PL W FA Premier League

Swansea City 0:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2017

HJ12

Must be said that there were lots of good performances out there but Phil Jones was class today. Reading of the game and mop up play was excellent, especially when the game was still tight. Long may it continue!
Can't wait for Leicester!

Acole9

Outstanding
Another good performance but not as good as the West Ham one. Swansea were difficult to break down but when the second goal went in they just fell apart. I think they'll be more annoyed about the score line rather than the defeat itself.

As for ourselves, we've got to forget about this one now and focus on the next match.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Saw on the Beeb that it's our best start in 110 years :eek:
Was nervous for most of the game (the last few years did that!) but that last 3 goal spell was amazing:D
Onwards and upwards lads.
I'd completely forgotten that sometimes breaking records can be a positive thing :lol:

I think the last 3 goals did add a bit of 'unmerited' (probably not the best word) gloss to the scoreline. We didn't play well throughout like West Ham, only really in fits and starts. However, I'm so so happy that we did punish them in that 5 minute spell. We need more of that. Not only does it boost our GD and add more entertainment to the match, but it will filter through to other teams. We need to regain some that fear factor. Last season a team could be 1-0 down but be comfortable in the belief that they'll get a chance. If they know we can be as ruthless as that it gives them something to worry about.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was a pretty solid away display, that we'd all have been happy with at 1-0 - in charge, and hardly threatened.
But that second goal and us putting the hammer down will be a wakeup for the rest of the league of what we're capable of now.
League winning teams have to have a capability to score at will. That's what we've missed for the last 3 years, be it down to Van Gaal's soulless style of play, or last year's terrible chance completion.

Pace and power all over, and real competition for places now. Martial and Herrera are chomping at the bit to get in and would keep us just as strong. Mata is the one in our front 6 who isn't as fast and mobile, but you can have the one, it's been when we've a lot of Mata, Rooney, Fellaini, modern day Carrick, VP, Ibra all combined we've had problems.

Fellaini and Lingard are support players now, as they should always have been.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
4 goals - love it.

Two games, 6 points, 8 scored, 0 conceded.

Jose Mourinho is alright isn't he?
I still remember the thread when Jose was first linked to join us.
There was a massive meltdown, people were moaning, in hysterics, saying that he will destroy our club and how they wanted LVG to continue. Imagine that :D

sunama

Baghdad Bob
For the first time in what feels like ages we're watching a proper united side
This is true.
For the first time I am not hoping, but believing and expecting that we are going to beat our opponents.
Not only that, but I am almost demanding that we score a hat full of goals.

Natener

The 80 minute thing is not an issue. The possible issue - too early to call - is that we struggle to create chances until the opposition have nothing to lose and open up the game.
It's not a problem exclusive to us. PL teams can be incredibly hard to break down when they play defensively. City took 70min last week to score against Brighton, Spurs 60min against 10men Newcastle, Liverpool 70min against Palace today. Arsenal scored 4 last week and yet Stoke shut them out today. Teams setting up defensive against the top sides haven't been ripped apart from the first instance so far. We are faring better than the others actually given we have managed to create that first goal before HT so far.

krazyrobus

It's not a problem exclusive to us. PL teams can be incredibly hard to break down when they play defensively. City took 70min last week to score against Brighton, Spurs 60min against 10men Newcastle, Liverpool 70min against Palace today. Arsenal scored 4 last week and yet Stoke shut them out today. Teams setting up defensive against the top sides haven't been ripped apart from the first instance so far. We are faring better than the others actually given we have managed to create that first goal before HT so far.
Too rational. When teams put 9 men behind the ball, 5 goals minimum is expected by 30 mins.

caid

I thought our first half performance wasn't great tbh.
The timing of the goal couldn't have been better really,
we kind of looked like we were starting to run out of ideas a bit and a couple of players weren't playing brilliant
My view is tempered a bit by expecting Swansea to be a bit crap this season I guess ...

