PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sat, 08 August 2015

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Solid start and a win more important than a dazzling performance - never felt in any danger other than first 15 minutes when we were a bit slow out of the blocks. Pretty solid defensively and Smalling MOM, warming to Blind partnering him, physical + calmness, just need to have a consistent partnership.
We do need a more attacking threat and if we are to sign anyone he has to be creative. Memphis will take a bit of time to get used to the PL but he will. Communication needs to improve as quite a few times players dispossessed as they weren't aware of players behind them

Jagga7

Ol' Harry looked like it was on crack on BT sport, he kept twitching and never once looked up when he was speaking.

dave2528

Smalling was absolutely vital today. Best match I think I've ever seen him play. Romero...he's a bit of a wildcard with the ball at his feet and those parry's we're about the most butt-puckering moments of the entire match but, he did put in a few decent saves and didn't look a complete disaster.

Actually, I thought that we didn't put in all too bad of a performance considering it's the first match of the season.

I think Memphis needs to be put out on the flank. He wasn't all that effective in the role of number 10 and it was obvious with Carrick and Schneiderlin playing together that we lacked in our buildup play through the middle of the pitch. We can't keep playing through the wings hoping to cross the ball into Rooney and expecting the best results.

I guess my one complaint is in the substitution area. I thought the Valencia<->Darmian substitution was odd. I'm assuming that it was due to Matteo being gassed? Considering we looked a bit more disheveled and non-cohesive after the subs...I'm kinda thinking bringing on Schweinsteiger for Carrick was a mistake and maybe we should have brought Herrera on for possibly Young and shunted Memphis out to the left? I don't know.

Anyway...early days and we picked up a victory on opening day, where we almost always play like we just returned from summer vacation.

POF

First game of the season so not surprising that it was very disjointed. The attack remains the biggest worry. Looked most dangerous when turning possession over today. Really lacked creativity. Memphis looked the most likely to spark something with some individual skill but he cannot link play as a #10 and the other 2 in midfield play so deep. It's hard to see how that 11 in that system will have more cohesion.

Darmian and Smalling were excellent. Apart from his kicking Romero was very good too. Memphis showed some promising signs. Schneiderlin and Young were disappointing. Blind did well enough but was bullied physically too often.

The Herrera sub was a poor one for me. Right player coming on but it was too negative a move with so long left in the game. Valencia . . . . . I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Sylar

We know what we already knew at the end of last season.
We need a top class pacy striker.
We need a leader at the back (to possibly play with Smalling).

vanrooney

Darmian and Smalling were superb, Blind did ok imo with one stinker and shaw was ok - he and Young had a very good Walker against them so they didnt shine. Nevertheless it seems our Def is sorted, the central midfield had control for long parts of the game and upfront there were some signs it could click - although some speed would be great (eg Pedro). Against a good Tottenham team and for the first game of the season it was a ok game - and most importantly we got the points. Just compare the game to the first game of last season - i am positive

Top of the league ;-)

Lewis.no.9

fair play to blind and romero today but spurs were toothless. way bigger tests ahead

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I'm getting tired of ever seeing wing play down one side. It would be simple just to swap Mata and depay around through the match.

JackXX

Nice to get the three points although from an attacking point of view I'm not sure how much we deserved it. Was very impressed with our defenders though I thought Smalling & Darmian were superb.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
1-0.
We got 3 points and I am happy that we are not giving Chelsea a head start (like last season).

I want to highlight that in our last 7 league games we have scored 3 goals (+ today's own goal, by Spurs).

Before the game, many fans were saying we would score 2-3 goals. Myself: I cannot see us even scoring 1 goal right now.
Another fact: we had 1 shot on target.

I will add that 3 goals in 7 games is something I would expect from a team in the relegation zone. This is definitely not league championship form.

Lets summarise.
We lost:
RVP
Falcao
Di Maria

We bought:
Depay

IMO, we are now worse in attack than last year and unless we either change our system OR buy an absolutely World class striker (someone of the ilk of Suarez), we will have another tough season.
Although Spurs lost (due to their own goal), they look like a side who want to attack and can score goals. We don't look like we can score goals.
Some people are saying that when Pedro arrives, this will change things. I don't believe this. I think Pedro, will struggle and I don't believe Pedro is as good as Di Maria.
IMO we need a center forward who has EPL experience. Someone like Ronaldo, Bale, Aguero.

And finally, what about our new players?
Memphis: He is young and not a player who will give us immediate impact. While Di Maria, Bale, Ronaldo, etc are expected to provide immediate impact, Memphis can take his time and spend a season acclimatising. I think he has now realised that the EPL is a totally different animal to the Dutch league. Hopefully fans wont expect too much of him, otherwise they may give him the "Di Maria treatment" (ie. lost of abuse).
Bastian: I never expected much from him. He looks old and Guardiola was saying that Bastian has not been fit for 3 years. But when he came on, he came on with authority...like a boss. He was attempting to run the show. If this guy can stay fit, I think he should be made Captain. I just don't believe that Rooney is Captain material.
Darmian: He surpassed my expectations. First EPL game and he played well. When he came off, our defence was immediately weakened. This guy could become a club legend, if he continues to play like this.
Morgan: I didn't even realise he was on the pitch. Maybe its just me. So I wont say much about him.
Romero: If he can continue to play like this in every game, I am happy for him to take over from DDG. I have no complaints about this guy. I do prefer DDG though. DDG, for me, is the best GK in the World.
Good post, although I'll disagree about losing Falcao..and Chicha is back so that is one in, with Pedro expected in.I think Pedro works well in a system, if its not working, he'll struggle too..but LVG has to change his team set up, this is on him..we have enough good players to atleast play attractive non-zombie football.

Shimo

Not match fit or sharp it seems. Perhaps playing such few games in preseason. But a boost in having a full squad and long term since league is a marathon and not a sprint

Jacob

Seems to be a recurring occurrence that our center halves have the most passes in the game. Don't know what to make of it.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm one of the manager's biggest supporters and I'm also not a reactionary to an individual result/performance but that for me was quite poor. Delighted with 3 points and think it was vital we got them, our defence actually looked pretty solid but attacking wise we were shockingly impotent.

Really thought we'd step up with the good spell after the goal but that was as good as it got and second half we were awful in attack.

However, stuff to build on and I'm saying this after a win so let's move on.

Donut

So many times Young gets the ball with acres of space yet does nothing. Same goes for Mata I guess but at least he keeps possession.

Pedro can't come soon enough.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
When we played 3 in midfield, yeah?
You're trying to predict the result of a game not played after the first of the season. I remember so many comments on here last season that we'd get 'torn to shreds' or similar and it didn't happen once.

So, we'll see what formation we play against them but I think its fairly unlikely we'll get battered by anyone.

NoLogo

We weren't good but I didn't really expect much from this game in terms of good football, way too many players still have to find their rhythm with the team.

Btw was I hallucinating or was Klopp in the stadium watching the game and making notes on a little notebook?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Smalling was absolutely vital today. Best match I think I've ever seen him play. Romero...he's a bit of a wildcard with the ball at his feet and those parry's we're about the most butt-puckering moments of the entire match but, he did put in a few decent saves and didn't look a complete disaster.

Actually, I thought that we didn't put in all too bad of a performance considering it's the first match of the season.

I think Memphis needs to be put out on the flank. He wasn't all that effective in the role of number 10 and it was obvious with Carrick and Schneiderlin playing together that we lacked in our buildup play through the middle of the pitch. We can't keep playing through the wings hoping to cross the ball into Rooney and expecting the best results.

I guess my one complaint is in the substitution area. I thought the Valencia<->Darmian substitution was odd. I'm assuming that it was due to Matteo being gassed? Considering we looked a bit more disheveled and non-cohesive after the subs...I'm kinda thinking bringing on Schweinsteiger for Carrick was a mistake and maybe we should have brought Herrera on for possibly Young and shunted Memphis out to the left? I don't know.

Anyway...early days and we picked up a victory on opening day, where we almost always play like we just returned from summer vacation.
Think so as I heard Owen saying something about cramps or such.

do9

Defence with romero and darmian looked excellent so that is refreshing. Result is also good.
Bad thing is our attack. We were awful.
And the thing that pissed me off the most is formation. We have players for 433, we played our best football with that formation so why this 442? Why, louis, why ffs?
Signings- darmian and romero excellent, schneiderlin and depay good( and will be better), scweinie needs matches.
I was biggest critic here about smalling and shaw. Chris was excellent today , i admit . But shaw... He is awful. Just awful. In attack he provides nothing, and in defence he was late couple of times, lucky for him that young came back. I repeat - shaw is awful!!!

Lennon

Eye watering amounts of money spent.....outplayed by Tottenham, had our 1st shot on target after 65 minutes while a number of our better players play out of position or don't play at all. Philosophy.
No. Process!

NC11

Not a lot of change from mid last season. Same challenges up front and defo need a commanding CH with Smalling. Enjoyed Darmian, and thought MS did okay alongside Carrick.

3 points was the aim and we got that.

Fully Fledged

I'm happy with the result but we need some creativity up front. 1 shot on target at OT is just not good enough.

That being said we won our first game of the season and the transfer window isn't closed yet.

Darmien and Romero played well.

Unlikely lad

We weren't good but I didn't really expect much from this game in terms of good football, way too many players still have to find their rhythm with the team.

Btw was I hallucinating or was Klopp in the stadium watching the game and making notes on a little notebook?

Maybe?

Charlie Foley

Wasn't great. Spurs were the better team at the start and finish. Not having a shot on target until the 64th minute was worrying, that being our only shot on target too (I think).

Ratings for me are like this:

Romero: 8-Looked very shaky at the start. Beaten for Eriksen's lob that went over. Really grew into it as the match progressed, however. Cut out a few crosses and made a few crucial saves. Thought he flapped at that header from the free when he could have held on, but on watching the replay fisting it was probably the right decision. The save a few seconds later made me feel better about it. Given the circumstances he's probably done as well as anyone expected.

Darmian: 8.5-Could arguably give him a 9. Looked really solid, and made some good runs forward. Noticed just how well he played with the madness when he came off. About as good a debut as you could ask for from a full back, unless you liked Buttner's more! I think it was @Imran520 who said on the pod that this sort of full back signing is the perfect type, and we saw that today. Confident and assured.

Smalling: 10- To be honest, his rating was going up and up almost each minute at the end there. Didn't expect him to start but relieved that he did. Wouldn't have seen a performance like that from Jones. Almost flawless, without him the best we're getting is a draw.

Blind: 6.5- Poor start. Got nutmegged by Kane early on and I was getting worried. He's fortunate that Smalling compliments his obvious physical issues (height and pace). However, he's an intelligent player, and he was better in the second half. Stepped out a few times to cover the space left by Shaw very well, as I said he might before the game. Don't remember much from him weathering that late storm though. Some good interceptions.

Shaw: 7- Some great moments. Looks leaner and really showed his pace a few times. Lost a point perhaps for getting caught out once or twice. Kane got the ball back off him very easily early on, and near the end Alderweireld went past him with ease. Other than that, played well.

Carrick: 7-Not as imperious as last season, but Spurs did press well which we know he doesn't love. Much like Darmian, we lost a bit of control when he went off. In fairness to him, he made a few important interceptions, and actually pressed their players (!). He's still going to be a key player for us this season.

Schneiderlin: 6- I expected a little more. Early on, he seemed surprised by Spurs pressing, which is strange as you would think he knows what to expect from Pochettino sides. He looked much more comfortable later on, as we grew into the match a little. However, when your fullbacks are playing well and you centre back is as busy as Smalling was, I think you need to look at your centre mids.

Mata: 6.5 Some lovely touches and passes at times, hit one great ball out to Young. However he lost possession terribly too, especially early on. Seemed genuinely energized by the prospect of Ander joining him on the field, and that brought his best spell as could be expected. Surprised he lasted the full 90 minutes. Expected more, as he was so good in this fixture last year. I feel a lot more comfortable with Darmian behind him, and I think they linked up well, but if Pedro comes in he's in trouble.

Memphis: 6- I don't think he's a number 10, at all, so I don't want to be too harsh. I'd like to see how he plays on the left in a 4-3-3. He seems a little one footed sometimes, he did play a lovely ball in to Young near the end of the first half that the latter kind of messed up. I reckon he'll grow into it, but I want to see him out wide where there's a bit more room. One shot in the first half after the Mata free that I remember, and he could have caught it better.

