PL W FA Premier League

Swansea City 0:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2017

DavelinaJolie

It's a small thing but Bailly's burst to get to the ball for his goal is great. Fantastic acceleration.

Some really sweet finishes in there.

And when they're in the same shot together Lukaku, Pogba and Bailly all look pretty normal, then Mikhitaryan walks into view and you realise how big this side is.

Sweet.

El Zoido

Should be top of the league for another week then bar some insanity. Doesn't really matter after two games but it's nice.

TsuWave

did you see that score g?
do not chat to me!
one goal for bai-lly
another goal from an-tho-ny
chelsea still losing
all you gunners fans still booing
us man are winning
3 points cuz, what you saying
we them jose's boys

Wayne's World

I thought up until the 80th minute that we were very poor in the final third and really lacked any sort of tempo to kill the game off but once we got the second goal, we really showed ruthlessness which we lacked last season. It was great to see that things are changing this season and that Mourinho has really improved on that aspect.

Still think we need a left sided player as in a left winger or left back just to stretch the play abit but I'm not going to go too much into that.

Two 4-0 wins couldn't have asked for a better start :D:keano:

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Would have been happy with the 2-0 win which would have been a better reflection of the match and how Swansea played. The most important thing is that we did manage to break them down, get that second goal and hold them off which was the problem so many times last season. To add on top when we do go to protect the lead we are deadly on the counter.

Still think width is a problem but all other signs point to us at least doing better than last year.

krazyrobus

In other news, the dichotomy between matchday threads and the actual matches was again on display today.
Yup, all the "we are shit" was amazing. 60% possesion, opposition respecting us enough to keep 9 men behind the ball. DDG not making a meaningful save, but yes we are shit indeed.

LoneStar

We are finally lethal on the counter and also in finishing. Lukaku had a pretty average game, but once he got a chance, he scored. Clinical. If we play a 433, Pogba will have a field day every game. Martial looking like his first season self again. Jones and Baily solid as hell. Matic was such an amazing signing by Jose. If a team comes to take us head on, they'll get ripped. 8 goals in 2 games and 0 conceded. Solid. I'm hoping for another 4-0 against Leicester :devil:

PieCrust

Swansea gave us a good match for 80' and had chances. Was brilliant to see United put them to the sword once they were forced to play 4 at the back.

Matic MOTM once again for me. Immense in midfield, starting many of our attacks with his interceptions and vision.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
15% of last years goal tally in two games!

Edit: Ha, beaten to it

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
That was a good win. Nice to start off early on a Saturday and get 3 points.

And just some added info about the bird. He was indeed dead , a broken neck, and has been peacefully buried in the garden.

tony54

Remember those days when LVG would put Rooney as our lone striker and he couldn't score goals, because he was crap?
And LVG kept repeating, Rooney shall always play!
Those were dark days.

:D
1.Wayne, was dead wood for at least four years. Mourino phased him out respectfully.
2. Our defence being stronger has given the forwards more time and chances as they are now not having to play deep trying to get the ball or defend.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
If Coutinho is worth 100 Million. I reckon Micki is worth more. He is, IMO a better player.

Jones was also superb. MoM.

Wal2Fra

Turned into a comftable result. Deserved the win but for a while looked as if it would be no more than 1. Great to see us getting goals in games like that, when last season we probably end up dropping points here.

Happy with that!

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

When Swansea were forced to take risks and leave spaces for us to exploit everything became much easier.

The good thing is that we're finally creating chances, good chances, via our transition plays which was a big issue last season.

On the other hand, behind the rather flashy and flattering scoreline, when the spaces aren't there (and we have to create them) and both Mkhitaryan & Pogba and constantly being closed down, we still struggle to raise the tempo and find the right combinations between the lines.

But the greatest thing of all is that we have a settled starting lineup, understandable and logical strategies and every player seems to know his role on the pitch. And after the Moyes debacle, LvG's experimentation in both system and personnel and Mourinho's -get to know the team- first season this brings a great sense of relief and makes me hope that the best is yet to come.

Last edited:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
That's how you make love. Slow, patient build up until there is space to penetrate. Sooner or later they alway open up if you remain solid.
It's must be extremely frustrating if they're nowhere near finishing themselves though.

Devil may care

Hard game for 75 minutes, Swansea were stubborn and we were in control but not creating enough, then we exploded in the last 10 minutes and put them to the sword with some impressively clinical attacking.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
fecking amazing. Counterattacking football at its finest.
I will admit that the goals scored via a counter-attack are the most exciting.
No more LVG-esque slow ponderous build up play.
We are going from back to front to goal in about 10 seconds flat.

And the best thing about counter attacks, is that this tactic should work against even the best teams in the World.

vodrake

In other news, the dichotomy between matchday threads and the actual matches was again on display today.
I was following on Eurosport web commentary and checking the matchday thread occasionally, was 2 separate matches happening :lol:

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
Perfect birthday present !!! Thank you

PieCrust

I'd like to see Martial in for Mata. Mata hasn't really been effective in either match so far and I think Martial deserves a start.

wolvored

1. Rashford is great to watch. Needs to stop trying too hard and look for more pass and go options in his attacking. Also, practice finishing with Martial. Swap these 2 around and start with Martial and we would score more and earlier.
  2. Jones has been really good at the back. I think he has played well so far, and is a great companian to Bailly in the centre. The only cloud on the horizon is the eventual injury and 3-4 months out which will inevitably happen
  3. Blind is not working very well at LB. He is limited,but he has great positional strength. Just wish he would cut the back passes out as when he goes forward he usually contributes
  4. Valencia is very limited, very being an understatement
  5. FellainI seems to be a lucky charm sub for Mourinho
  6. Mkhitaryan is going to be critical in our success this season. He also fades in and out, but always seems to have a goal or assist in him
  7. Martial is a rare talent that shouldn't be squandered away by bad management. As mentioned in No. 1, swap them around
  8. Lukaku can go very missing for large periods of the game, but, who cares as long as he scores when it matters
  9. Mata does a lot of off-the ball work that goes unnoticed
  10. First goal for Bailly. Yaay! Very good defender who brings out the best in Jones
  11. Matic. Matic. Matic. Enough Said The missing link!
  12. Pogba kept his cool after the foul following Yellow and was still very effective in both bringing the ball forward and finishing off in front of goal. Looks a lot better further forward, and his link up with Matic is looking promising
  13. Herrera looked lively. Yes hes the fall guy at the moment as Matic is a superior player, but its a squad game and he will have chances.
  14. Personally, it was satisfying to not see Lingard run on to the field. Wouldn't mind if Andreas took his place on the bench
4-0. Again. Top of the table for another week, for sure unless City scores 7 against Everton on Monday.

Can't wait for Leicester at home. Another destruction. Will be good to see how we handle real pace from Vardy and Mahrez. Saying that we havent done too badly since last year against them
Agreed with a lot of what you said and added my 2 cents worth

gorky_utd

Very happy with the result but we need improvement in fullback positions. matic again brilliant.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Hey, that Spanish CB, Fernandez or Fernandes, whatever, he was very solid. Very impressive showing from him today.

Edit: Turns out he is from Argentina.

lococol

It reminded me of York and Cole tearing Arsenal a new one. Absolutely buzzing.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Did you just see a clip of Mourinho pretending to smoke a cigar?!:lol::lol::lol:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Another enjoyable game.

Gradually wore down Swansea, patient and controlled.
Everyone played well again. Solid at the back and great pressing by everyone.
Pressed the accelerator in the second half and Martial made a big impact.

Pogba MoM. Love the look of this team.

Mr Jose Mourinho, I beg you not to make the same mistake after we won the first 3 last season - please do not let Lingard anywhere near this team.

AshRK

Funny how rivals are saying they have played two worst teams. Only if we have been beating these so called worst teams in last 3 seasons we would be in top 3 and even challenging for the title. If we keep on beating the so called worst teams then we will be challenging for the title come april or even winning it come.may.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 39% of 1161 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 909 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Swansea win
  • Draw