsessed with passing the ball even when he should be shooting(especially at the end of the game)
4. Old Traford was really quiet. Too quiet.
I can never understand comments like this. In all my time watching United, I'm not sure I can recall more than a handful of times during which players appeared not to care (Rooney not celebrating during the first game of Moyes' reign is one obvious example.) Yes, we fluffed some chances, and Blind made a rare error; I'm not sure where you get the idea that the players didn't care.

jem

Because it ruins the fixture list, completely. Plus I'm sick of these stupid kick off times.
Agreed. Just that I think it might be our best shot. I really hate the early kickoffs. Nighmare for North American fans.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Just watched the game, probably the best and most entertaining I've seen this team for ages! Buzzing!

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 539 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Stoke
  • 25% Man Utd 3:0 Stoke