Young: 5- Poor. I know he kind of set up the goal, but he was poor. Putting the own goal aside, I thought Walker looked all too comfortable, Young looked very weak in all of their tussles. A couple of wasteful crosses, and seemed to not realize that he was swinging high balls in to Rooney and Mata at a combined height of about 7 ft 3. When he doesn't have Fellaini to aim at, he struggles, it seems. In fairness to him, he tries which is better than a few years ago, and he had all our shots on target, but it was our only shot and a bad one. Should have done better with the pass from Memphis in the first half. No way was that a dive though.

Rooney: 5- The hilarity of Walker knocking that into his own net covers up just how badly Rooney handled that situation. Didn't get a ton of service, sure, but basically was bailed out from messing up a tap in. Other than that, hit a nothing free into the Stretford End, and went for the spectacular on a nice cut back when, ironically, you could argue he needed to take a touch. Given out striking options right now we need a LOT more from him this season. Hopefully he's just rusty. Got a knee to the head which can't have helped, but he wasn't playing well before that.

Subs:

BFS: 6- I remember him doing one thing really well on the ball, but I forget what it was so maybe wasn't that good. Got booked, gave away another free or two. Still feeling his way into things which is fair enough. You'd hope he'll become a leader for us in panicked moments like late on today. Can't argue with his credentials, and that will give him a certain authority on field.

Herrera: 6.5-Not a whole lot to say, the players who started ahead of him arguably made more of claim for him to start next week than he did. Link up with Mata was good though as always, and his one touch passing in the middle is really important for us. Made the best impact out of all the subs.

Valencia: 4- What a difference having an actual right back makes! Responsible for an awful lot of arse-twitching when he came on. I've always like him, and I have more patience for him than most, I think. Darmian was twice as good as him and he got an 8.5, so I reckon Valencia gets about a 4.

lem8sh

You're trying to predict the result of a game not played after the first of the season. I remember so many comments on here last season that we'd get 'torn to shreds' or similar and it didn't happen once.

So, we'll see what formation we play against them but I think its fairly unlikely we'll get battered by anyone.
Yes depends on the formation but "if" we did line up against Arsenal for example like we did today I think they'd tear us a new one.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We weren't great but we weren't bad. First game of the season and not an easy one playing Spurs. So very happy to win any way we get it. Not worried about fancy play - I think first it's important to get a solid set of wins to ease us into the season, and that will bring confidence, which will in turn allow us to play with more freedom and panache.
So patience my fellow reds. Let's just focus on getting those 3 points and not losing ground on Chelsea et al.

siw2007

Thought we were lucky. Neither team were particularly great but spurs will be aggrieved not to get a point. Most importantly we got the three points.

We were boxed in in midfield and found it hard to get out. Having said that, smalling was superb while darmian and romero had good debuts.

Hopefully as we get fitter and get used to playing with each other, our performances will get better

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Underwhelming is an understatement. We would have drawn that last season I reckon but that doesn't make me feel any better. Oh well, 38 games and they're are not all crackers.

SalfordRed1960

Looking at this thread it look pointless downloading the match.
Usual culprits who can't see any good and totally underestimate the opposition.

Quite a few good performances from players, but also the same players who cause the problems.

Spurs learnt from last year and came at us very quickly. The goal was against the run of play,but really should not have been an own goal. A confident striker would have broken the net with the opportunity.

United kept shape, but did not press at the beginning giving Spurs confidence. They fell away badly after the goal.

Subs caused more of an issue as it gave Spurs upper hand.

Kag

That was Moyesball. 442 piss with huge gaps between the midfield and attack.

With the 433 last season we always had Herrera and Fellaini in attacking areas of the field. The reverse midfield tends to clutter the one man in the hole, and Depay is nowhere near ready to play that sort of role in the Premier League.

We control games well and our players do a lot of good things, but we need more goals and end product from the wide areas and we need to be more aggressive positionally.

This formation will fail, and we'll revert to something better eventually.

Man of the Match

Chris Smalling image Chris Smalling 52% of 1303 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1065 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw