PL D FA Premier League

Stoke City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 September 2017

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think Jose got it wrong. We should have played Mata instead of Herrera today. We showed them too much respect. Pogba needs to be a bit deeper to have more influence in the game. He goes missing when he's out high up the pitch.
As was mentioned above, I think he thought Stoke would offer more in midfield and they didn't. Maybe he should have played Mata, make sure we are ahead and then when Mata comes off at his usual 65 minute, bring Herrera on. Either that give Matic a rest, we didn't need both in this game. There will be games when we will. Nothing they did could account for the awful defending and Lukaku missing sitters or again the awful crossing and corners or freekicks.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I'll be interested to see how others fair at the Bet365 Stadium (lol ffs) against a tightly-compacted and well-drilled side. They may well cause other teams problems in the future too. Dropping points is going to happen so we shouldn't yet panic. That said, I don't like how we seem to defend really deep, offering a lot of space in front of us and forcing us into our own box.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Stoke will comfortably make the top 10. Thats Sparkys best squad he has had there.
To be fair they played really well. I know people are saying it's same old problems but we would definitely have lost in years gone by. Still doesn't excuse some of the brainless attacking play and indeed defensive too.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Off-day today. Too many passengers.

Armenian, Pogba, Herrera, Bailly.

Have to say though:

Butland, Fletcher and Zouma were outstanding for Stoke.

Zouma looked like Gandalf today. No one was gonna go past him.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Jose has always won the league when he has won the first 4 games in a row, so United are still far off. TBH should have got another serial goal scorer. Have been saying this for ages, cannot depend only on Lukaku.
I said this many times during the transfer window that we needed to buy another striker of top quality.
What we have done is replace Lukaku for Ibra, which is basically like for like.
And it is gutting that Perisic did not join us. We should've thrown money at him and got him in. So frustrating.

SwSw

Our fullbacks are pretty much non existent attacking wise. Valencia has the engine to go up and down but good lord, his end product is really bad. I expect much more from our captain. I'll give Darmian some credit for that tackle that got us the second goal.

Disappointing performance from our CBs.

Only 4 games into the season so let's not panic.

Womp

idiot
I'll be interested to see how others fair at the Bet365 Stadium (lol ffs) against a tightly-compacted and well-drilled side. They may well cause other teams problems in the future too. Dropping points is going to happen so we shouldn't yet panic. That said, I don't like how we seem to defend really deep, offering a lot of space in front of us and forcing us into our own box.
Knowing our luck they'll bend over for our title contenders. Written in the stars

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Fair play to Stoke and Sparky. Solid performance by them in defense and attack.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Tough game away after an international break, they always up their game when we're in town. Fair result in the end as our defending was sub standard at best.

This is Shaws best chance of cementing a spot in the first XI, if he fails to do that then there's something badly wrong. We really lacked someone on the left bombing forward also.
He needs to pull his finger out we need more width

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Having a hard time finding a MOTM for this game. No-one was very good.

Mister_Stubbs

Sure they've taken points off Arsenal, but Arsenal aren't going to be troubling the troubling the engravers this season anyway. I wouldn't use Arsenal's results as a gauge for anything if we want to be challenging.

But It's not the result, more the performance that was most frustrating today. It felt far too reminiscent of so many matches over the past 4 years.
Agree but Arsenal is still a team you'd expect to finisher than Stoke and yes I know they aren't the Arsenal of old and they weren't great that day but Stoke still beat them as they've beaten teams including ourselves at their place before and will do again.

The performance was disappointing yes but I think in the last couple of years we'd have lost games like that.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Alright Nostradamus I will make you a £100/€100 bet that we will score more league goals this season.
I am not sure my observation this early in the season so far is as definitive as you obviously already are. As I said, I hope you guys are right. Sample is too small.

Strange that such a comment would upset meneer de nep nederlander...

Treble

There is some improvement from last season but it is too early to tell whether it will be enough. The team lacks a bit of magic.

Ramshock

As was mentioned above, I think he thought Stoke would offer more in midfield and they didn't. Maybe he should have played Mata, make sure we are ahead and then when Mata comes off at his usual 65 minute, bring Herrera on. Either that give Matic a rest, we didn't need both in this game. There will be games when we will. Nothing they did could account for the awful defending and Lukaku missing sitters or again the awful crossing and corners or freekicks.
Yet he didnt change it at half time. I would have brought Blind on for Mkhi or Ander and gone 5 at the back

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
4 games of which two were rubbish opposition and one we flattened last season in the same fixture... too small a sample.
Agreee. I've been a lovely high these first 3 match days but we still have to prove we can be proper title contenders.

