PL D FA Premier League

Stoke City 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 January 2017

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Frustrating for a number of reasons: Big chances missed, Stoke scored without really creating feck all and Twatenburg denying us a stonewall pen.

Still, try to think one year back. Matches were boring as shite, and we hardly created anything. Now on the other hand, we create pently, we dominate matches, but get undone by shit finishing, bad luck and incomeptent bellend refs.

Things are a lot better. Cheer up

lewwoo

Some on here are so reactionary and spoilt. We aren't going to win every game and steamroller over every team in the league. Players have off days. It doesn't mean they are shit or not good enough. Today's match was frustrating but we totally dominated. I trust José is taking us in the right direction and maybe it's an idea to get behind him instead of having a dramatic meltdown every time we don't win.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Right. All you miserable feckers, sod off. Season finished my arse.
We have a cup semi this week, and we are just a few points behind 4th. Stoke is never an easy place for anyone to go to, and we drew. The last three games there have been a draw and two defeats.
Yup. Obviously not winning is annoying but we move on. A draw is ok. Losing would have been horrible. I liked the way we spent the last half hour camped outside their box. Very different to the many games last season where we dropped points with a really limp-wristed finish.

Oscie

Annoying how the only post-match comment of Mourinho's to leak is some pointless plattitude about Rooney reaching the milestone.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think we've been poor again recently and we seem to be getting worse. Our players that we're crucial to our better period are moving back out of form. We dominated the game but i thought our play was horrendous. So slow and laboured, bad touches, slack passing.

I thought these next few weeks were a good chance to put plenty of points on the board but now I'm thinking there's more slip ups on the horizon.

U99ted

Annoying to drop points, but recovering late to get a draw always feels better to me than drawing from a winning position. Fantastic goal from Wayne to get the record. Still got 3 cups and not too far from the top 4, so plenty to play for.

freddie the red

Didn't see the match but it seems we had all of the possession without much penetration or much in the way of clinical finishing.
What we seem to have is a return to the "we will keep going to the end and not lose" mentality we had back with SAF.
Maybe not a great day on the pitch but the dippers lost and Jose is putting the United back into the squad.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's not even that bad, we sit in 6th but are a few points away from 2nd. The top 6 really are so far away from the rest this season and there's still lots of football to play.
7th place Everton are now closer to us than we are to 2nd.

Peanut Butter

Because a large proportion of this forum is made out of spoiled, knee jerking teenagers.
Basically, yes.

It's January. Liverpool look poor at the moment. City concede goals for fun.

Yet our "season is over" apparently.

How many points have we gained in our last 6 matches conpared to City and Liverpool?

Reactions: jojojo

SirScholes

Frustrating for a number of reasons: Big chances missed, Stoke scored without really creating feck all and Twatenburg denying us a stonewall pen.

Still, try to think one year back. Matches were boring as shite, and we hardly created anything. Now on the other hand, we create pently, we dominate matches, but get undone by shit finishing, bad luck and incomeptent bellend refs.

Things are a lot better. Cheer up
I like this post, be like bobcat

Ban

Matchday thread was fun.

'Not convinced with Jose', 'Pogba is garbage' and stuff.

Hammerfell

Basically, yes.

It's January. Liverpool look poor at the moment. City concede goals for fun.

Yet our "season is over" apparently.

How many points have we gained in our last 6 matches conpared to City and Liverpool?
It's always the same people who come out of the woodwork after a poor result, nowhere to be seen after a good one.

SqueakyWeasel

A few things that seem a little bit crazy to me:

We started Fellaini at all
We started Fellaini in a forward position (it's a bit like playing with 10 men)
We didn't start Carrick in this one when we don't need him mid-week
We replaced Mhiki at all
We replaced Mhiki before getting to see him link up with some of the more speedy front guys
Pogba and Ibra are untouchable (with all respect to them both)

… and finally, that Mark Clattenburg can ref professionally without that huge chip on his shoulder making some of his more important decisions "unbalanced" (for want of a better word) … oh, wait :nono:!

MoskvaRed

1-1 at Stoke is not the end of the world and it was a fantastic strike by Rooney to rescue the point and break the record.

But....we look disjointed without Carrick, Pogba played too deep, we had nothing down the left until Rashford came on and we inevitably failed to breakdown a stacked defence with two forwards without pace or dribbling ability (Zlatan and Mata).

In conclusion, I think we'll need one more splurge to get us back competing at the top -Griezmann, an attacking left back plus a younger deep lying midfielder to replace Carrick. Wayne will probably leave and Mata should follow.

lysglimt

Scout
The irony is that this was perhaps our best match of the season - if you ignore the simple fact of scoring goals. We outplayed Stoke for almost 90 minutes - and this is not a bad Stoke-side.

Winning 5-0 would have given a more accurate result. So frustrating as hell yeah - but that Rooney-goal will be so important for a lot of reasons.

Lord Zlatan

If you had said this morning we would reduce that gap to Liverpool considering who we were both playing I'd have taken your hand off. Yet it feels like a missed opportunity again, especially considering the chances/possession we had. We are close, but not there yet though unlike the previous three years there is a definite sense of moving in the right direction.

What do we need?

1. A left back. Blind/Darmian offer nothing going forward
2. A replacement for carrick
3. Top top hard as centre back to partner Bailey
4. A lethal striker.

Seems like a lot and yes it is. But we won't challenge for the league until we address these areas imo.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Didn't watch the game, computer died at the climax, but glad we got the point in the end. It is better than nothing. Some people are going overboard, teams always have dips in form during the season. It is up to us to make sure too much damage isn't done during those times. We do need a striker though. I worry about Smalling and another midfielder so we can rotate, Herrera is getting flogged to death.

vivaronaldo

2 points dropped... thought our build up play was too slow which allowed stoke to handle us comfortably

And well done wazza... special moment

Alabaster Codify7

Terrible two points to drop. Once again, we squander chances in front of goal and squander a chance to close in on top 4 with the Scum dropping points as well.

Stoke were jammy as hell, no way they deserved anything from that game, but our terrible finishing let them off the hook.

Pogba and Mkhitaryan were bad today. Anyway, onto the next one I guess.

Litch

For me this was always a transition season and that what it's proving to be. I'm prepared that it might take another couple but once we are moving in the right direction, I'm happy.

GazTheLegend

Didn't see the game but BBC says we had 66% possession and 25 attempts at goal with 8 on target? Stoke had 1 shot on target and scored?

Again can't help but feel anything other than it's a matter of time for us to become unbeatably good under Jose.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Terrible two points to drop. Once again, we squander chances in front of goal and squander a chance to close in on top 4 with the Scum dropping points as well.

Stoke were jammy as hell, no way they deserved anything from that game, but our terrible finishing let them off the hook.

Pogba and Mkhitaryan were bad today. Anyway, onto the next one I guess.
Don't agree with Mkhitaryan being bad. I thought Mata, Smalling, Ibrahimovic were our worst players.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah we would be 4. Not huge but still not in a position to be dropping points.
Same as before play started with a tough away game at Stoke out the way. Obviously not the perfect result but it's not this top 4 hopes killer everyone seems to be thinking it is. We go on to next week now

dsch

We improved as Pogba grew into the game over the first half, but were persistently sloppy in the last third. Stoke had zero ambition and no attacking plan, and we should have done so much better. Two points dropped for me.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Didn't see the game but BBC says we had 66% possession and 25 attempts at goal with 8 on target? Stoke had 1 shot on target and scored?

Again can't help but feel anything other than it's a matter of time for us to become unbeatably good under Jose.
Doesn't tell the full story really 1st half an hour we were terrible. Good last 15 minutes of the 1st half.

2nd half was spent camped outside their box with not much created really.

markhrad

Was the perfect game for Carrick and Martial. Well done Jose.
Exactly what I thought. Starting Mata and Fellaini was a mistake. They are players to bring on when you need a change in tactics.
I don't like us relying on Valencia's crosses as main source of a goal.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Stoke 0:2 Man Utd
  • 24% Stoke 1:2 Man Utd