FA W FA Cup Semi-final

Manchester United 2:1 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 April 2018

stu_1992

Excellent performance yesterday. I said in the match thread before the game began that our big players like Pogba and Sanchez need to show up, and show up they did. Great team performance. I was quite annoyed at both full backs for the goal we conceded, but after that I have no complaints.

Great game overall and I would have enjoyed that even if I was a neutral. Some nice goals. It's a shame that Rashford didn't get on the scoresheet at the end too, putting the game completely to bed. Even when we were 1-0 down, I felt like we would go on and win. It's been a long time since I have felt such confidence, and I guess it stems from the Chelsea and City games.

Jig1234

This is hilarious! - Matt Law offended by a trivial little joke. He even highlights that Kane 'returned from an ankle injury'... Let's all shed a tear for poor Harry.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

This is hilarious! - Matt Law offended by a trivial little joke. He even highlights that Kane 'returned from an ankle injury'... Let's all shed a tear for poor Harry.
You are right, but also a bit late, this tweet is in the Harry Kane thread.:)

AngliaRed

That’s 8 successive cup semi-finals in a row Spurs have lost. Not a record they want.
The only thing the Spurs players will be lifting this season is their lockers from White Hart Lane.

We’ll deserved and a good performance from all players, Herrera is my MOTM though.

Swift Football

I was a bit gutted for Rashford not scoring.

He's done this a lot now where he does great in dancing round players to create the chance then fluffs the last bit.
The top strikers should bury those chances for sure. But what he was trying yesterday was not that bad. Normally, he runs fast and goes towards outside leaving no angle to shoot. But yesterday , he felt he should come inside before shooting which was good decision. But he should have pulled the trigger little early.

Decipher

Fantastic result, Great goals and a fantastic comeback to beat Tottenham in their temporary home!

Mr PG

We have improved significantly since we stopped goin long every time we panic..ostensibly to avoid the press. Sevilla was a huge turning point since then we actually look to play football even against City's press.

tony54

How many times did those dirty c$nts stud our Achilles? Feck them.

Agreed and I cringed when I saw Dyer rake his boot down Lingard's Achilles towards the end of the game. I did notice that Pogba, had what seemed to be, an angry push against Dyer shortly after in their goal box. Managers should take videoo evidence to the FA because a lot of these stampings/scraping are premeditated. I used to like Dyer but not any more the cnut.

Cantonagotmehere

Wembley was fun today except for those bloody flags.

Rubbish until Spurs scored. After that it was a proper game

- The only thing Dembele has as a footballer is the ability to deliberately go around never getting muscled off the ball, then Pogba just pushes him off it like it's no problem, setting up a goal, basically destroying Dembele forever.

- Young is a constant worry at left back. I like him a lot but he still looks like someone pretending to be a left back. He let's himself get bullied in games...well let's himself is harsh, but it happens.

- Pogba had a good game I thought. Criminally at fault for the goal, but, in the past, whenever there is pressure on him or he makes a mistake, he goes to pieces. Today he grew into the game instead, set up a goal, and was the player allowing us to relieve pressure and counter properly in the second half.

- still far too much booting the ball towards Lukaku in the hope he can beat the entire opposition on his own. Young does this every time he is even slightly pressured. Stop it.
Hahhahhahhahahhaha

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If you watched the video, you must have seen the way Martial was asking for the ball in the buildup to the winning goal. The game would've gone to extra time if he did not score.

That's enough bite, aggression, and inspiration in a single event dare I say even better than what Sanchez showed yesterday.
Dude, I get that you are a Martial fan. Nothing wrong with that. But Martial does not possess the same "fight" as Sanchez.
If Martial could show that dogged determination, I am positive that Jose would pick him regularly. Jose loves fighters and those who follow instructions...eg. Fellaini. Martial doesn't have much fight in him (I've seen him in several games, where his head goes down). Sanchez on the other hand, is an absolute fighter, who will chase down lost causes, as we saw around the 80th minute of yesterday's game.

Also, don't forget to support the club. The club is bigger than a manager or any player.
Support the manager and the players who are playing the match, rather than berating them.

We won an important match yesterday and I did state earlier in this thread that very few people were posting. I suspect that this may be because the "Jose Out" crowd had nothing to moan about, though privately, I am sure these people were seething that we won.

It's crazy that these people want us to stop winning trophies, so that Jose leaves, in order to get in a manager, who can win trophies. :houllier:

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I've always liked Poch, but how can he come out in a semi-final of the only cup you've got a shot of winning and say it's not a must-win game? How a manager of a supposedly top football club cannot aim to win anything is crazy, it seemed like Southampton were more ambitious. I think he'll do some great things in his career, but god he's got to actually want to first. You tell your players it doesn't matter when the other manager is screaming at them telling them its the most important game we have left, and you don't stand a chance before the ball has even been kicked. If they'd played like they did for the first 20 minutes we wouldn't have got near them, but they just sort of stopped and never even tried to play for the rest of the game.

How are we still playing Young at LB though? He was horrific and every chance they got was down to his mistake (maybe not soley him, but he was always in the mix).

Anyway, couldn't be happier, making come-backs has gone from something I never expect and back to "our thing" again in the space of a few weeks. Sure the final is going to be dramatic whatever happens.

Offsideagain

Why the media didn’t highlight the shocking tackles Alli did on Lingard and Valencia plus Dier on Lingard, I don’t know. Maybe cos ex-Liverpool and Spurs player Danny Murphy was looking away then and Jenas also must have missed it.

Disgusting tackles, will our wonderful FA ban these two England Internationals? Nah.

GazTheLegend

Why the media didn’t highlight the shocking tackles Alli did on Lingard and Valencia plus Dier on Lingard, I don’t know. Maybe cos ex-Liverpool and Spurs player Danny Murphy was looking away then and Jenas also must have missed it.

Disgusting tackles, will our wonderful FA ban these two England Internationals? Nah.
It’s a LOT more scandalous than the Smalling/Kane tweets. Two fellow England players going in on the ankle of one of their team mates a few months before the World Cup?

Can you imagine the outrage if our side had behaved the same way? People say there’s little to no bias in the media against us but it’s hard to agree when they completely and utterly blank atrocious tackles in their analysis the way that MOTD did. I’m still furious about it and hopefully the clubs nudged the FA, particularly with regard to the stamp on Sanchez in the third minute of the game.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It’s a LOT more scandalous than the Smalling/Kane tweets. Two fellow England players going in on the ankle of one of their team mates a few months before the World Cup?

Can you imagine the outrage if our side had behaved the same way? People say there’s little to no bias in the media against us but it’s hard to agree when they completely and utterly blank atrocious tackles in their analysis the way that MOTD did. I’m still furious about it and hopefully the clubs nudged the FA, particularly with regard to the stamp on Sanchez in the third minute of the game.
Calm down Gaz.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just realised the final is on my birthday. They have to win it now.

Full bodied red

This....Absolutely....

wolvored

Peddling falsehood? You new members really should not talk crap. Don’t get me wrong. Martial is clearly a talent and he has been underused. Sanchez has not been firing at all until yesterday. But Sanchez is obviously a better player at this point in their respective careers and yesterday’s performance refuted a lot of negative comments against him. My point is that Martial needs to learn how to graft and fight through adversity and not look lazy or pissed off everytime he loses the ball but just stands there. Fact is, he hasn’t improved in 2 years in his all around game. I guess you will say’s that’s Mou’s fault.
I have said this a few times on other threads. His best season was his first and he hasnt improved at all. If he doesnt want to sign a new contract sell him and get another player in his place. His output isnt that great overall when you look at other wide forwards eg Salah and Sane.

NotATroll

I've always liked Poch, but how can he come out in a semi-final of the only cup you've got a shot of winning and say it's not a must-win game? How a manager of a supposedly top football club cannot aim to win anything is crazy, it seemed like Southampton were more ambitious. I think he'll do some great things in his career, but god he's got to actually want to first. You tell your players it doesn't matter when the other manager is screaming at them telling them its the most important game we have left, and you don't stand a chance before the ball has even been kicked.
Pochettino didn't say the game didn't matter, he said the PL and CL were more important. And he's right: we won the FA Cup in 2016 but going out of the CL in the group-stage that season and coming 5th in the PL killed Van Gaal.

And Mourinho wasn't telling the players the game was the most important we have left. He said after the game that 2nd is what will make this season a successful one, regardless of whether we win a trophy.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Pochettino didn't say the game didn't matter, he said the PL and CL were more important. And he's right: we won the FA Cup in 2016 but going out of the CL in the group-stage that season and coming 5th in the PL killed Van Gaal.

And Mourinho wasn't telling the players the game was the most important we have left. He said after the game that 2nd is what will make this season a successful one, regardless of whether we win a trophy.
He is right, but it doesn't matter, they're already out of them and this was all they had left. May as well have came out and talked about global warming, it's equally relevant to the match they were about to play. They aren't choosing between one or the other. You can't kick your toys out the pram because you didn't win the big prize and not even try for any of the others.

I know he wasn't I'm just talking about attitude before games. If you set off as if it doesn't matter against a team who think it does, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage straight away. And do you believe any more than me that Jose doesn't want to win another cup this year? And do you not believe he's telling them players they should be winning it? It's not as good as the CL, but that ship's sailed this season.

prateik

Ah.. the classic drawing lines and triangles after the match and passing off bs as tactical analysis.

I don't understand why these experts never do an indepth analysis before the match predicting how teams are likely to play.. Its always working backwards.

Acole9

Outstanding

Yeah he made a complete fool out of himself and then tried to back himself up when the account apologised.

On to the game, I really enjoyed it, I thought it was a really good match.

Jig1234

Yeah he made a complete fool out of himself and then tried to back himself up when the account apologised.

On to the game, I really enjoyed it, I thought it was a really good match.
Fantastic result. Was great to be there. Hope I get a ticket to the final. I applied this morning.

Man of the Match

Alexis Sanchez image Alexis Sanchez 44% of 750 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 507 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw