PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sat, 08 August 2015

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think people are moaning a bit too much. Three or four players bedding in - that isn't easy, players still a bit short of match fitness (as will be the case in all the teams today) and there were some really promising performances by the new guys. The understanding will come -
It's not the new player that's shite

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yes depends on the formation but "if" we did line up against Arsenal for example like we did today I think they'd tear us a new one.
Time will tell but if LVG did one indisputable thing last season it was perform against the big teams. The bottom half is where I went tits up

Charlie Foley

Thanks.

That was a bit awkward at the end. :lol:
In fairness to the reporter, I thought he responded fairly well. Maybe a little embarrassed but he took it ok and I thought LVG saw that, which is why he started to smile straight away.

PvsNP

In fairness to the reporter, I thought he responded fairly well. Maybe a little embarrassed but he took it ok and I thought LVG saw that, which is why he started to smile straight away.
Oh, he did indeed. It was just a bit awkward initially.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wasn't the greatest showing today. Started off sloppy. We looked really nervous, and it shown in our passing. Caught on it a few times and were unlucky not to get punished by Spurs. Once we got the goal we started to settle down a bit and had some good moments.

Second half was a bit better. Kept it pretty well, but the ball wasn't played at a quick enough tempo.

I personally thought the subs that come on would have allowed us to control the game, but again, we never really took control of the game and tried to put the game to bed.

I think the main thing, as Rooney said, was the win today, but we'll need to start playing better if we want to challenge for the title.

Think the positives from the game was that we won, pressed pretty well (won the ball quite a lot in dangerous areas), débutants looked promising, especially Darmian and kept a clean sheet. Hopefully this will give us a bit more confidence going into the next game and we'll look better.

OneUnited24

Before the game, many fans were saying we would score 2-3 goals. Myself: I cannot see us even scoring 1 goal right now.
Another fact: we had 1 shot on target.

I will add that 3 goals in 7 games is something I would expect from a team in the relegation zone. This is definitely not league championship form.
How about the previous 7 games where we scored 15 goals against the likes of Tottenham, City, Liverpool? Last season after the City game we were set to finish in the top 4 and the players took their foot off the gas. Its not an excuse but it might have something to do with our poor form at the tail end of the season.

As for today i think people are getting far too carried away. I didnt really think Spurs were that dangerous outside that Eriksson chance but people are making it sound like they opened us up at will. Today was one of those tight games against a top opposition. Next people will be wondering why we didnt batter Chelsea

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Two things we seem to be lacking are runners off the ball and quick passing sequence. We are not a team with pace to burn, we should pass much better and a lot more quicker. But that aside, first game of season. We got 3 points. We controlled the likes of Kane and co quite comfortably and didn't look bad defensively either. The forward play is more worrying. We need players with pace other than Young to be able to play much better.

Nik70

How about the previous 7 games where we scored 15 goals against the likes of Tottenham, City, Liverpool? Last season after the City game we were set to finish in the top 4 and the players took their foot off the gas. Its not an excuse but it might have something to do with our poor form at the tail end of the season.

As for today i think people are getting far too carried away. I didnt really think Spurs were that dangerous outside that Eriksson chance but people are making it sound like they opened us up at will. Today was one of those tight games against a top opposition. Next people will be wondering why we didnt batter Chelsea
Good points. Except for the last few minutes when they threw everyone up front we contained them quite easily.

kr0nix

Defence with romero and darmian looked excellent so that is refreshing. Result is also good.
Bad thing is our attack. We were awful.
And the thing that pissed me off the most is formation. We have players for 433, we played our best football with that formation so why this 442? Why, louis, why ffs?
Signings- darmian and romero excellent, schneiderlin and depay good( and will be better), scweinie needs matches.
I was biggest critic here about smalling and shaw. Chris was excellent today , i admit . But shaw... He is awful. Just awful. In attack he provides nothing, and in defence he was late couple of times, lucky for him that young came back. I repeat - shaw is awful!!!
Harsh to single out Shaw when the likes of say, Rooney for example, was having a mare up front. He was just lucky that Walker happened to dispossess him into his own net, else he would've looked like a right fool.

sully1

Young was in Walkers pocket all match. Mata and Young on the wings doesn't really work for me, i don't know how long will it take for LVG to realise this.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why Tottenham keeps playing Chadli is beyond me, he's absolutely dreadful. He'll play good for 1 match, then turn to shit for 9 matches again.

adamwest

I dont get all the negativity around here, Tottenham are a good team that made it difficult for us. Today i saw both teams that press the ball really well which made it hard for either team to get a rhythm together. We started the game badly but started to get more into it as the game went on.

