PL W FA Premier League

Swansea City 0:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2017

the hea

Lukaku might not be anywhere near as good on the ball as Zlatan but his his off the ball movement is our biggest improvement from last season.

ash_86

Excellent result. We just got the most ruthless striker in the league. I don't care if Lukaku sleeps on the sides all game but scores at the end.

NotQuiteManc

The very critical aspect that was criticised many times last season, that so far for two games, seems to be massively improved, and that is being clinical in front of the goal.

Rashford offered more to his overall game but his finishing seems to be lacking at the moment. Great energy and running, defensively decent but finishing left a lot to be desired. The great thing is most of them including Rashford is still very young and have room for improvement.

Either Jones or Miki for MOTM for me.

MuranoLover

How awesome is Matic, eh? What a difference he makes to our solidity at the back and also all the interceptions and sitting at the base of the midfield..

Pogba with an excellent 2nd half. On a yellow, could've easily be sent off if he made another foul - 1 goal, 1 assist.

We're looking grand when counter attacking - onward with the next game.
Whoever takes the decisions at Chelsea for selling players , they are fecking crazy to sell Matic and twice more to sell him to us

Jagga7

We're looking a lot like Mourinho's first Chelsea team. Strong, powerful and solid at the back, we suffocate teams rather than playing beautiful football.

Makky

Great start to the season. Confidence will now be sky high, although it's still early days, we can go forward with renewed optimism.
It feels different, much more positive.

In the past I've been I've been an advocate for Rashford getting a starting place based on form, but this season it's been a more 'wait and see' what happens regarding Jose picking him instead of Martial.

I think Martial has done enough to warrant a start against Leicester. He just looks more driven, attack minded and above all clinical.

Blind

Strange game, I'd like to see a lot more dominance and chance creation spread over the 90 minutes, but if we can score 3 in 3 minutes then it doesn't really matter like.

Oddboy

Mata totally ineffective starting on the wing I'm afraid. Would much rather see Mkhi there, he was running at defenders as soon as the switch was made.

Martial should be aggrieved if he doesn't start the next game.

I still think we're in need of a more dynamic left back.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Score line flattered but a good win in the end.

Love our firepower now, feels like there's lots of goals in the team and think there's more to come.

Early days and we definitely shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves but the early signs are promising.

ManUtd1999

We are scoring goals. We are scoring goals in the first half. We are scoring goals late in the games and we're finishing off teams.

Excellent start to the season.

Martial and Fellaini turn what could a have been a nervy last 15 minutes into a goal fest.
Yes, they were all over us before the substitutions.

Martial added more pace and better finishing. Fellaini's introduction allowed Pogba to go forward (something that he couldn't do with Mata and Mikhi in the team) and stopped any rhythm that Swansea had. These two appear to be #12/#13 for Mourinho this season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We're looking a lot like Mourinho's first Chelsea team. Strong, powerful and solid at the back, we suffocate teams rather than playing beautiful football.
Curious! You don't think the breakaway goals are reminiscent of the Tevez-Ronaldo-Rooney era

togg

Strange game, I'd like to see a lot more dominance and chance creation spread over the 90 minutes, but if we can score 3 in 3 minutes then it doesn't really matter like.
If you remember we had plenty of games like this under Ferguson, when a team was playing so defensively. It was always a case of patience and just keep plugging away. Did that brilliantly today and Mourinho's subs were timed bloody perfectly. Just as Swansea were tiring.....

Spark

Jones has nothing to be blamed for on this header, was excellent imo. Rashford chance was the stupid one, though, but overall that's the most clinical United I have seen in these last 4 years. Hope it continues.
Yeah completely agree, didn't mean it against them, just that I was getting the feeling that we were going to have another one of those savage games where nothing goes our way. Bailly's goal was crucial, forcing Swansea to open up more.

We have a decent run in over the next few games - keep this up and it takes so much pressure out of the crunch games.

Hamadovich86

Last season Swansea would've scored in the 80th minute and the match would've ended 1-1. The fact that we not only managed to score a second but we decimated them in the last ten minutes is really encouraging!

admrf

Against Madrid, we were a bit negative though they played openly. In the league after 2 games, as soon as the opponent open, we can destroy them.
Looking forward to see how Mou approaches against stronger/top 5 PL sides.

DevilRed

Can't think who should be motm, Jones, lukaku, Bailly?
Jones/bailly will give us a real shot of winning the league if we can keep defending so well.

Matic providing another understated performance in midfield. Shielded the back four and allowed others to get forwards. No coincidence pogba now has 2 goals in 2 matches.

I pray that Philip jones stays healthy for the whole season. Imagine that.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It was a tough match. We pulled away near the end because the space opened up. Getting that first goal is always crucial.

Thought Matic was immense. Mickey T was pretty good in the second half.

leontas

Very clinical although our first half performance left a lot to be desired offensively. We were a little lucky to get that goal but my word, are we devastating on the counter. We just need to figure out a way to break defences down at 0-0.

Fooza

We're so good on the counter when teams play out against us. Important 3 Pts even though personally I thought most of the performance today was generally poor and slow (apart from that 4min period).

When we play against a team with 10 players behind the ball, we need to improve on that and play quicker because most teams will play like that against us this year.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
  1. Rashford is great to watch. Needs to stop trying too hard and look for more pass and go options in his attacking. Also, practice finishing with Martial
  2. Jones has been really good at the back
  3. Blind is not working very well at LB
  4. Valencia is very limited, very being an understatement
  5. FellainI seems to be a lucky charm sub for Mourinho
  6. Mkhitaryan is going to be critical in our success this season
  7. Martial is a rare talent that shouldn't be squandered away by bad management
  8. Lukaku can go very missing for large periods of the game, but, who cares as long as he scores when it matters
  9. Mata does a lot of off-the ball work that goes unnoticed
  10. First goal for Bailly. Yaay!
  11. Matic. Matic. Matic. Enough Said
  12. Pogba kept his cool after the foul following Yellow and was still very effective in both bringing the ball forward and finishing off in front of goal
  13. Herrera looked lively
  14. Personally, it was satisfying to not see Lingard run on to the field. Wouldn't mind if Andreas took his place on the bench
4-0. Again. Top of the table for another week, for sure unless City scores 7 against Everton on Monday.

Can't wait for Leicester at home. Another destruction.

WyoManU

Wasn't a great performance up until the 80th minute. We did what we had to and were fairly comfortable but I would not have been surprised to see the Swans nip one. Loved how we just killed the game off so ruthlessly once they changed formations and spaces opened up. Clinical finishing.

It pains me to say this, but my MotM was Jones. Up until our romp at the end I just couldn't think of anyone else who was as consistent.

Mkhi on 4 assists in 2 games. Rom on 3 goals. Pogs scoring. Martial scoring.

Next match Martial has to start.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
In other news, the dichotomy between matchday threads and the actual matches was again on display today.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
That's how you make love. Slow, patient build up until there is space to penetrate. Sooner or later they alway open up if you remain solid.

shield

I did not like that Swansea pitch at all. A lot of our passes were misplaced because of it. Think we could have scored a lot more goals if that pitch had been in a proper state. It was really annoying. Did anyone else feel that?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Very happy. Let's hope we keep this up.
Now we can enjoy the rest of the weekend:drool:

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Not outstanding for much of the game but great result. Martial must get more minutes.

Think City have the edge on us in their ability to break down packed defences, but we should be contenders for sure.
Its a fair challenge, but right now he is having a solskjaer like impact and that might be from him trying harder as a sub.

Two 4-0s, keep same starting line isn't a bad way to go!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
We are far more dangerous and deadly on the counter than before.

Off to have a drink, we have 6 points, 8-0 GD. Don't care it's only 2 games into the new season.

Btw. Manchester United have scored 4+ goals in their opening two league games of a season for the first time in 110 years.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I try to not get carried away but 6 Points after 2 games with 8:0 is very beautiful.

Would love to see Martial starting instead of Mata for the next game.

AkaAkuma&

Swansea played a physical game, crowded the center with bodies. these were the type of teams United found difficult to beat last season, teams who stayed deep, played physical and countered. United played well to break them down and draw them out so that they could put more goals past them.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 39% of 1161 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 909 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Swansea win
  • Draw