PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Swansea City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 30 April 2017

Kag

Martial named man of the match on here but blocked Rooney's point blank range shot that would have took his goal tally to two BUT Rooney was awful and is useless?? The mind boggles.
Jesus. All Rooney had to do was pass the ball into the net, without even lifting the ball from the floor. He launched it high and straight into Martial. You've said it yourself: point blank range shot.

On a different note, has Mourinho chucked any of our players under the bus yet?

leontas

1. Our players are dropping like flies left and right - we need people to come back from injuries fast or actually trust some of our younger players like Axel
2. Rooney is done - scored a good penalty (which wasn't a penalty), could've potentially had a second but offered nothing in midfield and gave away a foul in a very dangerous area
3. Our attacking play is atrocious - Lingard offered nothing today, Martial didn't play well either and Rashford was left once again by himself to try to make things happen. This is compounded by the fact that we just have no one in midfield who can actually play a decent forward pass. Young and Valencia are the only ones providing width and their crossing is terrible
4. Top 4 is almost completely gone - we need to really focus on the Europa League. City and Liverpool have much easier games than us.

ManUtd1999

No real physical presence in the midfield, and no plan B when we needed the second goal.

Al-T

All focus on Thursday's match/EL now. No way are we making top four with trips to Arse, Spuds and Southampton before a 1-1 draw at home to Palace. Hope Bailley is ok otherwise we are royally screwed. Wish the season was over really.

Hopefully Mourinho has seen enough to know that he needs another influx of serious quality and the moving on of some of today's starting plus those never fit enough to start regularly. We have to stick with Jose because who else is there? And if we replace him, there will be the usual management bollocks about everyone starting with a clean sheet when it's been clear for ages that some should be out of here.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We created feck all. That is incredibly worrying.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We have too many square pegs in round holes.

A winger at left back
A winger at right back
A striker as a winger
Lingard as a winger (I mean, what even is Lingard?)

Red Stone

Old Trafford has gone from being a fortress to being a shite sandcastle built by a two-year-old. That has to be fixed before next season starts. It's fecking embarrassing how many points we've dropped at home.

Ixion

Ashley Young is a fraud and a 120k a week wage thief. The number of times he gets the ball in that left wing position and literally nothing ever comes from it ever but because he shapes up like he really wants to run at players people get impressed and don't notice there is never any end product. He'll leave after 7-8 years and the only thing people will remember are the those goals against Arsenal. An utterly average player that epitomises the squad.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Rooney should have won us the game by placing the ball in to the corner. Instead he blasted it aimlessly and it goes in to the back of Martial. Martial probably shouldn't have been there, but he had space in the left corner to aim for. And then he goes and loses us the game with an avoidable foul against the last side in the league you'd want to give direct free kicks to. It's clear why he's barely had a look in when everyone is fit. Urgh.

It did look like there was a lot of heavy legs out there. So many overhit passes from players who don't usually do that. Carrick, Blind etc. The players look drained and the squad available is decimated. It's easy to say "it's only Swansea", but they've not been playing twice a week since September. They won every 2nd ball, every loose ball was theirs, and as Hoddle said, United were a yard behind on everything. They were much fresher and it showed. Having to make 2 subs to injury doesn't help either. They made subs to impact on the game and we simply couldn't.

I do think today was the time to put a few kids in the lineup to rest some of the first teamers. We're still in the hunt for top 4, but the Europa League is so much more important. Simply not conceding on Thursday would now be a good result.

fellaini's barber

Pisses me off when I see the amount of praise shit players get for 'putting a shift'. I watched Marcelo bail out Madrid yesterday with some beautiful play and a goal any striker would be proud of, then I come in here and read loads of praises for Ashley Yound who can't manage a good cross, but put a good shift and run around a lot. Same goes for Valencia and Darmian. We play two little strikers who are not good in the air, surround them wit a bunch of average and uncreative wingers and fullbacks, spend the whole match hoofing and wonder why we don't score. The most important thing for us this season is the players we let go, too many average players holding us back but playing evergame because they 'work hard' or are home grown or whatever

Dinghy

We can't pass the ball for shit. Uninventive and slow is what this team is all about. Not to mention that the technical abilities on some of our players are championship-level at best. Swansea go level with almost 15 minutes to go and you just know that there's no chance we'll score, yet create any chances. And this is after almost a whole year with Mourinho in charge. There's no excuses for the crap that's been served at OT this season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not even that arsed tbh, Top 4 was over a long time ago given we were never going to go to Spurs and Arsenal and get 6 points

Triple.Threat

I remember United playing Lyon in the CL some years ago and Fergie knew their biggest threat was Juninho on set pieces, so he didn't play a prime Scholes because he knew he might give away a few and instructed the team NOT to give away silly fouls.

I'm sure Jose told our players that too and you could tell as soon as Rooney gave that FK away he just knew he really messed up.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ashley Young is a fraud and a 120k a week wage thief. The number of times he gets the ball in that left wing position and literally nothing ever comes from it ever but because he shapes up like he really wants to run at players people get impressed and don't notice there is never any end product. He'll leave after 7-8 years and the only thing people will remember are the those goals against Arsenal. An utterly average player that epitomises the squad.
Ashley Young was the least of our worries today.