It was the first game of the season against a top 6 side and we came away with 3 points, some may say the performance was pants but i actually didnt think it was that bad!
Agreed! We delivered what needed to be done and were pretty decent for the majority of the match.

lem8sh

Time will tell but if LVG did one indisputable thing last season it was perform against the big teams. The bottom half is where I went tits up
True, with the team we have assembled we should be swatting the majority of the lower sides away but some of LVGs baffling tactics/selection could see us drop unnecessary points imho.

marlowe78

I don't know if I can stomach another season where our attack looks this poor. It's early days but if we insist on playing Young and Mata at the wings we are never going to be able to break through opponents. Pedro may help in this respect but the current setup obviously doesn't work.

Young had a good defensive game but his offensive play IMO was poor. Walker owned him the entire match and I don't know why LVG didn't tell him to switch sides and get away from him. I love Mata but he is too damn small to be given the role of propelling us on the right. Whenever he is confronted, he will get backed up 30 or 40 yards and the attack breaks down. Memphis is playing in too congested of an area as a central attacker and would be much more valuable if he's able to make runs on the wing in Mata's place.

The big positive today were Romero and the backline. All things considered, Romero handled things well and saved the 3 points. Darmian was immense in his debut and the back 4 looked much more solid. I hope after today we see that Valencia is not suitable as a RB and should frankly not be with United anymore. His 'performance' in replacing Darmian was a calamity and nearly cost us the game. By having Darmian to his right, Smalling stopped having to cover two positions at once and we looked much better for it. Blind looks very dodgy as a CB but he did well on the whole.

Rooney was quite flat. Midfield was good, taking Carrick off weakened us there considerably. Schweinsteiger did not have the best of a cameo but he needs time with the squad. I would give today 6/10, very lucky to have won that.

sully1

What was Rooney doing taking a touch when we scored. Awful decision making infront of goal.

Get In Scholesy

Quite pleased about the 3 points, won't sit here and nitpick after just the first game of the season. Pleased with all our debutants and Smalling was excellent. On to next week :)

RedStarUnited

There were too many bodies in midfield. Neither team could play through it really.

hbgreg

We're better off today than we were after three games last year.

dsch

We're better off today than we were after three games last year.
I thought this said we were better today than we were for all but three games last year, which wouldn't have been too far off the mark either.

buckooo1978

Let me get this straight, you're giving LvG criticism, even when he is right? I'm done.
No I was questioning whether it was an injury or not? I didn't see him injured but I've read he was cramping so fair enough - right to sub him

Moonred

Smalling and Darmian looked very good. I just hope they can remain fit. Darmian just looks a proper footballer. Memphis needs to run a bit more than wait for everything to be fed, but he has the look of a talented player and will kick on. We seem extremely cautious still, but with wins under the belt, must push on and be more adventurous. Good, important win.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Opening game is deceptive, the majority of times.

1998 and 2007 both started with draws and we hadn't even finished buying players. Let's also not forget we were bottom or something after 3 games in the 07/08 season.

If we're honest with ourselves, it was fairly shit out there. From both teams. However, 3 points on the board and the defence looked pretty good.

It will improve over time but, was more important to get off to a good start.

Von Mistelroum

We looked slow and laboured in attack & Rooney won't be bagging loads of goals this season.
Chris Smalling is a very good defender and with a good partner our goalkeeper wouldn't need to be world class.
Memphis, Mata and Blind look out of sorts being played out of position.
Schneiderlin needs settling time.
Darmian is excellent and Schweinsteiger looked classy when he came on for the most part.
Romero did ok in the second half but really shouldn't be our 1st choice.

Romero - grew into the game but he needs to get a lot better to start for us
Darmian - superb
Smalling - didnt make a mistake and made sure Blind didnt either
Blind - not a CB
Shaw - looked as good as he did at any point last season
Schneiderlin - threw himself about and kept them from settling
Carrick - couple of good passes but i barely knew he was on the pitch
Mata - took him 30 mins to wake up
Depay - looked confident and lively, a very p****doff to be subbed
Young - usual stepovers and no end product. Was fouled all game
Rooney - maybe we need to get a striker after all. Was almost more of a hinderance than a help.

Spoony

The People's President
This

I'm really delighted not sure why so we have so many depressed heads

A tough opening game, a load of debutants including a keeper. Defending very well, some impressive link up play up front in the first half

Things will obviously improve in terms of performances

3 points and football is back you bunch of shits

Obviously improve. It's that obvious isn't it Randall. Good, I've got faith in you even if LVG doesn't particularly convince me.

Man of the Match

Chris Smalling image Chris Smalling 52% of 1303 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1065 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw