PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sat, 08 August 2015

FujiVice

Spurs are a very good side. Its not like we were playing Sunderland. I'd have taken that before the game.

Leg-End

If you judge it based on the defensive performance and result it was excellent but I just don't like how toothless we look going forwards.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Mike Smalling, what a man.
Romero impressed me.
Damian looks fantastic

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You got lucky. There was very little between the two teams.

buckooo1978

No improvement from last season

6 out of 10
Dull in attack
stupid stupid sub of Darmian (injury perhaps but let's face it LVG is known for this)
Good start by Morgan
Shaw a beast
Smalling our best defender

As for up front - at least 1 signing needed and Rooney needs to improve asap

vidic blood & sand

United seriously lacked sharpness and fitness, and were physically finished in the last 5 minutes there. Great win for us considering.
We'll get sharper and fitter with games. Really liked Schweinsteiger when he came on. It was like having Roy Keane back. Memphis will have to adapt to the pace, he looked a bit memorized by the whole thing. Rooney must stop wandering back into midfield. Glad for the 3 points, and well get much better than that.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
We won the game. Sod all the down beat doom mongerers. First game of the season and we have 3 points. Get the feck in
This

I'm really delighted not sure why so we have so many depressed heads

A tough opening game, a load of debutants including a keeper. Defending very well, some impressive link up play up front in the first half

Things will obviously improve in terms of performances

3 points and football is back you bunch of shits

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Complete garbage. Basically finished 0-0 if we didn't get the tremendous luck. Rooney completely anonymous again and he's meant to score 20 goals this season hahaha. A wins a win but we have to improve by a hell of a lot.

Only Positives were Damian looks class, Memphis too and smalling is solid at the back.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Eye watering amounts of money spent.....outplayed by Tottenham, had our 1st shot on target after 65 minutes while a number of our better players play out of position or don't play at all. Philosophy.
Very fair comment. There was an ocean of space between our defensive six and our attacking four. No cohesion in the team at all. Van Gaal's meant to be a tactical genius. If that's how he sets us up to play the likes of Arsenal and City, who overload midfield with bodies, we may get massacred.

We smashed Spurs easily playing 4-3-3 only a few months ago. In his wisdom Van Gaal has ditched everything that delivered that result and the wins at JuAnfield and in the Manchester derby. I've seen no explanation of why besides his claim that playing this way gives us more 'balance'. What I'm seeing suggests otherwise.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Spurs are a very good side. Its not like we were playing Sunderland. I'd have taken that before the game.
Nah Spurs are shite. Especially against bigger teams. But obviously I'll take the 3 points, most important thing. If we upped the pace a bit or went for it more, we could have scored 3 or 4 though, spurs really aren't good, at all. Their midfield is non existant.

Eriku

Last 20 mins were always going to be nervy without that second goal to give us a cushion. Thought Darmian and Schneiderlin did really well. Virtually the moment Valencia came on he showed his lack of defensive awareness and made Smalling take over right back duty for a dangerous situation... really don't like that LvG still sees him as a candidate for right back.

I'm happy to see us comfortable for most of the match. Would prefer to see us carve out more clear chances, but I'll take a slow start where we pick up points. Lord knows our favourite seasons sees us finish strong in terms of overall play more often than we start off strong.

Godfather

Dire performance form us. We looked very tired. Especially up top we look fecking shite. Nothing that wasn't expected though. Mata is no winger. Young is no Neymar and Rooney saw no balls. We've been good defensively though.

Devil may care

I'm not sure we actually had a single shot on target and created next to nothing, the wide areas are barren. Darmian and Smalling were both very good though and the midfield was mostly solid.

Jacob

No improvement from last season

6 out of 10
Dull in attack
stupid stupid sub of Darmian (injury perhaps but let's face it LVG is known for this)
Good start by Morgan
Shaw a beast
Smalling our best defender

As for up front - at least 1 signing needed and Rooney needs to improve asap
Let me get this straight, you're giving LvG criticism, even when he is right? I'm done.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Poor performance and more worryingly we look miles away from being able to compete for the title.

Blind is too weak and too slow as CB and Rooney was poor again but must say Mike was outstanding.

DevilRed

Good result but thought we could have scored more goals if we had actually taken a more attacking approach.

We look like we are set up for the counter attack but we don't have the pace to capitalize on it. Carrick and Schneiderlin were intercepting balls and winning tackles all over the park. We had a few opportunities in the first half to score from those but our attack let us down a bit.

Smalling was terrific. Still think Jones is the best partner for him. Surely we cant be serious about having Blind there for the rest of the season. Shaw has electric pace but probably one of his quieter games.

Darmian looks like he has been here for years. Looking like a terrific signing. Really pleased with how all our new signings performed.

Memphis probably is better off on the wing. I like Ashley but he doesn't provide enough firepower. Too many mishit shots/crosses. Depay would be better in that position. We'd probably also do well to get Pedro and have an actual pacy right winger too.

Todd

I'll take 3 points from a disappointing performance over playing very well and having a match stolen away at the end any day.

I think the biggest concern today was that the attack still looks toothless.

I don't think I like Memphis in the middle, should've switched him and Mata.

lilcurt

Done the job. Need to get the GK situation sorted asap but Romero looked good today (though he made me nervous with his passes). Sign another striker and a CB, sort GK and we're good to go.
Thought Romero was bloody good today considering it's his debut and he didn't have a preseason. Not saying he should be our longterm number one, but lets give the guy some credit.

For me we really need a striker, Rooney... well I'm not going to lambast him but he doesn't offer what we need up top. As good as Mata was, that front 3 needs to be made up of pace as well as ability.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Didn't like the fact that Van Gaal substituted Darmian for Valencia. The Italian was our best player today along with Sergio Romero and in the last ten minutes Tottenham had 2-3 chances from the right and Valencia was at fault.

Overall, delighted that we've started with a win. We were a bit drab up front, but it's to be expected - it's the first game. We need another attacking player though - Pedro would do just fine.

Carrick was below par and so was Schneiderlin, but they'll get better. Smalling was solid and even though Blind is a neat player to have for a possession style and reads the game very well, he loses almost every aerial battle, so I'm against using him as a CB. Maybe only as a last resort. I was shitting it in the end when they started hoofing the ball towards our goal.

Bring on Villa!

lem8sh

Very fair comment. There was an ocean of space between our defensive six and our attacking four. No cohesion in the team at all. Van Gaal's meant to be a tactical genius. If that's how he sets us up to play the likes of Arsenal and City, who overload midfield with bodies, we may get massacred.

We smashed Spurs easily playing 4-3-3 only a few months ago. In his wisdom Van Gaal has ditched everything that delivered that result and the wins at JuAnfield and in the Manchester derby. I've seen no explanation of why besides his claim that playing this way gives us more 'balance'. What I'm seeing suggests otherwise.
We will get massacred, absolutely torn to shreds.

van Persie

Can you change your man of the match vote? I went with Darmian but should've taken Smalling tbf. Saved us with some key interceptions and was overall really good.

Overall it was very up and down, but first game of the season is always a bit shaky especially with a bunch of new players. 3 points is what matters.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Positive: we're not so frustratingly hesistant & indecisive as we were.
Negative: if we're going to be content to grind out results, we might as well aim to avoid relegation and not achieve the title/top 4.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Was really impressed with Smalling and Darmian(he will be this seasons favourite signing). Good to see Bastian and Herrera get some minutes. With Carrick and Morgan sitting so deep in front of the defence there was not great linking up with the attack. Mata works his socks off. Rooney was underwhelming, he will get there eventually. Memphis showed a lot of promise.

stu_1992

I'll take the result. Not vintage by any stretch of the imagination, but getting a win against a reasonably big team on the opening day must be good for the players. Of course it can improve, we definitely need to sharpen our attack, but that will hopefully come with time.

Smalling and Darmian were the standouts I thought. Most disappointing player was Rooney it has to be said.

redmanc

Spurs started well and ended well. We generally did well in the bulk of the game but we didn't create many clear chances where as Spurs had enough to get 3 points out of this comfortably.

Rooney was poor throughout for me. Darmian superb. Smalling very good. Blind hit and miss. Mata good. Schneiderlin, Carrick and Schweini showed quality at key times in the middle period.

That said, it's a results business and this is a decent enough performance to build on from here. Great end result and on to the next one.
Rooney ran his socks off, the service to him was terrible and sluggish in a way you would expect from the first game of the season. He had two chances, one resulted in an own goal which would have been his goal had walker not shown up and the other was an extremely ambitious attempt at an overhead kick to even turn it into his second chance. Get a fecking grip.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Pretty dire stuff. At OT and just a couple shots on target. Unacceptable. LVG continues to disappoint if I'm being honest.

Our best player was Darmian. Love this guy already.

Rooney and Memphis were poor. Young was below average. Mata is...not a winger. Herrera was on when we were defending.

Though Carrick and Morgan did well enough. Bastian came on and immediately got a yellow and then nearly gave away a goal but settled more after that.

Shaw was acceptable but not getting forward enough for me. Blind was average. Smalling was very good.

Valencia came on for Darmian and, can you believe it, all of a sudden they had all sorts of space in and around him. Just goes to show what we were missing.

Romero can't pass, we learned that. But, he did make a good account of himself when it mattered so you have to applaud him.

Still a lot of work to do. We need proper wingers. Young isn't good enough. Thought he was mostly bossed by Walker. He looks a one trick pony and once defenders know what he wants to do then he is neutralized. I am mostly really disappointed that some of our younger players didn't get a chance after how well they played in pre season. Surely at least Perreira deserved a shout.

At least we got the three points but if this performance is indicative of the season to come we won't be title contenders but should be able to get top 4 again.
Wow this is so overly negative

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
1st game of the season; happy with the 3 points. We will get better for sure.

togg

Didn't like the fact that Van Gaal substituted Darmian for Valencia. The Italian was our best player today along with Sergio Romero and in the last ten minutes Tottenham had 2-3 chances from the right and Valencia was at fault.

Overall, delighted that we've started with a win. We were a bit drab up front, but it's to be expected - it's the first game. We need another attacking player though - Pedro would do just fine.

Carrick was below par and so was Schneiderlin, but they'll get better. Smalling was solid and even though Blind is a neat player to have for a possession style and reads the game very well, he loses almost every aerial battle, so I'm against using him as a CB. Maybe only as a last resort. I was shitting it in the end when they started hoofing the ball towards our goal.

Bring on Villa!
errrr, the guy had cramp! You have to take him off otherwise its risks worse injury and he'd be out for a few weeks.

Rezyuz

I thought that the midfield was extremely sloppy and created some very dangerous mistakes. Looked like both Carrick and Schneiderlin had a bet with each other who could throw the most useless amount of cross passes. Don't see how people rated Carrick so high.

Rooney and Young both useless. Rooney was just embarrassing at times on his control and Young tried hard but got put down by Walker until it got embarrassing to see him try to beat him as well.

On the positive side our defense looked far more stable then i expected and Smalling and Darmian looked great. Depay had his touches but feels a lil desperate to shine. Don't get why he got taken off though as hes the only threat we got.

ManUnitedCanuck

Not a great performance, but 3 points which we needed.

Still struggling to create chances, which is concerning

Man of the Match

Chris Smalling image Chris Smalling 52% of 1303 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1065 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win