2nd half was pretty perfect though.
I gave Martial motm, I'm a bit of a fanboy but I think he helped a lot

Skåre Willoch

Love our depth at CB. Has been oh so good every time he's been healthy for a stretch of time, and is making it really hard to bench him in the future. Him and Bailly really look like quality, complimenting each others style of play. Now i just pray for him to stay healthy for a while.

Edit: Forgot to put the name of the hero in there. Phil Jones, everybody.

Parry Gallister

Much as we can gripe about the score not reflecting how difficult a match that was, banging them in when we're shite against a tough defence is something we've been missing awhile, hope we can keep it up this season, it's a very good habit

Sparky Rhiwabon

In both games so far, we have scored most of our goals once we've brought on Fellaini and / or Herrera and allowed Pogba to bomb forward. Does this suggest that we should do this from the start? Pogba seems unstoppable in that role.

Ashley R1+O

Swansea were well up for it and we couldn't finish off our chances but then once that second one went in the air went out of them and the stadium and we absolutely put them to the sword with some vicious counter attacking. Satisfyingly beautiful stuff. This team is something special and will take some serious performances to be beating.

mav_9me

As I wrote in another thread that's where first goal is all important.

That's also where lukaku is so useful with his pace and mobility to counter cuz those opportunities will be there even when they park the bus, as seen in our first goal against West Ham.
The other thing is set piece goals.

Eric Chin

a big credit should go to Martial on the 2nd goal for pulling a bunch of defender with him while meeting a standing Mkhi which spotted an idling Lukaku.Good job to Lukaku too on that goal for making himself available in a good position.

Friction

It was a good game today, but not quite as openly fluid as the West Ham game. Honestly, it looked like Swansea were playing for a draw. Once they had to come out of their defensive shell, that's when we started hammering them with counter after counter. Pogba, Mhki, and Matic had a good game, as did Bailly and Jones in defense.

Green_Red

Swansea stifled us for a good while in that game. They played really deep and were very compact. They actually did very well defensively for the first 60 minutes.

I knew when Fellaini was coming on we were going route one and it worked perfectly and we scored the goals.

Other teams better than Swansea might cause us problems this season but if we can keep winning games like this on the road we'll definitely be title contenders next march / april.

I would have been happy with a scrappy 1-0 away win considering last season we would have probably drawn a game like this.

Great result though. We look very dangerous on the counter attack.

This team are young, not winning the league at some point would be an absolute waste for this group of players. Id like to think they'll win in Europe again at some point too.

As one of Joses biggest critics before he came I have to eat my hat. He is doing a fantastic job. We are looking dangerous again.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Great result but trying not to get too carried away. We started off great last season too but came unstuck when we met City. If we can get through the big games unscathed up to Christmas we will be in good shape.

M4nu4Life

Bailey was great defensive. The goal was a bonus. We still need to work on our crosses.

Great to see us scoring from free kicks.

Martial keeps the ball clued to his feet. He is very dangerous, and very hard to tackle.

Rushford needs to slow down before the shot a bit more, but his speed is deadly. The differences make them a good combo.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The 5 minute spell was just pure joy to watch today. Some lovely goals and we looked very dangerous however...

36 games to go, huge amount still to do. We haven't faced a decent side yet, we haven't gone behind yet, we haven't had injuries, we haven't played Champions League in midweek.

I think Jose should (and will I think) be keeping everyone grounded and focused.

There have been far too many false dawns in the last 4 years to feel content we've turned a corner yet IMO.

Klopp_De_Klown

I will never understand why Chelsea sold Matic to us or even contemplated of selling him. It is pure madness.
He wanted to join Jose again and was determined to do it. Think he wanted to come last year but was not allowed

ghagua

In both games so far, we have scored most of our goals once we've brought on Fellaini and / or Herrera and allowed Pogba to bomb forward. Does this suggest that we should do this from the start? Pogba seems unstoppable in that role.
Mata and Rashford going off opened up the game in both matches. It was towards the end of the match, but Mkhitaryan had more room to operate, and Martial scared defenses with pace and dribbling.