RAVred

First things first.

Start 'promoting'/playing youth in the prem, YOU HAVE NO OTHER FEKING OPTION MOURINHO!

seriously this is honestly fecking atrocious, I get Mourinho has no faith in our academy (and hes making a joke if he says he has), its not enough to praise. You GOT To put them out there.

Theres no way theres no fecking team in world football that will survive playing 3 matches a fecking week. All our injuries, all our problems, feck this result probably, is even on poor rotation. Mourinho is too much hell bent on experience in the squad, feck experience, our experienced players have been shite. ERgo. Carrick (last 2 games), Rooney, Smalling, Young etc.

Our Poty nominees are beyond worn out at this point too and looking like drivel as well.

Nows the time, nows the time to fk the league, put academy players in Rotate hard. Try to get a great lead in Spain, then finish them off at home, because we can atleast guarantee a draw at OT. Get at least a 2 goal margin in Spain, we should be hoping for 3 but knowing us thats impossible. Theirs literally no other option we have. I dont give a fk if City, Liverpool both fkin lose. IT doesnt matter for us, this was meant to be the EASIEST game we have left. Its gone. Leave it, stop trying to fight for it when theres ' mathematic probablity' (IDk whos pushing this agenda, the board?)

Worst fecking crowd at OT I've heard in ages, COME On try to motivate these pathetic excuses of players, what other hope do we have? We needed luck 100% and motivation to get a goal after Siggurdson equalised.. But we got none.

Mkhitaryan was invisible, but its actually clear why he was invisbile, Swansea were happy with a draw. They closed up almost completely, Mkhi plays SHITE against closed up teams. Mourinho's gotta grow some balls and put him on, its obvious these bottlers cant hold a 1-0 lead, put Mkhi on 10 minutes earlier, maybe he can actually make a difference.

SirScholes

This is where the likes of Herrera if we are to claim him to be world class needs to step up. This is where my criticism of lingard is justified because he just isn't good enough and where martial needs to learn he can't just bulldoze his way through everyone.

I'm not surprised at all, despite injuries our second string should be capable of beating or atleast not needing a penalty to score.

I fully expect big changes next year where more experienced and ruthless players are brought in, Rooney carrick (as much as I love him) Young are sadly no longer capable coupled with a still young striker and ineffective wingers, brings on celta

Womp

idiot
Agreed. There's definitely fatigue and injury. But what was concerning more than anything today was the languid mentality. No cut and thrust whatsoever. Jose really needs to answer for that.
TBF I think we're giving the player's too much credit if we put the blame solely on Jose's feet. He picked an attacking team, one thing I can fault him for is keeping Rooney on too long, should have been binned at half time. That being said, it's fecking Swansea, we should be doing these lot, even if we didn't have a manager. Bottle jobs. Knackered and on their last legs, but bottle jobs nonetheless.

The Firestarter

I know he did but that free kick was mismanaged and still would of had us up 2-1 you'd of thought Rooney had taken the free kick himself they way people are going on about him.
What are you talking about, are counting a hypothetical goal he may have scored?

G-manc

Probably the poorest performance of the season.

At least most of the other home draws have been games we've largely dominated therefore warrant frustration but we were lucky to get a point today.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The fact we are so predictable is so disheartening. We have a complete bunch of bottlers out there and I am 100% sure we will be in the Europa league next season

SqueakyWeasel

Couldn't be any worse to be fair. I've been looking forward to that since Friday. Massive let down.
I know! Had a huge argument with the GF this morning about not doing stuff with her on this lovely sunny Sunday. Had to explain that reading every bit of internet garbage written about us and watching every minute of the build-up is all part of the experience.

We went into slamming doors and silent mode and I was happy when she left the house to go and see some friends so I could down some early beers, watch us cream the Swans (payback for what they've done to us since SAF left) then laugh at City trying deal with the pressure against the "mighty" Boro … then laugh some more at the Arse while keeping one eye on the 'pool meltdown before their game tomorrow.

All fecked up! I can't watch City, Spurs or even Arsenal play after that performance, it'd just be too demoralising! I just wish I'd gone out with her now, but can't jump in the car to go and meet her as I've had a few and not sure I'd be too polite to her "bitch" friends anyway. To make it worse … I don't know if I can even be bothered to have a wank!

Do these footballers know what they put us through … really?

Alex Styles

If I could criticize Jose for one thing today, it would be that his cry baby mentality (i.e. we're in trouble but we will fight, playing at 12 o clock on Sunday) has probably filtered to the players and they seem more tired than they actually are.

That aside though, today I look at the players and they have let him down. Especially Shaw who just cannot be depended upon. Rooney who is still shit, Mikhi offers nothing it seems.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
First things first.

Start 'promoting'/playing youth in the prem, YOU HAVE NO OTHER FEKING OPTION MOURINHO!

seriously this is honestly fecking atrocious, I get Mourinho has no faith in our academy (and hes making a joke if he says he has), its not enough to praise. You GOT To put them out there.

Theres no way theres no fecking team in world football that will survive playing 3 matches a fecking week. All our injuries, all our problems, feck this result probably, is even on poor rotation. Mourinho is too much hell bent on experience in the squad, feck experience, our experienced players have been shite. ERgo. Carrick (last 2 games), Rooney, Smalling, Young etc.

Our Poty nominees are beyond worn out at this point too and looking like drivel as well.

Nows the time, nows the time to fk the league, put academy players in Rotate hard.
I get the sentiment, but unlike the last few years, there isn't a reserve team of players ready to go that Jose is excluding. For whatever reason, we're terrible at that level right now. Not a single name banging on the door to even bring in.

Jacko21

Mourinho:
I prefer not to speak about Phil Jones and Chris Smalling. I prefer to speak about Juan Mata giving everything to be available. I am grateful for that.
Tells you all you need to know.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
1 more point we didn't deserve. We are a terrible football team at times.

Injuries and form are giving me no confidence whatsoever going into the semi.
Mata, Pogba and Fellaini can play in the EL. Just forget about the league and rest the players. Then a nice big clearout in the summer. Rooney can go now for all I care.

mav_9me

To be honest when it's basic stuff like not being able to take a first touch, or make a 10 yard pass, then it's not the coach I'll look at.

Some players need to pull their head out of their arse.
Forget about today.

In general we just don't play out or keep the ball like Swansea did today. We definitely are doing better than we were in the last 3 years but not like how Swansea were withstanding our pressure and continued to keep the ball. That imo is a result of coaching and coaches ability to give confidence to play like that.

AlwaysRed66

Mourinho's late rotation and obsession with League and FA Cup came back to haunt us.

He's run the first team into the ground.
Its the Europa League that has run the players into the ground with the amount games in it. If he concentrated on the home front as myself & others suggested at the beginning of the year, leaving the kids to play in Europe, we would be in a lot better position now. He better hope we win it now, as failure to do so & reach the top four will be a poor season.

el3mel

Tbh, I have no problem in any player fecking off of the team. These players have been failing to deliver anything for 4 years now that I can't find any excuses for them anymore .

M4YON

Jesus. All Rooney had to do was pass the ball into the net, without even lifting the ball from the floor. He launched it high and straight into Martial. You've said it yourself: point blank range shot.

On a different note, has Mourinho chucked any of our players under the bus yet?
Martial made no effort to get out of the way of that shot thats the issue Rooney chose power of placing it incorrect decsion in hindsight but with Martial moving it was going in anyway.

No but Redcafe have burnt Rooney at the stake....

Irrational.

Jose Mourinho said:
We lost players and we lost points, so yes today was a bad day. We did not look tired and exhausted, we are tired and exhausted. You cannot isolate the performance out of the context. This is the ninth match of April, it is not human. We have a squad of 22 that is reduced to 13 or 14 players. The players are very tired.

Did Jesse Lingard and Ashley Young look sharper than other people. Of course, they did not play the last match. I am more than happy with the players, they gave everthing they could. I have zero criticism.

I don't know about the injuries. I think Luke Shaw's must be a big injury, because to leave the pitch after 10 minutes I am expecting a very big injury.

At the moment, we can walk from the bed to the toilet and break a leg.

I prefer not to speak about Phil Jones and Chris Smalling. I prefer to speak about Juan Mata giving everything to be available. I am grateful for that.

We will give everything on Thursday. That is sure. Whether we go to the final or not doesn't matter, I am really happy with the guys.
I agree with his general assessment.

Jones and Smalling (and perhaps Shaw) are goners.

SirScholes

First things first.

Nows the time, nows the time to fk the league, put academy players in Rotate hard. Try to get a great lead in Spain, then finish them off at home, because we can atleast guarantee a draw at OT. Get at least a 2 goal margin in Spain, we should be hoping for 3 but knowing us thats impossible. Theirs literally no other option we have. I dont give a fk if City, Liverpool both fkin lose. IT doesnt matter for us, this was meant to be the EASIEST game we have left. Its gone. Leave it, stop trying to fight for it when theres ' mathematic probablity' (IDk whos pushing this agenda, the board?)

Worst fecking crowd at OT I've heard in ages, COME On try to motivate these pathetic excuses of players, what other hope do we have? We needed luck 100% and motivation to get a goal after Siggurdson equalised.. But we got none.

Mkhitaryan was invisible, but its actually clear why he was invisbile, Swansea were happy with a draw. They closed up almost completely, Mkhi plays SHITE against closed up teams. Mourinho's gotta grow some balls and put him on, its obvious these bottlers cant hold a 1-0 lead, put Mkhi on 10 minutes earlier, maybe he can actually make a difference.
That's a great point on playing an attacker early, make them think twice about pushing up.

Agree with all this

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 422 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Swansea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 42% Man Utd 2:0 Swansea