Eddy_JukeZ

I said this many times during the transfer window that we needed to buy another striker of top quality.
What we have done is replace Lukaku for Ibra, which is basically like for like.
And it is gutting that Perisic did not join us. We should've thrown money at him and got him in. So frustrating.
We needed 2 attackers added to the squad from last season imo.

Lukaku was a replacement for Ibra, so I wanted 2 more, but really think 1 more was a must.

Griezmann not joining hurt a lot imo.

DomesticTadpole

Result is disappointing as feels like it's our own making through some lax defending and lack of clinicalness up top.

Attacking wise feels like there's still work to do. Felt like the players were often a bit isolated and we needed to get some of the attackers closer together.

Thought Mikhi, despite getting an assist struggled again on the right, feels like where he needs to play a wider role esp in the league that he struggles for impact. It's a bit of tough one at the moment. I thought it was the right decision to bring in Herrera but attack just didn't click but it's hard to think of the best combo. Rashford/Martial both are doing well but Mikhi/Mata offer a maturity they don't. At the moment though I think I'm leaning towards seeing Martial and Rashford next time we play this way.

But still, not a disaster and hopefully serves as a reminder to the players to stay focused as we were getting a lot of hype.
Herrera got a run out, the more time he gets, the more he will improve. Presume he will get some time against Basel and Everton. All our players need time as there are a lot of games coming thick and fast now.

AshRK

Also wtf with us today with the short corners. We have scoring goals from corners and today most of our corners were short. Was this match a tribute to van gaal.

ManUtd1999

Since the departure of Sir Alex, our problem was the response to disappointing results. We typically couldn't come with a win following this type of result, and had a run of games with ups and downs. I hope things will be different this time, and I actually have faith that it will.

When you think about it, 10/12 and 12-2 goals difference are good.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There is some improvement from last season but it is too early to tell whether it will be enough. The team lacks a bit of magic.
Agreed. Bit of a reality check I suppose after the early season good form agiansr average teams.

RooneyLegend

This is the same team as last season with Lukaku instead of Ibra, not sure why we expect so much though. The run of game's we're on has made us believe we're better than we are.

Devil may care

Disappointing result, I didn't think we were awful in attack but at times we lack a bit of invention there, and again the lack of real fullback threat is an issue.

The most disheartening thing though was the performance of the Bailly/Jones partnership, they have started the season so well but were all over the place tonight, no aerial presence and rash with their positioning, especially Bailly.

yamo123x

Let's be frank- it was a poor performance against game raising stoke with judas Hughes annoying as ever on the side.

Our big players were poor and even those who showed form early season made errors.

No need to panic.

Darmian tho offers nothing on the left it's so obvious.

Wal2Fra

Frustrating game. Pushed until the end and had a few chances but didn't quite go for us. Lukaku's miss sealed it really.

Anyway, a team parking the bus at home will always be difficult but move on and hopefully face the same Everton Spurs did today.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Agreee. I've been a lovely high these first 3 match days but we still have to prove we can be proper title contenders.
Yep. Seems I ruffled some sensitive feathers by suggesting the possibility of us having flattered to deceive a bit in attack though...

Eddy_JukeZ

Perisic would have brought that
I don't think he's a player that brings magic(did not want him in), but he would have added some much needed width to this team.

A lot of our players prefer to drift/come inwards.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Since the departure of Sir Alex, our problem was the response to disappointing results. We typically couldn't come with a win following this type of result, and had a run of games with ups and downs. I hope things will be different this time, and I actually have faith that it will. When you think about it, 10/12 and 12-2 are good.
Need the win vs Everton.

LoneStar

Hughes set up his team well. Made it very compact and forced us to go wide. Of course both of our fullbacks were poor and offered nothing good. He should have started Mata instead of Herrera. We should only switch to a 433 in the bigger games. However it is easy to say all this in hindsight.

Ramshock

I am not sure my observation this early in the season so far is as definitive as you obviously already are. As I said, I hope you guys are right. Sample is too small.

Strange that such a comment would upset meneer de nep nederlander...
I coached for years I can tell when a team is more comfortable going forward and have more confidence on the ball.

DomesticTadpole

Yet he didnt change it at half time. I would have brought Blind on for Mkhi or Ander and gone 5 at the back
We have usually been pretty good in the second half, but it didn't really happen today, or let's say the defence made sure it didn't. Mkhi puzzles me, he is seriously disappointing at times, but pops up with assists, so it covers his frailties in other areas.

Hellboy

Jones & Bailly were shit. As were Herrera and Pogba.

Too much respect shown for a shit team so Jose has to take the blame also.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 548 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Stoke 0:2 Man Utd
  • 20% Stoke 1:2 Man Utd