Tapori

Lack of width worrying. Need Shaw back ASAP. Need a Valencia stand in. Think Jose will love to try
his 3 at the back formation soon.
Very good latter half performances. Need to see how team handle going behind. Rashford needs to keep working on that finishing; it will come.
Lukaku needs to make better runs.
I miss Herrera.
Fellaini frees Pogba. Interesting. Not shutting up shop but using counter devastation with Pogba ready to pounce when teams come at us.
Jones-Bailly solid.
Mikhitaryan needs to do better when no-space. Whole team need to really stretch play more when tight cramped opponents.

Type of game last season would have been 1-1.

lococol

I will never understand why Chelsea sold Matic to us or even contemplated of selling him. It is pure madness.
They have no choice. They can't 'own' every good player. Apparently Chelsea have 62 players on pro contracts. He was deemed surplus to requirements for them and they needed to bring some cash in. Its great though isnt it? Just like when Mata was surplus and we reaped the benefits.

barmyarmy

We have now scored 2 goals from set pieces in 2 games, In games where we are struggling this can be a lethal weapon in securing us 3 pts

Nakhon Phanom

The scoreline was a bit harsh on Swansea but you have to give credit to United for their clinical finishing.
Some excellent performances out there,notably Jones,Pogba and Bailly.
I have to admit I was a little bit worried for Pogba after he was booked then did another hard tackle.The ref gave him a talking to and I reckon,another similar tackle,and he would have been red carded.....so kudos to Pogba for keeping his cool for the rest of the match.

World Game

Still not convinced about our ability to break down a bus. First goal against West Ham was a counterattack while they were out of position. First goal against Swansea was from a set piece. From then on its easier to score the following goals once the other team is forced to be more adventurous and punish them on the counter. I would like to see if we can make the breakthrough via an open play non-counter attacking goal while the other team is in their defensive positions. Both games we were poor up until the opening goal. We look great after it is 1-0 but by then it is already a completely different game.

NYAS

The 80 minute thing is not an issue. The possible issue - too early to call - is that we struggle to create chances until the opposition have nothing to lose and open up the game.
That was certainly not the case in the West Ham game. I think there's an element of trying too hard to not get carried away when people keep saying this. West Ham tried that and got destroyed from the beginning in terms of chances. And regardless of that, it's quite natural for teams to struggle to break down parked buses. In such cases, as long as we get the win, I'm not bothered, because such teams would rarely pose a threat going the other way.

Klopp_De_Klown

Still not convinced about our ability to break down a bus. First goal against West Ham was a counterattack while they were out of position. First goal against Swansea was from a set piece. From then on its easier to score the following goals once the other team is forced to be more adventurous and punish them on the counter. I would like to see if we can make the breakthrough via an open play non-counter attacking goal while the other team is in their defensive positions. Both games we were poor up until the opening goal. We look great after it is 1-0 but by then it is already a completely different game.
Dont worry mate, "Ze reality of it is.." if we continue to demolish these busses in the first 7 matches have an ok, to middling, run aginst the 3 big sides and Huddersfield. The bus wont be considered a viable option anymore

Teams use/have used the bus against us because it has worked in the last few years. If the bus proves ineffective they will change tactic. Better to lose giving it a go then try shut up shop and lose anyway.
SO hopefuly we dont have to view it for too much longer.

Mindhunter

I am not going to rephrase all the positives that have already been mentioned numerous times on this thread.

The negatives that I could see were the wings. Blind and Valencia don't seem to have the knowhow of playing like an attacking full-back. Multiple times in the first half we got stuck trying to unlock the narrow defence through the centre but neither Blind or Valencia were high enough on the sidelines to be considered as a passing option to spread the play and stretch their defence. To win multiple competitions, we do need some solid attack minded players at FB i.e. if the three behind Lukaku want to play narrow through the centre.

Klopp_De_Klown

Multiple times in the first half we got stuck trying to unlock the narrow defence through the centre but neither Blind or Valencia were high enough on the sidelines
yep you may have a point here, there seems to be a lack of cohesion between or FB an the rest of the attack

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 39% of 1161 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 909 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Swansea win
  • Draw