g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sat, 08 August 2015

mu77

meh - 3 points but shit up top. midf better , depay needs to build into the prem. the FNG at rb is very good. smalling did well.

Cina

"it's none of your business either"
"... fair point"

:lol:

Spoony

The People's President
Winning the United way is what I am used to. Today felt very much like another Pre-season match with van Gaal still not decided what team he wants. My big concern is we get through those qualifiers.

We'll grind our way into the CL stages. I'm not concerned about that. The first game seemed like a continuation of last season. I hope I'm wrong.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Does BT Sport have to mention that they have the UCL coverage in every fecking interview.

OneUnited24

I dont get all the negativity around here, Tottenham are a good team that made it difficult for us. Today i saw both teams that press the ball really well which made it hard for either team to get a rhythm together. We started the game badly but started to get more into it as the game went on.

It was the first game of the season against a top 6 side and we came away with 3 points, some may say the performance was pants but i actually didnt think it was that bad!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Lack of creativity was and still is a massive issue. At home teams should fear us, the crowd plays its part fantastically well but the team not so much.

Lewis.no.9

i cant believe ive read on here smalling not being good enough for us. he is a beast

Momochiru

Why is everyone saying we didn't have a shot for 60 minutes? Memphis had a shot in the first half - sure it lacked power, but Walker had to clear it off the line, otherwise it was going in.

Anyways - Darmian and Smalling were great. Memphis, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Young, Herrera and Schweinsteiger were very good too. Mata, Blind and Carrick were decent. Rooney needs to get in shape fast! Romero did very well as well - hopefully people will calm down a bit now regarding our GK situation.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Darmian and Carrick best players today. Shame they came off, Valencia at fault at least twice after he came on. Blind was crap in possession also. Romero done great.

Good result but improvements required

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
I'm happy with the match. We didn't play great, but we showed signs of some great attacking play a couple of times, and Young really should have scored at least one. We also had two free kicks from a dangerous spot, which should've been better executed. I liked the energy and flair of Memphis, would've wanted him to stay and Young out. Tottenham didn't really create that many problems for our defense, their biggest chance was the one by Eriksen after ten mins or so. Our defense looked solid overall, Darmian and Smalling the stand outs, and I was impressed with Romero.

Give the team a few matches and hopefully the attacking play will come.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why is everyone saying we didn't have a shot for 60 minutes? Memphis had a shot in the first half - sure it lacked power, but Walker had to clear it off the line, otherwise it was going in.

Anyways - Darmian and Smalling were great. Memphis, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Young, Herrera and Schweinsteiger were very good too. Mata, Blind and Carrick were decent. Rooney needs to get in shape fast! Romero did very well as well - hopefully people will calm down a bit now regarding our GK situation.
Shot at target.

Dylan94

i cant believe ive read on here smalling not being good enough for us. he is a beast
Agreed. I have really rated him for years now and he's turning into a solid week in week out starter for us.

Nik70

If you judge it based on the defensive performance and result it was excellent but I just don't like how toothless we look going forwards.
First game of the season and against a good team. We'll get better.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need to accumulate enough points until injuries force the manager to do what he should. Really poor to watch, almost fair to say 'as usual ' for us. So unimaginative and one paced going forward. Pedro can't come quick enough. And we need Young and Mata out of the team for my money.

I've said all summer that this team, especially with the way we are set up to play, will draw too many games. Today should have been the first.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The main crime is that the match was dull but three points and a clean sheet in the hot sun still make for a satisfying opening day with five debuts.

adamwest

This

I'm really delighted not sure why so we have so many depressed heads

A tough opening game, a load of debutants including a keeper. Defending very well, some impressive link up play up front in the first half

Things will obviously improve in terms of performances

3 points and football is back you bunch of shits
We shall enjoy our Saturday! Absolutely buzzing with the win. Losing at home against Swansea soured the mood and then some last season. I couldn't care less if we had 1% possession today as long as we brought the points home. There were definitely positives there too. Come on lads!

Dylan94

I dont get all the negativity around here, Tottenham are a good team that made it difficult for us. Today i saw both teams that press the ball really well which made it hard for either team to get a rhythm together. We started the game badly but started to get more into it as the game went on.

It was the first game of the season against a top 6 side and we came away with 3 points, some may say the performance was pants but i actually didnt think it was that bad!
Exactly what I've been saying. It's game one for god sake.

Leg-End

First game of the season and against a good team. We'll get better.
Ofcourse we will but I don't think currently we have enough in our locker if we truly want to mount a serious challenge.

DevilRed

Agreed. I have really rated him for years now and he's turning into a solid week in week out starter for us.
And Jones is going to be just as good if we actually play him. Don't see why people underrate them so much. They've had terrible injury prone seasons. That's the only thing keeping them from forming a top class partnership at the back.

Raw

Just think back to last season, it took 4 (FOUR) games to get our first win and we faced the likes of Swansea, Burnley, Sunderland and QPR.

I have faith that it'll improve.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It's quite obvious that having established first-team players at the back has made us very solid and organised there. Even Romero looked quite assured and confident in his game. Darmian, Smalling, Blind, and Shaw were all very good at the back. I've been very impressed by Blind, who looked very assured at the back and demonstrated excellent positioning and reading of the game. The role suited his more reserved passing as well as he wasn't looked upon to supply the front 4. Shaw looks quite settled at the back and is starting to show us who he really is, and I'm so happy that we were able to secure him for, hopefully, a very long time. When Darmian went off, we looked shaky on the right side, and that says lots about his defensive quality. His positioning, reading of the game, marking, and anticipation were all top notch, and after seeing him for Torino and Italy, I knew that we were getting a potentially world class full back.

Beyond the defence, our team looks like they have yet to fully gel together. The midfielders and forwards were playing too safely, and the passing wasn't that incisive. The movement was missing from the front 4, and we weren't sharp and precise in the final third. At least we've got one bad attacking performance out of the way with 3 points in the bag. However, we need a more assured and proper attacking midfielder instead of a winger in Memphis playing there. It's quite obvious that the role doesn't suit him, but van Gaal also wants to play Mata, and he's had to make a compromise for that. I'd much rather have Herrera as a #10 in place of Mata than Memphis there.

Oh well, 3 points and a winning start to the season. That's a 100% better than last season.

Nik70

Ofcourse we will but I don't think currently we have enough in our locker if we truly want to mount a serious challenge.
Sorry to bring out the old cliche, but it's a marathon not a sprint. The most important thing today was the 3 points. We had some good defensive performances too and that bodes well for the season. It's a good foundation to build on.

Hammerfell

I agree. Surprised he was subbed off.
He's 34 and it's the first game of the season, he was knackered.

Decent performance, the attack is still an issue but I think the defence was pretty solid all game. The difference between Darmian and Valencia was striking, he was very good today.

Man of the Match

Chris Smalling image Chris Smalling 52% of 1303 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1065 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw